HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 2:17 AM
Always running Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by utenation View Post
I'm sure there are those that are equally sick of the Boise posters.. Who made you police? I don't claim my thoughts represent anyone's but mine.. Nor would I try to "reign" another poster in because of regional ties.

I noticed you had nothing to say to guys like California Kid that have attacked a religion... Maybe you need to police your own since you're so concerned...

I've simply presented facts to wrong theories and numbers... Sorry that doesn't go down soft for you...

I like Boise but some of these theories presented by their posters have been wrong...
first of all california kid doesn't live in boise... only went to school here from what I know..
and second of all.. many of us DID speak out against his comments in which he apologized...
would you just stop already?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 2:58 AM

goosefraba everybody. Repeat.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 3:03 AM

Quote:
I think it was Cottonwood that claimed Boise is a Catholic haven as well.. Who knew a small town like Boise had it's own Little Italy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
Hmmmmm. Maybe this is the reason Boise, especially downtown has so many coffee houses, wine bars, martini bars, and they are always packed. I believe Boise's largest religious faith is Roman Catholic. But you don't have to be on what might be considered the Lords Side to be a success as long as everyone gets along and plays well!
Wiki info isn't always reliable but this shows Cottonwood like his buddy just pulls info out of his rear end and expects people to buy it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idaho#Religion

Some of these Boise Posters have some big dreams without the bank account to back them up....

Classic...
Well, Cottonwood was talking about the religious demographics of BOISE, you've provided a link to the religious demographics of the entire state of Idaho. There's a big difference. For one thing, the majority of the Mormons live in Eastern Idaho, not western Idaho where Boise is located. Boise has a large Basque population. Basques are mainly Catholic.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
Well, Cottonwood was talking about the religious demographics of BOISE, you've provided a link to the religious demographics of the entire state of Idaho. There's a big difference. For one thing, the majority of the Mormons live in Eastern Idaho, not western Idaho where Boise is located. Boise has a large Basque population. Basques are mainly Catholic.

I also found an article that was dated(2000) that still shows LDS as the major religion in Boise...

I didn't look too hard for anything current. So unless there has been a mass migration of catholic folks to Boise the last 10 years, I'll assume LDS still holds the top spot given their proximity to Utah and the growth of that religion in the area..

http://www.thearda.com/mapsReports/r.../1080_2000.asp

It looks like Prodestants are holding their own in the area as well..

I'd be happy to look at something that shows the dominant religion as Catholic..

Do you have anything?

Last edited by utenation; Oct 10, 2009 at 4:11 AM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 4:06 AM
Always running Late

Quote:
I also found an article that was dated(2000) that still shows LDS as the major religion in Boise...

I didn't look too hard for anything current. So unless there has been a mass migration of cathloic folks to Boise the last 10 years, I'll assume LDS still hold the top spot given their proximity to Utah and the growth of that religion in the area..

http://www.thearda.com/mapsReports/r.../1080_2000.asp

I'd be happy to look at something that shows the dominant religion as Catholic..

Do you have anything?
religion is off topic in this thread... but you're right in the boise METRO lds is 15% and the majority..but Boise city like salt lake city proper is much lower 10% and boise city is where the bulk of the basque community is...
Even church publication puts boise metro at 64,000 lds members..
so you do the math... one rinky dink temple..
church is shrinking here inspite of what you might think.. I have a friend that wants to get married and she's lds.. she took a job in west valley utah teaching this fall because she says there's a better "husband pool" down there..
I found that hard to believe.. she really didn't want to move, but didn't see her life going where she wanted it to go here in boise with the dating pool and her beliefs...

mind you the church would be considering myself and my boyfriend as part of that 15 percent LDS population...
which is laughable...I would suspect the church does the same thing in utah...

http://www.spiritus-temporis.com/ida...ographics.html

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy View Post
religion is off topic in this thread... but you're right in the boise METRO lds is 15% and the majority..but Boise city like salt lake city proper is much lower 10% and boise city is where the bulk of the basque community is...
Even church publication puts boise metro at 64,000 lds members..
so you do the math... one rinky dink temple..
church is shrinking here inspite of what you might think.. I have a friend that wants to get married and she's lds.. she took a job in west valley utah teaching this fall because she says there's a better "husband pool" down there..
I found that hard to believe.. she really didn't want to move, but didn't see her life going where she wanted it to go here in boise with the dating pool and her beliefs...

mind you the church would be considering myself and my boyfriend as part of that 15 percent LDS population...
which is laughable...I would suspect the church does the same thing in utah...

http://www.spiritus-temporis.com/ida...ographics.html

Religion has been discussed on may places on this forum.. I normally don't get into religion but in this situation, it applies... Meaning another possible major Pro team to SLC..

I think SLC is just a hair under 50% LDS and shrinking.. Combine that with the diversity coming in and our growth rate, I think SLC will be a player in the future for another pro team...

Real Salt Lake is growing like wildfire here... Just hosted a World Cup qualifying event a few weeks back...

The big drawback for the LDS religion(as far as sports) in SLC is attending games on Sundays...

I don't doubt Boise's future potential and Hockey(like you said might be something they could handle or even an NBA team... Boise residents seem rabid about their sports, not sure what other farm league teams you have there besides NBDL..

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 2:58 PM

What the hell happened here?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Religion has been discussed on may places on this forum.. I normally don't get into religion but in this situation, it applies... Meaning another possible major Pro team to SLC..

I think SLC is just a hair under 50% LDS and shrinking.. Combine that with the diversity coming in and our growth rate, I think SLC will be a player in the future for another pro team...
According to the Salt Lake Tribune, as of 2004 SLC was under 40% Mormon, Salt Lake County 53%.

According to Pew Research, Utah as a whole was 58% Mormon as of 2008.

http://extras.sltrib.com/specials/LD...Lake&Submit=go

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_2886596

http://www.religionnewsblog.com/1282...jority-shrinks

http://religions.pewforum.org/pdf/re...study-full.pdf

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy View Post
first of all california kid doesn't live in boise... only went to school here from what I know..
and second of all.. many of us DID speak out against his comments in which he apologized...
would you just stop already?
That is true... I live near San Jose, CA... I've apologized, but if utenation ever wants to discuss religion or Mormonism, I'd be more than happy to address it.. But probably in a different forum.

I'll give you an education....

Last edited by CaliforniaKid; Oct 11, 2009 at 3:59 AM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 4:36 PM
Bring out the cranes...

What a great comeback by the Utes yesterday after they were down 3-17. CSU were kicking some ass right after the half by making two touchdowns. At that point I was losing faith that the Utes could come back. But they did in the 4th, by making a few touchdowns of their own.
Final score 24-17 Utes!!!
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 5:05 PM
Arachnid Wrangler

yeah, yeah... ruin home coming weekend... lol

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKid View Post
That is true... I live near San Jose, CA... I've apologized, but if utenation ever wants to discuss religion or Mormonism, I'd be more than happy to address it.. But probably in a different forum.

I'll give you an education....

I'm sure I could hold my own but I'll pass, I don't like to debate relgious topics...

I'm not LDS btw... In case that was your angle...

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acw007 View Post
yeah, yeah... ruin home coming weekend... lol
Good game.. You guys should have stuck with the run... A gritty comeback by Utah... Cain was a monster in the 4th Qtr and Rovert Johnson saved our butts.

Crowd looked good despite the weather..

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 8:21 PM

Nice comeback for the Utes. They are now 24th in the AP. BYU romped all over UNLV, which was to be expected.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 8:40 PM

Quote:
I'm sure I could hold my own but I'll pass, I don't like to debate relgious topics...

I'm not LDS btw... In case that was your angle...
Oh, I get it now... That's why you were trying to show more LDS in Boise...

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Nope. Just pointing out where Cottonwood was wrong...

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 11:39 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Quote:
Nope. Just pointing out where Cottonwood was wrong...
I do not believe Cottonwood was incorrect with the statement you quoted because the web link you provided is almost a decade old and Boise has grown swiftly since then and there has been a large influx of Catholics, so much that every Catholic parish in the city has expanded and some have even built new cathedral size buildings to keep up with the growth.

There is not an LDS Church in the downtown/inner city area except for the small student ward chapel at BSU. There are two stake centers I can think of, the closest to downtown and they are far flung. The western areas of Boise and into Meridian and the burbs have more LDS chapels and members. There is a little tiny dinky seminary building for Boise High but the seminary building is about the size of most garages in suburban homes.

The LDS religion has little influence in Boise or the city government. The Catholic Church and certain yearly city events that happen such as Basque festivals are much more evident in Boise than any LDS activity. Our mayor is Roman Catholic. I might have to say the Rosary for you if you keep this up

So this being said lets end the topic of religion you have pushed and get back to Football.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
I do not believe Cottonwood was incorrect with the statement you quoted because the web link you provided is almost a decade old and Boise has grown swiftly since then and there has been a large influx of Catholics, so much that every Catholic parish in the city has expanded and some have even built new cathedral size buildings to keep up with the growth.

There is not an LDS Church in the downtown/inner city area except for the small student ward chapel at BSU. There are two stake centers I can think of, the closest to downtown and they are far flung. The western areas of Boise and into Meridian and the burbs have more LDS chapels and members. There is a little tiny dinky seminary building for Boise High but the seminary building is about the size of most garages in suburban homes.

The LDS religion has little influence in Boise or the city government. The Catholic Church and certain yearly city events that happen such as Basque festivals are much more evident in Boise than any LDS activity. Our mayor is Roman Catholic. I might have to say the Rosary for you if you keep this up

So this being said lets end the topic of religion you have pushed and get back to Football.
Great post Sawtooth!!! Looks like things haven't changed since I left in 85. Btw, I went to Bishop Kelly Catholic H.S. in the 70's - 80's and boy has it grown since I left.

How true, many Catholics live in Boise including the quarterback Kellen Moore and the governor Otter Butch..

St. John's Cathedral is awesome too...

Blessings...

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 5:47 AM

Quote:
I think Boise has its share of LDS activity. (each pink dot represents an LDS church, or related service)

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 5:47 AM

Quote:

You guys need to make up your mind.. Boiseguy provides a more recent link and also states LDS is still the big dog, then you say it's not.. I'm all about correct info with support... And I haven't seen much from you folks, just assumptions.

Frankly I don't care either way... Boise actually sounds pretty diverse to me which is a good thing, IMO.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West