HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 11:47 PM
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
They are hoping to have this built for 2014, now I've heard someone thinking Cape Breton might run for the 2015 Memorial Cup thinking probably at earliest the tournament will be in 2018. But with the reduction in seats planned from 5000 to 4000 that will probably hurt.

Meanwhile, after the season, city will spent 800 000$ on emergency repairs so it the arena will hang on until the opening of the new arena. Sounds like one possible contender for building the arena might be Multivesco which was a contender in the initial PPP renovation project which was rejected by the provincial government for procedural reasons.

I hope groundbreaking will start next spring though but we will have to wait for the offers by the potential contenders, but maybe it can be sometime next year..
The provincial government has officially announced the founding of 26.5 million for the arena. Finally, I would say the fiasco is over... well there is still the construction part that could maybe be a problem... just look at the sports complex which had several delays even during the construction phrase and still more issues AFTER the opening.

Of course it's election year in Quebec so spending will fly especially with the potential of the PQ regaining power or perhaps the new "ADQ" led by Mr. Legault
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 8:29 PM

New Gatineau Arena

Check it out,

The City of Gatineau has released this video showing the new Gatineau Arena:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxZpRuLUWl4

At 3:02 of the video, you can see the renders of the new complex.

Jt-MTL

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 11:27 PM

Nice building, but sad to see Bob's last stand. Too bad it doesn't have a better connection to the Rapibus.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Nice building, but sad to see Bob's last stand. Too bad it doesn't have a better connection to the Rapibus.
I work near the Montcalm station (in the industrial/commercial area north of Allumetière blvd) and I can tell you there's been little thought put into pedestrians connections. There's no pedestrians access to the Montcalm station from the North (ie. Allumetière blvd). It is only accessible form the South along Montcalm.

Last edited by Capital Shaun; Jul 22, 2013 at 11:51 PM. Reason: typos

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Shaun View Post
I work near the Montcalm station (in the industrial/commercial area north of Allumetière blvd) and I can tell you there's been little thought put into pedestrians connections. There's no pedestrians access to the Montcalm station from the North (ie. Allumetière blvd). It is only accessible form the South along Montcalm.
Poorly planned system. It's like nothing beyond the busway crossed there mind. At least in Ottawa the Regional government invested in pedestrian bridges and tunnels where necessary to better connect with communities and landmarks. Just seems like a safe, pleasant, well lit pedestrian connection to a huge investment like the Centre Multifonctionnel would be an obvious priority.

It's great to have a bunch of different projects (Rapibus, Centre Multifonctionnel, Destination Gatineau...) but you need a way to build a relationship between them.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 1:00 AM

I agree...Though I am happy to see these kinds of developments, I would have preferred the new arena was in its original place, at the corner of Montcalm and Wellington to create a downtown vibrancy.

I think they decided to put it where it is because:

1. They want to rejuvenate that area of the city, hopefuly spurning more residential development in that are. You can already see a block away (on Carillon and Allumetieres), they have a condo/aprtment complex going up.

2. Easy access for cars/roadie trucks to get out, with the entrance to highway 50 right there, and for people who want to head back to Ottawa (via the bridge or highway 5).

3. And third, it still closer for Ottawa downtown folk to attend an event there, than Kanata or the RA Centre. If anything, this new building should attract more events than just the hockey games. I think that's why they are branding it a multifunctional centre rather tham just an arena.

One thing I love in the renders, is how they have the natural light coming into the arena...hopefully that will part of the new building.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt-mtl View Post
I agree...Though I am happy to see these kinds of developments, I would have preferred the new arena was in its original place, at the corner of Montcalm and Wellington to create a downtown vibrancy.

I think they decided to put it where it is because:

1. They want to rejuvenate that area of the city, hopefuly spurning more residential development in that are. You can already see a block away (on Carillon and Allumetieres), they have a condo/aprtment complex going up.

2. Easy access for cars/roadie trucks to get out, with the entrance to highway 50 right there, and for people who want to head back to Ottawa (via the bridge or highway 5).

3. And third, it still closer for Ottawa downtown folk to attend an event there, than Kanata or the RA Centre. If anything, this new building should attract more events than just the hockey games. I think that's why they are branding it a multifunctional centre rather tham just an arena.

One thing I love in the renders, is how they have the natural light coming into the arena...hopefully that will part of the new building.
I think the main reason they went with the site was because the Montcalm/Wellington proposal was too expensive. But yes, it would have been a better spot.

It will be a good place for smaller, more intimate concerts, sort of in between the Corel Centre and the NAC. Probably cheaper to use then the Civic Centre as well , not to mention more parking.

I wish the Rapibus Station would have been built north of des Allumettières with a bridge or tunnel to the new Centre.

I sure hope the area gets redeveloped and eventually connects with the rest of the "Downtown Island of Hull", creating a proper continuation of the downtown area.

Renders are pretty nice. The place could end up pretty awesome.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Poorly planned system. It's like nothing beyond the busway crossed there mind. At least in Ottawa the Regional government invested in pedestrian bridges and tunnels where necessary to better connect with communities and landmarks. Just seems like a safe, pleasant, well lit pedestrian connection to a huge investment like the Centre Multifonctionnel would be an obvious priority.

It's great to have a bunch of different projects (Rapibus, Centre Multifonctionnel, Destination Gatineau...) but you need a way to build a relationship between them.
There's even a MUP along the creek (ruisseau de la brasserie) they could have leveraged to make connections to the Rapibus station. Currently that MUP goes beneath Montcalm with no official ramps to that road.

Ottawa's pedestrians connection to the Transitway aren't perfect but they're way better than what Gatineau is about to give us.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Shaun View Post
There's even a MUP along the creek (ruisseau de la brasserie) they could have leveraged to make connections to the Rapibus station. Currently that MUP goes beneath Montcalm with no official ramps to that road.

Ottawa's pedestrians connection to the Transitway aren't perfect but they're way better than what Gatineau is about to give us.
While there is no "official" ramp between the MUP running beside rivière de la Brasserie and Montcalm, the path it is easily reached on either side of Montcalm except for perhaps someone in a wheelchair. From there the path goes north under Allumettières to a ramp providing access to the sidewalk that will be directly in front of the arena, so no major streets to cross. Probably a 5 minute walk at most, which is not too bad. I agree though that a paved ramp would be better than the dirt path currently in place, and I imagine/hope this is in the works as part of the rue Montcalm makeover.

In the end I imagine most rapibus users will end up crossing Allumettières at Morin and walking to Montcalm via Morin & Papineau for any events ending at night, unless they decide to put lights up along the pathway (or are there lights there already?).

They also may have STO buses stopped in front of the arena on Allumettières or in the parking lot, ready to head out onto the 50 as soon as they fill up with the onramp less than 100m away.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agl View Post
While there is no "official" ramp between the MUP running beside rivière de la Brasserie and Montcalm, the path it is easily reached on either side of Montcalm except for perhaps someone in a wheelchair. From there the path goes north under Allumettières to a ramp providing access to the sidewalk that will be directly in front of the arena, so no major streets to cross. Probably a 5 minute walk at most, which is not too bad. I agree though that a paved ramp would be better than the dirt path currently in place, and I imagine/hope this is in the works as part of the rue Montcalm makeover.
In winter those makeshift paths are unusable for many and that MUP isn't currently plowed. Also the sections under Allumetière & Montcalm are also prone to spring flooding. The path could be used year round to connect to the Montcalm station but it would require some upgrades and winter maintenance.

Quote:
In the end I imagine most rapibus users will end up crossing Allumettières at Morin and walking to Montcalm via Morin & Papineau for any events ending at night, unless they decide to put lights up along the pathway (or are there lights there already?).
At the moment there are no lights along that pathway but you are correct, they could cut through the residential area south of the arena.

Quote:
They also may have STO buses stopped in front of the arena on Allumettières or in the parking lot, ready to head out onto the 50 as soon as they fill up with the onramp less than 100m away.
Actually, an STO bus leaving the arena can easily access the rapibus by turning left off Allumetière onto its onramp. Of course that only benefits the arena when there's events.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 4:41 PM
Awesome!

Sorry for those old topic revivals lately

It appears according to the French CBC, the province may announce this week the authorization of the construction of the new arena by way of decree . Founding was already granted in 2012 - see post above. Now of course with my usual political cynicism, much like in Ontario there is an election smell in Quebec and it could be imminent as well.

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/regions/o...tremulti.shtml
http://ici.radio-canada.ca/regions/o...isteriel.shtml
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 6:04 PM
Busy Beaver

Tabaslak, that's ugly and completely indifferent to context, with zero pedestrian consideration. They should expropriate the block of dinky houses to the west of the site and build something that takes advantage of the creekside location and its pathway connections.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2014, 4:31 PM
Awesome!

Definitely the houses (assuming you're talking about the ones between Morin and the Hwy 50 on-ramp) should go. Add a bit business besides the new arena, so maybe people can stick around a bit after the Piques Games or other events. There was mention during the entire saga about adding hundreds of new residential units, although haven't heard they it will still be built. Maybe a new grocery store would be good even though already one might be built further in downtown.

Also regarding the homes on Morin and the corner must be really tough living right beside a highway as well as an increasingly busy arterial road - I say tougher since they've completed the new Highway 148 routing to Aylmer.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 3:41 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post

Tabaslak, that's ugly and completely indifferent to context, with zero pedestrian consideration. They should expropriate the block of dinky houses to the west of the site and build something that takes advantage of the creekside location and its pathway connections.
If you look at this video you will see it is not really that bad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxZpRuLUWl4

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 2:05 PM
Still optimistic

Actually, that video pretty much confirms to me that the design is an awful continuation of Place-du-Portage-esque concrete plazas devoid of the happy people so prominently figured in the renders.

Who are all these people? Where are they going? What reason do they have to stay and where do they sit?

This is a drive-trough design: no one is going to walk across the A-50 from the Rapibus station to get there or stroll along the minimum-width sidewalks on the 6-lane Des Allumettières. They're also not going to sit in the unshaded concrete plaza to watch cars speed past.

No, they're going to drive in on the highway, park in the garage and drive out as soon as they're done.

No matter how many imaginary render-pedestrians they put there to make it seem as busy as Union Square, it can't hide the fact that the neo-modernist design will insure that the only pedestrians there will be ones walking to their cars.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 2:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Perhaps my expectations are too low. What is being proposed looks like a huge improvement over what we have at the moment.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
Actually, that video pretty much confirms to me that the design is an awful continuation of Place-du-Portage-esque concrete plazas devoid of the happy people so prominently figured in the renders.

Who are all these people? Where are they going? What reason do they have to stay and where do they sit?

This is a drive-trough design: no one is going to walk across the A-50 from the Rapibus station to get there or stroll along the minimum-width sidewalks on the 6-lane Des Allumettières. They're also not going to sit in the unshaded concrete plaza to watch cars speed past.

No, they're going to drive in on the highway, park in the garage and drive out as soon as they're done.

No matter how many imaginary render-pedestrians they put there to make it seem as busy as Union Square, it can't hide the fact that the neo-modernist design will insure that the only pedestrians there will be ones walking to their cars.
Agree wholeheartedly with your comments.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 5:54 PM
Busy Beaver

The whole skewing of the building (which is its main design feature) as a "réponse nature" is utterly contrived and weak based on the angle of Gatineau Park's border at the Lac-des-Fées parkway. Ruisseau de la Brasserie is right there under its nose, and that's the nature it should respond to. Old Hull's street grid is almost perfectly north-south/east-west, and this skew to me looks more like it's aligned with downtown Ottawa's street grid

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 11:06 PM
Still optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
The whole skewing of the building (which is its main design feature) as a "réponse nature" is utterly contrived and weak based on the angle of Gatineau Park's border at the Lac-des-Fées parkway. Ruisseau de la Brasserie is right there under its nose, and that's the nature it should respond to. Old Hull's street grid is almost perfectly north-south/east-west, and this skew to me looks more like it's aligned with downtown Ottawa's street grid
It's this kind of 'Réponse' bullcrap that discredits architecture. I mean, really, what is that even supposed to mean at all? And all these 'inspirations' of Valleys and Blue and Green - give me a friggn break.

Architecture isn't supposed to be some stand-alone life-sized sculpture which belongs in the MoMA. Buildings are cells in an organism - they need to work together if they are ever to be beautiful anywhere but on paper. This building could be anywhere. You could build it in Phoenix, in Anchorage or on Mars and it would still be as contextually irrelevant as it is in Gatineau. I mean, there's not even an acknowledgement of anything surrounding it besides the completely meaningless 'réponse' crap. And you know, this is what I'm so sick of - this kind of context-less architecture creates the placelessness our cities currently suffer of.

Why not integrate it with the Ruisseau de la Brasserie? Or how about redesigning Des Allumettières with the Centre Multi in mind? Or just anything, ANYTHING but another removed brutalist plaza and a shoppers'-hell-style building-in-a-parking-lot.

I beg of you.

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 1:51 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Coup de théâtre (spectacular turn of events) on this file yesterday.

The Ville de Gatineau has rejected all of the proposals filed by contractors to build the new arena, and smelling something fishy, has turned the file over to the UPAC, which is a pseudo-police force that investigates corruption and collusion and is the feeder for the highly publicized Commission Charbonneau.

The subsidy from Quebec for the arena is not in danger, though, and the mayor says if they can iron a few things out quickly there is still a good chance they can meet the deadline.

So stay tuned...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa