HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 6:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco(bsu) Fan View Post
And BSU wouldn't benefit from playing ranked teams in Conference and OOC, a higher SOS, higher revenues from Bowls, TV Contracts, better competition in Basketball and other sports, etc? BSU wouldn't benefit from being in a much more respected conference, one that has a firmer financial situation, offers better competition, and recruits better despite the fact that ESPN doesn't carry MWC home games?

Boise State is rapidly transforming their academic and athletic programs before our very eyes in the crappy situation they stuck in with the WAC. Imagine what we could do with even more money and a fairly possible AQ bid if we were to join the MWC. The MWC is not over-hyped, and I'm fairly sure that the MWC would offer competition in all sports that is light years ahead of anything the WAC could muster.

Besides even though its all about "prestige" I'm pretty sure average GPA of incoming students, retention percentage, the amount of money granted to the school for research, and doctorate-level programs might have something to do with it, and right now we don't even stack up to the MWC, let alone the PAC-10. We are improving, and the further away we can get from the "BJC" legacy the more it will. The first two will improve themselves over time due to the spinning off of community college programs to CWI.

Now, enough about this, lets discuss some football.

Hey if you ever want to get real with MWC discussions, let me know, I post on a high traffic MWC board.. Some think I'm anti-BSU but I'm not, I just have a hard time with some delusional BSU fans.. Guys like you get the big picture though..

Honestly, I think success has got to some of your fanbase's head but it's really nice to see some rational BSU fans posting..

PM me if you're interested. You seem like a big CFB nut like me..

Last edited by utenation; Sep 22, 2009 at 7:17 AM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 1:53 AM

Frankly, I hope BSU stays out of the MWC. There are only a few good teams that comprise it.. Give a few more years and I bet the WAC beats the MWC and everyone will want to move to the WAC..

You can keep the sinking ship MWC..

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKid View Post
Frankly, I hope BSU stays out of the MWC. There are only a few good teams that comprise it.. Give a few more years and I bet the WAC beats the MWC and everyone will want to move to the WAC..

You must not follow college football outside of Boise State. The WAC is the sinking ship, last year it was Boise State at 12-0 then 5 teams that went 7-5 and 6-6 then the bottom teams who the 7-5 and 6-6 teams beat up on. The MWC has three excellent teams, two good teams, and three not as good teams that at least compete. Out of the 9 teams that compose the MWC, 7 of 9 have won against a BCS team on the road within the last two seasons. The lone exceptions are CSU and SDSU. The WAC has had 3 of 9 teams do the same(hell, it took BSU till last year to finally do it). So even the MWC's not so great teams have what it takes to knock off a decent opponent. I wish I could say the same about the WAC.

The WAC has one good team, and then 5 mediocre teams, and three crap teams. Not much of a comparison. And of those 5 mediocre teams 4 have been getting worse since 2006 and there aren't any serious discussions about firing the coaches yet. None. The few bright spots in the WAC are that two of our crap teams are showing signs of a pulse, and one of the mediocre teams is showing signs of improving. Those three schools are LTU, UI, and USU. Those three schools still haven't done anything remotely respectable(save UI, who played WU straight up, and didn't run up yards in garbage time, they just needed touchdowns and not field goals). Until those three become respectable(which will take at least 3 more years) the WAC will be BSU and the eight little dwarfs. UNR, FSU, SJSU, UH, and NMSU are all getting worse, or just barely holding on to the little smidgen of success they once had. I'd much rather be in the MWC.

Last edited by bronco(bsu) Student; Sep 23, 2009 at 2:22 AM. Reason: some housecleaning

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 2:36 AM

Quote:

You must not follow college football outside of Boise State. The WAC is the sinking ship, last year it was Boise State at 12-0 then 5 teams that went 7-5 and 6-6 then the bottom teams who the 7-5 and 6-6 teams beat up on. The MWC has three excellent teams, two good teams, and three not as good teams that at least compete.
What about the dreaded Wyoming cowgirls or UNM?? The WAC has three good teams too... BSU, Fresno and Hawaii. Not perfect, no, but give it some time. That's all I'm saying.. Pendulums can swing. Give it some time..

I think BSU should stay out the MWC. It's overrated.. What I'd like to see is more WAC vs MWC games.

They don't want us anyways.. Screw them...

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 2:44 AM

Wyoming beat Tennessee on the road last year, and UNM may be down as of right now, but they still beat the hell out of NMSU, which is one of our bottom teams. Fresno state is 1-2, and went 6-6 last year. Fresno State hasn't done anything of consequence since 2006. Nevada looks terrible, and will probably lose to UI and USU this year. Hawaii has not been the same since the departure of June Jones and Colt Brennan, and even that team was overrated. Did you see what happened to them in the Sugar Bowl? That and Hawaii has yet to play consistantly on the mainland.

Meanwhile, BYU lost to a team that matches up really well with them. BYU struggles against teams with a lot of speed. Utah lost a lot from last year, but will still win 9 to 10 games. TCU has been consistent over the last few years as well, and in 2005 would've qualified for the BCS under the current rules with one loss. That is something BSU has yet to accomplish, and wont be able to as long as they are in the WAC.

Once again, I'd rather take three BSU level teams, then about 4 teams that are one the same level or better than Fresno State and Hawaii. The WAC has BSU and that is pretty much it. Look to my last post where I point out some bright spots in the WAC.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 2:57 AM

Like I said, give it some time. Next years headlines may not be the same and BSU has a better chance to make it in the BCS with the WAC.. To heck with the MWC...

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 3:00 AM

But when you look at the trends in the WAC, and the trends in the MWC, giving it time won't fix anything either. 4 of 5 of the WAC's mediocre teams have been getting worse since 2006. W-L records prove that. The WAC's worst team isn't getting any better, and the other two teams of the bottom three are improving, but they are so behind the curve that it will take at least three years of consistent improvement for them to even be respectable. The MWC is already there, the WAC is floundering. No contest.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 5:39 AM

Nevada, San Jose, Hawaii, they are getting worse. No doubt about it. La Tech has some talent, so does Fresno State and both Idaho and Utah State have made some big gains.

The WAC is holding BSU down. It would be nice to go to the Mountain West, but it wouldn't be all peaches and cream. the Mountain West has VERY poor television coverage. Boise has at least SEVEN games on ESPN. Utah has none scheduled to date (outside the Oregon game). Boise State markets itself much better than both the Utes or BYU.

Also, the MW does have some good teams now, but they are not very consistant. Before 2004, where was the MW?

This is a rebuilding year for Utah, just like last year was a reloading year for BSU. BSU still did alright, losing a close game (one point) to the best the MW could offer, and BSU only playing their 2s and 3s on the D line to boot.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 5:58 AM

True, pre-2004 the MWC didn't have a team that stuck out, but they've been consistent in producing two to three good teams a year. The WAC has had one consistent team, with a few showing signs of success, but then faltering out. As far as I can tell, the MWC is on a surer footing.

For the TV contract, its true their situation is far from ideal, but they get a decent amount of money for it, and with BSU they might even get a few games on CBS, due to the higher value of the conference. The more the MWC can win(and it looks like there are at least three consistent programs with a few more improving) the better their TV deal will start to look. Besides, UU, BYU, TCU, AFA, and CSU seem to be recruiting and doing just fine despite the games not being on ESPN. UNLV is improving, but Wyo, SDSU, and UNM are all rebuilding projects.

I'd lump Fresno in with Hawaii, SJSU, and Nevada. They've fallen a long way from where they used to be, and seem to be ok with being mediocre. Talent doesn't mean anything when its not coupled with the right attitude. La Tech on the other hand seems to be committed to improvement, and coupled with their talent should be a respectable team in a few years if a BCS school doesn't swoop in and poach Dooley. USU and Idaho are making gains, but it will take a long time to separate themselves from the stigma attached to those two programs.

While all is not lost in the WAC, I feel we would be much better off in the MWC, because they've been consistent post 2004, and the leadership seems committed to maintaining that level, and the leadership of the lower teams seems committed to improving their lot. I wish I could say the same about the WAC.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 6:19 AM

U of I should go back to divisional 1-AA. Lol

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 6:29 AM

Eh, a few years ago after the Dennis Erickson debacle, I would've agreed. Now that U of I is showing some improvement, and Akey looks like he's willing to stay there for the long haul, all is not lost in old northern barn

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 8:46 AM
Wen Lambo

Pre '04?...In 2001 BYU was ranked 7th before losing their top running back in the 11th game but still ended up like 16th that year in the final poll.

True, BYU had its down years from 02-04 but they were solid in the 90's (finished #4 in the final 1996 poll, Heisman winner in 1990, defeated #1 team in the nation)... of course at that point, the WERE the WAC.

The real glory years were in the 80s (national champions in 84) Of all the teams mentioned, BYU is really the only one with history backing its argument. BSU, TCU and Utah have really only come on strong in the past decade or so.

It would be in BSU's best interest to join the MWC... and i think most MWC fans wouldnt mind them joining. At that point, the Mtn West would definitely surpass the Big East...

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch_One View Post
Pre '04?...In 2001 BYU was ranked 7th before losing their top running back in the 11th game but still ended up like 16th that year in the final poll.

True, BYU had its down years from 02-04 but they were solid in the 90's (finished #4 in the final 1996 poll, Heisman winner in 1990, defeated #1 team in the nation)... of course at that point, the WERE the WAC.

The real glory years were in the 80s (national champions in 84) Of all the teams mentioned, BYU is really the only one with history backing its argument. BSU, TCU and Utah have really only come on strong in the past decade or so.

It would be in BSU's best interest to join the MWC... and i think most MWC fans wouldnt mind them joining. At that point, the Mtn West would definitely surpass the Big East...
As you said, all of that success was in the WAC. And you are very mistaken if you think BSU hasn't had success before the last decade. BSU does have two national championships. True, they are JC and I-AA, but that is where Boise played at the time.

National Championships (2)
1958 (JC), 1980 (I-AA)

Boise State football has a very winning history. Wherever we are.

Junior College Record: 199-61-9 (.757)
University Record: 343-143-2 (.703)
WAC Record: 61-4 (.938)

Big Sky Conference Championships (6)
1973, 1974, 1975, 1977, 1980, 1994

Big West Conference Championships (2)
1999, 2000

Western Athletic Conference Championships (6)
2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 7:27 PM
NYC Rick

Now the below quote is absolutely hilarious...

Quote:

You can try to convince yourself FOREVER that the WAC is a great conference but when viewed around the nation...basically the WAC is one team and sometimes if a miracle happens 2 teams.

Those would be Boise and Fresno.

The MWC may have its own teams that under perform but the top is known everywhere. Utah, TCU and BYU are talked about with total respect.

BSU is also talked about this way. Fresno....not quite.

I would love to see Boise in the MWC but I would much rather see Utah in the PAC.

Bottom line... if you think anyone would aspire to be in the WAC then you are even more delusional than your statements, which are pretty uninformed and wannabe!

Thanks for the laugh!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 1:36 AM

Nevermind

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jard View Post
Big West Conference Championships (2)
1999, 2000

Western Athletic Conference Championships (6)
2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008
Weird to think we've one a conference championship eight of the last ten years. 2001 when we first moved to the WAC, and 2007 when we lost to Hawai'i. Very consistent.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 6:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East2Westback View Post
Y
Bottom line... if you think anyone would aspire to be in the WAC then you are even more delusional than your statements, which are pretty uninformed and wannabe!

Thanks for the laugh!
Funny that you can predict the future... I just don't want a bunch of Mormon boys stinking up my blue field..

Thanks for the laugh!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Funny that you can predict the future... I just don't want a bunch of Mormon boys stinking up my blue field..

Thanks for the laugh!
All one has to do is look at the trends between the two, the MWC has been trending up, and the WAC down(and it looks like its just going to get worse. I'm not going to repeat myself, again) Funny that you mention the whole Mormon thing, I can guarantee that a good many BSU fans are LDS, as well as a few of the players. One of the best kickers we had was Mormon(Tyler Jones). Besides, BYU is still a decent team, FSU just matched up really well with them. BYU has historically been shredded by fast quarterbacks.

Besides, religion shouldn't play a major role in CFB. All it does is cheapen the discourse.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Funny that you mention the whole Mormon thing, I can guarantee that a good many BSU fans are LDS, as well as a few of the players. One of the best kickers we had was Mormon(Tyler Jones). Besides, BYU is still a decent team, FSU just matched up really well with them. BYU has historically been shredded by fast quarterbacks.

Besides, religion shouldn't play a major role in CFB. All it does is cheapen the discourse.
I was saying that for a joke, but fyi, most of the BSU fans are not LDS since Boise is only about 15% LDS, also the team is predominately Catholic including Kellen Moore. LDS are mainly in eastern Idaho, especially in ISU.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 9:43 PM
NYC Rick

Totally lame response...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy View Post
no just seems a bad year for a mwc team is justifiable.. when a bad year for bsu is not...
fact of the matter is.. the mountain west is seeking respect... and well you lose all your gains from the previous year when your last years conference champ loses out to oregon.. and your other conference heavyweight loses to an unranked team all in the same weekend...
Perhaps we should ask TCU their opinion on the matter?
You do not lose respect when " and well you lose all your gains from the previous year when your last years conference champ loses out to oregon"..

Utah lost a lot of its stud players and has many first year players learning on the fly. We played like a team with a lot of new players and we still almost won in Eugene. Autzen is one of the toughest places to win anywhere. So goes life when you are in a rebuild mode. BYU lost to Florida State, which is much better than its previous last few years. Big deal... I do not like BY High but beating Oklahoma is a pretty nice feather in the cap.

Boise State is a very good program and no one can say enough on how far they have come.

I would love to see them in the MWC. The rest of the WAC can stay home...well I like Fresno State also. I did find it hilarious that SDSU lost to Idaho.

You do not lose your gains by one loss. Also, no matter how you cut it the MWC has national respect. No fan of Utah, BY High or TCU does not realize that you can have losses.

The WAC...has you and really that is it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West