HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 11:01 AM

Utah ranks third on CNBC list of top states for business

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...242539,00.html

(photo: Summit Cheese)

#1 Texas
#2 Virginia
#3 Utah
#4 Idaho
#5 Colorado

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 11:14 AM

Wasatch Front - Real growth is eclipsing U.S. census estimates

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...242627,00.html

With an average household size of 4.1 in April 2007, the northwestern Utah County community apparently grew by some 2,700 people during that year.

Yet recent census estimates show Eagle Mountain growing by only 441 people from July 1, 2006, to July 1, 2007.

Eagle Mountain isn't alone in its discrepancy with the U.S. Census Bureau. Utah's population trackers have long contested the census population estimates.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 2:26 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I'm hoping that when they do the 2010 census, that they will take into consideration all the issues that have been raised regarding Utah and its population. If they do a slightly more thorough job in 2010 they may be shocked at the huge increase they state has had, that somehow they have been missing.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 2:13 AM

46th in education?

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Utah ranks third on CNBC list of top states for business

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...242539,00.html

(photo: Summit Cheese)

#1 Texas
#2 Virginia
#3 Utah
#4 Idaho
#5 Colorado

I realize these ranking are gross, at best. But one subcategory in the ranking, education (Utah ranked 46th out of 50) is troubling. If the education ranking is heavily weighted toward spending per pupil, then the ranking does bother me because so few Utah students attend private schools, the spending per pupil in Utah is going to be low.

But if that ranking is a combination of spending per pupil, percentage of high school graduates, ranking on SAT and ACT scores, then the state is headed for long term trouble...big trouble like that that plagues states like Mississippi and Louisiana, which they may never recover from

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 3:41 AM

Census estimates

Quote:

With an average household size of 4.1 in April 2007, the northwestern Utah County community apparently grew by some 2,700 people during that year.

Yet recent census estimates show Eagle Mountain growing by only 441 people from July 1, 2006, to July 1, 2007.

Eagle Mountain isn't alone in its discrepancy with the U.S. Census Bureau. Utah's population trackers have long contested the census population estimates.

Delts: I don't remember who posted the census link, but the link provided some very interesting information. So thanks to whomever it was.

I looked at the estimates for Georgia and saw my hometown grew by almost exactly 25% from 2000 thru 2007, from around 48K to a little over 60K people. I was at a social gathering this evening and was talking with one of the city council members. I mention the pop. data and the councilman told me that was exactly what the city was expecting, based on the number of water hookups et cetera. So at least somewhere the estimates seem to be pretty accurate, even in a high-growth area like ours.

Speaking of growth, Atlanta, per the census estimates, grew by a whopping 20%, most of the growth driven by urban housing. Interestingly, I have read several times in the local press that our giant fish tank, the Georgia Aquarium, directly across from Olympic Park, has spawned so much development downtown that whatever the City's and State's contributions were to building the tank, they have already returned that investment several times over in increased property taxes in the few short years the aquarium has been open. Who would have thought that fish could have such an impact on the local economy?

Maybe Salt Lake could replicate the example...not with saltwater fish, because those creatures don't have much connection to the local environment. But possibly with other strange and wonderful creatures, who are spotted occasionally in the area. Salt Lake could build somewhere downtown a liberarium, where all different sorts of liberals are encased in glass enclosures (where they can't hurt any one) that replicate their natural environments. One tank could be a jazz club, dense with cigarette smoke. Another could be a used book store. Another, a union hall. One could even be what the local Democratic Party Headquarters would look like, if there were a Democratic Party in Utah.

I'm sure the oddity of these creatures and their habitats would attract some visitors, people who would be mesmerized by the sights and sounds of creatures they had only read about but never seen before.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 3:48 AM

Census estimates

Quote:

Delts: I don't remember who posted the census link, but the link provided some very interesting information. So thanks to whomever it was.

I looked at the estimates for Georgia and saw my hometown grew by almost exactly 25% from 2000 thru 2007, from around 48K to a little over 60K people. I was at a social gathering this evening and was talking with one of the city council members. I mention the pop. data and the councilman told me that was exactly what the city was expecting, based on the number of water hookups et cetera. So at least somewhere the estimates seem to be pretty accurate, even in a high-growth area like ours.

Speaking of growth, Atlanta, per the census estimates, grew by a whopping 20%, most of the growth driven by urban housing. Interestingly, I have read several times in the local press that our giant fish tank, the Georgia Aquarium, directly across from Olympic Park, has spawned so much development downtown that whatever the City's and State's contributions were to building the tank, they have already returned that investment several times over in increased property taxes in the few short years the aquarium has been open. Who would have thought that fish could have such an impact on the local economy?

Maybe Salt Lake could replicate the example...not with saltwater fish, because those creatures don't have much connection to the local environment. But possibly with other strange and wonderful creatures, who are spotted occasionally in the area. Salt Lake could build somewhere downtown a liberarium, where all different sorts of liberals are encased in glass enclosures (where they can't hurt any one) that replicate their natural environments. One tank could be a jazz club, dense with cigarette smoke. Another could be a used book store. Another, a union hall. One could even be what the local Democratic Party Headquarters would look like, if there were a Democratic Party in Utah.

I'm sure the oddity of these creatures and their habitats would attract some visitors, people who would be mesmerized by the sights and sounds of creatures they had only read about but never seen before.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 11:45 AM

I agree with you RFPCME, that Downtown Salt Lake would benefit greatly from the development of an exceptional aquarium. We have discussed it at length quite some time ago on this forum. Gateway was touted as the future site of an aquarium, but that situation was grabbed up by Sandy. This was before the RSL Stadium deal, and was kind of the beginning of what led to the build-up in animosity toward Dolan and the Sandy to Curtis connection. Everytime I pass the aquarium on 106th south and 1300 east I get a sense of anger at what a waste that location is. It's basically just a converted, former Smith's grocery store plaza. I will say that the parking lot in front would suggest that it does a pretty good business.

It would help if the area had a Daddy Warbucks to chip in about 100 million toward the project. Basically that why Atlanta now has one of the world's foremost aquariums. My understanding is that Atlanta's local entrepeneur and father of Home Depot donated around that amount to make the aquarium possible.

Right now, I think the big push for big private donation bucks in SLC proper will be going toward the De Vinci Center, and the larger theatre venue. Also a large sum was given by Rio Tinto for the new museum at the U of U. I am also encouraged that Mayor Becker will bring goodwill back toward downtown. Anderson created a very contentious and divisive atmosphere between Salt Lake and many of the other legislatures and their communities in the Metro.

Last edited by delts145; Jul 13, 2008 at 12:00 PM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 12:03 PM

Plan for Cottonwood Heights irks some residents

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...242795,00.html

COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS — A private developer plans to build two hotels and about 2 dozen luxury homes at the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon.
The plan conforms to Cottonwood Heights' long-term goals, but some residents are riled over a requested zoning change that would classify the property as mixed-use rather than commercial.

The change would allow for hotels and housing — not currently allowed — but would rule out things like big-box establishments and liquor stores.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 3:02 PM
Exit 298

That's why I'll always live in lower-income areas. Less NIMBY-ism. <-Cottonwood Heights residents.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 9:41 PM

Acquarium

Quote:
I agree with you RFPCME, that Downtown Salt Lake would benefit greatly from the development of an exceptional aquarium. We have discussed it at length quite some time ago on this forum. Gateway was touted as the future site of an aquarium, but that situation was grabbed up by Sandy. This was before the RSL Stadium deal, and was kind of the beginning of what led to the build-up in animosity toward Dolan and the Sandy to Curtis connection. Everytime I pass the aquarium on 106th south and 1300 east I get a sense of anger at what a waste that location is. It's basically just a converted, former Smith's grocery store plaza. I will say that the parking lot in front would suggest that it does a pretty good business.

It would help if the area had a Daddy Warbucks to chip in about 100 million toward the project. Basically that why Atlanta now has one of the world's foremost aquariums. My understanding is that Atlanta's local entrepeneur and father of Home Depot donated around that amount to make the aquarium possible.

Right now, I think the big push for big private donation bucks in SLC proper will be going toward the De Vinci Center, and the larger theatre venue. Also a large sum was given by Rio Tinto for the new museum at the U of U. I am also encouraged that Mayor Becker will bring goodwill back toward downtown. Anderson created a very contentious and divisive atmosphere between Salt Lake and many of the other legislatures and their communities in the Metro.
Delts: Of course, I was being facetious about the details of the attraction. But somekind of environmentally related attraction in downtown SLC would be wonderful.

An aquarium, although I love them and take every opportunity to visit them, in SLC probably doesn't make sense. Aquariums are expensive. Probably some other attraction, like a science center, is a better bet. But some super interesting, educational exhibit in downtown SLC (like the Georgia Aquarium) would be a development magnet.

You're right. Bernie Marcus, the founder of Home Depot, gave the city $250M to jump start the project. Coca Cola donated the land (9 acres, which is a lot in the middle of an urban center but then proceeded to build the World of Coke right next door after the aquarium took off, so their gift was not altogether altruistic. By the way, you can skip the World of Coke; it's pretty much a yawn.)

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 5:07 AM
BANNED

I've heard talks about a possible water museum some where in or near City Creek Canyon.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 1:31 PM

Hey, maybe Chase will chip in on something spectacular in the near future. Perhaps more of Rio Tinto's billions will provide another project, in addition to the major museum they're donating. I think Huntsman Sr. is pretty well committed to the medical community already. It would seem like the usual suspects like Tanner, Sorenson, Eccles, etc. are already pretty generously committed for the next umpteen years. I'm not sure what's up these day's with the Holdings? One of the reasons I would like to see the oil shale boom, (and I am thinking state-of-the art methods, far superior to Alberta,) is the kind of charitable capital that that kind of bussiness would typically generate for Salt Lake City, "not to mention the kind of towers that it would encourage."

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 1:55 PM

Sandy eyes rec center updates - Alta Canyon center expected to get class and office space

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...242974,00.html

Artist's drawing of renovated Alta Canyon Recreation Center.(Andy Parks and Recreation Department)

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 8:12 PM
Bring out the cranes...

On Top of the World video.
Over looking the salt lake valley

Here is a video of us over looking both the Tooele and Salt Lake valleys. You can see everything from up here....

Downtown salt lake
new daybreak temple
jordan river temple
draper temple
Murry's IHC hospital buildings
Jordan commons
RSL stadium. ect

New video over the weekend.
Video Link
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 6:13 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Saratoga Springs high school?

New Utah County high school gets a name
July 16th, 2008 @ 6:18pm
By Randall Jeppesen

A new high school designed to help out with the population boom west of Utah Lake now has a name.

Simply put, there are a lot of children and teens in Eagle Mountain and Saratoga Springs, and the Alpine School District has been building and building to keep up.

"A lot of elementary [schools] have popped up out there over the last few years," said district spokeswoman Rhonda Bromley.

Bromley says the new Saratoga Springs high school will be called Westlake, and its mascot is "the thunder."

Bromley says the district built the high school proactively. It's the biggest high school building in the district, and it won't be full be when it opens in a year.

District officials made sure to give themselves some extra space as the huge number of elementary school-age children get older.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Last edited by SLC Projects; Jul 17, 2008 at 1:42 AM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 5:37 PM

Station Park ‘unlike anything else in Utah’

"STATION PARK will feature a 15-screen movie theater, as many as 15 major retailers, and a handful of multi-story office buildings.
Shain Gillet 17.JUL.08 Davis County Clipper

FARMINGTON — Officials in Farmington have finally revealed the planned layout for the $200 million Station Park project. The project is the newest mixed use development to be announced in Davis County. Along with the hefty price tag, the 100-acre shopping, dining, and entertainment facility promises to be one of the next biggest attractions in the area.

“I think people are going to really like what they see,” said Farmington Mayor Scott Harbertson. “It’s going to be a nice addition to the city.”

CenterCal, the California-based company that also owns West Jordan’s Jordan Landing, is the leading developer of the project. Information on major tenants has yet to be announced, although one of the biggest attractions will be the 15-screen theater plus a performance park pavilion and two-acre park.

“The area is under-served in retail and restaurant space,” said Craig Trottier, vice president of CenterCal. “However, this will be unlike any other shopping center in the state.”

Farmington City officials took a field trip down to the park-and-ride lot Tuesday evening in order to get a sneak peek at the model that will represent the facility.

Included in the plans will be a main plaza with restaurants and shops on the main levels of 10 buildings. Office space will fill the levels above. A hotel will be placed somewhere along the outer area of the park.

There will be four other buildings on the north side that will include more office and retail space. So far, Harbertson is liking the planned layout of the facility.

“I love the design,” he said. “I love what’s going to be represented there. It’s going to be a great amenity for Farmington.”

Though there have been a few rumors of which major tenants are going to be there, CenterCal has told Harbertson that they cannot release the names of those companies because it is up to the companies to release the information.

“All the stores are purely speculative,” said Harbertson. “We don’t know who’s going to be here, but we know that this will be a good centerpiece to our city.

“But I can say that because of the plans that we’ve seen, potential buyers will like (the plans) enough to want space here. I can’t say enough about how good this place is going to look.”

Trottier hopes that by placing Station Park at the intersection of I-15, U.S. Highway 89 and the soon-to-be Legacy Parkway, it will attract plenty of consumers to the area. It is also a short walk to the newly developed FrontRunner rail stop.

“We average about 6,000 riders on a typical weekday that go through the Farmington stop,” said Carrie Bohnsack-Ware, spokesperson for Utah Transit Authority at the unveiling event. “The number of potential shoppers that we’ll bring to the area will serve the community of Farmington well.”

There is a double-wide trailer already at the site that will serve as Station Park’s leasing office. A groundbreaking ceremony is set for Aug. 13.

According to the developer, the completion date for the park is set for sometime around spring 2010."

Here is a link to the CenterCal website that contains PDF's of the site plan and where the retailers will be that have already signed on. Still way too much parking lot for a TOD in my opinion. Oh well, maybe they can develop that in the future.

http://centercal.com/stationpark.html

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 5:58 PM

^^^^^^ That is seriously amazing! It's unlike anything I've ever seen!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 6:09 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
^^^^^^ That is seriously amazing! It's unlike anything I've ever seen!

What a lame claim. Preeminent lifestyle shopping destination my @$$.

It looks to be a combination between Jordan Landing, The District, and a mall with the roof removed. I guess maybe it is something Utah has never seen, it's sort of like combining a soccer field, a hockey rink and an basketball floor into one combined use, and calling it "The Preeminent Sports Facility, something Utah has never seen." "We'll call it the Sockey Ball Finkor!" Well duh, of course we've never seen it, because honestly why would we?

I've said it before and i'll say it again. Narrow minded developer.

Last edited by Future Mayor; Jul 18, 2008 at 6:19 PM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 6:23 PM

Thumbs up

reminds me of a better version of Vestar's Desert Ridge or Tempe Marketplace's here in Phoenix.

They have similar designs with the big box retail on the perimeter and a specialty shopping "mall" in the center capped by a large movie theater. They even have (so far) similar tenant mixes!

See check it out:

That's how they are similar. The reason I say Station Park is a better or improved version is because they are placing office space above the retail (Vestar's development's are primarily single-story), and because it has direct access to a mass transit line - huge plus!!

Although the design is far from perfect, it certainly is a step in the right direction and hopefully those steps will keep being taken with each new development along the Wasatch Front. Even the suburbs are beginning to take some cues, and that's a nice thing to see.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 6:39 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Look at you being all sorts of positive on this project
While I sit here and be sinacle about the whole thing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West