HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 7:52 PM

75 Centennial Pkwy. N. | Eastgate Square (Wal-Mart Section) | 1fl | Renovation

Greetings, I'm a huge fan of this website and have finally decided upon creating an account to address many of the city's issues, construction projects, and renovations. This is my first official post and I'm pleased to announce that their will be many more.

I live one block away from Eastgate Square in the 'Riverdale West' neighbourhood and when Wal-Mart officially moved further down Centennial Parkway I heard rumours from other mall employees that the space was to be revamped and used for four separate large anchor stores (One being Old Navy).

Anyways, a few days ago signs appeared plastered all over the facade of Wal-Mart showing a whole new design of the entire Eastern portion of the mall (or so I suppose) which includes a new exterior resembling the newly renovated Lime-ridge Mall, another restaurant, Sportcheck, Winners, and multiple smaller store spaces.

If any one could take pictures of these signs and care to further elaborate with rumours, specifications, or documents that would be greatly appreciated. Hope to hear more soon!

Last edited by lucasmascotto; May 2, 2012 at 10:07 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 8:50 PM

Heard about Winners a while back.

Yay for Sportchek!

Wonder if Marshall's would move in

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 12:19 AM

I hope a Marshall's is added on as well, but I highly doubt it. The posters advertised only two large spaces which are to be occupied by Winners and Sportchek. The remainder of space is to be divided up into smaller shopping areas for smaller stores. I hope we start to see some higher end clothing/accessories stores such as H&M, Guess, MAC, Forever 21, Tommy Hilfiger etc. break ground in the mall. It would really clean-up the area not to mention attract young professionals, especially with the GO Station completed in 2014, the East-end could really emulate Burlington. Lets dream big!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 12:48 AM

With all due respect, emulating Burlington is not my idea of dreaming big.

Earleir you mentioned a restaurant space. Is that not a bigger space? Where would it go, if Winners and Sportchek take those? Do you have a restaurant name?

Kelsey's closed down the street some months ago.

I'm a little worried about Sears.

Sears Canada faced with ‘toxic’ challenge
http://www.thestar.com/business/arti...oxic-challenge

Quote:
Sears Canada reported Wednesday that profit fell by more than half while sales slid 6.4 per cent to $4.6 billion during the crucial holiday sales period.

The retailer, which cut both staff and prices after the quarter ended, said profit fell to $38.7 million or 36 cents a share, from $82.7 million, or 77 cents the previous year.
Quote:
The results missed analyst Keith Howlett’s forecast by a wide margin. Noting that both same-store sales and gross margins are in decline, the analyst with Desjardins Securities said it will be tough for the new management team to turn the ship around.

“In our view, the Sears Canada brand was severely damaged between 2006 and 2010, and brought down toward the level of Sears in the U.S.,” Howlett wrote. “Given the continuous decline in sales and market share over many years, and the impending entry of Target stores into Canada in 2013, management’s challenge is, in our view, daunting. There is very little time left to obtain traction with a new strategy before competition intensifies.”

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 10:24 PM

With all do respect, emulating Burlington is much better than the current condition in the East end. Either way, I took some pictures of the renovations, they're not the best because they're posted outdoors and large height but it shows the basic outlines of what they want to do.

Last edited by lucasmascotto; Feb 24, 2012 at 10:58 PM. Reason: My images aren't showing up.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmascotto View Post
With all do respect, emulating Burlington is much better than the current condition in the East end.
Sure, I'd agree with that, but, if the "east end" or Eastgate square is to be "redesigned" or "upgraded" I think we can do a lot better.

Dreaming in technicolour, there is the prospect of the LRT's B-line and S-line

There's even discussion of having the LRT go right on to mall property where the B and S lines would meet.

I've even read of designs in Europe that have LRTs going right through the interior of malls. That would be great!

LRT aside, with the RHVP up and running, Centennial Parkway definitely needs to be "cleaned" up and modernized if that is to be a node.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 9:56 PM

Speaking to some of the smaller store managers in the mall, I've been told that renovations are scheduled to begin the early summer.

But the space occupied by the old Wal-Mart has a massive leak in the roof, the basement hasn't been cleared out yet, and some of the shelving has to still be removed, so we can expect some delays.

Although, after a bunch of stores closed down, such as; Campus Crew, Urban Behaviour, and Claire's, the owners are thinking positively and already posting the new mall directory which has the Winners and Sportchek labeled, online. It can be viewed here: http://www.eastgatesquare.ca/mall-directory.html

If anyone has any further information, or images that will actually remain up on here please feel at liberty to share. Thanks.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 10:07 PM

The new restaurant kiosk in the food court; "Jimmy the Greek" will be opened on July 3rd.

I also spoke with some of the workers in the other food stands who are rumouring that the Wal-Mart section construction is to be completed by the Christmas season. I highly doubt it, but its still a possibility. Lets hope its true.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 4:54 AM

Just a little update:

*The hat store Lids recently opened up and business so far is booming

*Construction on the former Wal-Mart portion of the mall began three weeks ago, and lines have been painted to direct traffic around the front section of the old anchor store as the contractor trailer and some construction equipment dart out approximately twenty feet thus correcting the disturbed flow of pedestrians and traffic
*The front doors to the store have been removed and the sound of loud drilling can be heard during the day
*Rumours amongst the mall's employees are still circulating that the renovations will be complete slightly before the Christmas shopping season

Old Posted Aug 26, 2012, 8:18 PM

photo update

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 3:26 AM

According to the recently put up mall-directory signs a large gap of space in the new section of the mall will be taken up by an Urban Planet clothing store.

In terms of the what they offer, the selection is clean, fresh, urbane, and hip but what troubles me is that it is owned by the "Y&M Inc." which also owns the malls only two popular and youth oriented clothing stores Bluenotes and Stitches. Hopefully, the new Winners will put a much needed dent into the imperialistic clothing company.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 8:23 PM

The stores Fairweather and Stockhomme will be put in the place of the former Urban Behaviour.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 12:36 AM

Photo Update

Source: My Photos

Old Posted Nov 22, 2012, 2:58 PM

"The owners of Eastgate Mall have submitted plans to renovate the east side of the mall along Centennial Parkway, formerly occupied by Walmart. Construction will commence during the third week of June to accommodate almost a dozen new retailers including Sportchek and Winners. The common space and interior improvements are scheduled to be completed prior to Christmas, with many of the new retailers opening early 2013."

http://www.chadcollins.ca/index.php?...d=41&Itemid=63

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 1:18 AM

Photo Update

Source: My Photos

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 10:56 PM

Photo Update

From today...

Source: My Photo

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 11:52 PM

Photo Update

From today...

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 12:46 AM

Photo Update

Photos taken today, by me:

And a reminder of how it looked before:

Source

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 3:36 AM

Tenant Memo
To: All Eastgate Square Retailers
Re: Re-Development

Barring something unforeseen, we are pleased to inform you that the "new" entrance and common area will be open to the public on Monday morning
(May 27th).

Some of the new tenants that we are adding to our tenant mix in the re-developed area of the centre include, but are not limited to, Winners, Urban Planet, and SportChek (scheduled to open in June), and Kitchen Stuff Plus, Sunset Grill, Dollarama, Trade Secrets, and Ceylon Tea Bush (all with various opening dates later in the year).

For those of you who attended our tenant meeting on the morning of April 24th, you are already aware that we will be having the "Grand Opening Event" during the week of August 19th when more stores will be open and just in time to kick off the fall season and back-to-school.

Ribbon cutting (and cake cutting) is tentaively scheduled for August 20th. Additionally, a fashion show will take place on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday of that week.

It's not too late to take part in the events in order to promote your store. If you are interested in participating and haven't already committed, please contact...

http://imgur.com/Fb8SPyd

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 4:14 AM

Construction Update

Photo taken today, by me:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs