HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Old Gatineau is, but Hull (Island and St. Joseph) and Aylmer, not as much. Plateau has potential to wean off the car-centricity.

With Techlologie, the only option will be driving. Only those who don't have a car will take whatever limited transit they'll have there, or Uber.

We need to give people options that are not the car. The "current" site offers that, and so would my proposed site from a few pages back.

It will be interesting to see the transit modal share once at the new Civic vs car-centric General campus.

Yup. That would have made more sense.
I don't believe that. Sure those neighbourhoods have a few shops and restaurants you can walk to but people drive to visit family, get to work and they will drive to the hospital wherever it is. The Civic is near a affluent neighbouhood and rapid transit. I can tell you my GF worked at the Civic and the modal share isn't great for walking or transit either. Though part of that is many people need to work at both locations so moving to near the Civic doesn't make sense for many. Nobody is moving to be closer or on a busline to the "current" Gatineau site.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 6:52 PM
Mooderator

If I'm REALLY sick or dying, I'm taking the ambulance. I ain't driving or taking transit.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
I don't believe that. Sure those neighbourhoods have a few shops and restaurants you can walk to but people drive to visit family, get to work and they will drive to the hospital wherever it is. The Civic is near a affluent neighbouhood and rapid transit. I can tell you my GF worked at the Civic and the modal share isn't great for walking or transit either. Though part of that is many people need to work at both locations so moving to near the Civic doesn't make sense for many. Nobody is moving to be closer or on a busline to the "current" Gatineau site.
The Rapibus is very popular, and the rue Edmonton site is right on it. Yes, workers will use the line if it's built there.

The Civic isn't considered near rapid transit by most definition, 1km is usually out of walking range. The Trillium line also didn't use to connect to much, and has bad frequencies.

If you want a better comparison, look at the Riverside hospital. With frequent buses and a station that's directly linked to the hospital, I'm sure the modal share is way better.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
If I'm REALLY sick or dying, I'm taking the ambulance. I ain't driving or taking transit.
That's why they picked a site next to the highway...

Transit to hospitals is for staff and appointments, which represents a lot of trips.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Cars are still very much part of the culture in the NCR. No one's debating that. And driving should remain an option. It just shouldn't be the only option. Not sure why that's such a controversial position.

I guess when I say car-centric, I think of places where the car is virtually the only option. If an area offers the possibility of moving around without a car, and encourages even car owners to leave the car at home, then it's less car-centric.

So Downtown - easy to get to by car, lots of parking, but not car-centric.
Old Gatineau - unless your going to le secteur de La Cité, car-centric because there's no other good option.

So yes, I believe a hospital should be centrally located with good access to transit and bike paths, for the outpatients, doctors and nurses on dayshifts, who don't want to drive, but also provide good access by car. The new Civic has all of that. The industrial site proposed for the Gatineau Hospital could also have that. Technologie? Cars only.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa