HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
It's cheap construction and is not being built "all over the country". It's being built where there's low cost dirt which unfortunately includes Phoenix.
These articles say otherwise...this has already been discussed ad nauseam and it’s not just Phoenix like a Ronnie mentioned

https://www.curbed.com/2018/12/4/181...t-architecture

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...-look-the-same

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 6:47 AM
Skyriser

With the exception of the 3rd and Earll project and that beautiful mission style project at 24thish and Camelback, all of those Texas projects in the bloomberg article look reasonably different from each other and generally better than anything coming up here.

I blame ORB architects and Broadstone and Wood Partners for more or less being unimaginative. I don't want to slice hairs on what makes the flavor notes on an increasingly corporate architecture different from each other...It's pointless today, but there's a bright side.

These are 30 year buildings and the four over one I live in in San Jose is showing its age having been built in 2002 compared to newer builds and they cut prices enough for me to justify living here.

These are the buildings I want everywhere because today's luxury articulated box will be affordable apartments tomorrow, and dense affordable apartments are good for cities. I saw this wave of buildings back in condomania when everyone was wondering why apartments weren't being built and figured Phoenix was especially poised with large lots and easily assemblages and I'm glad they're all here.

As for the design, let's call the style Neo-modern Comatose Design Review and wait for the next weird trend in architecture like all that 60s-rehash crap they were putting up in highrises everywhere not too long ago or maybe brutalism will make a comeback.

Last edited by combusean; Jan 9, 2020 at 7:42 AM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 2:14 PM

Quote:
It's cheap construction and is not being built "all over the country". It's being built where there's low cost dirt which unfortunately includes Phoenix.
I have to disagree with this, these 4-8 story wooden apartment blocks are going up everywhere even where land is not cheap like San Francisco and Los Angeles

They are the modern equivalent of garden apartments or brick tenements from 100 years ago

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
As for the design, let's call the style Neo-modern Comatose Design Review

I like the description but somehow it doesn't quite roll off the tongue...

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 3:41 PM
Modulator

I travel...A LOT. I can speak with experience that I am seeing these bland 4, 5, and 6 floor residential complexes going up everywhere. I think this year alone, I've covered nearly 15,000 miles of interstate driving. I've been everywhere from Chicago to Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Texas, Georgia, Colorado, Cali and everywhere in between and I've been to all these places in just the last year alone. Believe me when I say, they are going up everywhere.

Yes, some have more flavor and are a little more interesting in design and some are believe it or not, way more bland. It is just the cheap trend because multi-family is hot right now and so is urban-ism. This is why we are getting a mix of these cheap somewhat urban, yet still suburban looking residential builds such as the Alta's and Broadstone's.

I didn't mind it so much when Downtown/Midtown Phoenix was just starting it's influx a few years ago, but now I'm starting to get annoyed by it. For example, the Fore development on the O'Neil lot. I can't help think how out of place a 7 story nearly block-sized residential building is going to look being surrounded by Aspire, the ASU residential tower, the proposed X Phoenix Basecamp and a 525-footer literally 50' away just across the street. I think the Fore property is going to look so out of place and stupid when these are all completed with potentially more towers in down the line. But it is what it is.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I travel...A LOT. I can speak with experience that I am seeing these bland 4, 5, and 6 floor residential complexes going up everywhere. I think this year alone, I've covered nearly 15,000 miles of interstate driving. I've been everywhere from Chicago to Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Texas, Georgia, Colorado, Cali and everywhere in between and I've been to all these places in just the last year alone. Believe me when I say, they are going up everywhere.

Yes, some have more flavor and are a little more interesting in design and some are believe it or not, way more bland. It is just the cheap trend because multi-family is hot right now and so is urban-ism. This is why we are getting a mix of these cheap somewhat urban, yet still suburban looking residential builds such as the Alta's and Broadstone's.

I didn't mind it so much when Downtown/Midtown Phoenix was just starting it's influx a few years ago, but now I'm starting to get annoyed by it. For example, the Fore development on the O'Neil lot. I can't help think how out of place a 7 story nearly block-sized residential building is going to look being surrounded by Aspire, the ASU residential tower, the proposed X Phoenix Basecamp and a 525-footer literally 50' away just across the street. I think the Fore property is going to look so out of place and stupid when these are all completed with potentially more towers in down the line. But it is what it is.
Do not fear wild height differences: https://goo.gl/maps/dHHyJPLtmwzbe5es6

And examples of these apartments EVERYWHERE this is countless hours (about 5 minutes) of searching google maps:

LA: https://goo.gl/maps/2QMtnqfGzSLVqyS8A

Indy: https://goo.gl/maps/aS6rinaUana2DVpp9

Arlington VA: https://goo.gl/maps/czEcbfxxSBsQeMoV6

Nashville: https://goo.gl/maps/5zcZrVb7MYLeyaPu5

Even in NYC! Dont let the fake brick fool you this is a stick built 5 story apartment block just like Centra: https://goo.gl/maps/B9TeHHPd4caNrZHfA

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 4:09 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Do not fear wild height differences: https://goo.gl/maps/dHHyJPLtmwzbe5es6
Quite a difference there. That's a classic art-deco building that was probably built sometime in the 1920's with most likely a steel-framed construction and a brick facade. I'm talking a cheap wood-framed with probably a stucco-looking facade on a building that has no architectural value and will have no historical value. I probably should have clarified.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Quite a difference there. That's a classic art-deco building that was probably built sometime in the 1920's with most likely a steel-framed construction and a brick facade. I'm talking a cheap wood-framed with probably a stucco-looking facade on a building that has no architectural value and will have no historical value. I probably should have clarified.
Not much we can do about things not built 100 years ago, My point is dont fret over wild differences in height near each other, whats important is ground level.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 4:47 PM

Guess I'm not paying enough attention. I swear I'd only seen that cheap construction happening in suburban areas or cities with cheap dirt. Kind of surprised to see those links but can't really argue with them.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 4:58 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Do not fear wild height differences:
Even in NYC! Dont let the fake brick fool you this is a stick built 5 story apartment block just like Centra: https://goo.gl/maps/B9TeHHPd4caNrZHfA
That one doesn't look half bad! I would love to see more of these as it gives a sense of older stock and will age much better than one of our Broadstones.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 8:52 AM
Skyriser

I’d be surprised if any of the 4 or 5 story crap that’s going up today would be still around 100 years from now. That’s a good thing.

Wood buildings are 30-year buildings, and in my lifetime they’ll start coming down for something even bigger.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 3:40 AM

When I was pulling int home today I noticed that the entire lot including Macayos and the old Toyota dealership are no fenced off with construction fencing.

I have a feeling these will all be demolished soon with the new mid-rise coming soon after.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 4:17 AM
Skyriser

I remember this project, it's called Aura Central but I can't find any more information about it.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 4:20 AM
Skyriser

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 3:26 AM

Quote:
When I was pulling int home today I noticed that the entire lot including Macayos and the old Toyota dealership are no fenced off with construction fencing.

I have a feeling these will all be demolished soon with the new mid-rise coming soon after.
Yep, I was talking about this a couple days ago. I live at Alta Central so Glad to see this is going up, sad to see Macayos go but definitely adding lots of density to the area with Centra opening in March. Hoping for some retail, restaurant or something. Are those apps saying Aura will have retail too?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 4:08 AM

I grew up with macayos, Garcia's, Jimmy's etc. Not sad to see macayos go, the food scene has improved.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 4:24 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
Yep, I was talking about this a couple days ago. I live at Alta Central so Glad to see this is going up, sad to see Macayos go but definitely adding lots of density to the area with Centra opening in March. Hoping for some retail, restaurant or something. Are those apps saying Aura will have retail too?
Aura will not have retail.

As far as these developments go, I really have to wonder why somebody would want to live there. There's hardly anything nearby.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 12:08 AM
METRO: Encanto

I remember this when it came to the VPC. There was concern about tearing down the old savings and loan building and one member voted against it because of that. It also had less housing units than the TOD Policy Plan called for, but staff told us that the plan was only advisory. It did have an unusual number of sustainability things going for it (see below) and I introduced a stipulation for general conformance to site plan which was designed to increase the likelihood that they would actually do those things. The committee recommended approval.

- Project would meet the national green building standard.
- Project would meet the current bronze standard for construction practices.
- Project would contain a solar array as a grange top carport.
- LED lighting throughout.
- Recycling program for the residence as well as the office component.
- Electric vehicle charging stations.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 3:03 AM

Quote:
I grew up with macayos, Garcia's, Jimmy's etc. Not sad to see macayos go, the food scene has improved.
Sure has improved, but, I still like Garcias now and again, if only for the pollo fundido.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Aura will not have retail.

As far as these developments go, I really have to wonder why somebody would want to live there. There's hardly anything nearby.
What do you mean???? It’s right on Central, can you get more Centralized? I can walk to Tranqillo, The Klever Koy, Across the Pond, George and Dragons, Ocotillo, China Chilli, Steele Indian School park. I’m a short light rail ride or bike ride downtown, Biltmore area is close by, a short Uber ride to the bars down Indian School or up on 7th st. I have a great view of Midtown. Park Central is right down the street, Uptown Plaza, need I say more?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest