HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
I believe the NCC made the city build it as a condition of the agreement allowing OC Transpo to continue using the parkway for buses. I think this agreement also considered a Transitway stop near Ambleside as well but it never happened.
Makes sense. As much as the NCC has been criticized over the years, there have been instances where they were the voice of reason it seems.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Makes sense. As much as the NCC has been criticized over the years, there have been instances where they were the voice of reason it seems.
I found a source:

https://app06.ottawa.ca/calendar/ott...n99/Fdomin.pdf

My recollection was right about both the reason for Dominion and the Ambleside idea. Still not sure what happened to Ambleside. I found this follow up report from 2000 detailing the Ambleside station design, but can't find any sources as to why it didn't happen. It does sound like there was lots of NIMBY angst about it (the typical THINK OF THE GREENSPACE wackos), so perhaps that's why. Would be really sad if so. At least the area is finally getting rapid transit service with New Orchard station.

https://app06.ottawa.ca/calendar/ott...Mar00/1-56.pdf

Last edited by CityTech; Jun 1, 2020 at 7:55 PM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 8:31 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
My recollection was right about both the reason for Dominion and the Ambleside idea. Still not sure what happened to Ambleside. I found this follow up report from 2000 detailing the Ambleside station design, but can't find any sources as to why it didn't happen. It does sound like there was lots of NIMBY angst about it (the typical THINK OF THE GREENSPACE wackos), so perhaps that's why. Would be really sad if so.
If I recall correctly that area is prone to flooding so that Transitway stop didn’t happen

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 2:49 PM

PDF presentation from June 2019 with a little more info on the parkway tunnel and alignment, including two new images.

http://kitchissippiward.ca/sites/def...019.final_.pdf

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 4:25 PM

Pedestrian Bike connectivity and proposed enhancements to Stage 2 LRT Stations.

https://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/publi...ancement-study

They are open for feedback on these.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 6:55 PM

Thanks for posting!

In terms of bicycle parking, the City needs to step-up its game, especially at stations where cycling volumes will be high. I would love to see fully enclosed, secure and locked bicycle parking at these stations, as they have in Vancouver.

Disappointed they plan on maintaining the Tunney's bus loop post-Stage 2. I assume they wan to continue forcing transfers to all urban west end residents. An urban station such as this should not continue to play host to a suburban bus depot. And even while preserving the bus loop, they still plan on making the walk as far as possible for riders.

With the new Goldenrod Bridge, I hope they demolish the bridge just to the east of it.

Same with Westboro, why so much bus infrastructure for an urban station?

For Dominion, obviously, huge improvement over the current situation. New at-grade crossing near Rochester Field could be safety issue. Cars usually travel well over the limit (80-100 km/h), and with the twisty routing planned for the Parkway (meant to slow down vehicles, but not sure how effective that will be), visibility will be quite poor. We're already completely rebuilding the area, might as well build a pedestrian and cycling overpass or underpass.

I'm disappointed Cleary and New Orchard will not be underground. I hope the open trench only takes up the space for the station, and not more as GeoOttawa seems to suggest. Glad they are removing a few streets crossing the linear park. Good to see more pedestrian crossovers down Richmond, increasing accessibility to the Tramway park and the stations. Happy to see an additional pedestrian/cycling underpass connecting the Parkway and the station.

The footprint of the Lincoln Fields should be significantly smaller than the status quo. I would like to see a little TOD from the NCC. Very disappointed (though not surprised) a bridge to Lincoln Fields mall is not proposed. Good to see some retail space, and washrooms (which isn't news).

For Iris, why would they only add southbound cycle tacks at Woodroffe?

Baseline, washrooms and retail. Location of the pedestrian bridge between the ACCE building and the station is ridiculous. Why not have a much shorter, straight bridge at the "B" entrance?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 7:15 PM

Sent an email to the Stage 2 team arguing for a short pedestrian bridge between the ACCE building and the "B" entrance of Baseline station, instead of the bus loop entrance.

I read through the :"Connectivity Summary" for the western Stage 2 Confederation Line extension and I am mostly satisfied with what I have seen. The one aspect that bothers me is the pedestrian bridge between the ACCE building and the station. Why build a long turning bridge to the bus loop entrance (A) instead of a short, straight bridge to the plaza entrance (B). The second option would result in a much cheaper bridge and a more convenient access for the college. This would also better spread the passenger loads between those transfering from the Confederation Line to a Barrhaven bound bus and college students, most of them taking the Confederation Line north to places east and west.

I believe the argument is to reduce the number of people crossing College Avenue, but I would argue that my proposed option would be cheaper and more convenient for the majority.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks for posting!

Disappointed they plan on maintaining the Tunney's bus loop post-Stage 2. I assume they wan to continue forcing transfers to all urban west end residents. An urban station such as this should not continue to play host to a suburban bus depot. And even while preserving the bus loop, they still plan on making the walk as far as possible for riders.

With the new Goldenrod Bridge, I hope they demolish the bridge just to the east of it.

Same with Westboro, why so much bus infrastructure for an urban station?

I'm disappointed Cleary and New Orchard will not be underground. I hope the open trench only takes up the space for the station, and not more as GeoOttawa seems to suggest. Glad they are removing a few streets crossing the linear park. Good to see more pedestrian crossovers down Richmond, increasing accessibility to the Tramway park and the stations. Happy to see an additional pedestrian/cycling underpass connecting the Parkway and the station.

Baseline, washrooms and retail. Location of the pedestrian bridge between the ACCE building and the station is ridiculous. Why not have a much shorter, straight bridge at the "B" entrance?
Good Day.

Yep - Sue beat me to posting - good work.

Tunney's : As always, promises broken.
Tunney's was indeed promised to be returned to the small loop it was in the T-Way era. If this mapping is correct (and it ain't necessarily so yet), poof ! What else is new !

The Goldenrod bridge : if you mean the at-an-angle-to-Scott foam-core embankment berm 'bridge', it goes, fast,
replaced by a perpendicular actual bridge in a straight line from Goldenrod to Smirle, with a full signalized intersection at Scott, per agreement with PWGSC as well as NCC.
(which they should have built in the first place.)

Westboro is indeed smaller than you seem to suggest, to my eye - I think you are overestimating the footprint, but as always, we have to wait and see.

The Richmond/Byron stations : to fully bury them would increase costs overall to a very large amount, having to provide emergency exits per tunnel standards, ventilation, fireproofing, etc. Big additional costs.
(this is why the earlier plan for the SJAM stretch was windowed berm rather than full tunnel, but NIMBYs and NCC shot us down and increased costs here big.)

Baseline : a continuing FUBAR, getting worse all the time.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 1:48 AM

Never liked the Lincoln Fields or Baseline Station designs, but I've already gone on rants about those stations so no need to repeat myself.

My biggest issue with the connectivity study is you can see (Iris Station map) that the at-grade MUP crossing of the Transitway/LRT corridor between Iris Station and Baseline Road is being removed with no grade separated crossing to replace it. This is a BIG step backwards in MUP connectivity for people going between the Baseline Station / Algonquin College / Centrepointe area and the Experimental Farm Pathway. I honestly don't know where people who take that route are going to go, detour all the way up to Iris I guess?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 7:26 PM

Forgot about the berm. I agree, it would have been much simpler, and cheaper, to just build the Goldenrod bridge right-off the bat. If they wanted to separate the Transitway and Line 1, a simple chain link fence would have sufficed, and been much more effective than the chain link fence at PoW.

I also much preferred the City's initial bermed tunnel with ventilation grills. I understand New Orchard is harder to place underground, and was never the plan, but for Clearly, I feel like they could have found a developer to work with on an underground station integrated with a new building where the station was last proposed before it was moved to the park. The City has done a fantastically poor job at working with developers to better integrate stations, even downtown (the messy PdV concourse entrance and lack of direct connection to Moon at Lyon, the overcrowded entrances and small number of elevators at Parliament, the busiest station).

For the removed Iris crossing, I guess the City figures that people can use Iris or Baseline. But yeah, the City should have maintained all existing crossing locations. It can't be that expensive to add a culvert under the tracks. Too much money spent on useless projects (complicated turning bridge at Algonquin), while cheeping out in other places (like this one crossing).

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 7:33 PM

Another thing I've noticed is that they are adding car drop off areas at EVERY SINGLE STATION, even Queensview, where there is currently no road access, only private parking lots.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHrenetic View Post

Yep - Sue beat me to posting - good work.
That's only because you have a life beyond your keyboard!

Quote:
Baseline : a continuing FUBAR, getting worse all the time.

There's no "like" button so I'll just call out this comment.

TBH, I've never been through this station so I don't know why it upsets me so much but it does.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post
Never liked the Lincoln Fields or Baseline Station designs, but I've already gone on rants about those stations so no need to repeat myself.

My biggest issue with the connectivity study is you can see (Iris Station map) that the at-grade MUP crossing of the Transitway/LRT corridor between Iris Station and Baseline Road is being removed with no grade separated crossing to replace it. This is a BIG step backwards in MUP connectivity for people going between the Baseline Station / Algonquin College / Centrepointe area and the Experimental Farm Pathway. I honestly don't know where people who take that route are going to go, detour all the way up to Iris I guess?
Good catch. It would be nice to see the MUP on the east side of the rail line extended down to Navaho Dr to provide access to the experimental farm.

I'm also really disappointed to see no E-W cycling crossing at College Ave. That is part of a really useful E-W link from Centrepointe to Withrow Ave.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 11:34 PM

The O-Train Fans map now has the latest data for the East / West project.
https://map.otrainfans.ca/

Any future updates will be quicker to add to the site (looking at you now TNEXT...)

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 3:22 AM

I'm hoping somebody could help answer this question.

Prior to today, I haven't travelled along the Sir John A Macdonald Parkway by bus after leaving Dominon Station since June 11. Today, I noticed that the westbound lanes on the Parkway, passing through the area of Dominion Station were shifted further to north. When westbound buses enter the Parkway after leaving Dominion Station, there is now a gap between the bus merge lane and the regular westbound lanes until the buses make that curve to the right.

Does anybody know when that realignment took place?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 2:05 PM

O-Train West Extension - Construction Update
July 3, 2020

In the west, utility relocation activities are underway in preparation for the commencement of cut and cover tunnel construction later this year, preparation for a new road bridge at Iris is underway, and work at Lincoln Fields is in full swing.

Tree Removal
  • Dominion Station
  • Tree trimming and minor brush removal will take place in Connaught Park to accommodate a future multi-use pathway.

Moodie Light Maintenance and Storage Facility
  • Excavation and embankment construction are underway at the new Moodie Light Maintenance Storage Facility.
  • Culvert construction is expected to begin in early July.

Baseline Station Area
  • Soil stripping on going at the new bus operator building.
  • Relocation of utilities for new bus operator building – upcoming
  • Construction on new building scheduled to begin in July.

Pinecrest Creek Pond
  • Hydro line relocation to start mid-July.

Iris Station Area
  • A hydro line is being temporarily relocated on the north side of Iris Street in advance of the culvert extension.
  • Excavation is ongoing, within the fenced off area, north of Iris Street. Foundation construction is taking place to support the future culvert.

Connaught Cut and Cover Tunnel
  • Utility relocation work is underway in Connaught Park.
  • Connaught Avenue is being widened near the future tunnel location to accommodate future utility relocations.
  • Crews are preparing to construct a pathway on the south side of Pinecrest Creek.
  • Flyover foundation construction has started. Fourth drill shaft to be poured in early July.

Lincoln Fields Station Area
  • Crews are relocating a storm sewer that conflicts with the future Lincoln Fields Station and guideway.
  • Carling Avenue utility work is ongoing on the south side of Carling.
Byron and Richmond Corridor (Byron Linear Park)
  • Hydro Ottawa duct bank excavations have started on the north side of Richmond Road between Woodroffe Avenue and Cleary Avenue.
  • Sidewalk construction is underway on the south side of Byron Avenue.
  • Sidewalk construction will begin on Richmond Road between McEwen Avenue and Redwood Avenue.
  • Hydro relocation work has also started on Richmond Road near McEwen Park and is progressing east.

Rochester Field Laydown Site
  • This site will be used for the coordination of equipment, crews, and materials that will support Parkway Tunnel construction.
  • Construction site setup has started with the building of an access road and fence installation.

Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway (SJAM)
  • Excavation, granular, paving and drainage work ongoing.
  • The pathway on the south side of the SJAM has been closed with a detour in place.
  • Lane closures will be needed at the SJAM at Carling Avenue, by Lincoln Fields in order to relocate utilities.

Excavation is ongoing at Connaught Park for sanitary sewer relocation.

Stage 2 Confederation Line West Extension Connectivity Review

The Rail Construction Program is reviewing Stage 2 station connectivity and will be inviting the public to comment on how they will get to stations. Early concepts for the Stage 2 Confederation Line West stations have been posted to Ottawa.ca/Stage2 for public comment. Stakeholders are asked to provide feedback by July 10, 2020. This process has been completed for the Confederation Line East and Trillium Line South Extensions.

Communications and Stakeholder Relations

All City of Ottawa in-person public meetings are cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Rail Construction Program is using other means and methods for sharing information with the public.
Stakeholders can stay up to date on the Stage 2 LRT project by visiting Ottawa.ca/Stage2, where they can view the following:
  • Stage 2 LRT interactive map
  • Stage 2 LRT newsletter
  • Station descriptions and renderings
  • Fact sheets and other helpful resources

https://mailchi.mp/8620371552e9/o-tr...8?e=a999a549a3

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 5:02 PM

I email the Stage 2 team for travel time estimates. Here's their response (a little over 24 hours).

Quote:
Thank you for writing to the Stage 2 Office.

Based on preliminary estimates, I’ve listed approximate travel times from the locations you’ve requested below. Please note these are preliminary and are subject to change based on future design efforts and further operational planning exercises (dwell times, etc).
  • Trim-Moodie 61 mins
  • Blair-Moodie 45 mins
  • Trim-Baseline 55 mins
  • Moodie-Lincoln Fields 12-13 mins
  • Baseline-Lincoln Fields 8-9 mins
  • Bayview-Limebank 37 mins
  • Bayview-South Keys 25 mins
  • South Keys-Airport 13 mins

Have a nice weekend.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 6:40 PM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
I email the Stage 2 team for travel time estimates. Here's their response (a little over 24 hours).
That time for Bayview to South Keys doesn’t sound right to me.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
That time for Bayview to South Keys doesn’t sound right to me.
It's about the same as what it took during peak periods before the shutdown plus a few minutes for the additional stations.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCheetos View Post
It's about the same as what it took during peak periods before the shutdown plus a few minutes for the additional stations.
What was the end-to-end travel time before the shutdown?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation