HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

270 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
This is a much bigger building than 1 Vanderbilt, a more prominent architect, and being built as a trophy HQ, not a REIT seeking to lease space. This is the world's largest/most important bank.

I would be very surprised if it isn't a more prominent tower than 1 Vanderbilt. I doubt they want a background building (which probably isn't even possible given the size; this will be one of the biggest commercial office buildings on the planet).
They don't have enough to work with here to create a trophy, not that they have any need to flaunt in the first place. The manner in which they're going about this is enough of an attention grabber. They'll make an efficient world headquarters.
2.7M sf isn't much in the grand scheme of things, and this will sit on a MASSIVE plot by Manhattan standards. When they say they're only going to go as much as 500 feet taller, they mean it. It will be around 1200ft to its roof. Foster might concoct a cool facade, but it will likely adorn a dense, pragmatic form. IE a box. If we're lucky he might throw in a crown to make it more interesting. Setbacks or tapering are unlikely to maximize floorspace.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
They don't have enough to work with here to create a trophy, not that they have any need to flaunt in the first place.
This tower is 2.7 million sq ft. One Vanderbilt is 1.6 million sq ft.

Central Park Tower, btw, is around 1 million sq ft. Chase could easily build 2,000 ft. if they wanted (not that they will).
Quote:
When they say they're only going to go as much as 500 feet taller, they mean it.
Chase never said this. The 500 ft. estimate was an imputation from the press based on the estimated 70 floor count.

In any case, this has nothing to do with anything. At 1,200 ft. this could be more prominent than 1 Vanderbilt. At 1,800 ft. this could be less prominent. Prominence is due to a variety of factors, not height alone.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 11:37 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
This is a much bigger building than 1 Vanderbilt, a more prominent architect, and being built as a trophy HQ, not a REIT seeking to lease space. This is the world's largest/most important bank.

I would be very surprised if it isn't a more prominent tower than 1 Vanderbilt. I doubt they want a background building (which probably isn't even possible given the size; this will be one of the biggest commercial office buildings on the planet).

I would say that it's very possible it will be more prominent than Vanderbilt. We see how he talked about, and what he did with 425. This will be a more prominent buildong, and Chase is very aware that they're taking down a decent sized building. It won't be replaced with more "filler".

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 12:02 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
It will be around 1200ft to its roof. Foster might concoct a cool facade, but it will likely adorn a dense, pragmatic form. IE a box. If we're lucky he might throw in a crown to make it more interesting. Setbacks or tapering are unlikely to maximize floorspace.
I actually like buildings without any tapering or setbacks (although tapering/setbacks can be cool to sometimes).

They look powerful, like the original WTC.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 12:28 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
sure, but some folks seem to be getting their hopes up for another 1 Vanderbilt. The odds of that seem increasingly dim.
Nobody expects a design similar to 1 Vandy. What I"m saying is that I expect Foster to deliver a signature tower here, like he has at 425. That it will be very tall is a given. It won't be 50 Hudson Yards, a nice design - but in no way was Related going to build a signature tower right next door to it's signature tower of 30 Hudson. Those towers are the same size, but 30 is nearly 300 ft higher.

As far as boxes go, boxes are fine. 425 Park Avenue is basically a box, but one with exceptional design. They could have gone with a number of firms to design this tower. But they chose Foster, that alone making a statement. I would be shocked if we saw basically a larger version of the current building.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-92z7BrtB9B...Avenue%2B2.jpg

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 1:54 AM
New Yorker for life

Another filing, we're getting closer.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 5:38 AM
Crane Goddess

^Where did you find that?
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 7:10 AM

Ah, the dreaded ULURP, where the community (NIMBY) board gets in their 2 cents. I wonder what dumb demands will they make?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 1:42 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
^Where did you find that?
It's in the City Planning ZAP portal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Ah, the dreaded ULURP, where the community (NIMBY) board gets in their 2 cents. I wonder what dumb demands will they make?
It all depends on the details. Hopefully we'll get an idea, and it's timed nicely with announcement of architect. We could be looking at renders soon.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 3:24 PM
New Yorker for life

One Vanderbilt rising behind 270 Park, and the changing face of Midtown east...(view from 425 Park)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpqOKgGgVjn/

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 5:07 PM
Metal Up Your !

Excitement for the proposal is mounting by the day. Even if the new building isn't groundbreaking, I'm sure anything will be an improvement over these soulless modernism boxes. They are way past their expiration date.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 6:18 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
Excitement for the proposal is mounting by the day. Even if the new building isn't groundbreaking, I'm sure anything will be an improvement over these soulless modernism boxes. They are way past their expiration date.
I think once the new 270 is built, or under construction, there will be more consideration to what can be done with some of those other towers. Chase has changed the game here.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 6:51 PM
New Yorker for life

Regarding Grand Central's air rights, a throwback to the 80's...

Quote:
https://www.nytimes.com/1986/09/17/n...l-station.html

PLAN FOR TOWER USES AIR RIGHTS OF RAIL STATION

By MARTIN GOTTLIEB
SEPT. 17, 1986

A Wall Street investment company has filed plans to build the fourth-tallest building in Manhattan - a 74-story tower that would be a few feet taller than the Chrysler Building - on a Madison Avenue site zoned to accommodate a building less than half the size.

The company, the First Boston Corporation, has requested permission to build the tower - on the east side of the avenue between 46th and 47th Streets - by using 800,000 square feet of what are known as ''development rights'' or ''air rights'' purchased from the owner of Grand Central Terminal, a city landmark.

The proposal has set off a storm in city government. City Planning Department officials rejected an early design for the building and, according to a lawyer for the developer, they are opposing the current application, too.

The space generated by the sale of air rights -larger by far than for any other project - would more than double the permitted size of the First Boston building. Without the air rights, the allowable bulk would be 600,000 square feet.

The issue involves the largest sale of air rights ever. The 800,000 square feet that First Boston would use are part of a 1.5 million-square-foot package the company has arranged to buy from the railroad for an estimated price of $55 a square foot.

The project involves a key city landmark, the hallowed terminal that in 1978 was the object of a United States Supreme Court decision upholding the landmarks law.

The proposed building has won architectural notice. Its design is by Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates, a relatively young architectural firm acclaimed for its work on high-rise buildings.

The building, a tapered tower of 1,080 feet tall, 32 feet higher than the Chrysler Building, would stand out on the skyline in a midtown triad with the Chrysler and Empire State Buildings.

No two floors would be identical. Many would feature 20 different faces, and a host of materials, from granite to painted metal and glass, would be used to differentiate the parts of the building.

However, the tower would be much larger than normally permitted. The city has recently lowered the levels of density on the East Side, in the face of concerns the area was too crowded. The tower would be on a narrow and congested thoroughfare.

Ultimately, 383 Madison, the Bear Sterns headquarters, was built there, and that eventually became property of Chase.

Meanwhile, the construction here will be somewhat similar to the Hudson Yards, where the towers are built over the rails...

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 10:32 PM

Always liked that KPF design, a shame it didn't get built.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 10:35 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
Always liked that KPF design, a shame it didn't get built.
I liked it also. I guess the consolation prize is that some of those air rights will be used here.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 4:35 AM
Crane Goddess

I remember sitting on the front steps of 277 Park and feeling vibration under my feet, like what I'd get on a subway platform. I've seen photos of that building starting to take shape- train tracks run under that one too.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 1:05 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
I remember sitting on the front steps of 277 Park and feeling vibration under my feet, like what I'd get on a subway platform. I've seen photos of that building starting to take shape-
train tracks run under that one too.
Here's the view of the rails when that building was under construction. We should get something similar with 270.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
277 Park

Mike Robbins

Meanwhile, it looks like they're getting closer to certification to begin the ULURP process...

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 2:01 PM
New Yorker for life

I would like to see all of the proposals...

https://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/fost...096413.article

Foster & Partners to replace SOM Manhattan tower

By Dave Rogers
November 2018

Quote:
Foster & Partners has won a competition to design a new headquarters building in New York for US investment bank JP Morgan Chase.

The 70-storey tower will replace a 52-storey Miesian-influenced tower designed by SOM in the 1960s just a few blocks from Mies’ Seagram Building on Park Avenue.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 2:38 PM
BANNED

^ If you wouldn't mind getting me up to speed- Is this the first confirmation we have that the design will be by Foster?

If so, I think that's worth celebrating!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 2:56 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^ If you wouldn't mind getting me up to speed- Is this the first confirmation we have that the design will be by Foster?

If so, I think that's worth celebrating!
No, we've been talking about it. But I've been thinking about the design process and competion. Not much has been said of that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction