HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 7:31 PM

Bay Area most racially segregated in recent history

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...d-13902101.php

https://haasinstitute.berkeley.edu/r...ay-area-part-2

"Whites make up a majority of the eastern Bay Area counties, and are a majority of Napa, Marin and Sonoma counties. Even in diverse counties like Contra Costa and Alameda, whites are a majority in cities such as Walnut Creek, Concord, Lafayette, Moraga, Pleasant Hill, Martinez, Berkeley, Pleasanton, and Livermore.

Cities with the highest proportion of whites in the Bay Area are Belvedere (87.6 percent), Sausalito (84.9 percent), Mill Valley (83.4 percent), Sebastopol (83.2 percent) and Yountville (82.2 percent), and the cities with the highest proportion of Asian Americans relative to their population in their respective county are:

Alameda County (30.0 percent): Piedmont (70.3 percent)

Contra Costa County (16.7 percent): Lafayette (76.7 percent)

Marin County (6.0 percent): Belvedere (87.6 percent)

Napa County (8.0 percent): Yountville (82.2 percent)

San Mateo County (28.2 percent): San Carlos (69.8 percent)

Santa Clara County (36.3 percent): Monte Sereno (76.6 percent)

Solano County (15.6 percent): Rio Vista (76.7 percent)

Sonoma County (4.0 percent): Sebastopol (83.2 percent)"

Last edited by James Bond Agent 007; May 30, 2019 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Images edited out and links provided instead. Images WAY too big.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 8:21 PM

Is the image big enough?

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 9:23 PM
BANNED

As a former long time (San Francisco and Oakland) resident of the Bay Area, this comes as no surprise. Statistics aside, the entire metro felt overwhelmingly White and Asian. A few Hispanics in the Mission and San Jose and an inconsequential sprinkling of Blacks in the Tenderloin, E. Palo Alto and certain parts of Oakland that weren't being rapidly gentrified.

The irony is that in my conversations, many locals considered the entire area to be some sort of diverse, cultural melting pot - my observations and experiences couldn't differ more starkly from that description.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 9:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
Is the image big enough?
Exactly. The OP should either edit the post or post separately with a smaller image.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 9:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...d-13902101.php

"Whites make up a majority of the eastern Bay Area counties, and are a majority of Napa, Marin and Sonoma counties. Even in diverse counties like Contra Costa and Alameda, whites are a majority in cities such as Walnut Creek, Concord, Lafayette, Moraga, Pleasant Hill, Martinez, Berkeley, Pleasanton, and Livermore.

Cities with the highest proportion of whites in the Bay Area are Belvedere (87.6 percent), Sausalito (84.9 percent), Mill Valley (83.4 percent), Sebastopol (83.2 percent) and Yountville (82.2 percent), and the cities with the highest proportion of Asian Americans relative to their population in their respective county are:

These graphics are too small to read. Can you blow them up a bit.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 10:30 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
As a former long time (San Francisco and Oakland) resident of the Bay Area, this comes as no surprise. Statistics aside, the entire metro felt overwhelmingly White and Asian. A few Hispanics in the Mission and San Jose and an inconsequential sprinkling of Blacks in the Tenderloin, E. Palo Alto and certain parts of Oakland that weren't being rapidly gentrified.

The irony is that in my conversations, many locals considered the entire area to be some sort of diverse, cultural melting pot - my observations and experiences couldn't differ more starkly from that description.
You must've not gotten out very much, if you as a supposed former Bay Area resident, claim it isn't diverse. Or maybe you lived there in the 1950s?

Did you look at the graphs? It shows that yes, African American population is declining, but so is the white population. The Asian American and Latino population are growing substantially. In fact, Latinos now comprise nearly 25% of the regional population. Alameda, Contra Costa, Napa, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano, and Sonoma counties all have Latino populations around 25% or higher. Not exactly a "few Hispanics in the Mission" like you claim.

Also, Asia is comprised of many different countries, so while you may think an area that is "overwhelmingly Asian" lacks diversity, that simply is not the case. There are many Indian, Filipino, Vietnamese, Korean, and Japanese people in the Bay Area. It's not just Chinese people, and even then, Chinese culture, is extremely diverse.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 10:41 PM

First world problems in regards to this specific context.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 10:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
You must've not gotten out very much, if you as a supposed former Bay Area resident, claim it isn't diverse. Or maybe you lived there in the 1950s?

Did you look at the graphs? It shows that yes, African American population is declining, but so is the white population. The Asian American and Latino population are growing substantially. In fact, Latinos now comprise nearly 25% of the regional population. Alameda, Contra Costa, Napa, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano, and Sonoma counties all have Latino populations around 25% or higher. Not exactly a "few Hispanics in the Mission" like you claim.

Also, Asia is comprised of many different countries, so while you may think an area that is "overwhelmingly Asian" lacks diversity, that simply is not the case. There are many Indian, Filipino, Vietnamese, Korean, and Japanese people in the Bay Area. It's not just Chinese people, and even then, Chinese culture, is extremely diverse.

I see you're in the Bay Area. What's your ethnicity? Because if it's what I think it is, your perspective validates the last sentence in my previous post (clueless naiveté re: the Bay Area's status as some sort of diverse cultural melting pot). I guess the stats provided by the OP are false, too - right?

And the "overwhelmingly (White) and Asian" I was referring to (again, based on *my* Bay Area experience, interactions and observations) = Chinese and Indian. You blatantly implied that by "Asian", I was exclusively referring to Chinese, although I never stated that. But thanks for the tutorial.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 10:54 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
I see you're in the Bay Area. What's your ethnicity? Because if it's what I think it is, your perspective validates the last sentence in my previous post (clueless naiveté re: the Bay Area's status as some sort of diverse cultural melting pot). I guess the stats provided by the OP are false, too - right?

And the "overwhelmingly (White) and Asian" I was referring to (again, based on *my* Bay Area experience, interactions and observations = Chinese and Indian. But thanks for the tutorial.
Sorry, but the only clueless person here is you.

The numbers I provided are actually from the links provided by the OP. Try reading them.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 11:25 PM
DENNAB

That makes sense, diversity for the sake of it is dumb and kind of a failure. I'm not saying that's how it should be but most humans have a deep sense of tribalism and little interest in being too close or friendly to people different than them. Not everyone is like this but a lot are.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 11:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Sorry, but the only clueless person here is you.

The numbers I provided are actually from the links provided by the OP. Try reading them.
Also "actually provided by the OP":

Whites make up a majority of the eastern Bay Area counties, and are a majority of Napa, Marin and Sonoma counties. Even in diverse counties like Contra Costa and Alameda, whites are a majority in cities such as Walnut Creek, Concord, Lafayette, Moraga, Pleasant Hill, Martinez, Berkeley, Pleasanton, and Livermore.

If those ^ stats and statements re: the ethnic makeup of the Bay Area somehow paint a picture of "diversity" to you, you are the epitome of the delusional residents to which I initially referred. And oh, BTW, electing not to answer the question in my previous post only serves to further validate my position.

Last edited by JAYNYC; May 30, 2019 at 11:48 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 12:37 AM

Ah, the old diversity game people on here love to brag about.

If I told you that a city was:

65% white
16% hispanic
13% black
5% asian

Would you think this was a diverse city? Well, this is about what America looks like, this would be incredibly diverse to me. However, among many people on this site, this would be *SOOOOO white*. Their idea of diversity is:

10% white
30% hispanic
30% black
30% asian

or...something along those lines. I am exaggerating of course, but still.

What is diversity? At what level do we consider something diverse or not? My city of Norfolk is nearly 50/50 white and black. I consider this diverse. Do we need to add in some hispanic or asian folks to create actual diversity? Or is two groups, roughly at the same level, considered diversity?

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 1:04 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Also "actually provided by the OP":

Whites make up a majority of the eastern Bay Area counties, and are a majority of Napa, Marin and Sonoma counties. Even in diverse counties like Contra Costa and Alameda, whites are a majority in cities such as Walnut Creek, Concord, Lafayette, Moraga, Pleasant Hill, Martinez, Berkeley, Pleasanton, and Livermore.

If those ^ stats and statements re: the ethnic makeup of the Bay Area somehow paint a picture of "diversity" to you, you are the epitome of the delusional residents to which I initially referred. And oh, BTW, electing not to answer the question in my previous post only serves to further validate my position.
You clearly lack any reading comprehension. Just because there are small towns within the Bay Area that have a lot of white people, doesn't mean that "the ethnic makeup of the Bay Area" lacks diversity.

From the article: "The white population of the Bay Area was under 4 million as of the 2010 census, at just above 40 percent of the population. The proportion of whites living in the Bay Area has declined in both absolute and relative numbers in recent decades, although the direction has been uneven."

By comparison, NY metro is 51% white. According to your logic, if the Bay Area is "overwhelmingly white", then does that make NY catastrophically white? Aneurysm-inducingly white?

The data shows that the Bay Area is 42% white, 24% Latino, 24% Asian American, 6% African American. I'm sorry you've failed math.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 1:26 AM
BANNED

This is surprising how? Show me a white liberal who actually lives among minorities and practices what they preach and I'll give you 100 bucks.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 2:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthisgone View Post
This is surprising how? Show me a white liberal who actually lives among minorities and practices what they preach and I'll give you 100 bucks.
Holy sh*t! SOMEBODY gets it!!!

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 2:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
You clearly lack any reading comprehension. Just because there are small towns within the Bay Area that have a lot of white people, doesn't mean that "the ethnic makeup of the Bay Area" lacks diversity.

From the article: "The white population of the Bay Area was under 4 million as of the 2010 census, at just above 40 percent of the population. The proportion of whites living in the Bay Area has declined in both absolute and relative numbers in recent decades, although the direction has been uneven."

By comparison, NY metro is 51% white. According to your logic, if the Bay Area is "overwhelmingly white", then does that make NY catastrophically white? Aneurysm-inducingly white?

The data shows that the Bay Area is 42% white, 24% Latino, 24% Asian American, 6% African American. I'm sorry you've failed math.

Sure thing, dude.

The Bay Area isn't overwhelmingly White and Asian, and the data that says it is is pure fiction.

In actuality, everyone knows the Bay Area is the Western world's undisputed diverse ethnic melting pot and a grand mecca of multicultural lifestyle.

I mean, you surely have that one Black friend who says so, right?

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 3:22 AM

Is a place diverse if its 20% white, 40% hispanic, 40% asian and 0% black?

I feel like the "diversity games" puts more emphasis on certain races. It usually runs something like black>hispanic>asian>white.

Its weird to me and I honestly don't get it(like I don't actually get it, not trying to make a point). I don't even get the quest for diversity, Tokyo is one of the best spots on Earth, yet has nearly zero diversity. I've lived as a minority in Japan and San Antonio. I've lived in a small town in Arkansas of 7,000 people which was about 90% white. I've lived in black neighborhoods and currently in a near-evenly split city between blacks and whites. My experience in America has pretty much been the same.

The big difference for me has been urbanity. Otherwise, its all the same crap.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 3:53 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Is a place diverse if its 20% white, 40% hispanic, 40% asian and 0% black?
Is Compton comprised primarily of Mormon residents?

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthisgone View Post

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 4:27 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post

What is diversity? At what level do we consider something diverse or not? My city of Norfolk is nearly 50/50 white and black. I consider this diverse. Do we need to add in some hispanic or asian folks to create actual diversity? Or is two groups, roughly at the same level, considered diversity?
A city with sizable white (American)/black (American)/ Hispanic (predominately Mexican/ Central American and lesser extent South American and the islands) and now Asian (and then here mostly limited to a handful of South and East Asian ethnicities) is not really "diverse", it's a typical cross section of most of big city America. Some cities have more of one group, others less. It's everything else that makes an area diverse. At least to me. This is why Toronto is hailed as being quintessentially diverse because they have people from everywhere there. Probably from other planets too...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions