HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 1:18 PM

The duplex at 299 Ashton Ave was built sometime after 2015.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 11:42 PM

Rentals I assume????

I would assume that this will be rentals? Given their track record of collecting deposits for condos and then converting to rentals down the road, I would never buy a condo from them!!!!!!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
I would assume that this will be rentals? Given their track record of collecting deposits for condos and then converting to rentals down the road, I would never buy a condo from them!!!!!!
I assume so as well. They usually present an amazing design when "selling" a building as a condo, before switching to rentals and establishing a new, blander design. This time, they came in with a terrible design right off the bat.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 8:25 PM

Lofty - Westboro - 30 floors

I haven't found a thread on this one yet, if there is already please feel free to merge it.

But while we were discussing the Bank?Riverside Lofty Park River Development project, this is being shown on their website: https://www.parkriver.ca/home/loftywestboro

not sure what the exact address is.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 8:39 PM

I knew it looked familiar. Moderator beat me to it.

I guess ParkRiver bought the property from Surface and are using the existing crappy proposal as a placeholder?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 12:11 AM

Updated Design

Hi All - please see the attached link to our recent UDRP presentation that was posted in DevApps. Looking forward to your feedback!

http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...esentation.PDF

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkRiverProperties View Post
Hi All - please see the attached link to our recent UDRP presentation that was posted in DevApps. Looking forward to your feedback!

Whoah...an RLA design that is not absolutely horrible/exactly the same as every other? How did Park River pull this off?

Edit: Look how nice this design is compared to the completed RLA monstrosity in the back right.
[IMG]Screenshot 2020-12-13 192027 by harley613, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 3:37 AM

Quote:

Thanks for sharing this Park River. It’s refreshing to see you + surface developments hold the architect to account for their proposal. This is one of RLA’s better attempts and it shows.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 3:41 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

...as well as:

Updated siteplan:

Updated renderings:

Last edited by rocketphish; Dec 14, 2020 at 2:58 PM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayday23 View Post
Thanks for sharing this Park River. It’s refreshing to see you + surface developments hold the architect to account for their proposal. This is one of RLA’s better attempts and it shows.
Let's not give credit to Surface. They released some amazing projects with exaggerated sales numbers, but after a few years sitting on potential buyers' deposits, they quickly turned the ship and shifted their projects from condos to rentals and presented new, massively disappointing designs.

More on that on the 1946 Scott thread: https://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum...ighlight=scott

In the case of 2050 Scott, I agree the new design is night and day over the original. The podium in particular is quite interesting. The tower reminds me of another competent RLA design, SoHo Italia. As much as RLA spews out many bland, unaspiring designs, they did do some good work on the Mastercraft-Starwood SoHo series.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 7:24 PM

This is 50 shades of Gotham, with a clay brick walkup vibe and the greatest hits mix of Bank/Laurier and the new SoBa. But I like Gotham, so I'm ok with this.

Access for construction and future repair is always a head scratcher with these variegated balconies. Watching the scaffolding and swing stage dance on SoBa, I could tell it was a head scratcher for local contractors as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Let's not give credit to Surface. They released some amazing projects with exaggerated sales numbers, but after a few years sitting on potential buyers' deposits, they quickly turned the ship and shifted their projects from condos to rentals and presented new, massively disappointing designs.

More on that on the 1946 Scott thread: https://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum...ighlight=scott

In the case of 2050 Scott, I agree the new design is night and day over the original. The podium in particular is quite interesting. The tower reminds me of another competent RLA design, SoHo Italia. As much as RLA spews out many bland, unaspiring designs, they did do some good work on the Mastercraft-Starwood SoHo series.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 9:25 PM
Busy Beaver

Of course they'll build this and block all the east facing views

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 8:04 PM

Just heard from a family friend that the people living in the small apartment building on Ashton have been given a notice to relocate by June. It's crazy to think such a tall building is going up there... I grew up on Ashton and I never imagined there would be a 35 storey tower rising directly across from where I lived.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 8:06 PM

Big changes in the area, no doubt. I wonder if/when we'll see the same on Richmond between Kitchi Sibi and Lincoln Fields.

The little 4 storey condo next door will look out of place in 5 years.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 11:33 PM

Just for clarification - we have not provided notice to any tenants to vacate. We are still working through the rezoning process and do not have any specific timelines for the development. Once we have an approved concept, we will be providing an update to tenants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid247 View Post
Just heard from a family friend that the people living in the small apartment building on Ashton have been given a notice to relocate by June. It's crazy to think such a tall building is going up there... I grew up on Ashton and I never imagined there would be a 35 storey tower rising directly across from where I lived.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Just for clarification - we have not provided notice to any tenants to vacate. We are still working through the rezoning process and do not have any specific timelines for the development. Once we have an approved concept, we will be providing an update to tenants.
Fair enough. Like I said, I heard it by word of mouth so it shouldn't be taken for the gospel.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid247 View Post
Fair enough. Like I said, I heard it by word of mouth so it shouldn't be taken for the gospel.
Completely understand. Just wanted to make sure our tenants don’t come across it and take it as fact. We want to make sure they are the first to know, with as much notice as we can provide once we have any specific timelines for the project.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Completely understand. Just wanted to make sure our tenants don’t come across it and take it as fact. We want to make sure they are the first to know, with as much notice as we can provide once we have any specific timelines for the project.
Makes sense.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 1:45 PM

March 2021 submission on DevApps.

https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...B2WKO7/details

Based on November 2020 design review panel comments.

2046-2050 Scott Street and 295-301 Ashton Avenue | Formal Review | Zoning By-law Amendment | Roderick Lahey Architect Inc; Fotenn Planning + Design

Summary
  • The Panel offered general support for the proposal and appreciated the design team’s explanation of the design process.
  • The Panel made recommendations aimed at reducing the mass of the building and improving relationships with the neighbours, increasing the public realm, and finessing the architectural expression and materiality.

Massing
  • The proposed three-storey height and alignment of the facades with the neighbouring buildings demonstrates a good sensitivity to Ashton Street. The six-storey podium is an appropriate scale for Scott Street.
  • The Panel strongly recommended that the proponent continue to study the west façade of the building and the primary window to primary window relationship that is established with the neighbouring building.
  • The Panel questioned the proposed density and height of the project and suggested that it was a very densely packed site. Recommendations made to reduce the density included:

1. Slim the tower floorplate and increase its setback from the west property line. The eight-metre setback is quite tight.
  2. Set the building back further on Scott Street to have a more generous public realm.
  3. The “bustle” between the three-storey expression and the tower adds quite a bit of height and bulk adjacent to the low-rise buildings. Analyze the relationship that this will create with the neighbouring properties and potentially set back the fourth, fifth, and sixth floors from the Ashton façade.

Architecture and Materiality
  • The Panel generally felt that the building is elegantly designed.
  • Consider increasing the floor-to-ceiling height of the ground floor retail units on Scott Street. It was also suggested that the height of the white band could be increased to double-height.
  • The Panel generally felt that the white boxes worked well on the Ashton Street façade, but were competing too greatly with the band above the ground floor on the Scott façade. Continue to study this.
  • The Panel cautioned that the white bands’ reliance on integrated lighting could potentially be problematic over time, once the bulbs require replacement.
  • It was suggested that the dark tower cladding may not be as successful as the renderings illustrate and recommended that the proportion of glass could be increased on these parts of the towers.
  • Consider working more regularity and calmness into the fenestration pattern on the black portion of the tower.
  • The Panel recommended continuing to study the location of the parking garage entrance on Scott Street. Relocating it to the end of the building may provide more flexibility for the ground floor retail units.

Public Realm
  • It is recommended that the building be setback further on Scott Street to provide space for a more generous public realm treatment, given the number of residents that will live here.

https://ottawa.ca/en/planning-develo...r-1-and-2-2020

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
March 2021 submission on DevApps.

https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...B2WKO7/details

Based on November 2020 design review panel comments.

2046-2050 Scott Street and 295-301 Ashton Avenue | Formal Review | Zoning By-law Amendment | Roderick Lahey Architect Inc; Fotenn Planning + Design

Summary
  • The Panel offered general support for the proposal and appreciated the design team’s explanation of the design process.
  • The Panel made recommendations aimed at reducing the mass of the building and improving relationships with the neighbours, increasing the public realm, and finessing the architectural expression and materiality.

Massing
  • The proposed three-storey height and alignment of the facades with the neighbouring buildings demonstrates a good sensitivity to Ashton Street. The six-storey podium is an appropriate scale for Scott Street.
  • The Panel strongly recommended that the proponent continue to study the west façade of the building and the primary window to primary window relationship that is established with the neighbouring building.
  • The Panel questioned the proposed density and height of the project and suggested that it was a very densely packed site. Recommendations made to reduce the density included:

1. Slim the tower floorplate and increase its setback from the west property line. The eight-metre setback is quite tight.
  2. Set the building back further on Scott Street to have a more generous public realm.
  3. The “bustle” between the three-storey expression and the tower adds quite a bit of height and bulk adjacent to the low-rise buildings. Analyze the relationship that this will create with the neighbouring properties and potentially set back the fourth, fifth, and sixth floors from the Ashton façade.

Architecture and Materiality
  • The Panel generally felt that the building is elegantly designed.
  • Consider increasing the floor-to-ceiling height of the ground floor retail units on Scott Street. It was also suggested that the height of the white band could be increased to double-height.
  • The Panel generally felt that the white boxes worked well on the Ashton Street façade, but were competing too greatly with the band above the ground floor on the Scott façade. Continue to study this.
  • The Panel cautioned that the white bands’ reliance on integrated lighting could potentially be problematic over time, once the bulbs require replacement.
  • It was suggested that the dark tower cladding may not be as successful as the renderings illustrate and recommended that the proportion of glass could be increased on these parts of the towers.
  • Consider working more regularity and calmness into the fenestration pattern on the black portion of the tower.
  • The Panel recommended continuing to study the location of the parking garage entrance on Scott Street. Relocating it to the end of the building may provide more flexibility for the ground floor retail units.

Public Realm
  • It is recommended that the building be setback further on Scott Street to provide space for a more generous public realm treatment, given the number of residents that will live here.

https://ottawa.ca/en/planning-develo...r-1-and-2-2020
A lot of that feedback is good but you can tell based on the language they use that we're still governed by people with a small town parochial mindset who still see density as a thing to be avoid, even when it's near transit.

"The Panel questioned the proposed density and height of the project and suggested that it was a very densely packed site."

The correct response to that is "good! keep up the good work!"

These dinosaurs need to take early retirement and let fresh blood come in.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa