HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 1:10 PM

Trump Hotel

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I hear the the old central Post Office on Queen St in Dartmouth is closing and postal services are being relocated to Moffat's Pharmacy a few blocks away. That in itself is a bad move but the bigger question is what happens to the building? It is on a large nicely landscaped lot and is an attractive design.

https://goo.gl/maps/qXtstKay5F5p11sEA
That's too bad, Keith. Hopefully something really good will be done with the building. I had always held out the hope that they would rebuild the old clock tower, but I knew it would never happen.

Source - Dartmouth Federal Building and Post Office
Retrieval code: 101-80C-6-3
[196-?]

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 1:37 PM

One of the things I like about that building is that the later (I presume) addition on the west side still made use of similar sandstone (?) cladding and what appears to be granite as at least a facing for the foundation like the post office itself. It is interesting that the stairway into the post office juts into the frontage of the addition for a short distance. I have to assume it was always that way even prior to the newer structure being built.

I also find it interesting that in your 1960s photo, the addition was named the "Dartmouth Federal Building" which implied it was used for things other than a post office. Since it has no entryway of its own I would guess access was via the post office doorway. It seems to now by used mostly as freight access as most of the west side is loading bay doors. Another interesting point regarding that photo is that the Bell facility that is now on the corner of Queen and Wentworth was not there at the time. I had no idea it was that recent.

Is that a Dartmouth war memorial structure out front? I should pay it a visit.

As traditional postal mail continues its decline and Canada Post becomes more of a parcel delivery service I expect to see more of this decommissioning of historic downtown post office buildings nationwide.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 1:57 PM

I was thinking the same, that they did a good job in integrating the expansion to the rest of the building. There could have been some detailing added to the top to emulate the original building, but that's nitpicking on my part.

Just looked around the net to see if there are other pics out there, and found this older one, from a postcard, which appears to show that the staircase didn't extend to that area originally.

Source

Not sure what the "Dartmouth Federal Building" referred to - perhaps it had some customs function?

I have a vague memory that the MT&T buildings went up sometime in the 1970s, can't remember for certain.

Not sure about the war memorial. I walked by there recently, but didn't take notice of it.

Am curious about the future of post mail - on one hand people don't tend to write letters anymore, and many people pay bill online, but on the other hand online shopping is kicking the tar out of brick and mortar stores, so it could go either way - probably mostly depending on how they compete with the courier companies.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
Trump Hotel
I doubt that it's yuge enough

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Not sure about the war memorial. I walked by there recently, but didn't take notice of it.
I found a pic. It is a monument to those lost in WWI (presumably from Dartmouth), originally erected by the local chapter of the Imperial Order of the Daughters of the Empire. Actually rather impressive, if in need of a little love.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Am curious about the future of post mail - on one hand people don't tend to write letters anymore, and many people pay bill online, but on the other hand online shopping is kicking the tar out of brick and mortar stores, so it could go either way - probably mostly depending on how they compete with the courier companies.
Canada Post publishes their annual financial reports here, if you're curious: https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/our...-reports.page?

Overall, net profit is actually up over where it was about 10 years ago. Letter mail is shrinking, but parcel delivery is still a growing part of their business (~20% growth year by year for the last few years) model.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I found a pic. It is a monument to those lost in WWI (presumably from Dartmouth), originally erected by the local chapter of the Imperial Order of the Daughters of the Empire. Actually rather impressive, if in need of a little love.
Hey that's nicely done. Definitely a little clean-up would be nice.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 4:08 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

A photo of the small development at Agricola and Bilby. The new facade looks good so far and matches the rendering. If I remember correctly this is phase I and phase II will be built on the left, so looks like that 2 storey house will be torn down.

Source

The project website is http://welcometohalifax.ca

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 10:35 AM

AllNS reports that the former St. Pat's High School site is now on the market, with CBRE as the listing broker.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 2:29 PM
Halifax Promoter!

PLEASE, no restrictions on this site.... I would love to see a tall building... forget the 30 storey max. under the new rulings....

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
PLEASE, no restrictions on this site.... I would love to see a tall building... forget the 30 storey max. under the new rulings....
It has Centre Plan requirements on it; that was the whole thing they were waiting for before selling. The concept design the broker is using is 23 storeys and 730,000 SF of space. Seems about right for this location, in my opinion.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 4:03 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 12:57 PM

There was a rendering posted in AllNS's story about this yesterday. AllNS reported that Fathom Studios prepared the rendering, but I couldn't see it on Fathom's website.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 7:59 PM

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 2:50 AM
Halifax Promoter!

The Round Tower in Clayton Park (210 Willett St.) is basically vacant, along with the low rise apartment building on the property behind it. I have heard rumours of it either being renovated or torn down. The latter rumoured to having the site replaced with 2 towers. I know there had been some sort of area meeting, but I don't have anything on this. Does anyone know what is happening here?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 4:16 AM

I can find that they got issued Case #22332, but other than that i can't find anything

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 4:25 AM

There's a plan to build 20 units in 10 townhouses at Maple and Thistle in dartmouth

would be a nice infill for a space that is right now essentially an unused parking lot

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Querce View Post
There's a plan to build 20 units in 10 townhouses at Maple and Thistle in dartmouth

would be a nice infill for a space that is right now essentially an unused parking lot
Looks like decent use of the land, and in keeping with that area of the neighbourhood. As you say, much better than an empty parking lot and an old used car office.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 7:16 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Looks like decent use of the land, and in keeping with that area of the neighbourhood. As you say, much better than an empty parking lot and an old used car office.
There's another infill project for 20 Sea King Drive https://www.halifax.ca/business/plan...rive-dartmouth

It basically looks like a suburban townhouse development, but it fills in an empty plot of land inside the Circ. It is odd how some of these holes existed long after development stretched out to Cole Harbour.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth