HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 9:06 PM

Not that either of these cities have 'small skylines', but I can see Winnipeg and Edmonton getting taller and more dynamic skylines, as the latter has already been experiencing with Stantec and JW punching well above the old height limit). Montreal could really take off to another level too if its height limit were removed as it does nothing for the city. Same with Halifax.

In terms of actually small skylines that could make a leap, Saskatoon or Regina have the growth and potential. Kelowna, too, and maybe Kitchener-Waterloo or London. Quebec City in the Sainte-Foy area, perhaps.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 9:39 PM

I think we will continue to see San Antonio's skyline grow out rather than up. What SA has that makes it so unique and ripe for development is its collection of old/walkable neighborhoods and a downtown that rivals European city centers. I can imagine SA becoming a stronger tourist destination post-Covid.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielG425 View Post
I think we will continue to see San Antonio's skyline grow out rather than up. What SA has that makes it so unique and ripe for development is its collection of old/walkable neighborhoods and a downtown that rivals European city centers. I can imagine SA becoming a stronger tourist destination post-Covid.
I enjoyed my visit to San Antonio, but this is a reach

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 4:42 AM
Never Dell

It's hard to imagine a city less European than San Antonio. Maybe if it had four times the density.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 2:48 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Last edited by MonkeyRonin; Oct 6, 2020 at 4:17 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 4:55 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
It's hard to imagine a city less European than San Antonio. Maybe if it had four times the density.
I think he's referring to the historic downtown area which is mostly well preserved pre-war buildings but limited to a few blocks.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I think he's referring to the historic downtown area which is mostly well preserved pre-war buildings but limited to a few blocks.
Ok, yeah I think I was exaggerating, but I do think the city center (not the miles of sprawl beyond it) could be expanded upon to create the most walkable neighborhood in the state.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 1:03 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

I'd still vote for Edmonton which went from having a downtown airport and 480' height limit to no downtown airport and unlimited tower heights with one 850' already built with at least 1 more planned to go higher and dozens proposed in the 400' plus range...

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 3:11 AM
E pluribus unum

Nobody in Coconino County is open to my suggestion for a 20 story high rise in Downtown Flagstaff, where each floor is a different county department. Hell, add another dozen stories or so for the City of Flagstaff since nobody there can generate an original idea that doesn't incorporate student housing and hipster hangouts.

Personally, I think it'd solve a lot of our fiscal issues related to renting buildings for office space, but what the hell do I know?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions