HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 6:43 PM
Busy Beaver

What would be awesome (but really disruptive) is if they just completely dug up Rideau Street for one level from William to Sussex, and had an underground mallway that had multiple connections to the basement levels of the Bay, Chapters and the Rideau Centre, etc. (therefore shorter stairs/escalators to and from street level), then a smaller central ticketing concourse at -2 level with 4 longer stairs/escalators to the extremities of the track platforms and elevators in the middle. The extra retail space could earn revenue to pay for this.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 11:45 PM

Does anyone know when construction on the Confederation Line is supposed to start? The website states that construction was supposed to have started in February (417 widening and maintenance/storage facility) but I have not yet seen any evidence that it has. Is there a website that will post construction updates?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 1:36 AM

We have to make sure that there is no possibility of the Confederation Line opening for the 150th anniversary of Confederation.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 2:39 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Yeah, I seriously doubt that the LRT line is going to be operational (let alone within the core) in four years.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 3:11 AM
National Capital Region

Politicians love a good old-fashioned ground-breaking so I'd wait til we see the mayor with a shovel

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
What would be awesome (but really disruptive) is if they just completely dug up Rideau Street for one level from William to Sussex, and had an underground mallway that had multiple connections to the basement levels of the Bay, Chapters and the Rideau Centre, etc. (therefore shorter stairs/escalators to and from street level), then a smaller central ticketing concourse at -2 level with 4 longer stairs/escalators to the extremities of the track platforms and elevators in the middle. The extra retail space could earn revenue to pay for this.
Extremely disruptive, but a great idea! At least right-hand turns from Col. By onto Rideau (not allowed, save taxis, but not enforced) would be impossible. Straight thru from Col. By onto Sussex..woohoo!!! speed up my drive home!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2013, 9:38 PM

Coming Soon to Ottawa - Alstom's Citadis Spirit

Found this Alstom promotional video showing the new trains "in action" for Ottawa on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=pAub0eX6u2w

Old Posted Apr 13, 2013, 10:19 PM
Still optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteotown View Post
Found this Alstom promotional video showing the new trains "in action" for Ottawa on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=pAub0eX6u2w
In the opening scene, they seem to pave over the Canal with a highway

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 2:42 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
In the opening scene, they seem to pave over the Canal with a highway
Actually, more ironic is the only way you could have that silhouette of the Ottawa skyline in the background would be if you were in Gatineau. Maybe there's a secret plan in the works to finally tear down the ugly Kruger plant and run interprovincial LRT through that site The sad thing about that is we would lose the apt symbolism of producing toilet paper right across below Parliament Hill.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 7:17 PM

The cars on the canal made me laugh, too.

I'm curious about the three different looks for the nose of the train ("Tulip" "Maple Leaf" and the edgy one); are they proposing Ottawa choose one of the three, or suggesting that we order slightly different looking trainsets, making for some "trainspotting" fun for the users who pay attention? The different (very brightly) coloured Citadis trams in they rolled out in Reims were a big hit: "have you seen the pink one?"

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
The cars on the canal made me laugh, too.

I'm curious about the three different looks for the nose of the train ("Tulip" "Maple Leaf" and the edgy one); are they proposing Ottawa choose one of the three, or suggesting that we order slightly different looking trainsets, making for some "trainspotting" fun for the users who pay attention? The different (very brightly) coloured Citadis trams in they rolled out in Reims were a big hit: "have you seen the pink one?"
All the renderings I have seen so far have been the "Maple Leaf" design, which I can't say I'm particularly fond of (the "beak" it has is ugly). Many of the units in France seem cleaner and less polarizing design wise.

I can't see having multiple designs at once, since it complicates spare parts and maintenance with no monetary benefit. Paint is easier to change up.

The model they had at the public displays showed the maple leaf design with 5 cars, but the video showed two different lengths, 4 and 5 cars. Which are we getting, or is this a plan for eventual upgrade?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 2:35 AM

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 10:32 PM

Looks like the first section of Transitway is about to be permanently closed.

http://www.octranspo1.com/routes/con...e_cosntruction

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 12:43 AM

Ottawa Sun article;

Quote:
OC Transpo must finalize LRT station names, train designs this summer

OC Transpo is playing the name game for the $2.1-billion LRT line and it’s under pressure to make some quick decisions.

The transit and rail departments have invited three commissioners — councillors Diane Deans, Katherine Hobbs and citizen member Blair Crew — to sit on a working group to determine the station names and specific design elements.

For example, Transpo must settle on paint schemes for inside and outside the LRT trains and how the nose of the trains will look. That information will inform the train manufacturer, Alstom, as it builds the Citadis Spirit trains for the Rideau Transit Group.

Deans, chairwoman of the transit commission, said the naming scheme must be intuitive for residents and tourists.

“I think it’s going to have to be simple,” Deans said Wednesday.

“We’re going to have to look at a lot of the stations and have names that provide a location that people easily and readily understand. I don’t think we want to get too flowery about how we go about naming it. I think we want to be very practical in the approach.”

Deans said Transpo will look at ways to consult the public but the deadlines are coming quick.

Alstom must have some of the details by August. Station names must also be sorted out by then.

“The timelines are tighter than we originally had anticipated,” Deans said. “We don’t have a lot of time. We have to get on with it.”

Transpo GM John Marconi said RTG needs “baseline information” during the LRT construction.

“There’s a hierarchy with the process. You have to name the system, you have to name the lines, you have to name the stations,” Marconi said.

“With respect to how you do that, there are principles in the transit industry that are used. Do you go with street names? Do you go with landmarks? You make it functional and whatever public engagement we do, (Deans) has been clear she wants the public involved in that. It’s about managing what that engagement strategy is.”

Deans doesn’t anticipate all 13 station names currently on the map will change but placeholders like Downtown West and Downtown East will need better names to provide more information about their locations.

Transpo will also have to determine if it should stick with “Confederation Line,” which is currently the working name for the 12.5-km LRT.

“People seem to like that line name, but is there something else? I don’t know at this point,” Deans said.
http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/05/15/...ns-this-summer

Hierarchy according to J.OT13

System name: metro

Line name: Confederation

Stations;

Downtown West; Lyon or Place de Ville

Downtown East; Metcalfe, Parliement, World Exchange or Confederation (requires O-Train station name change, maybe to Heron)

Campus; University or University of Ottawa

Train; Stadium, Tremblay or rename the VIA and the ORT stations after someone deserving

No other changes.

But, while we are at it, lets play the name game for the western extension;

Westboro; Metropole (I don't like the surrounding street names)

Dominion; Westboro

Baseline; Algonquin or Algonquin College

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 1:16 AM
Still optimistic

My try:

DT East: Lyon
DT West: Parliament/Parlement
Campus: University/Université

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 2:01 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
My try:

I hate bilingual names. It should be a single name that works in both languages. University doesn't really work because Ottawa has more than one university. If they want to rename Campus Station they might want to call it UOttawa Station. Works in both languages.

As for Downtown East, I know a lot of people want a link to Parliament but it's tough to find this kind of name that works in both languages. How about Canada Station since it's arguably the most Canadian place in the entire country?

Lyon is not a bad name but it would be nice to have the other downtown station have a more nationally significant name befitting the heart of the capital. You'd need to find one that is both nationally significant and that is intuitive to metro riders to give them an idea what is around there.

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 2:12 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I hate bilingual names. It should be a single name that works in both languages. University doesn't really work because Ottawa has more than one university. If they want to rename Campus Station they might want to call it UOttawa Station. Works in both languages.

As for Downtown East, I know a lot of people want a link to Parliament but it's tough to find this kind of name that works in both languages. How about Canada Station since it's arguably the most Canadian place in the entire country?

Lyon is not a bad name but it would be nice to have the other downtown station have a more nationally significant name befitting the heart of the capital. You'd need to find one that is both nationally significant and that is intuitive to metro riders to give them an idea what is around there.
Downtown West: it provides access to Queen St. Any appetite from Ottawans to call it Queen Elizabeth Station? She's our head of state after all. And yes I know that Queen Street is named for Victoria rather than Elizabeth.

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 2:12 AM

Quote:
My try:

I like these names.

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Downtown West: it provides access to Queen St. Any appetite from Ottawans to call it Queen Elizabeth Station? She's our head of state after all. And yes I know that Queen Street is named for Victoria rather than Elizabeth.
Dear god no. Lyon and Metcalfe are good names for the downtown stations, and much more "pure Ottawa". Besides, we already have a QE Driveway.

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 10:16 AM
Still optimistic

Yeah, maybe to avoid different names in different languages, Campus could be kept Campus, but I rather like Parliament/Parlement: It's only one or two short blocks away and it's informative for tourists (for what it's worth). One bilingual name isn't too bad.

Tunney's Pasture should just be named Tunny to make it better in French too (Pré Tunny is pretty hideous IMO)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation