HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by condo_dreams View Post
Could someone explain to me what that ugly thing near the top of the building/tower (2nd picture) is? Is that something temporary?
I would like to think it is temporary though it is looking rather permanent

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
I would like to think it is temporary though it is looking rather permanent
This section is a window to allow the 01 units on the top two floors to have a peak at parliament and the down river views. It will be all glass and framing when its complete.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2010, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-133 View Post
Scheduled move in dates average in the April time frame - just one month delayed from the previous schedule.
Hello K133, Based on your previous posts, I believe you live in Tower 1. I have reserved a unit in Phase 2, and I was wondering if you have any advice for prospective buyers, especially concerning the quality of the construction (in-suite and common areas). Many thanks in advance!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2010, 2:52 PM

Hi Flatquestions.

There are a number of units in Tower 1 still available to see. I'd recommend that you go to the sales office, and see for yourself.

My opinion however, is that the finishing is typical Claridge. The finish is clean and fairly well constructed, but keep in mind that they are building for value. There is little attention to detail, but the quality is good enough to feel very proud of your home. This is fairly relevant when you compare something which Charlesfort constructs and designs as an example, versus what Claridge builds.

What is also noticeable is the cost - both purchase costs and continuous cost of ownership. Condo fees in tower 1 were around 32 cents per square foot (following a recent hike). This include heat, A/C, and amenities (hot tub, sauna, gym, etc...). Again, this is typical and speaks to Claridge's apparent drive for value.

What makes Tower 1 and 2 stand out over Claridge's other buildings, and even the more 'elite' buildings in the city is the uniqueness of its feel. While living there, nothing felt better. Honestly, its calm and relaxing. And the views are magnificent. Can't wait to get back there!

With all of that said, keep in mind that there are a number of owners in the building who have spent some good money to put those detailed finishing touches on their units.

As for the whole feel of the building - it is a very diverse group of people. You seem to have met someone new every week, and yet see only a few people a week.

The general common area is fairly bland and could definitely use a bit of spice - likely due to a fairly unimaginative condo board. This due to a fairly low level of activity throughout the building in general. I'd give it a few years for the sense of community and pride in community ownership to boom a bit higher. Perhaps a reflection of the developing nature of the area itself.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2010, 5:39 PM
National Capital Region

14 August 2010 by me

Old Posted Aug 15, 2010, 7:11 PM
National Capital Region

another angle

Old Posted Aug 16, 2010, 4:37 PM

That ravine shot is awesome! The entire complex looks a LOT better integrated into the hillside like that, and I never realized the ravine was almost like a gorge back there...it's deeper than it looks when seen from other angles...

Old Posted Aug 17, 2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Could someone explain to me what that ugly thing near the top of the building/tower (2nd picture) is? Is that something temporary?
Here's some recent pictures with the glass installed.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2010, 3:27 AM

Wow, that doesn't do much to make it look much better to me... I hope the view from inside is worth it; I suppose the owners will never have to look at it at least.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 2:26 PM

Does anyone know what the complete plans are for the flats.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
As in the entire flats, or the section which Claridge purchased?

Both are buried within this thread.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
The plans are in the .pdf's at the bottom of this page.

Does anyone know when Phase 3 will be released? I am very interested in one of the townhouses that will face the aquaduct.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
The plans are in the .pdf's at the bottom of this page.

Does anyone know when Phase 3 will be released? I am very interested in one of the townhouses that will face the aquaduct.
When I was at the sales centre acouple of weeks ago the sales rep said this fall. So take it with a grain of salt but I would assume before the new year.

Cheers,
Josh

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 4:41 PM

I happened to be driving by here yesterday evening after work and I have to say the buildings in their entirety look quite nice in the evening sunlight. I wish I had brought my camera with me, but I'm happy to say that at least certain aspects of it are growing on me.

K133's comments above ring true though, there's hardly any life at all around the area! Considering the proximity to Parliament and downtown, I would have expected a little more foot-traffic. From all I've heard, the Firefighters' Monument sure isn't going to change that.

Another negative would be the courtyard currently in between the two buildings. Would anyone know if that stands to be landscaped much, MUCH, more?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
K133's comments above ring true though, there's hardly any life at all around the area! Considering the proximity to Parliament and downtown, I would have expected a little more foot-traffic. From all I've heard, the Firefighters' Monument sure isn't going to change that.
There's only one phase open and the buildings are basically surrounded by empty space. There's nothing to really generate any foot traffic except for the few residents that live there now. Most visitors to the war museum arrive by car or tour bus. It will eventually get better as new phases are completed but it's never going to be like the Byward Market / Glebe / Elgin or Bank Streets which have been around for many, many decades.

The only thing that might change the dynamics of the Flats would be a MAJOR sports / entertainment / shopping complex on the west side of Booth Street that would attract lots of activity and pubs, restaurants, shops, etc. - but I somehow doubt that the city / NCC would ever allow that to happen on the Flats. I think they're more interested in densification through residential and light commercial development for that area.

Quote:
Another negative would be the courtyard currently in between the two buildings. Would anyone know if that stands to be landscaped much, MUCH, more?
They'll clean it up when Phase II is done and maybe add a couple of more trees and shrubs, but I really wouldn't expect too much. The trees in the courtyard will be nice in 5-10 years when they grow in. Ultimately it will be up to the two condo boards to decide whether to make any major landscaping changes or upgrades to the courtyard.

Personally, anything that they might do within the courtyard pales in comparison with the natural landscape available within steps of the building along the aqueduct, Ottawa river, pathways, Wellington, etc. For me that's the beauty of the Flats - surrounded by natural beauty but within a 15 min walk from downtown Ottawa and Hull/Gatineau.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2010, 10:11 PM

thank you K133

Thank you for the information K-133. It was very useful. I have decided to reserve a unit. The area is very empty right now but that should change in about a decade or so (maybe more). In the meantime, downtown is fairly close, as is Chinatown and Preston.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2010, 2:20 PM

Absolutely right, for all of the development's negatives, you cannot argue with its fantastic location! Congratulations on your decision!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2010, 1:05 AM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 9:17 PM

Drove by here recently, and noticed a thick metallic frame around the windows on the top floors of the second phase's podium... is there a particular reason for this, and is it temporary or permanent? It looks terrible IMO.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Drove by here recently, and noticed a thick metallic frame around the windows on the top floors of the second phase's podium... is there a particular reason for this, and is it temporary or permanent? It looks terrible IMO.
Permanent.

It looks great from the inside though

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa