HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Bands, venues announced for Marvest

Lynn Saxberg, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: August 29, 2017 | Last Updated: August 29, 2017 6:00 AM EDT

Folk trio Artichoke Hearts, funksters Chocolate Hot Pockets and the psychedelic garage rockers Heavy Medicine Band are among the more than 50 Ottawa-area bands that will invade Glebe businesses as part of Marvest, the free, two-day “musical harvest” that accompanies next month’s CityFolk festival.

CityFolk runs Sept. 13-17 at Lansdowne Park, with headliners including Father John Misty, Jack Johnson and Rodriguez, while Marvest happens Sept. 15-16 in various venues along Bank Street.

Irene’s Pub is one of the few participating locations that regularly offers live music on a list that also includes restaurants, coffee shops, a toy store and even a sports retailer. The idea for Marvest is patterned after Austin’s South by Southwest showcase festival, when every available space on 6th Street, the Texas city’s entertainment thoroughfare, is called into service as a music venue.

The schedule of who’s performing where during Marvest will be announced soon. Go to cityfolk.com/marvest for more information. Meanwhile, check out the lists of participating bands and venues.

Here’s the list of bands:

Area Resident; Aviation; Beyond Spain; Bruce Enloe; Bryan Snider; Étoile Noire; Expanda Fuzz; Fire Antlers; Gentlemen of the Woods; Grace Marr; Graven; Jad; Jaycee Lauren; Jessica Wedden; JK3; John Fuoco Band; Kimberly Sunstrum; Liam Lloyd; Maeve Lalonde; Mia Kelly; Mister & His Sister; Morris Ogbowu; Okies; Potential Red; RBLx; Rory Taillon & the Old Souls; Rum Fit Mosey; Sarah Scriver; Scary Bear Soundtrack; Shadowhand; Silver Creek; Slim Moore and the New Soul Project; Sons of Pluto; Sounds of Stories; Steph La Rochelle; Swim Team; Tariq Anwar; Templeton Grey; The Artichoke Hearts; The Chocolate Hot Pockets; The Heavy Medicine Band; The Jimmy Tri-Tone Band; The Leaning Lights; The Occasional Angels; The Pie Plates; The Royal Brushoff; Thrust; Training Season; Vicki Brittle; and Weird With Cats.

And here’s the list of venues:
  • Mrs. Tiggy Winkle’s, 809 Bank Street
  • Clocktower Brew Pub, 575 Bank Street
  • Lindt Chocolate Shop, 825 Exhibition Way
  • Whole Foods Market, 951 Bank Street
  • Aroma Espresso Bar, 200 Marché Way #109
  • Irene’s Pub, 885 Bank Street
  • FarmTeam Cookhouse, 683 Bank Street
  • Craft Beer Market, 975 Bank Street
  • BMO at Lansdowne, 100 Marché Way #106
  • Pure Gelato, 843 Bank Street
  • The Unrefined Olive, 151A Second Avenue
  • Industria Pizzeria + Bar, 225 Marche Way #107
  • Kunstadt Sports, 680 Bank Street
  • Arrow & Loon Pub, 99 Fifth Avenue
  • Fifth + Bank, 99 Fifth Avenue
  • The Papery, 850 Bank Street
  • Capital Barber Shop, 590 Bank Street
  • Metro Music, 695 Bank Street
  • Pints & Quarts, 779 Bank Street

http://ottawacitizen.com/entertainme...ed-for-marvest
I reviewed a few of the local acts at Marvest and CityFolk. Shameless plug

http://www.shiftermagazine.com/music...is-ogbowu-rblx

http://www.shiftermagazine.com/music...-cityfolk-2017

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 11:49 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

Cool little vid of street posters showing all the stuff going on in Ottawa - about 2-3 years old and set to music, one per second for about 20 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPxZ7SrsLpk

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 4:43 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Ottawa music strategy a sound plan for economic growth, backers say
Council gives go-ahead to three-year blueprint for boosting music-related businesses

By: David Sali, OBJ
Published: Apr 11, 2018 12:10pm EDT

Music City, Canada?

If Jeff Leiper has his way, that will be Ottawa one day – and the region’s economy, he says, will be stronger for it.

“Music is a cultural pursuit, but it is also an economic driver,” says Kitchissippi ward’s representative on city council, who has earned the title of “music councillor” for his commitment to the cause of promoting the local industry.

According to Leiper, a more vibrant music scene would boost Ottawa’s economy in a host of ways – such as creating new jobs, drawing more tourists to festivals and concerts and making the National Capital Region a magnet for talent in all-important industries such as tech.

“As we seek to make sure that we’ve got a strong, diverse economy, one of the things that we have to ensure we can do is to attract workers to Ottawa,” he says.

“I think a big part of ensuring that we’re an attractive jurisdiction to which knowledge workers might move is to have a good music scene. If you’re 26, 27 years old and you’re coming … out of MIT or Stanford, you can work anywhere in the world. Why would you want to work in Ottawa? I think that having a really good music scene is going to be one important part of that.”

On Wednesday, city council approved the Ottawa Music Strategy, a three-year plan to help boost the fortunes of music-related businesses in the region.

Key planks in the strategy include hiring a full-time staffer at City Hall by 2020 who will help municipal economic development officials and music entrepreneurs work together to build the industry; creating special “musician loading zones” outside busy venues; encouraging agencies such as Ottawa Tourism and Invest Ottawa to spotlight the industry in their promotional campaigns; and providing up to $100,000 in annual city funding for the Ottawa Music Industry Coalition, a local advocacy group.

Leiper, who helped spearhead the new strategy, says he hopes it will help grow the local music community and make more people aware of how important the industry is to Ottawa’s economy and culture.

“It doesn’t take a huge investment in order to try to encourage a strong music industry,” he says, adding that something as simple as hosting concerts at municipally owned venues such as Bayview Yards or City Hall could have a major impact.

Nik Ives-Allison, the general manager of the three-year-old Ottawa Music Industry Coalition, calls the plan a “massive step” forward because she says it shows the city is taking the sector’s concerns seriously.

Seemingly small changes such as implementing special loading zones for musicians unpacking their equipment, for example, would go a long way to help making musicians and the businesses that cater to the industry feel like they’re a more integral part of the city’s economy, she says.

“It’s those little things that seem otherwise inconsequential that are in fact the most important,” says Ives-Allison, whose organization now has more than 180 members.

“These loading zones can really make the difference between whether a music venue remains viable or not. If vans can’t load into a venue, if they can’t find parking, if they can’t access the venue and get their gear in, they’re not going to be able to play. And if they can’t play, those venues can’t stay open. And that’s a huge blow for our music community.”

Like Leiper, Ives-Allison says Ottawa needs to become a destination of choice for more of the best and brightest young workers from Canada and beyond. And she believes music could help make that happen.

However, a provincially funded study three years ago found Ottawa ranked last among six similarly sized Canadian cities in total numbers of musicians, music businesses and live venues – something that has to change, she adds.

“Economically, music is definitely underappreciated as an industry, and I think we’ve kind of underexploited our potential here in Ottawa,” Ives-Allison says.

“But I think as the city becomes more confident in our creative industries, as we become more confident in ourselves, we’re really going to be able to show the city and the people that live here and the broader Canadian public what it means to be from Ottawa in a way that maybe ruffles some of the feathers of those who like to dismiss us as that sleepy government town.”

OMIC’s roles include lobbying governments on the industry’s behalf and hosting seminars designed to aid musicians with everything from accounting to marketing. Kelp Records founder Jon Bartlett, a member of the group’s board of directors, says the city needs a more vibrant live music scene if it expects to convince aspiring local artists to ditch their day jobs and pursue the business full-time.

“Something I talk about a lot with people is just that our average salary (in Ottawa) is really high, so someone who’s like a weekender or part-timer in terms of music is maybe not as motivated or driven to quit that cushy job and put themselves out there and try to do music full-time, as opposed to their counterpart in Montreal who might be working at a cafe,” he says.

To that end, the new strategy also calls for the city to look at converting municipally owned space in the downtown core into a “high-quality” live music venue with room for about 1,000 people.

The lack of such a mid-sized concert hall right now is “an obstacle for Ottawa’s growth as a music city,” says a city staff report, which suggests that funding it through a public-private partnership could reduce the burden on taxpayers.

Ives-Allison says she’s hopeful the city is “getting closer” to creating such a venue.

“I think the challenge is trying to figure out how to make that work viably without it becoming a traditional theatre, without having to rely too heavily on alcohol sales and having it work for a local audience,” she says.

“We’re probably a few years out from seeing something like that, but I think especially as the LRT opens up new areas of the city to urbanization and makes it a little bit easier to get around, there’s going to be some new possibilities that open up there – things that we haven’t even thought of yet.”

Leiper, however, isn’t convinced the public appetite for such a facility exists yet.

“It is going to be up to the private sector to build that venue when we’re ready,” he says. “I think that means a lot more people have to be going to shows more regularly.”

But City Hall can help, he adds, by hosting local musicians, promoting performances online and in social media and doing more to raise the profile of the industry as a whole.

“I think there is a role for the city to play in just helping grow awareness about Ottawa’s music industry and encouraging people to go to shows.”

http://www.obj.ca/index.php/article/...th-backers-say

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Ottawa music strategy a sound plan for economic growth, backers say
Council gives go-ahead to three-year blueprint for boosting music-related businesses

By: David Sali, OBJ
Published: Apr 11, 2018 12:10pm EDT

Music City, Canada?

(snip)

Seemingly small changes such as implementing special loading zones for musicians unpacking their equipment, for example, would go a long way to help making musicians and the businesses that cater to the industry feel like they’re a more integral part of the city’s economy, she says.

“It’s those little things that seem otherwise inconsequential that are in fact the most important,” says Ives-Allison, whose organization now has more than 180 members.

“These loading zones can really make the difference between whether a music venue remains viable or not. If vans can’t load into a venue, if they can’t find parking, if they can’t access the venue and get their gear in, they’re not going to be able to play. And if they can’t play, those venues can’t stay open. And that’s a huge blow for our music community.”

(snip)

http://www.obj.ca/index.php/article/...th-backers-say
Local pro musician here. Yes, loading zones would be great, where practical. They built one into Elgin St. outside the NAC for those of us that have shows at the Fourth Stage. Previously we had to actually drive onto the sidewalk along there to get to the stage door!

I used to have a house gig at what is now Cafe Dekcuf, which is on Rideau St. and the curb lane is/was buses-only. Loading in was usually around 8:30 or so, when the bus frequency had greatly dropped off. So if you were lucky you'd park with 4-way flashers on, run your gear inside (and up to the third floor) then run back out and find somewhere to park. Or you had to pull right up onto the sidewalk, over the high curb.

I was lucky, I only got one ticket in three years. The ticketing officer confirmed that the fine for parking in the bus lane was cheaper than the fine for being on the sidewalk. He even had a modicum of sympathy, which is maybe why I didn't get any further tickets. (And don't forget, we had to do this routine twice per night.)

Barrymore's (when it still had live music) has laneway access to their back stage door, but it's also up one flight, and they never kept the metal staircase clear in winter.

I think the biggest challenge is that there are already quite a few designated loading zones in the City, and people just use them as regular parking spaces. If those can't be kept clear then don't bother trying to create new ones.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post

Barrymore's (when it still had live music) has laneway access to their back stage door, but it's also up one flight, and they never kept the metal staircase clear in winter.
I have a vague recollection of a known musician getting pretty badly hurt on that staircase...

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
I have a vague recollection of a known musician getting pretty badly hurt on that staircase...
I don't doubt it.

There's also a lifting ramp beside those stairs, but it's been out of service for a very long time (I first played there in '94, and it was unusable then). In the good/bad old days when keyboard players had a Hammond organ, they'd use that lift. When we were faced with moving a Hammond up those stairs back in the late 90s our organist said nevermind and used a digital clone.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 1:09 PM

I did a little write up with my thoughts on the Ottawa Music Strategy and the industry in general. http://www.shiftermagazine.com/music...music-strategy

The Ottawa Music Industry Coalition AGM is Monday, April 30 at 6pm and it's open to the public. http://ottawamic.com/event/omic-annual-general-meeting/

Last edited by kevinbottawa; Apr 23, 2018 at 12:22 PM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 8:19 PM

I created an Ottawa hip-hop and R&B spotify playlist to help build awareness on the local hip-hop and R&B scene. We have some world class urban music being made in the city and not many people know about it. I'm as excited about the music scene as the urban growth happening in the city.

If you have some time, check it out. Feel free to follow and share if you like what you hear. https://open.spotify.com/user/3fg0p4...QZikwIMrdMudcQ

I also did a segment on CBC Radio the other day about the urban music scene and I'll be hosting my first show at ppl nightclub in a few weeks featuring a local artist. If you're interested in either I can share.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 11:44 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Renovations to Bronson Centre could answer Ottawa music fans’ prayers

By: David Sali
Published: Apr 18, 2019 4:14pm EDT

The Bronson Centre is teaming up with the owners of a Toronto concert hall in a bid to turn the non-profit Ottawa corporation’s downtown theatre space into a must-visit venue for touring music acts.

Toronto’s Phoenix Concert Theatre said this week it has signed a long-term lease to manage the Bronson Centre’s 864-seat performance theatre. The company said it plans to install the latest in sound and lighting technology and renovate the washrooms and change rooms at the aging concert hall in an effort to make it a go-to destination for more live acts.

The new operators, who will take over the facility on Oct. 1, also plan to replace the permanent seats in the concert hall with removable seating to boost standing-room capacity. Other upgrades include installing air conditioning to make the venue more attractive as a summer concert site.

“We come in with a focus to make sure it’s a great concert experience, both for the fans and the artists themselves,” said Phoenix Concert Theatre president Lisa Zbitnew, a former Ottawa resident.

“It’s a great theatre as it exists, but it definitely needs some upgrades.”

The concert hall is located in the 45,000-square-foot former home of Immaculata High School, which was built in 1928 and was expanded several times. The school moved to Main Street in 1994, and the Bronson Centre was established at the site two years later.

The charity organization, which bought the building on Bronson Avenue from the Grey Sisters of the Immaculate Conception two years ago, currently provides affordable office space for about 40 permanent tenants that are also non-profit agencies. It generates most of its revenues from renting out the performance theatre as well as a 250-seat community hall and various meeting rooms and rehearsal spaces.

Bronson Centre executive director Corey Mayville said the new partnership will help the facility boost its revenues while raising its profile in the community. He said the agency’s mandate to keep rents affordable means it’s constantly looking for ways to generate more income, and the additional publicity that big-name music acts will create is bound to help.

“When the owners of the Phoenix group were interested in us, it really just got us excited and made a lot of sense,” he said.

The new deal could also be a boon to Ottawa’s fledgling “music city” strategy that aims to grow the capital’s artistic industries.

Music industry insiders have long complained about the lack of a modern mid-sized live music venue in the downtown core, and Zbitnew agrees Ottawa suffers from a “capacity gap” in concert halls that seat between 500 and 2,500 people.

She hopes her organization’s planned renovations to the Bronson Centre will turn the facility into a “viable option” for more touring artists, adding her goal is to raise the number of annual performances at the site from the current average of about 50 to more than 100.

“There’s a lot of opportunities for artists to play,” Zbitnew said. “They just need places to perform. It’s a great business opportunity, I think. It might take some time, but Ottawa is a growing market. It’s a significant market that I think a lot of people wrote off for a lot of years as a sleepy government town, but it’s not that any longer.”

Under the agreement, concert promotion agency Collective Concerts will take on the task of booking acts for the theatre, freeing up Mayville and his small administrative staff of four to focus on serving the Bronson Centre’s non-profit clients.

Mayville said the arrangement will help the organization stay viable for the long haul.

“There’s a lot of upkeep,” he said. “That is always a challenge, so with this raised profile and these increased revenues, it’s really going to help us continue to do what we’re doing for many, many years to come.”

Zbitnew said hopes the agreement paves the way for more partnerships between traditional businesses and social enterprises like the Bronson Centre.

“This is a building that I think a lot of people drive by it and still think it’s a Catholic school and don’t really realize the significance of the work that they do,” she explained. “You have to know that there are other buildings, other facilities, other opportunities where these kind of efforts can be (launched) and networked in a positive way.”

https://obj.ca/article/renovations-b...c-fans-prayers

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 1:33 AM

I hope they improve that godawful sign and put some nice lighting on the exterior. It could be a handsome building with a tiny bit of makeup.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 1:42 AM

I didn't know there was a performance space in the "Bronson Centre" (I don't even know what the building is). What's the story? Any pics of the interior?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I didn't know there was a performance space in the "Bronson Centre" (I don't even know what the building is). What's the story? Any pics of the interior?
I don't have any pictures but it's a typical High School theatre; there are a few schools with actual theatres in Ottawa. The theatre and the common areas are very grungy and old school (get it? old school? get it?!) in their current form.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Here are a few I found.

I went to a show there late last year. It's a pretty good venue.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 9:15 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Unless a buyer steps up, Rainbow Bistro in the ByWard Market to close after 37 years

Lynn Saxberg, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Sep 07, 2021 • 28 minutes ago • 3 minute read

The Rainbow Bistro, a live-music landmark in the ByWard Market area for close to 40 years, will close at the end of the month unless a buyer comes forward.

Owner Danny Sivyer said he’s running out of money, and doesn’t see the situation getting any better so long as physical-distancing advice limits the capacity to just 40 people. The second-floor bar at the corner of Murray Street and Parent Avenue was licensed for 148 people before the pandemic.

“We were hoping for a reopening this fall but we’re only allowed 40 people, and 40 people just doesn’t do it for paying bands and sound men and doormen and everything else,” the 67-year-old Sivyer said in an interview. “I just can’t keep shovelling out the dough.”

Although the bar was eligible for the federal government’s rent-relief program and had secured loans and grants to weather the pandemic, Sivyer said he didn’t see the business getting through another winter.

“We thought (the pandemic) would be over by fall, and it would be like the Roaring Twenties. We’d make some money and pay back the government. But not with 40 people,” he said. “And now the fourth wave is coming.”

He saw the effect of the reduced-capacity regulations during the handful of shows that were permitted last year. “People weren’t allowed to dance or stand up,” he recalled. “We had signs that said, ‘Please dance only in your mind.’ It’s fun to be there when it’s packed and the band is roaring and the dance floor is full. But when you have 40 people spread out quietly watching a band, it’s kind of sad. It wasn’t the Rainbow.”

Thirty-seven years ago this November, Sivyer and a friend, the late Ronnie Knowles, opened the Rainbow, determined to bring live music back to Ottawa in the dying days of disco. Knowles, who had lived in New Orleans, had contacts in that city’s music scene, and blues quickly became the bar’s focus, starting with a show by the acoustic blues master, John Hammond Jr.

Many blues legends performed at the Rainbow in the early years, including Albert King, Albert Collins, Koko Taylor, the Fabulous Thunderbirds, Matt Guitar Murphy and more. Several Canadian acts on their way up were also showcased, including The Tragically Hip, Blue Rodeo, Jeff Healey, Colin James and k.d. lang, who famously wore a wedding dress and brought hay bales to decorate the stage.

One of Sivyer’s fondest memories is the time Dan Aykroyd and Jim Belushi visited the club, and played an impromptu set. Their band, The Blues Brothers, was in town for a concert at the National Arts Centre, and Sivyer figured they were staying at the Château Laurier. He faxed the hotel to invite them to the bar.

“The next thing we knew, all these motorcycles rolled up outside, and all these bikers came in the door, creating a phalanx around Jim, Dan and Matt Guitar Murphy. So I said, are you guys going to play or what?’”

Over the years, the club turned into a family business, with daughter Stacie, son Jesse and various friends of theirs working at the bar to put themselves through university. In recent years, Stacie took over much of the booking.

Sivyer, who’s also a realtor, said he used to draw a salary of $19,000 a year from the business but stopped taking it in 2001 when the bar hit a rough patch after the introduction of the no-smoking bylaw in Ottawa. He hasn’t paid himself since.

In the coming weeks, Sivyer hopes to sell the sound gear and lighting equipment. If a buyer for the establishment comes forward, too, even better.

“If they want to make me an offer that lets me clear my debts to the government after all these loans, that would be nice,” he said. “It would be nice to walk away without owing money.”

lsaxberg@postmedia.com

https://ottawacitizen.com/entertainm...after-37-years

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 5:35 AM

Quote:
[B]Unless a buyer steps up, Rainbow Bistro in the ByWard Market to close after 37 years

One of Sivyer’s fondest memories is the time Dan Aykroyd and Jim Belushi visited the club, and played an impromptu set. Their band, The Blues Brothers, was in town for a concert at the National Arts Centre, and Sivyer figured they were staying at the Château Laurier. He faxed the hotel to invite them to the bar.

“The next thing we knew, all these motorcycles rolled up outside, and all these bikers came in the door, creating a phalanx around Jim, Dan and Matt Guitar Murphy. So I said, are you guys going to play or what?’

https://ottawacitizen.com/entertainm...after-37-years
I was playing drums with the Jivewires at the Rainbow that evening, and it was a packed Saturday night.

We'd heard that Dan and Jim were in town and that they just might drop by. And they did! I remember our frontman Steve leaning down from the stage to talk to Jim, and then pulled back up the mic to say "some guy named Jim says his friend Dan plays harmonica and can they get up to jam?" Well, the place went nuts, and then Dan and Jim and Matt "Guitar" Murphy jumped on stage, and with our band's horn section valiantly figuring out lines as fast as they could, we played through a bunch of Blues Brothers classics. That was one of the best nights of my musical life.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 11:41 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Rainbow Bistro to live on through at least the end of 2021
Local corporate leaders to keep venue open until end of 2021, and potentially longer

Sandra Abma · CBC News
Posted: Sep 22, 2021 4:30 PM ET | Last Updated: September 22

The band will play on at the Rainbow Bistro, at least until the end of the year.

Some local business leaders have thrown the venerable music hall in Ottawa's ByWard Market a lifeline to help keep live music going for the next three months.

Kevin Ford, the music-loving CEO of consulting firm the Calian Group and part-time guitarist, says he was kept up at night thinking about the Rainbow closing due to losses during the pandemic.

"The Rainbow is one of our last legacy bars," said Ford, who recalls both jamming on the stage and taking in numerous shows.

"I just think at some point as citizens, as corporate leaders, we need to take a look at this and hopefully stop these clubs closing, for the sake of both those who enjoy music and also playing music."

Ford and a network of business colleagues have agreed to cover shortfalls and pay for extra costs to keep the doors open until the end of 2021.

John Jastremski from MDS Aero Support and Cyril Leeder, the former president of the Ottawa Senators, are two other music fans who have pitched in support.

"It's not a silver bullet," said Ford, "but we didn't want to let it get to die on the vine without giving it a shot to reach out to the audience and look at options for longer term support."

Owner Danny Sivyer had already said emotional goodbyes to many long-time regulars who turned up last weekend to hear local bluesman Tony D. perform on the Rainbow stage one last time.

Sivyer reluctantly closed the doors on Sept. 19 marking an end to 37 years in business after he lost money from repeated lockdowns and strict audience limits imposed during the pandemic.

Sivyer says he received hundreds of messages of thanks and memories from patrons, then he was surprised to find an email from Ford offering a helping hand.

The two had never met before, but when they sat down together they recognized they were kindred spirits dedicated to saving live music.

"I was overwhelmed and humbled by the offer," said Sivyer as he fought tears.

"I mean, to me, this has always just been a little hole in the wall music club and apparently to a lot of people, it's a lot more than that."

Ford says the group is offering more than a financial reprieve as they hope to provide business advice that could help the Rainbow survive the uncertainties of the pandemic, plus welcome a full house of music lovers once again.

Siyver says live music could be return to the stage by the first weekend in October.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...tawa-1.6185319

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 4:36 PM
inner city

Great feel good story! I hope somehow The Rainbow is around long after the end of 2021 and this pandemic is just a brief blip in the history book.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 6:07 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Rainbow Bistro gets $50,000 from business community

By: OBJ staff
Published: Nov 22, 2021 10:00am EST

The Rainbow Bistro has been thrown a $50,000 lifeline by some blues-loving business executives.

The venerable blues venue has struggled to keep its doors open through the pandemic, as lockdowns kept music fans away and the virus’ persistent presences deters people from heading downtown. The money is meant to help bridge the gap until attendance increases.

“We are not prepared to sit idle as yet another live music venue closed in Ottawa,” says Kevin Ford, CEO of Calian Group and amateur rock guitarist in local bands for many decades. “A city is more than homes and businesses. It’s about music and the arts, restaurants and a vibrant nightlife. These are essential parts of the city that all contribute to our quality of life.”

The group that banded together to raise the money called itself the Rainbow Bistro Business Amplifiers, and included Ford, Jim Harmon (Boyden), John Jastremski (MDS Aero) and Cyril Leeder (Myers). Jamie Kwong of the Ottawa Music Industry Coalition is advising the group.

“I am totally overwhelmed by the interest these CEOs have shown in helping the Rainbow stay open,” says Sivyer. “They don't just talk the talk, they walk the walk as demonstrated in their goal of raising immediate funds to help the Rainbow pay bills for many months to come.”

Sivyer says the CEOs have tapped into their own contacts to raise the money and also provided valuable business advice.

The corporate donations come as the Rainbow Bistro prepares to celebrate its 37th anniversary with concerts by award-winning Canadian bluesman David Gogo on Friday, Nov. 26 and Saturday, Nov. 27. Tickets are available at www.ticketweb.ca.

Despite hitting the corporate donation goal, the business group has more plans, including helping the Rainbow Bistro update its website and launching a crowdfunding campaign in early 2022 and examining the business model of the Rainbow Bistro to provide a more stable financial foundation for the venerable live music venue.

https://www.obj.ca/article/local/rai...ness-community

Old Posted Feb 22, 2022, 5:53 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Red Bird Live ready to fly as Ottawa’s newest music venue
Pandemic-related job loss leads Geoff Cass to launch new licensed hangout for live music

By: Caroline Phillips, OBJ
Published: Feb 18, 2022 1:43pm EST

After many months of fine-tuning, Ottawa’s newest live music venue is finally ready to drop.

“We’re hoping Tuesday,” Geoff Cass, owner of Red Bird Live, said in an interview at his business located on Bank Street in Old Ottawa South.

The place could double as a comfy living room with its soft loveseats, Persian-style rugs, funky light fixture and surrounding walls painted in velvety deep shades of tucson teal and royal purple. Its centrepiece is a large stage equipped with top-of-the-line sound and lighting systems from Ottawa Special Events.

“I just can’t wait to open the doors, to tell you the truth,” said Cass enthusiastically.

Red Bird Live has three revenue streams. Along with the live music venue, there are five small teaching rooms for private or semi-private music lessons in piano, guitar, drums, voice and other instruments.

As well, the new centre has its own licensed café, spruced up with photographic art by award-winning Andrew Wright from his Tree Corrections series. The café has partnered with Almonte-based Equator Coffee.

“Our challenge for the next little while will be to establish ourselves as a music venue that also has drinks, as opposed to a bar that has music,” said Cass, whose plans include open-stage nights, jam sessions, family-friendly gatherings and evening shows featuring performances by folk and Americana artists.

There will be an emphasis on local bands as well as attracting touring artists to Red Bird Live for more intimate shows.

“We’re obviously not going to be booking punk bands; we’ll leave that to House of TARG,” he remarked of the alternative live music venue just up the road.

Cass has hired close to 20 part-time staff from the music industry.

“One of my goals was to give musicians a place to spend as much time as they want teaching, playing, working and creating an income for themselves that allows them to pursue their music. That’s really important to me because, over the pandemic, they’ve lost all of that. I want them to have a landing spot here.”

The 45-year-old married father of twins said he was on the receiving end of “tons of support” from the community when it came to turning what was formerly an axe- and knife-throwing venue into Red Bird Live. Friends and neighbours from Old Ottawa East and Old Ottawa South, as well as Wellington Village and other areas, got involved.

“The support was unbelievable,” he said. “I’m really very fortunate for sure.

“I don’t know how we’re going to fit everybody in for our volunteer night. There have been so many people out painting, assembling furniture, building walls. It’s been unreal, it’s been really great, and the excitement is amazing.”

Cass has one volunteer named Scott who learned about the Red Bird Live project on Facebook. “He has been here just about every single day, installing ceiling tiles, insulating walls, building the stage. He’s retired, and he wants to be a part of this. Sometimes he’s here before I am, just working away.”

Cass got the idea for Red Bird Live after COVID-19 hit in 2020, wreaking havoc on his career. He had worked for eight-plus years as a director at Dovercourt Recreation Centre and ran the Bluesfest School of Music and Arts, both of which were affected by the pandemic.

“When one door closes, another one opens,” said Cass, who also plays guitar and sings in the local folk and alt-country band Gentlemen of the Woods. “I had always dreamed of Ottawa having a place like this because it’s so badly needed.”

Cass said his intention is to “complement the music scene” and not compete with other venues. His new business has a strong environmentally friendly focus, from compostable everything to chemical-free commercially graded cleaning solutions.

Erin Benjamin, president and CEO of the Canadian Live Music Association, views Red Bird Live as more than a new live music venue.

“It’s a clear indicator that this sector, all but eviscerated for the last two years, can and will come back,” Benjamin, who’s also a board member with the Ottawa Board of Trade and Ottawa Film Commission, told OBJ.

“Geoff Cass is helping to lead what I predict will be an electrifying resurgence of live music activity across Ottawa and around the globe, because he knows what many of us do – music brings us together. Let’s face it, we’ve never needed that more than we do today.”

Launching Red Bird Live has not been without its headaches.

First, there was the financial risk. Cass borrowed money through the Canadian Small Business Financing Loan. Then, there were the delays and the unexpected. Because Cass wanted to increase his maximum crowd capacity from 30 to 100, he needed to upgrade the HVAC, electrical and plumbing systems in his new space.

“I’ve never worked so hard in my life for so long,” Cass acknowledged, comparing the experience of opening his business to a stressful home renovation. “The worst thing you can ask anybody is, ‘How is your renovation going?’ because it’s never going well and there’s always this, that and the other thing.

“That was really hard, throughout the summer, when everyone was going, ‘How’s it going? How’s it going?’ and I was trying to stay positive,” said Cass, who credited his wife, Nicole, for keeping him focused and on track.

“I don’t know where I’d be without her. There have been challenges, for sure, but seeing it now is just really exciting. I know the community is super behind it and ready to roll.”

https://www.obj.ca/article/local/spo...st-music-venue

Old Posted Feb 22, 2022, 9:44 PM

Geoff Cass is a great guy, and this is a very interesting business model. I really hope this works out - I think it will.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation