HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireicedog View Post
Another relatively new ayce sushi place is sakura on merivale, it's pretty much beside xscargo.

Snapped a shot at it but didn't go in, decided to go to buffet yangming across the street instead.
Tried it last Friday night...meh.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 9:11 PM

The Japanese Embassy uses Festival Japan on Kent and Suisha Gardens on Slater for their receptions, that should say something.

Personally the combination of customer service, ambiance and quality of food at Wasabi on Clarence really set it apart. Ed and Tim the co-owners really understand the customer service approach to building loyalty. On the opposite extreme is Kinki, which while it may score high on quality of food and presentation, the pretentious attitude of its servers is enough to make me want to spend my dollars anywhere but. I'm far from being a prude, but their ridiculous website, which makes Beaver Hunt look like a classy publication is another reason to avoid. http://www.kinki.ca/ I despise businesses that try desperately to shock the public's sense of morality like it's some banner of coolness--it's contrived and inauthentic, which sums up Kinki rather well.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 11:26 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
The Japanese Embassy uses Festival Japan on Kent and Suisha Gardens on Slater for their receptions, that should say something.
That reminds me of a story. One time back in the 90's I was celebrating my birthday at Suisha Gardens, and we had the family dinner in one of the Tatami rooms, and a delegation of Japanese Diplomats were in the next room. Noriko, who was part of our group, was a Japanese student studying at Carleton and one thing led to another, and both groups were talking to eachother, and the Japanese Ambassador at the time apparently thought it was delightful that a young western boy like myself chose to eat sushi at a Japanese restaurant for my birthday. He bought me a plate of my favourite; unagi.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 6:18 PM

Sushi Kanata at Centrum is quite good, went there last night before the game.

Go Leafs Go!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 10:44 PM

Genji on Lisgar has the best sushi IMO. Would def. recommend to anyone!

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 6:42 PM

I hope this one (and other approved condos in Dow's Lake) will get built soon.

My friends, who own a sushi place on Preston (about 5 minutes walk from the Icon) have been counting on the hipsters and the young(er) condo dwellers to support their business.

So far, this has not materialized. They could possibly survive until these condos are built but it certainly won't be easy.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post

My friends, who own a sushi place on Preston (about 5 minutes walk from the Icon) have been counting on the hipsters and the young(er) condo dwellers to support their business.

So far, this has not materialized. They could possibly survive until these condos are built but it certainly won't be easy.
Completion is still years away even in the best case scenario. A lifetime in the restaurant biz. There is a dearth of decent sushi in this town and a good and reasonably priced sushi place should do very well. I might try it out myself this weekend.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 9:20 PM

Quote:

Hey there's sushi in Little Italy? I know where I'm having lunch on Saturday. What's it called?

Ever since I moved from Kingston to Ottawa I've had the most violent sushi cravings, this city's sushi scene is crap. If its any good, I'll be one happy guy!

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Hey there's sushi in Little Italy? I know where I'm having lunch on Saturday. What's it called?

Ever since I moved from Kingston to Ottawa I've had the most violent sushi cravings, this city's sushi scene is crap. If its any good, I'll be one happy guy!
Not to totally veer off topic, but if you're new to Ottawa and want some delicious sushi, I would highly recommend Genji Sushi on Lisgar at Elgin. Second choice, Wasabi in the Market - but you pay a higher price/dish due to their location.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 10:12 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Quote:
Barging in here. I've been to one called Kiko. It was very good.

http://www.kikosushibar.com/

Incidentally, reading all of these negative comments about sushi in Ottawa makes me wonder what people are looking for. I've never had a problem getting great sushi in Ottawa.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:

It is called Kochu, near corner of Preston and Gladstone. They opened last year so still trying to establish a good clientele. Nice small little shop that also does Korean cuisine, it's the 2nd store for the sisters, the 1st one on Elgin near Somerset has been doing quite well.

I think they will pull thru with their experience and know-how. Certainly having more people living in the area and the right clientele e.g. the younger crowd maybe more open to trying sushi can only help but those are the factors beyond their control.

I believe Nokham Thai on Preston just closed its door and you don't want to see small businesses shuttering but that's the nature of the beast. Restaurant is decidedly a cut-throat business.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer24 View Post
Not to totally veer off topic, but if you're new to Ottawa and want some delicious sushi, I would highly recommend Genji Sushi on Lisgar at Elgin. Second choice, Wasabi in the Market - but you pay a higher price/dish due to their location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
Barging in here. I've been to one called Kiko. It was very good.

http://www.kikosushibar.com/

Incidentally, reading all of these negative comments about sushi in Ottawa makes me wonder what people are looking for. I've never had a problem getting great sushi in Ottawa.
Quote:
It is called Kochu, near corner of Preston and Gladstone. They opened last year so still trying to establish a good clientele. Nice small little shop that also does Korean cuisine, it's the 2nd store for the sisters, the 1st one on Elgin near Somerset has been doing quite well.

I think they will pull thru with their experience and know-how. Certainly having more people living in the area and the right clientele e.g. the younger crowd maybe more open to trying sushi can only help but those are the factors beyond their control.

I believe Nokham Thai on Preston just closed its door and you don't want to see small businesses shuttering but that's the nature of the beast. Restaurant is decidedly a cut-throat business.
Great to hear. As to why I have had difficulty with sushi here, it's a combination of 1) the first few places I tried were really bad, and 2) Kingston spoiled me. Seriously, that city is like a sushi mecca.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 11:24 AM

I'll vouch for Genji, too; definitely tastier than Claridge.

Last edited by McC; May 30, 2014 at 1:36 PM. Reason: removed non sequitor from post removed from Claridge Icon thread ;-)

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 1:04 PM

Should we open a sushi thread??

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 3:29 PM
Mooderator

There's a place in Aylmer called Hokkaido Sushi that took over the now defunct Mexicali Rosa's location next to Loblaw's (soon to be Provigo). They aren't too bad, but I think it's a chain restaurant.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 6:20 PM

I am definitely no sushi aficionado, but my girlfriend and I love going to Naked Fish Sushi that's at Richmond & Churchill.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2014, 1:51 AM

My friends and I are avid sushi goers, so I've been to many of the sushi places in town. My personal favourites are 168 Sushi (both Merivale and St. Laurent) and Sawa Sushi in Orleans (which I just got back from).

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 1:55 AM

My fav place is Sushi 168! Food and atmosphere is the same at both Merivale and St-Laurent location, only difference is St-Laurent location doesn't have the iPads to order from yet... haha

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation