HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 4:41 PM

Approved:

Quote:
Commission OKs a 19-story office tower at 800 W. Fulton Market with first-floor retail and 32 parking spaces. The developer of the $95 million project will pay $3.96 million into the #ChicagoNOF system for that density. The project will result in about 1,800 permanent jobs.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPlanner View Post
-Approval of reconstructing the 31st street viaduct over Metra Electirc
-43rd Street pedestrian bridge to the LFT
-Edgewater Hospital site- change the PD to increase units form 141 to 155, decrease parking from 78 to 74
-Zoning change for the planned office buildings at LaSalle/Illinois
-Zoning change for the developments at six corners
My god, it has taken forever to get anything going at the Edgewater Hospital building. Please just move forward already!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post

There were a few NIMBY's against this. A few people in 740 Fulton across the street, but that's the 42nd ward and Burnett didn't really care. Said it interesting that people n 740 didn't complain about the 2 SB towers.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 5:21 PM

I'm sure the green steps of trees will look nowhere near as pronounced in reality (likely some sad looking shrubs slammed by wind and lacking enough soil to grow healthily), but I still really like the design. I guess the key will be how the brick facade and the steel beams look.

Its a nice and slightly distinct take on maintaining the basic material pallet of Fulton market but building a modern office building.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 6:24 PM

Was anyone giddy back in 2005 when the Columbian was proposed / built? It seems like that was the tallest building in the South Loop at its time, and now it's completely dwarfed by OMP, the Grant, and NEMA.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post

There were a few NIMBY's against this. A few people in 740 Fulton across the street, but that's the 42nd ward and Burnett didn't really care. Said it interesting that people n 740 didn't complain about the 2 SB towers.
1 More plan commission on the 16th of may that will be under rahm, I wonder how many projects he is going to ram thru!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 7:08 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourstrooper View Post
1 More plan commission on the 16th of may that will be under rahm, I wonder how many projects he is going to ram thru!
All of um!

And the CTA Red Line subway at 'The 78'!

Related needs to stop kissing that Sigcho guy's ass--screw him. Once the 78 and the W Van Buren projects are approved, they will have plenty of work in Chicago until that amateur's out of office.

Kissing up to him now is not the right move. Get the approvals while the old administration is still in office, I say....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourstrooper View Post
Relax with the hysterics already

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
All of um!

And the CTA Red Line subway at 'The 78'!

Related needs to stop kissing that Sigcho guy's ass--screw him. Once the 78 and the W Van Buren projects are approved, they will have plenty of work in Chicago until that amateur's out of office.

Kissing up to him now is not the right move. Get the approvals while the old administration is still in office, I say....
he wont have prerogative once lightfoot is in office so that's probably why they are waiting give the required 10 percent aro and get express to permits basically.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 9:22 PM

I like the design of that fulton one

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 9:58 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
Was anyone giddy back in 2005 when the Columbian was proposed / built?
Giddy? Dunno about that. The Plan Commissioner at the time got the height of the building reduced, though not all that much. We in the neighborhood were excited that there would be family-size units in the building.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
I like the design of that fulton one
It reminds me of a lot of current London architecture, to be honest. That tan brick with glass is a thing.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 11:52 PM

Gr333n 4/18/19. There is a lot more mechanical than I would have thought for a building its size.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 5:24 PM
SD/OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
There's been around 157 skyscrapers and high rises completed in Chicago between 2007 and 2018 (and a few in 2019) downtown area alone (counting a few in West Loop). To give you an idea of how many that is, that is more skyscrapers/high rises the following cities currently have that were completed at any point in history: Miami Beach, Las Vegas, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, San Diego, Ft. Lauderdale, Portland, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Winnipeg, etc. At some point this year, it will surpass Baltimore and maybe even Guadalajara.

Between 2009 and 2019, there's been 137 new skyscrapers/high rises completed anywhere in Chicago - which is more than Las Vegas has in the entire city. Of course, there should be numerous completed this year so that number will be over 150 easily by end of year.
Where did you get your numbers? According to Emporis, San Diego has 235 structures completed (48 skyscrapers and 187 high-rises) and Miami Beach has 182 structures completed (18 skyscrapers and 164 high-rises). Certainly not as much as Chicago (in total) but more than the combined 157 total. Didn't check the other cities.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 6:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
Gr333n 4/18/19. There is a lot more mechanical than I would have thought for a building its size.
Being in the industry, I'd say this is pretty typical. I see one big chiller and two, maybe three built-in-place air handling units. Standard stuff.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
Where did you get your numbers? According to Emporis, San Diego has 235 structures completed (48 skyscrapers and 187 high-rises) and Miami Beach has 182 structures completed (18 skyscrapers and 164 high-rises). Certainly not as much as Chicago (in total) but more than the combined 157 total. Didn't check the other cities.
Possible the source I used for the total numbers is off. I was dumb and didn't use that site anyway I have a list of 2009 to 2019 completed. Chicago has the 3rd highest in north America of about 40 cities I checked..only NYC and Toronto had more completed. Miami was 4th

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 12:45 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Comparing "highrise" stats between cities for anything below 300' is apples to zucchinis, because the data is so woefully incomplete and inconsistent from city to city in the lower height ranges, regardless of the source.

According the SSP data base, chicago has built 152 300+ footers so far this century, including U/C.

that's more 300+ footers than any other US city has in TOTAL, except for new york and miami (and miami only has 154 in total).

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 20, 2019 at 7:41 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2019, 6:45 PM
THAT Guy

A few more of the highrise and midrise office project at Huron and Franklin. Not a huge fan of the design (looks like they just lifted the "kinetic" wall from Gr333n and merged it with the Mason/ 180 N Ada).

Old Posted Apr 21, 2019, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
A few more of the highrise and midrise office project at Huron and Franklin. Not a huge fan of the design (looks like they just lifted the "kinetic" wall from Gr333n and merged it with the Mason/ 180 N Ada).

Atleast the density is nice!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2019, 7:54 PM

Who is the architect? There are a lot of similarities with Gr333n which is fine. I rather like the Kinetic Walls. Much better than most of the parking decks in this city in my opinion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations