HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 9:58 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
This is a great example of what Density can create,
It's not just density that created the Osborne Village, it's the fact that it is complete, something that the East Exchange isn't anywhere near just yet.

I think it has all the pieces in place (narrow streets with slow moving traffic, an abundance of destinations, good heritage buildings, people who care about the community, etc.) but still is automobile dominant. That because the everyday things are still a vehicle ride away.

In the case of the village, I don't know what came first, the large apartment/condo buildings or all the other things, but you need both.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
It's not just density that created the Osborne Village, it's the fact that it is complete, something that the East Exchange isn't anywhere near just yet.

I think it has all the pieces in place (narrow streets with slow moving traffic, an abundance of destinations, good heritage buildings, people who care about the community, etc.) but still is automobile dominant. That because the everyday things are still a vehicle ride away.

In the case of the village, I don't know what came first, the large apartment/condo buildings or all the other things, but you need both.
It's part of the total package the East Exchange does not have as of this day but it is part of the equation. It took years to accomplish, My father had a little art studio on the strip when I was young, I breathed the exchange/village for years, it's gone through many transformations to become what it is today. Population density did have the effect of allowing so many small retailers/and small establishments to survive, they would have died, as many have over the years ages ago if it wasn't for the huge population base in the area. Put these small ecletic shops any where else and they would die a slow death. The last thing I need today is an education on Osborne Village. But thanks anyway.

Last edited by Cyro; Dec 16, 2013 at 11:00 PM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 1:41 PM

drove by the MERE hotel on Waterfornt on Sat night, looks pretty sweet all lit up.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 7:14 PM

Speaking of the Mere, Cibo's Waterfront Cafe looks nice. Good job on the restoration of the space. Like to drop by and check it out some time, any one had the chance yet?

Image:

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 7:44 PM

Cibo looks really fantastic... I look forward to checking it out.

I'm glad that Mere is here. I always thought it was a shame that one of Winnipeg's most interesting neighbourhoods didn't have a quality hotel of its own (apart from the Fairmont, which is oriented more towards P&M than the Exchange, and the Mariaggi, which is not really a conventional hotel). While I would still like to see a hotel pop up in the West Exchange, this new hotel should add a little life and interest to the Waterfront Drive area. It should also give a nice boost to the area restaurants and lounges.

The hotel itself is interesting... it offers limited services but definitely has some luxurious touches and design flair... sort of like the world's fanciest Super 8 Hotel.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Cibo looks really fantastic... I look forward to checking it out.

I'm glad that Mere is here. I always thought it was a shame that one of Winnipeg's most interesting neighbourhoods didn't have a quality hotel of its own (apart from the Fairmont, which is oriented more towards P&M than the Exchange, and the Mariaggi, which is not really a conventional hotel). While I would still like to see a hotel pop up in the West Exchange, this new hotel should add a little life and interest to the Waterfront Drive area. It should also give a nice boost to the area restaurants and lounges.

The hotel itself is interesting... it offers limited services but definitely has some luxurious touches and design flair... sort of like the world's fanciest Super 8 Hotel.
The Mere and the Cafe are both wonderful additions to the area.
I have no problem with the limited service in the Hotel,(you pay for the rooms accordingly due to it), and still have a very nice high end look and comfortable accommodations.

It makes you get out of the room and over to the Cafe to spend time and money their as well. Some people won't like this concept but I think it was well thought out by the developer.
Hope to run into you their some day!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 9:21 PM
Transit Nerd

I'm going to be taking a stroll out in the Exchange tomorrow when its not -30/-40. If anyone sees a guy in all-black taking nothing but pictures, thats probably me.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 11:08 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

o wow talk about a nice job on the old harbor master building

Old Posted Dec 30, 2013, 7:18 PM

Nice touch on the roof of Mere!

http://binged.it/18Uapon

Now that everyone uses Google and Bing maps, I wonder if we'll start seeing more of this sort of thing?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2013, 8:44 PM

Nice find! A Keyboard no less.

With satellite technology common place these days and access to the general public a click away, who knows, why not take advantage of roof tops more in this manner.

The new billboard of the future?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 6:05 AM

Unfortunate:
http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.1615944

It should also be noted that Wanda Koop (the organizer of the opposition), was also VERY MUCH opposed to the development of the Mere Hotel & Cibo cafe on waterfront before they were built.
On a personal note, I should state that I genuinely like Ms.Koop, however, it was stated earlier in this thread that she is not a Nimby-type, but I must strongly disagree with that sentiment.

What's most unfortunate is that for every one person opposed to this development, there are probably about one thousand people who would like to see this project proceed. It's upsetting that this party isn't really allowed to have it's voice heard… or can they?

Let's keep our finger's crossed and hope this gets built.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 6:55 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i agree with parts of what the opisition of the pump house proposal is saying in principle

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 7:01 AM
BANNED

Cannot have a tower because a few condo owners don't want it and it is probably the last chance the pump house has. Well here's my suggestion for these earthy folks trying to preserve the historic nature. Even though the condo in question with the complaint looks like it belongs in the suburbs. ( the current ugly one. Not the proposed tower)

How about we release the land to the native for an urban reserve for way word mothers.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 7:30 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

blue note stop...

theres a due process thats been neglected witch has resulted in a good bunch of the rallying this is a city asset not some random privit property

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 2:31 PM

This is my opions . I know this sounds stupid but can't the condo owners expand the waterfront condos to make them skyscrapers if they have enough money. Because if they did then the james avenue skyscraper can be like just another add to a high density area. I know there will be blocked views but the people who bought those condos should have known better if it is going to effect them. And also if they did expand the condos; sure they have to waste some money to get the required infrastructure, but they could probably do presales and make good revenue so it is almost a win-win situation. And if all the waterfront condo owners expanded them to skyscrapers and if their are a lot of buyers that would add a lot of people to downtown.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 2:40 PM

What exactly are we trying to preserve by not allowing this condo development? The idyllic suburban nature of the surrounding neighbourhood? The pristine condition of the pumphouse?

I'm being sarcastic here, but the point is that for a city that often browbeats itself because our urban core is too sparsely populated and lacks buildings and activity, here is a chance to take a step toward making a tangible improvement in that regard. The bonus is that the pumphouse will be renovated and preserved too. Yet the collective instinct among many is to block it and prevent change from taking place as if there was some sort of virtue in keeping the Exchange District locked in time circa 1992 when it was dead and devoid of people.

It's downtown Winnipeg... if there is one place in the entire city to put a highrise condo, this is it. If it doesn't go there, where is it supposed to go?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 6:49 PM

The answer to your last question always comes up at zoning hearing meetings and is "anybody's back yard / neighborhood but mine".

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 11:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
blue note stop...

theres a due process thats been neglected witch has resulted in a good bunch of the rallying this is a city asset not some random privit property
It was a sarcastic joke dear sir

But honestly. We need this development. It saves the infrastructure of the pump house. It is actually a nice building and IMO it would increase land values as the surrounding area is still very bleak and semi industrial.

Now if this were in the heart of the exchange then I would agree. But it is not. In some ways it is hard to even call this area part of the exchange.

This city has to much red tape and a few people can stop something we need. Yet MANY people couldn't save the old Eatons building or the Capitol theatre.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
It was a sarcastic joke dear sir

But honestly. We need this development. It saves the infrastructure of the pump house. It is actually a nice building and IMO it would increase land values as the surrounding area is still very bleak and semi industrial.

Now if this were in the heart of the exchange then I would agree. But it is not. In some ways it is hard to even call this area part of the exchange.

This city has to much red tape and a few people can stop something we need. Yet MANY people couldn't save the old Eatons building or the Capitol theatre.
i think the area needs something like this to help the neighbourhood. it would intensify and diversify the community and yes would help the surrounding area. the river is prime location as far as development, based on other cities. so i think this waterfront development is a start to becoming a grander city.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2014, 7:18 AM

Pump house

---

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan