HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 1:35 AM

To me London really is the most fantastic city in the world. I can't get enough of it. If money were no object, I'd live there in a heartbeat.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
To me London really is the most fantastic city in the world. I can't get enough of it. If money were no object, I'd live there in a heartbeat.
Didn’t you live in San Francisco?

Is it pretentious to say that I consider Mayfair to be the world’s most perfect neighborhood though? It has everything.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 1:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post

Is it pretentious to say that I consider Mayfair to be the world’s most perfect neighborhood though? It has everything.
Mayfair is amazing, but so are Belgravia, Chelsea, and South Ken. London is as good as it gets.

New Yorkers absurdly claim that NY is the best city in the world. That's ridiculous. It's one of them. It and London offer the more than any other cities and are the most influential, but NY's streets and architecture are shoddy compared to London. For me, therefore, London is the best by a wide margin. As these photos show, it's well-kept and gorgeous.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post

Yes for over half a decade. Then Seattle for 3 years, now in LA.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 5:13 PM

I love this night scene .It is amazing how quickly London grew

London 2007

London 2012

https://randomlylondon.com/london-2007-2012/

https://www.businessinsider.com/lond...kably-busier-2

London also has beautiful architecture like the Gherkin(30 St Mary Axe) for example which is 180 m (591 ft) tall
and was completed in 2003

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/30_St_Mary_Axe

Last edited by Danie; Nov 18, 2019 at 1:52 PM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
Mayfair is amazing, but so are Belgravia, Chelsea, and South Ken. London is as good as it gets.

New Yorkers absurdly claim that NY is the best city in the world. That's ridiculous. It's one of them. It and London offer the more than any other cities and are the most influential, but NY's streets and architecture are shoddy compared to London. For me, therefore, London is the best by a wide margin. As these photos show, it's well-kept and gorgeous.
Those aren’t complete neighborhoods. Belgravia is dead, and South Ken and Chelsea are predominantly residential areas.

Mayfair has human scale, beautiful architecture, parks and public squares, housing (both rowhouses and apartments), nice pubs, world class shopping, grand hotels, very pricey high end offices, the best nightlife in London (if you are a member), cultural institutions (eg, the Royal Academy of Art), galleries, foreign consulates and embassies, great restaurants, etc. All land uses except industry. The composer Handel lived in Mayfair, and so did Jimi Hendrix - next door but a couple centuries apart.

Granted it is staggeringly expensive, but that just proves its desirability.

For those that don’t know, it’s the foreground of this photo:

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Last edited by 10023; Nov 7, 2019 at 10:57 PM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 12:11 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post

oh please there are similar suburban/urban areas of nyc that are the same, even if they look a bit different.

whats more interesting is that you even brought up ny in a london thread.

so here is some advice, but do consult your counselor

Ways to Stop Obsessive Thoughts

When you can’t stop thinking about something, then you may have a problem with obsessive thoughts. This type of problem is often addressed with cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). This type of therapy helps you to naturally channel your thoughts and change your normal behaviors.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 8:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
oh please there are similar suburban/urban areas of nyc that are the same, even if they look a bit different.

whats more interesting is that you even brought up ny in a london thread.

so here is some advice, but do consult your counselor

Ways to Stop Obsessive Thoughts

When you can’t stop thinking about something, then you may have a problem with obsessive thoughts. This type of problem is often addressed with cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). This type of therapy helps you to naturally channel your thoughts and change your normal behaviors.
Do you need medicine for your PMS?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 7:03 PM

Thanks again for all of the comments and compliments!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos