HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 3:29 PM

It looks like they are excavating in earnest now.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 7:57 PM

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 7:08 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I thought this perspective was interesting. If you look off in the distance you can also see some cranes:

Source

Old Posted Nov 23, 2014, 2:50 AM
we built this city

Looks far to urban to me. What will be the impact on the children?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 7:18 PM

Crane is going up:

Last edited by hoser111; Jan 19, 2015 at 7:36 PM. Reason: changed link

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 6:38 PM

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 12:37 AM

Halifax's newest downtown crane is lookin' good!

Halifax Developments Blog - 01/21/2015 Photoset

Crane #7 for the downtown area! If you want to see all of them make sure to visit the fifth floor of the Central Library!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 11:45 PM

Is this the crane from the Sisters site? I noticed that one was gone when I walked by today.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Is this the crane from the Sisters site? I noticed that one was gone when I walked by today.
Yes it is. Lead is doing the work.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 8:01 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

This video of Gottingen is meant to be mostly snow-themed, but it shows how visible the Rainnie Drive crane is at the end of the street: https://twitter.com/McgrawCory/statu...67949474246658

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 8:18 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Halifax's newest downtown crane is lookin' good!

Halifax Developments Blog - 01/21/2015 Photoset

Crane #7 for the downtown area! If you want to see all of them make sure to visit the fifth floor of the Central Library!
I had forgotten that the crane was up for 5445 Rainne Drive until I saw the video posted by someone123. Now with the Maple, Roy, Nova Centre, Rainne Drive and Southport cranes, the construction view from the Citadel must be quite amazing. I read through some old posts from other threads from a few years ago and at that time people were hoping to see one crane in downtown Halifax.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 6:04 AM

Thumbs up Just a thought

These developers were on their game with this one, I'm guessing its a new land speed record for a downtown development. Another victory for HRMxBD.

Supposedly a new police headquarters is on the cities wish list, imagine the possibilities for that lot after this one is done. The asking price the city could fetch for such a prime piece of real estate could help cover the cost of the new one.

One good location would be the flat iron lot at the other end of Rainnie Dr. where the ugly development planned for there seems to have stalled, thankfully. Another idea would be to repurpose the Armoury after the military de-commissions it

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNovaScotian View Post
These developers were on their game with this one, I'm guessing its a new land speed record for a downtown development. Another victory for HRMxBD.

Supposedly a new police headquarters is on the cities wish list, imagine the possibilities for that lot after this one is done. The asking price the city could fetch for such a prime piece of real estate could help cover the cost of the new one.

One good location would be the flat iron lot at the other end of Rainnie Dr. where the ugly development planned for there seems to have stalled, thankfully. Another idea would be to repurpose the Armoury after the military de-commissions it

They already have the location picked out from what I know

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
Updated renderings of this AND the Zellers building hopefully coming in the next month. Exciting developments both.
What happened to these? They must be floating around somewhere?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokus83 View Post
They already have the location picked out from what I know
Bedford or Burnside would be a good site for a new police station, land is cheaper and the HQ does not need to be on the peninsula. Don't know why HRM didn't build alongside the new RCMP HQ and find a way to share resources and save money.
The new hospital in Truro is next to the 102 - better access for surrounding communities. Cobequid medical centre is not in the middle of Sackville but is close to major highways.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
Bedford or Burnside would be a good site for a new police station, land is cheaper and the HQ does not need to be on the peninsula. Don't know why HRM didn't build alongside the new RCMP HQ and find a way to share resources and save money.
The new hospital in Truro is next to the 102 - better access for surrounding communities. Cobequid medical centre is not in the middle of Sackville but is close to major highways.
I believe the land around the new RCMP is already built up along Garland Ave with a lake and hiking trails in behind, so it's a little too late for that. Halifax Police already has a regional office just down the road on Wright Ave.

As I understand it, sharing resources between a municipal force and the RCMP is not an easy thing. They do collaborate on intelligence, etc., but sharing resource funding would be quite complicated, I think.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 6:34 PM

Back on topic, any updated pics on the Rainnie project? Haven't been down there recently due to all the crappy weather and immense amounts of snow and ice which make walking and driving a huge pain in the derriere...

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I believe the land around the new RCMP is already built up along Garland Ave with a lake and hiking trails in behind, so it's a little too late for that. Halifax Police already has a regional office just down the road on Wright Ave.

As I understand it, sharing resources between a municipal force and the RCMP is not an easy thing. They do collaborate on intelligence, etc., but sharing resource funding would be quite complicated, I think.
In HRM they have integrated groups and an RCMP officer in HRP building. Two senior RCMP officers, including Chief Supt. Wells attend every Board of Police Commissioners meeting.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 9:01 PM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
First off, moving all your key institutions to the outskirts is bad planning. It doesn't create walkable livable dense communities. Moving high school and hospitals to the edges is killing rural Nova Scotia main streets.

Second, the Chief says their study of operational needs suggest the near the bridges, either side. I think the operational need trumps cheap land cost.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
<quasi-planner-doublespeak snipped>

Second, the Chief says their study of operational needs suggest the near the bridges, either side. I think the operational need trumps cheap land cost.
Great - take down the Uniacke Square slums and adjacent crack houses and build it there. Close to the main clientele too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth