HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
I'm still confused about how Quebec City apparently has similar escarpment heights to Hamilton, it just looks so much smaller.
Upper-town Quebec city's elevation varies. 104m is the highest point (actually near the citadel )

See where is the Château Frontenac ? He actually sit between 50 and 60m above sea level. While the city's highest building, Édifice Marie-Guyart (On the left of the Delta hotel ) touch the ground around 90m.

Hence one thing is 100% sure : there is always a good vertical drop between Upper and lower town wherever you are.

Just try it, it's fun. You just need to pick a point where you want : http://www.daftlogic.com/sandbox-goo...d-altitude.htm

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 6:51 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
agreed. Perhaps the threads could be merged? Though I think both do serve a purpose.

If they were merged, I would hope that this one becomes "The Great Canadian Skyline Thread for CMAs and Suburbs under 1 Million" and the main skyline thread becomes "The Great Canadian Skyline Thread for Core Cities of CMAs over 1 million"... perhaps that would make things more cohesive? Or possibly less? Well who cares anyways
I decided to post the photos here because North Vancouver is a separate city, both officially and geographically, and this thread is more in line with the population. If it was still called Moodyville I bet there'd be less of a problem.

It really isn't anything anyone should be spending too much time thinking about.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
I decided to post the photos here because North Vancouver is a separate city, both officially and geographically, and this thread is more in line with the population. If it was still called Moodyville I bet there'd be less of a problem.

It really isn't anything anyone should be spending too much time thinking about.
It's a bit weird when it comes to the Lower Mainland. Some would call North Van a suburb, and indeed a lot of it feels suburban, yet there are neighbourhoods such as Lower Lonsdale that are very urban in nature. There are parts of Vancouver City Proper that feel very suburban by comparison.

Then you have municipalities such as New Westminster that have almost entirely urban characteristics. It just feels weird calling New West a suburb.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 6:57 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post

No, the name isn't the issue. This is for CMAs under 1 million, and the Vancouver CMA is well above that. It doesn't matter if the picture is of North Vancouver, Surrey, Port Moody, etc.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 7:22 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaPhysicality View Post
It's a bit weird when it comes to the Lower Mainland. Some would call North Van a suburb, and indeed a lot of it feels suburban, yet there are neighbourhoods such as Lower Lonsdale that are very urban in nature. There are parts of Vancouver City Proper that feel very suburban by comparison.

Then you have municipalities such as New Westminster that have almost entirely urban characteristics. It just feels weird calling New West a suburb.
I think of a "suburb" as a municipality that is dependent on a core economically and culturally. I don't think built form is really relevant; I mean in an ideal world all suburbs would be as urban as New Westminster.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 7:57 PM

an old pano from 2008.

wpg by Adrian stoness, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 8:07 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaPhysicality View Post

New West isn't any more urban than the City of North Van, which is separate from the District. The District is ultra-suburban and has banned high density development of any kind indefinitely on the eastern side. I think calling it the City of North Van really does a disservice to the city and creates a lot of ignorance, just like if New Westminster was called the City of Burnaby.

And I didn't notice there was a third thread for suburban skylines. My mistake.

Last edited by Pinion; Jan 17, 2015 at 8:21 PM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 8:43 PM
Salty Town

Halifax downtown from Citadel Hill:

Looking NE

Looking South...New Library in center of photo.

Source: Empire

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 8:48 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

A couple of St. John's from this evening.

Supreme Court clocks:

St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

TD Place and the Old Fortis Building:

And the omnipresent Basilica of St. John the Baptist:

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 9:21 PM

Amazing Quebec City photo!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Sauga View Post
Amazing Quebec City photo!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 11:13 PM

Yeah that's gotta be the best QC shot I've ever seen, and probably one of the best pics in the whole thread.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 3:50 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Love the snow-in-St. John's photos.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 6:38 PM
"Pow! Right in the kissa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
The entire Niagara Region is very odd from an urban point of view.

A lot of different cities but no heart. It kind of makes you wonder why one particular city didn't dominate. They sort of just blend into one another and you never know exactly what city you are in.

There are certainly very nice areas and small towns and there is a lot of history but no real centre despite being bigger than Victoria. I guess Waterloo Region is very similar in that it is the conurbation of 5 different cities but there at least there are 2 major universities while Niagara only has smallish Brock. KWC also is fairly consistent in it's urban form as there are no real gaps between the cities unlike Niagara where there are little splices of land separating non-descript cities and towns.

In terms of urban form I don't think there is another area in the country quite like Niagara.
What's funny is that it's more generic in KWC whereas in Niagara, you can actually differentiate it's cities and towns from one another. Better yet, those in St. Kitts have an opinion of Welland..those in Welland have an opinion of Thorold..those in Niagara Falls have an opinion of St. Kitts..Ft. Erie etc. And then you have the small towns of Grimsby, Lincoln and the country bumpkins in the middle.

For the longest time, I wanted to move back after leaving college because it's such a loose and laidback "whatever goes" kind of area but unfortunately the jobs are incredibly scarce :/

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 2:40 AM
ARTchitecture

That QC shot is amazing.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 2:41 AM
ARTchitecture

delete

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
I'm still confused about how Quebec City apparently has similar escarpment heights to Hamilton, it just looks so much smaller.
The escarpment sticks out in Hamilton because it is essentially two plateaus with different elevations separated by a cliff. The escarpment in Quebec City is not as abrupt as the one in Hamilton but just as high:

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 5:13 PM
ARTchitecture

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 9:44 PM

Victoria looks abjectly incredible!!!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 10:15 PM

Last edited by Brizzy82; Jan 20, 2015 at 10:39 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada