HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1941  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 10:04 PM
Dominion301 Dominion301 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
By the way, I was studying M.T.O.'s proposal of Highway 17 Matawa Bypass the other day. What I noticed was that the North-Bay-bound lanes would utilize the ROW of Ottawa Valley Rail. That said, once the bypass is built, the ship really will have sailed for rail transportation in Upper Ottawa Valley.
I'm just looking forward to twinning 17 to Renfrew first. I doubt there will ever again be train tracks up the Valley beyond what still exists to Arnprior.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1942  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 2:19 AM
roger1818 roger1818 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Stittsville, ON
Posts: 4,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
I doubt there will ever again be train tracks up the Valley beyond what still exists to Arnprior.
I agree. The track isn't coming back. My point was more that if the ROWs were publicly owned, one of the 3 ROWs may have been preserved.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1943  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 2:52 AM
lrt's friend lrt's friend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
I agree. The track isn't coming back. My point was more that if the ROWs were publicly owned, one of the 3 ROWs may have been preserved.
The best ROW was the one that went through the northern part of Algonquin Park (CN) but park officials were intent in getting rid of it. I think it was removed in 1996.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1944  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 11:07 AM
Urban_Sky Urban_Sky is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Montreal
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
The best ROW was the one that went through the northern part of Algonquin Park (CN) but park officials were intent in getting rid of it. I think it was removed in 1996.
Why was that (the CN route via Brent) the best alignment when it virtually avoided any population between Pembroke and Thunder Bay, while the CP route (i.e. the one which served communities like Petawawa, Chalk River, Deep River and Mattawa and therefore saw passenger service past 1978 - when it was abandoned on your prefered CN line - and until 1990)?
__________________
Disclaimer: I am employed by VIA Rail. However, the opinions expressed here are my own and VIA is in no way liable or responsible for their content. Comments and figures posted by me here should be treated as the work of an enthusiastic University student currently researching part-time on related topics and not in any way be linked to my employment at VIA Rail.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1945  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 1:40 PM
Dominion301 Dominion301 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
I agree. The track isn't coming back. My point was more that if the ROWs were publicly owned, one of the 3 ROWs may have been preserved.
I think the best we could ever hope for someday is a commuter train from Arnprior and even that’s a stretch.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1946  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 2:10 PM
roger1818 roger1818 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Stittsville, ON
Posts: 4,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
The best ROW was the one that went through the northern part of Algonquin Park (CN) but park officials were intent in getting rid of it. I think it was removed in 1996.
I wouldn't underestimate how the issues resulting from a rail line bisecting a Provincial (or National) park.

The other problem with the old Canadian Northern ROW is that it crosses the Ottawa river twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Sky View Post
Why was that (the CN route via Brent) the best alignment when it virtually avoided any population between Pembroke and Thunder Bay, while the CP route (i.e. the one which served communities like Petawawa, Chalk River, Deep River and Mattawa and therefore saw passenger service past 1978 - when it was abandoned on your prefered CN line - and until 1990)?
You are looking at it from a passenger perspective. Passenger service along this route will unlikely ever be viable. From a freight perspective, not having mile long freight trains (potentially caring dangerous goods) rumble through town, isolating parts of town from emergency services, is a good thing (just look at the issues Bellville is having with CP's Bellville Sub).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1947  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 8:04 PM
lrt's friend lrt's friend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Sky View Post
Why was that (the CN route via Brent) the best alignment when it virtually avoided any population between Pembroke and Thunder Bay, while the CP route (i.e. the one which served communities like Petawawa, Chalk River, Deep River and Mattawa and therefore saw passenger service past 1978 - when it was abandoned on your prefered CN line - and until 1990)?
It was the most direct route to the Sudbury area. I was looking at it from a freight perspective as an alternative connection to Northern Ontario and the west and with the understanding that at the time of the elimination of all rail service in the Ottawa Valley, that there was no freight customers left.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1948  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 3:44 AM
Dengler Avenue's Avatar
Dengler Avenue Dengler Avenue is online now
Shoehorn Freeway ca 2017
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Nowhere on the 17 or 417, actually
Posts: 4,944
Okay I know we’re digressing quite a bit, but the area around where Ottawa Valley Rail used to go between Deux Rivières and Bissett Creek, what’s the typology there like? Is it like swamps/muskegs sandwiched between mountains?
__________________
We'll soon begin work to extend Highway 417 to Renfrew, first replacing the intersection of Calabogie Road with an interchange!

On va prolonger l'Autoroute 417 jusqu'à Renfrew à bientôt, tout en remplaçant l'intersection du Chemin Calabogie à un échangeur d'abord!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1949  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 12:17 PM
GoTrans GoTrans is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
It was the most direct route to the Sudbury area. I was looking at it from a freight perspective as an alternative connection to Northern Ontario and the west and with the understanding that at the time of the elimination of all rail service in the Ottawa Valley, that there was no freight customers left.
The CN route was not any more direct than the CP route, The difference is in the the grades and the curvatures. The CP route has steeper grades than CN particularly the Deux Rivieres section compared to Brent n the CN line.

Even with the loss of business in the Ottawa valley there was enough bridge traffic to keep one line open for joint use by both CN and CP. This would have allowed an alternative route during blockades and less interference from CN freights for Via trains on the lakeshore route.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1950  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 4:36 PM
Gat-Train's Avatar
Gat-Train Gat-Train is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Would there even be close to enough ridership to support an Ottawa Valley line sans some very heavy subsidies?
We subsidize private automobile and truck transportation, so I don't see why we shouldn't also subsidize rail transporation, especially considering it's much better for the planet.
__________________
More like HYPE-rloop amirite?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1951  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 5:45 PM
Truenorth00 Truenorth00 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 4,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gat-Train View Post
We subsidize private automobile and truck transportation, so I don't see why we shouldn't also subsidize rail transporation, especially considering it's much better for the planet.
Sure. But if the ridership can only fill a coach bus every hour, why would you build a rail line?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1952  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 5:57 PM
Gat-Train's Avatar
Gat-Train Gat-Train is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Sure. But if the ridership can only fill a coach bus every hour, why would you build a rail line?
We're not talking about building a rail line, merely not destroying it
__________________
More like HYPE-rloop amirite?
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:50 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.