HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

270 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 2:24 AM
New Yorker for life

October 16, 2018

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 5:08 AM
Crane Goddess

^Nice pics!
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 12:07 AM
New Yorker for life

^ I take pics whenever I'm in the area. It'll be coming down before we know it. But it's looking aged.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 6:00 AM
Crane Goddess

^I still feel sad that we're losing this one, it really is one of the better buildings of the time period. As far as looking aged is concerned, that would be easily remedied- the facade of 1345 6th Avenue looks wonderful, piercing black with shiny pinstripes, and it's only a few years younger. I'm guessing it's had new paint or anodizing applied at some point to keep it looking fresh. I noticed last time I was in town that 299 Park Avenue (its slightly older twin) wasn't looking as fresh, but I've heard Fisher Brothers has plans to remedy that over the next year or so. The same treatment would do wonders for this building, I'm sure.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 12:35 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Holy crowbar, Batman; bring that dog-eared wanker down yesterday.....

Last edited by Prezrezc; Oct 19, 2018 at 5:11 PM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 4:59 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
^I still feel sad that we're losing this one, it really is one of the better buildings of the time period. As far as looking aged is concerned, that would be easily remedied- the facade of 1345 6th Avenue looks wonderful, piercing black with shiny pinstripes, and it's only a few years younger. I'm guessing it's had new paint or anodizing applied at some point to keep it looking fresh. I noticed last time I was in town that 299 Park Avenue (its slightly older twin) wasn't looking as fresh, but I've heard Fisher Brothers has plans to remedy that over the next year or so. The same treatment would do wonders for this building, I'm sure.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 4:47 AM
Crane Goddess

^If all you can do is string a few emoji together instead of anything like an intelligent response, don't even bother responding to me. And Prezrezc, you DO realize that a facade can be fixed, right? Quite a few NYC buildings which have kept their original facades have had periods where they didn't look so fresh, whether it was age, exposure to acid rain, or other maintenance issues. I've seen pics of 30 Rock where its facade was downright grungy looking. And One Liberty Plaza had the paint job on its own facade redone a few years ago. They had to clean off the old paint before applying the new, and for a little while, yes it looked pretty rough. It's gonna take a hell of a lot more than a facade that's due for some fresh paint to make the case that this building deserves to be gone.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 11:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
^If all you can do is string a few emoji together instead of anything like an intelligent response, don't even bother responding to me. And Prezrezc, you DO realize that a facade can be fixed, right? Quite a few NYC buildings which have kept their original facades have had periods where they didn't look so fresh, whether it was age, exposure to acid rain, or other maintenance issues. I've seen pics of 30 Rock where its facade was downright grungy looking. And One Liberty Plaza had the paint job on its own facade redone a few years ago. They had to clean off the old paint before applying the new, and for a little while, yes it looked pretty rough. It's gonna take a hell of a lot more than a facade that's due for some fresh paint to make the case that this building deserves to be gone.
Good answer!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 4:59 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

@Amanita with all due respect;

And that case can be perfectly borne out by nothing more than the fact that the entire rezoning area wherein this "monument" to mid-20th century commerce awaits its justifiable--and, let me be clear: unfortunate--euthanization is in drastic need to be made relevant for modernity.

If JP Morgan strikes a lucrative bargain with the City to "make an example" out of this tower in that manner, that's their right.

And while you bring up the example, 1LP is IMHO a completely apples-to-avocados contrast: Here, you're obviously describing a tower completed much later in 1973, retrofitted in 1989 and therefore perfectly capable of housing modernized businesses, and--on top of that--given an exterior "wash and set" only because of the destructive horror that nearly consumed it along with the rest of the WTC v.1 complex.

You have a valid point, however, that a similar cosmetic overhaul of this tower--and its likely conversion to full resi--is hypothetically/subjunctively within the realm of possibility; but here comes that reality bogeyman rearing its head once again:

What you described in your post above is totally feasible only if this tower--which BTW I have always enjoyed looking at in juxtaposition with its two brothers---were in another part of the city in which the economic need for rezoning were non-existent or at least much less exigent.

Believe me when I tell you with how much sadness I pored over those close up photos above; but that sadness--for me at least--has to be tempered with a certain acceptance of the fact that it was and is the far more important inner functionality of the tower that I had to conclude was beyond salvaging.

I hope that explains my POV.

Last edited by Prezrezc; Oct 20, 2018 at 8:33 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 8:46 PM
Crane Goddess

^For what it's worth, this tower was only overhauled about 6 years ago. From what I've read, they completely gutted and renovated 10 floors at a time, we're not just talking snazzy new office interiors, but a full mechanical replacement and revamp too- all new systems. So for all intents and purposes, it may as well be a new building. There are plenty of shorter, crummier, really lousy little buildings in Midtown east, they are probably the real intended targets of this rezoning. I still feel bad about this one, I wish that all this air rights business didn't make it harder for JP Morgan to sell this building and build their new HQ somewhere close by.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 4:56 AM
Metal Up Your !

Thumbs up

Quote:
^If all you can do is string a few emoji together instead of anything like an intelligent response, don't even bother responding to me.

No but in all seriousness, good riddance. I can't wait for the rest of the soulless boxes make way for attractive architecture.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post

No but in all seriousness, good riddance. I can't wait for the rest of the soulless boxes make way for attractive architecture.
pleeeease don't jinx us. This is a bank we're talking about. JP Morgan Chase might decide that a big, fat, glassy box is the best fit for them.

Previous (original) Chase Architecture:

One Chase Manhattan Plaza by Emilio Guerra, on Flickr

JPMorgan Chase Tower by Jeff Stvan, on Flickr

JP Morgan Chase Building by Bill, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 6:06 AM
Meh

I like the glass boxes. They're a part of your architectural history and heritage, and without getting all mushy about it, I also suspect they'll age about as well as more modern styles will in 30 to 40 years. The only difference is these newer buildings will be visible from farther away.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
pleeeease don't jinx us. This is a bank we're talking about. JP Morgan Chase might decide that a big, fat, glassy box is the best fit for them.

Previous (original) Chase Architecture:

One Chase Manhattan Plaza by Emilio Guerra, on Flickr

JPMorgan Chase Tower by Jeff Stvan, on Flickr

JP Morgan Chase Building by Bill, on Flickr

The same could be said for any major corporation that leased or commissioned towers from the 40's to 80's.

Look at what we got with BofA. Look at what we're getting with 1VB. Times are changing. Yes, JP could go for a bland box, sure. But they may very well go for something spectacular.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 7:13 PM

Is the glass original? A new building would have much improved glass than Union Carbide's old glass curtain . Better configured rest rooms, elevators. Higher ceiling heights. Chance for terraces. Lots of good reasons to replace. I mean how different is this building from Seagram's and several others? OTOH I understand nostalgia. Buuut, I don't think that is enough. Wouldn't be enough to sway me, if I was Jamie Dimon

Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 9:03 PM
Crane Goddess

^If you were Jamie Dimon and you had the opportunity to make a trade of sorts- sell your current building to somebody else who was interested in it, and transfer the air rights to another site close by (perhaps one occupied by a much shorter building that would be a lot faster and cost less to take down), would you go for it?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 12:12 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
^If all you can do is string a few emoji together instead of anything like an intelligent response, don't even bother responding to me.
Yes, no insults please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoM Trespasser View Post
Is the glass original? A new building would have much improved glass than Union Carbide's old glass curtain . Better configured rest rooms, elevators. Higher ceiling heights. Chance for terraces. Lots of good reasons to replace. I mean how different is this building from Seagram's and several others? OTOH I understand nostalgia. Buuut, I don't think that is enough. Wouldn't be enough to sway me, if I was Jamie Dimon
Quote:
^If you were Jamie Dimon and you had the opportunity to make a trade of sorts- sell your current building to somebody else who was interested in it, and transfer the air rights to another site close by (perhaps one occupied by a much shorter building that would be a lot faster and cost less to take down), would you go for it?

It needs a new eveything. But the large footprint enables Chase to nearly double the size of the building and consolidate some of its office space. It's a win-win for Chase. And it's a win for the City, as it battles to rejuvenate and retain it's central business district. With all of the developments active and planned, they're putting the Park Avenue back in Park Avenue.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 12:01 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 12:55 AM
DENNAB

Perfect spot for a 1,200+ foot building to compliment Vanderbilt. I wonder if they'll go even higher

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 5:14 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Yes, no insults please.
I didn't know laughing emojis was considered insulting. Thanks for the heads up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction