HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggys View Post
the colourful building across the street.
The Charles Tupper Building

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwordisnt123 View Post
Agreed. And not just because it's necessary but also because if we build something there we will once and for all stop the Tories from reviving that godawful Victims of Communism memorial they were/are still in favour of building.
Already being built in Garde of the provinces.

It doesn't necessarily half to be a sports field, it just strikes me as the kind of democratically significant thing a country should do with badly used space - open it to the people.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Is it more valuable than in Singapore, DC or San Francisco?

The lawn in front serves the purposes pictured, the land to to the west is to be developed as part of a plan for a precinct with no lack of greenspace and far less surface parking.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 2:43 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
The lawn in front serves the purposes pictured, the land to to the west is to be developed as part of a plan for a precinct with no lack of greenspace and far less surface parking.
Uh. Have you ever seen a single sport being played on that lawn? Or in front of the supreme court?

But otherwise, that's good to know.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 10:59 AM
Still optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergate View Post
Uh. Have you ever seen a single sport being played on that lawn? Or in front of the supreme court?

When I worked PCH, we used to have informal Sunday soccer on the west lawn against the Parliament guides. In the summer, you'll also see the occasional frisbee, soccer, and - most famously - Wednesday yoga.
Granted, the sports use is light and informal. But it's definitely permitted and, with a bit of programming, could become quite popular.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:

Every lunch hour, now that good weather is back, I see people playing frisbee or soccer(with pop up nets) on the Supreme Court lawn, and yesterday afternoon there was a pretty intense softball game going (with bases and home plate and everything).

This is reminding me of the thread back in March of folk complaining about how empty the Garden of the Provinces and Territories is. These days, you have to have good luck to find a spot on a bench in your preference of shade or sun at lunch hour, and I pass a half dozen people commuting in each direction when I go through each morning and evening.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Every lunch hour, now that good weather is back, I see people playing frisbee or soccer(with pop up nets) on the Supreme Court lawn, and yesterday afternoon there was a pretty intense softball game going (with bases and home plate and everything).

This is reminding me of the thread back in March of folk complaining about how empty the Garden of the Provinces and Territories is. These days, you have to have good luck to find a spot on a bench in your preference of shade or sun at lunch hour, and I pass a half dozen people commuting in each direction when I go through each morning and evening.
I live around there, so I walk around all these places once in a while in the evening. I can't comment on lunch hours, but most definitely feel under used later on in the day.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 1:02 PM

Quote:

I've seen footyball and generic disc sport being played on the Supreme Court lawn.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 1:23 PM

Quote:
I live around there, so I walk around all these places once in a while in the evening. I can't comment on lunch hours, but most definitely feel under used later on in the day.
You live your life, but one conclusion you could draw is that otherwise-well-used fields are free at during the times your available, so you have a rare opportunity to enjoy a scarce resource.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 10:45 PM
Busy Beaver

Whenever I see this old quarry in Carlington Park, I think "hmm, giant outdoor wave pool"

from archiexpo.

Or more ambitiously, something like URBNSURF in Melbourne. It could draw an adventurous tourist crowd.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 11:00 PM

I believe in the winter it is a massive snow storage area, it could be a wave pool in the summer and skiing in the winter!

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 11:56 PM

Around 7 or 8 years ago a water slide park was proposed for exactly that hill and area…. NIMBYs put a full halt to it in record time…

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 1:25 AM

When my Dad grew up in Fisher Park in the 1960's people used to push old abandoned cars off the edge of the quarry into the water. I wonder if any are still down there?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 3:21 AM

If the Carling LRT is ever built, I'm guessing that snow-dump has a 90% chance of becoming the maintenance and storage facility for the trains. In this scenario they should probably build housing or something on top of the train depot though.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 6:04 PM
inner city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
Whenever I see this old quarry in Carlington Park, I think "hmm, giant outdoor wave pool"
Nice! I've always fantasized about that former ski run just east of this being an awesome place for a snowboard/ski terrain park with snowmaking, a half pipe, jumps/tabletops/rails etc, with lights and a lift. Probably not a strong business case for something like that in Ottawa, but it would be cool AF.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 6:08 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Isn't there already a ski hill there? Ann Heggtveit Ski Hill? There used to be, anyway.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Isn't there already a ski hill there? Ann Heggtveit Ski Hill? There used to be, anyway.
Many years ago in Carlington Park. After skiing was gone, there was tubing for a year or two. I remember tubing with friends

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 8:46 PM
Busy Beaver

It's still a popular tobogganing hill. I took this video last winter, great view of the city skyline from up there.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 7:09 PM

Would love to revive this thread from the dead since it's been a few years since it was most active.

Here are 2 new initiatives I saw which had me thinking "hmm cool, why not in Ottawa"?

New Urban Rooftop Skating Rink with Views

https://www.blogto.com/sports_play/2...skate-toronto/

New Large Outdoor Colorful Patio / Plaza ... If I'm not mistaken they were serving drinks and also had put up a projector showing sports games & the like

https://storeys.com/downtown-parking...nverted-patio/

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKellarDweller View Post
Nice! I've always fantasized about that former ski run just east of this being an awesome place for a snowboard/ski terrain park with snowmaking, a half pipe, jumps/tabletops/rails etc, with lights and a lift. Probably not a strong business case for something like that in Ottawa, but it would be cool AF.
This would be so cool. Subbing the lift for a t bar or rope tow and losing the halfpipe I think could actually make it business viable if it was managed by the right people. Rail jams and of course a pond skim in the spring would be a lot of fun.

Maybe the T bar could share access with a tubing track to improve the business case.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation