HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Salesforce Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 1:50 AM

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 2:16 AM

Putting the LA rivalry aside...does anyone else think a spire on this tower would actually look kind of cool? Using the same roof to spire ratio of One WTC (30% of the roof height), a 250 or 300 ft spire coming out of salesforce tower could look cool. The crane sticking out from the construction of Salesforce Tower gives you an idea of what it looks like and it doesn't look bad at all...

Here's an ultra crude depiction just to show the overall shape with a spire. Looks pretty cool.

http://imgur.com/gallery/XWXls

Last edited by don116; Feb 27, 2017 at 2:56 AM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 3:51 AM

Honestly, that looks terrible. It's perfect the way it's designed.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 4:29 AM

One thing that makes this building penis-like is all the obsession with its size and comparison with others.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 4:56 AM
heavy user of walkability

taking its place in the South Beach Pantheon

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
This morning from Earthcam

Please post the link to this webcam when you get a chance. Thanks!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don116 View Post
Putting the LA rivalry aside...does anyone else think a spire on this tower would actually look kind of cool? Using the same roof to spire ratio of One WTC (30% of the roof height), a 250 or 300 ft spire coming out of salesforce tower could look cool. The crane sticking out from the construction of Salesforce Tower gives you an idea of what it looks like and it doesn't look bad at all...

Here's an ultra crude depiction just to show the overall shape with a spire. Looks pretty cool.

http://imgur.com/gallery/XWXls

I'm not too crazy about spires and I think the tower looks fine as designed without one.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkyline View Post
It seems to me that the process of constructing the crown should put the whole crown vs. spire debate to rest. This structure looks to be more intricate than the frame of the building itself. The crown has to be constructed, whereas some of the spires we've seen are assembled out of a handful of pieces or even lifted into place as one unit. There is a huge difference between constructing a massive structure piece-by-piece 1,000 feet up, and attaching something that could probably be placed or removed with a heavy-lift helicopter. The effort and complexity involved in adding these to their respective buildings is nowhere near comparable. A spire could be here today, gone tomorrow or vice versa. The same cannot be said for this crown.

Well said & thanks to Botoxic for noting the exact time The City joined the supertall league!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observatory View Post
Well said & thanks to Botoxic for noting the exact time The City joined the supertall league!
Wouldn't the "exact time" be when the center piece was installed, three weeks ago?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observatory View Post
I'm not too crazy about spires and I think the tower looks fine as designed without one.
I agree, unless the spire is well integrated into the design of the building like the Chrysler and Empire State Buildings in New York. I believe that Salesforce Tower’s design and structure still has the potential to support a spire of relatively lightweight construction as such, even if it won’t happen. It still looks fine without one though. Anyway...

Congratulations for San Francisco's first supertall!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 12:00 AM

I am mildly obsessed with the construction of the crown and its effect on the overall shape of the building. Evidence of another circumferential walkway appears at the top of the current level - I don't know if these are permanent or solely purposed for construction of the crown. If my count is correct, this process will be repeated twice more (four panel levels) to reach the final height of the building. Today's webcam stills:

Last edited by botoxic; Mar 2, 2017 at 12:11 AM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botoxic View Post
I am mildly obsessed with the construction of the crown and its effect on the overall shape of the building. Evidence of another circumferential walkway appears at the top of the current level - I don't know if these are permanent or solely purposed for construction of the crown. If my count is correct, this process will be repeated twice more (four panel levels) to reach the final height of the building. Today's webcam stills:

THAT CROWN THOUGH does anyone have interior photos?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 1:46 AM

Quote:
I am mildly obsessed with the construction of the crown and its effect on the overall shape of the building. Evidence of another circumferential walkway appears at the top of the current level - I don't know if these are permanent or solely purposed for construction of the crown. If my count is correct, this process will be repeated twice more (four panel levels) to reach the final height of the building...
Your level count is correct, and the walkways stay.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 2:34 AM

I really like the curtain wall of this building, but unless there's something surprisingly breath taking in the art-light installation, I think this crown leaves some to be desired.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 6:27 AM

It's turning out nice, but I really wish they could have built the original 1200' proposal

And yet they didn't, all because a corner of Union Square park would be shaded for a few hours in winter, when it would most likely be shaded anyway by clouds in the sky, 'cuz winter.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
It's turning out nice, but I really wish they could have built the original 1200' proposal

And yet they didn't, all because a corner of Union Square park would be shaded for a few hours in winter, when it would most likely be shaded anyway by clouds in the sky, 'cuz winter.
You can thank Sue Hestor for that.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 8:37 AM
SimCity World Champ

Quote:

So far, so good on the building's profile. Some of the renderings make the taper look too severe and pointy near the top. The slope we're seeing now looks good to me.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 4:48 PM

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don116 View Post
I really like the curtain wall of this building, but unless there's something surprisingly breath taking in the art-light installation, I think this crown leaves some to be desired.
I kind of like the crown, assuming it comes out like the renderings show. It's more interesting than the original, very plain crown, and at least somewhat distinguishes it from other Pelli designs. And I do think the art installation will make a big difference.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 11:13 PM

03/02/2017 3:00 pm

The crown build is happening very fast. This is a view from my apartment in the civic center.

Salesforce - 03/02/2017

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture