HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 6:34 AM

And this guy is one of the many reasons I can't stand New Yorkers

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 5:03 AM
Paramoderator

Sorry I couldn't find a bigger picture but

This hotel looks like it is about to break ground. I passed by the lot where it will be (Sunset and Hammond) and there was a ton of construction equipment prepping the site. I'd expect groundbreaking within the next few weeks.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 6:41 AM
99.9%-Urban .1%-Me

I really liked this building in Hollywood, its cool.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 "Don't play with Lightning"

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 10:20 PM
BANNED

Some comments:

NY and SF are full of setbacks. Try walking down any of the newer built areas (Park Ave or the WTC area in NY; Embarcadero and Mission in SF). The high rises have plazas, open areas, etc. The locals demanded them and boast about them; and these are the most urban people in the country.

In any event, Hollywood is far less dense than mid-town NY or DT SF. And believe it or not, just a few blocks above the Boulevard are large, quiet homes with very large lots.

But I agree that the core area should be open to high-rise development IF there is adequate transportation improvement and open areas.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 7:48 PM

Developing Chavez Ravine is likely in play for new Dodgers owner

Real estate experts say the rich price Guggenheim Baseball Management paid for the team probably means it is looking to do more with the land surrounding Dodger Stadium than simply park cars.

By Roger Vincent and Ken Bensinger
Los Angeles Times
April 16, 2012

"It's a developer's dream — nearly 300 empty acres above downtown Los Angeles, close to three major freeways and visited by millions each year.

Could Chavez Ravine be the next big real estate play in town?

The new owner of the Dodgers, Guggenheim Baseball Management, is keeping tight-lipped about its plans for the parking lots and hillsides surrounding Dodger Stadium, which it will own jointly with departing team owner Frank McCourt if the sale closes as expected April 30.

The Dodgers disclosed some details of the McCourt-Guggenheim land partnership in the team's bankruptcy case, but those documents were under seal — and the team quickly withdrew them after The Times asked the bankruptcy judge to release them publicly..."

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...391,full.story

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 9:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Real estate experts say the rich price Guggenheim Baseball Management paid for the team probably means it is looking to do more with the land surrounding Dodger Stadium than simply park cars.

By Roger Vincent and Ken Bensinger
Los Angeles Times
April 16, 2012

"It's a developer's dream — nearly 300 empty acres above downtown Los Angeles, close to three major freeways and visited by millions each year.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...391,full.story

Very interesting. Unless I am very confused, Magic and friends would never make the disastrous mistake of suggesting tearing down the existing stadium. That would be a quick way to earn equal status with McCourt and would not be successful in any event. A disaser all around.

Expanded food and entertainment and hotels with VIP security seems like a no-brainer. If it really is possible to make major changes to egress to the ravine, then I could support a football stadium on the premises. The multiple tier parking lots would allow extra room for tailgating and part of Elyssian Park could also act as picnic areas.

McCourt's retention of some areas strikes me as neither here nor there, other than as a petty nuisance.

Should be interesting to see what develops.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 9:28 PM

I haven't been to Dodger stadium in years (go Nationals!) but the views from the stadium of the San Gabrial mountains are great. I have good memories of the Dodger games I went to as a kid growing up. I'm sure the stadium could use some work now.

A walkable neighborhood built in place of the vast parking lots surrounding the stadium would be great, however.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 9:42 PM

was heading to work today and seems like they tore down a few homes and are about to start construction on something... Ill try and get pictures but anyone know what it might be? I'm guess an apt building... On the Corner of Lexington Ave and Las Palmas ave

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 6:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
I haven't been to Dodger stadium in years (go Nationals!) but the views from the stadium of the San Gabrial mountains are great. I have good memories of the Dodger games I went to as a kid growing up. I'm sure the stadium could use some work now.

A walkable neighborhood built in place of the vast parking lots surrounding the stadium would be great, however.
This is actually my ideal as well, but I think it's a long-shot. My best guess is a football stadium, since the fact that McCourt kept so much land around access roads, indicates that he believes some major roadwork will be undertaken. Otherwise, bars, restaurants and hotels seem most likely.

But medium density development (something like SC has planned at the old University shopping center) would be wonderful. With a little transit linkage to DT, a nice place to live.

btw, Istanbul has a subway system that reaches even very hilly areas. You have to go down multiple escalators, but it is very heavily used. There are also multi-car funiculars connecting from subways and running up from the sea to the hills, so it can be done if LA really wants to (no escalators needed). Cost is the real question, I suppose, but with baseball, football and housing up there, it might be worth it.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 12:10 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Anything to get people out of their cars. Driving up to Dodger Stadium is a disaster.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 6:27 AM

The last phase of Playa Vista to start construction in june.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/apr...vista-20120405

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 7:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Boyardee View Post
The last phase of Playa Vista to start construction in june.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/apr...vista-20120405
can't wait to visit LA's newest shopping mall

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 8:05 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by all of the trash View Post
can't wait to visit LA's newest shopping mall
Actually, if you think about it, Playa Vista isn't that bad. Sure, it's a planned community, but it isn't sprawl. The whole thing is built on vacant land in the middle of L.A. Plus, the actual development is fairly urban, and dense. Most of the buildings are five stories w/ ground floor retail, and the SFH are tightly packed together, which in turn makes them fairly dense... for SFH at least. I wouldn't personally live there myself, but really, it's not a bad area at all.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 6:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Actually, if you think about it, Playa Vista isn't that bad. Sure, it's a planned community, but it isn't sprawl. The whole thing is built on vacant land in the middle of L.A. Plus, the actual development is fairly urban, and dense. Most of the buildings are five stories w/ ground floor retail, and the SFH are tightly packed together, which in turn makes them fairly dense... for SFH at least. I wouldn't personally live there myself, but really, it's not a bad area at all.
I think this is about right. Plus it's not indoors.

Another reason for the 405 subway or express bus or LRT to get going. The whole LAX to SM corridor is getting denser and denser.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 1:41 AM

anyone know what's going on over on de longpre between vine and ivar? there's a beautiful park going in and the old big lots is getting remodeled.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 4:35 PM

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2011/1...ce_on_vine.php

Good to hear that project is coming along.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 9:17 PM
BANNED

Seems that the local community doesn’t think much of the Ferris wheel proposed for Venice (comments were that it destroys the views and there’s already one a mile away, among other things). The idea is tabled, and instead a Zipline is being looked at. Maybe it’s just me, but I’m not really sure that the city needs to pour development onto the beaches. Venice is pretty much developed as is. I don’t think we’re looking for Coney Island.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
The San Gabriel Valley Tribute recently reported that 775 housing permits that were pulled in Los Angeles County in November. 535 of these permits were for a single mixed use development in Hollywood.

Curbed made the connection that this is the exact number of housing units in phase 1 of the Blvd 6200 project. So there you go. Phase 1 will likely start in January. Finally...one of the most visible dead spots on Hollywood Blvd is going to be filled in!

Still a giant parking lot unfortunately, what is the hold up with this one?

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 7:07 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

I really have to ask.....Is the Wilshire/Vermont towers really under construction. There has been no sourced articles (nothing at all) regarding ground breaking or any type of work and yet it has been listed in this forum as "under construction" for at least past 3 months. Don't get me wrong I really want this project to go through but I also dont want to have false hope.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a9l8e7n View Post
I really have to ask.....Is the Wilshire/Vermont towers really under construction. There has been no sourced articles (nothing at all) regarding ground breaking or any type of work and yet it has been listed in this forum as "under construction" for at least past 3 months. Don't get me wrong I really want this project to go through but I also dont want to have false hope.

Wilshire/Vermont is definitely not under construction yet. We all got our hopes up when a truck crane showed up a few months ago but it's since disappeared, and there hasn't been any activity on site since then.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations