HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 1:08 AM

p.s. I know the discussion has moved on... but I would like to clarify that I'm not AGAINST a stadium. I'd be all for it depending on the location (i.e. anywhere but downtown / south end). I'm just not sure it makes sense right now or would actually happen anytime soon. But IF it did... I think it would be awesome.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 1:17 AM

We could set up a site similar to http://www.citadelhightheatre.com/

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 1:34 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
p.s. I know the discussion has moved on... but I would like to clarify that I'm not AGAINST a stadium. I'd be all for it depending on the location (i.e. anywhere but downtown / south end). I'm just not sure it makes sense right now or would actually happen anytime soon. But IF it did... I think it would be awesome.
When I read your posts I get the impression that you really want a stadium but you don't want to get your hopes up. I think that this is common in the maritimes and I can't blame you based on the Commonwealth Games failure. However, it would be best to try and fail than to just wait for something to happen. The politicians are the same as everyone else, they are worried about being involved in something that might fail, so they need to be supported by residents and non-residents of HRM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 1:49 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh M View Post
We could set up a site similar to http://www.citadelhightheatre.com/
This actually looks like a good start but make it a bit more flashy (example does someone know how to do a 3D animation of a fly pass of a (proposed) stadium located near the Halifax Forum site. Make it lit up at night and with a full house and a CFL game going on (I don't know how to do this). Something like the Trillium website video.

I don't know how to organize the donations. I would like to make a contribution but people will be very hesitant to donate if they are not sure about the security of their donation. I think it would be best to forget the donations for now until a secure Trust Fund is set up. It would have to be a recognized Trust fund that people will believe in. That is why I think that it would be best to start with a website, and then approach someone who is trusted in the provincial or municipal government to set up a trust fund. It would also be great if a large company like Sobeys would pledge to match any donations. It would also greatly help the cause if the donations were tax deductible (how about contacting Peter McKay, who might be able to set up the tax deductible status of donations).

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 2:03 AM

Well we would need someone to make some designs for a stadium, and I agree about the donations, we should have a proper trust fund set up too prove that we are legit, and wont just take your money.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 9:06 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh M View Post
Well we would need someone to make some designs for a stadium, and I agree about the donations, we should have a proper trust fund set up too prove that we are legit, and wont just take your money.
If it could be set up with the support of the HRM council as is the Citadel Legacy Fund ( http://www.halifax.ca/commcoun/pcc/d...CitadelGym.pdf ) then that would be a truly positive step forward. They also have people supporting this trust fund that are well known Nova Scotians such as Art Donahoe. For this stadium plan to succeed it will have to have similarly well know public figures involved.

Regarding the stadium designs, this will be refined over time, however, how about starting with this one in Akron. Ohio and show how it would look on the DND Willow Park lands (just north of the Halifax Forum).

Last edited by fenwick16; Nov 10, 2009 at 9:20 AM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 4:04 AM

In all seriousness though..that football field that was built out on Commodore Drive just outside Dartmouth Crossing...why couldn't a stadium be built around that?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 2:09 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
In all seriousness though..that football field that was built out on Commodore Drive just outside Dartmouth Crossing...why couldn't a stadium be built around that?
How about Trollope, Bell Road and Cogswell Street where the skatepark currently is? It is a good central location with good transit, fairly close to SMU and Dalhousie (in case they reinstate football). It seems like this part of the Halifax Commons isn't that revered a site since HRM has built both a skatepark and High school on it.

If Halifax is to build a stadium it would be best to have it in a densely populated area. This has been the trend for major sports stadiums and arenas across North America. I think that even for people outside the HRM in other parts of the province and outside the province it would be a drawing factor to have the opportunity to visit the old part of the city at the same time as attending a concert or football game. Although the Dartmouth Crossings site likely has relatively inexpensive land it is pretty much like any suburb in North America.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
When I read your posts I get the impression that you really want a stadium but you don't want to get your hopes up.
Well, I don't watch sports... so I'm actually Stadium-agnostic.

Quote:
However, it would be best to try and fail than to just wait for something to happen.
Can't argue with you there.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 3:11 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
Well, I don't watch sports... so I'm actually Stadium-agnostic.
I forgot that some people just aren't that interested in sports. On the other hand, I would fly down to Halifax just to see a game if Halifax were in the CFL.

There are other uses for a stadium besides sports, for example, the Metro Centre is used for more than just sports events. However, without a strong proponent of a stadium in the HRM council then it likely will not happen. If not, then I can only hope that Moncton will succeed in getting a CFL team. It would be good to see at least one Maritime team in the CFL.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 6:00 PM

Not a huge sports fan myself, but I'd go to the occasional game if we had a stadium.

My interest in a stadium would be as a music venue. It's frustrating having to travel to Montreal or Toronto to see a show because we don't have a suitable site. It would be nice to see the one or two 'big' concerts on the commons become a little more, well, common. O.o

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 6:17 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
I forgot that some people just aren't that interested in sports. On the other hand, I would fly down to Halifax just to see a game if Halifax were in the CFL.

There are other uses for a stadium besides sports, for example, the Metro Centre is used for more than just sports events. However, without a strong proponent of a stadium in the HRM council then it likely will not happen. If not, then I can only hope that Moncton will succeed in getting a CFL team. It would be good to see at least one Maritime team in the CFL.
I think the odds of Moncton getting a CFL team are extremely low. The business case would depend on the Halifax market supporting it whereas the Halifax market could go it alone. I wonder if there are any other cities in North America with a metro population of ~300-400k that have no stadium at all (3500 seats at SMU doesn't really count) plus brag about having three universities?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
How about Trollope, Bell Road and Cogswell Street where the skatepark currently is? It is a good central location with good transit, fairly close to SMU and Dalhousie (in case they reinstate football). It seems like this part of the Halifax Commons isn't that revered a site since HRM has built both a skatepark and High school on it.
I would love to see the size cow the friends of the common folks would shit if they heard that

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 12:39 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
'A beehive of activity’
$40.5 million Canada Games Centre expected to be weather-tight by December
Halifax News Net
By Lindsay Jones – The Weekly News

The 176,000 square foot centre, which is currently under construction on the Halifax Mainland Common, is on schedule for November 2010 completion. The facility will be a primary sport venue for the February 2011 Games.

The field house is now up and the concrete was just poured into the pool of the $40.5 million Canada Games Centre being built on the Halifax Mainland Common.
The facility will be a primary sports venue for the February 2011 Games, hosting badminton, artistic gymnastics and synchronized swimming.
The 176,000 sq. ft. state-of-the-art community recreation facility is expected to be weather-tight by December, said Margaret Soley, co-
ordinator of infrastructure partnerships for the Canada Games Centre.
“That’s quite a milestone for us, and then construction will move indoors,” Soley said.
“We admit, this is a very aggressive timeline, but so far, we’ve had success in meeting key dates.
“It’s a beehive of activity up there right now. We’re very lucky the weather has been as good as it has. We’re not delayed.”
She said the centre is on target to be complete by November 2010, but the 160 workers who are on site every day still have a lot of work to do.
Last week, the elevator tracts were installed. Now, the aquatic centre is in the works. The structural steel went up last week. And the concrete was poured into the 25-metre, eight-lane competitive pool, the leisure pool, toddler pool, and hydrotherapy pool, which is being built to soothe athletes’ sore muscles.

MATERIALS IN THE CANADA GAMES CENTRE

* 140,000 concrete blocks
* Over 175 kilometres of wiring and cable – that’s equal to the distance between Halifax and New Glasgow
* 1.3 million kilograms of structural steel
* Over 4,000 cubic metres of concrete
* 16,000 square metres of roofing
If this was all one structure then it would be large enough for a football field and stands. A football field is 195 feet by 450 feet equal to 87,750 square feet (8,150 square meters). I am just pointing this out as a point of interest, as I know it wasn't designed for football. It just makes me think that if a structure like this was build over a sunken bowl then Halifax would have an enclosed football stadium. Is this structure really this large?

(source http://www.halifax.ca/CanadaGamesCentre/webcamera.html )

I guess I should forget about the Halifax Commons as the site of a football stadium. I didn't realize that there was a organization called the "friends of the commons" (now I know). In that case I would go with the second choice of the Halifax Forum area.

Last edited by fenwick16; Mar 9, 2011 at 9:37 AM. Reason: removed bold font

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 10:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
I think the odds of Moncton getting a CFL team are extremely low. The business case would depend on the Halifax market supporting it whereas the Halifax market could go it alone. I wonder if there are any other cities in North America with a metro population of ~300-400k that have no stadium at all (3500 seats at SMU doesn't really count) plus brag about having three universities?
Not to hijack your thread, but a lot of Haligonians seem to think that football is not important in Moncton. I am here to inform you that it is.....

The NB high school provincial football final was held on the weekend at Rocky Stone Field in Moncton. Two Moncton high schools (Moncton High and Harrison Trimble High) were in the final. The contest attracted a boisterous crowd of over 5,000 spectators!!! If we can get 5,000 out to a high school game, I think we can get 20,000 out for the CFL.

Football is important in Moncton and our intentions towards the CFL are serious. You guys had better get started on your new stadium pronto.

I am not trying to be inflammatory here, in fact I would love to see Halifax get a brand new stadium too. You deserve it.

One final note - on the CTV news this evening, there was an item about the Uteck Bowl and the comment was made on the newscast that because of the poor condition of Saint Mary's Stadium, there was a 7 out of 10 chance that the championship could be moved out of Halifax next year, perhaps (horrors) even to Moncton!!

That is the sort of bomb that you guys should be using to inflame civic passion in favour of a new stadium. I think the time is ripe for a strong citizen's effort in Halifax in favour of a new stadium. It's time to put the pressure on Peter Kelly and regional council.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 10:54 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Not to hijack your thread, but a lot of Haligonians seem to think that football is not important in Moncton. I am here to inform you that it is.....

The NB high school provincial football final was held on the weekend at Rocky Stone Field in Moncton. Two Moncton high schools (Moncton High and Harrison Trimble High) were in the final. The contest attracted a boisterous crowd of over 5,000 spectators!!! If we can get 5,000 out to a high school game, I think we can get 20,000 out for the CFL.

Football is important in Moncton and our intentions towards the CFL are serious. You guys had better get started on your new stadium pronto.

I am not trying to be inflammatory here, in fact I would love to see Halifax get a brand new stadium too. You deserve it.

One final note - on the CTV news this evening, there was an item about the Uteck Bowl and the comment was made on the newscast that because of the poor condition of Saint Mary's Stadium, there was a 7 out of 10 chance that the championship could be moved out of Halifax next year, perhaps (horrors) even to Moncton!!

That is the sort of bomb that you guys should be using to inflame civic passion in favour of a new stadium. I think the time is ripe for a strong citizen's effort in Halifax in favour of a new stadium. It's time to put the pressure on Peter Kelly and regional council.
Why isn't there more of this attitude in Halifax? I hope that Moncton (i.e. New Brunswick) gets a CFL team. I actually believe that it would do well. One thing that should be pointed out with cities like Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal is that the CFL is not the only pro sport in town. They have to compete with the NHL and in Toronto they have to compete with the NHL, MLB and NBA. In New Brunswick, it would be a much bigger event than in these other cities.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 12:40 AM
Salty Town

Maybe we could build a 20,000 seat stadium out of temporary seating. Put it on a solid foundation add a couple of chip wagons and you have an instant stadium with concession stands.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 12:50 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Maybe we could build a 20,000 seat stadium out of temporary seating. Put it on a solid foundation add a couple of chip wagons and you have an instant stadium with concession stands.
I actually think that this is where Halifax should start. After all, about 6,000 temporary seats were set up for the Commons concerts this summer (based on what I read since I wasn't there). Why not set up 20,000 temporary seats? I wonder how much this would cost? However, they should have permanent washrooms set up which would require some expense. There isn't much point having 20,000 seats and portable washrooms.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 12:52 AM

Unless we get rid of Dexter and Kelly NB will keep cleaning our clocks.

I mean to have a leader state, while in a recovery of a recession, that we need to increase sales tax and personal income tax is the writing on the wall to our future abilities to grow.

Moncton will be able to support a new stadium with all the people exiting nova scotia.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 2:24 AM
Salty Town

-

Last edited by Empire; Nov 27, 2017 at 11:17 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment