HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I listen to TSN most of the day and their ad get a lot of play. I can't get that jingle out of my head. I guess marketing really works because that is one of the few phone numbers I actually know.
Anyone who has regularly attended Blue Bombers games over the years has to have the phone number for Winnipeg Moving drilled into their heads... the jingle is literally just the business name, phone number and website repeated over and over again "925-Move! Winnipeg Moving! That's 925-Move! Winnipeg Moving! 925-Move! Winnipeg Moving dot com!".

Needless to say when I last moved, I called Winnipeg Moving... I'm no ad man, but there is clearly something to be said for simplicity

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 6:39 PM

The Holiday Inn Express in Brandon across from the Keystone Centre opens Monday. This is the first IHG property in Manitoba outside of Winnipeg.

https://ebrandon.ca/buzzpost.aspx?buzz_id=883

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 7:26 AM

Preliminary construction to replace the Daly Overpass (the 18th Street Bridge over the CP mainline in Brandon) starts this month. Unfortunately they have gone with a single bridge rather than double, albeit with a separate AT bridge. Current schedule is completion in three years:

https://www.gov.mb.ca/mit/wms/struct...ass_boards.pdf

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 1:21 PM

Is Brandon also going to replace the 8th Street Bridge, or is that gone for good? That one has been gone for a few years now and it wasn't even that old by my recollection.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 2:21 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
Preliminary construction to replace the Daly Overpass (the 18th Street Bridge over the CP mainline in Brandon) starts this month. Unfortunately they have gone with a single bridge rather than double, albeit with a separate AT bridge. Current schedule is completion in three years:

About time that the provincial government invested in infrastructure outside of Winnipeg...

I'm curious though - for the shopping area, why not just expand it to three lanes & spare the inflation down the line, in the next decade or so? Assuming Brandon is going to get more investment attention, when Winnipeg truly implodes from crime, lack of employment, sky-high taxes and driving everybody out of city limits... plus realistically, theres no other significant retail and/or industry in between Winnipeg and Regina, and they did mention how its currently a bottleneck situation. Why not just expand it to three lanes and prevent another Kenaston issue from arising? The bridge would help, yes, but wouldn't a road with much higher capacities also be the best solution as well?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
About time that the provincial government invested in infrastructure outside of Winnipeg...

I'm curious though - for the shopping area, why not just expand it to three lanes & spare the inflation down the line, in the next decade or so? Assuming Brandon is going to get more investment attention, when Winnipeg truly implodes from crime, lack of employment, sky-high taxes and driving everybody out of city limits... plus realistically, theres no other significant retail and/or industry in between Winnipeg and Regina, and they did mention how its currently a bottleneck situation. Why not just expand it to three lanes and prevent another Kenaston issue from arising? The bridge would help, yes, but wouldn't a road with much higher capacities also be the best solution as well?
You sound like you're talking about a boom/bust single-industry city like Detroit, yet you're talking about Winnipeg.

I'll entertain your ridiculous statement of a major economic collapse of Winnipeg to say that if ever that were to happen, Brandon is not going to be where the mass exodus of people will happen.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 8:56 PM

Quote:

It's a bit confusing with the Gap between the 2 directions of travel filled with some type of material. Will the deck just got all the way across and that area is filled with gravel/asphalt?

Overall though seems like a great upgrade to what is there now. Don't really need to have separate bridges.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Is Brandon also going to replace the 8th Street Bridge, or is that gone for good? That one has been gone for a few years now and it wasn't even that old by my recollection.
She gone.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 5:04 AM

Road Bridges in Brandon

The 8th Street bridge was not only deficient structurally, but also technically. The difference in elevation between the peak of the bridge and Pacific Avenue was dramatic and the turns between the bridge and Pacific ultra-sharp. Modern firetrucks could not use it, even disregarding the load limits. While there was some talk of rebuilding it a few blocks east with a better interface with downtown, that talk has long since fallen by the wayside.

My concern about what appears to be a single structure new 18th Street bridge deals with fire trucks as well. The main firehall has been moved to the floodplain north of the CP Mainline. Most of the city is to the south of the tracks. Suppose, as often happens, a train is blocking the grade level crossing at 26th Street. Hopefully nothing is blocking the 18th Street bridge if there is a fire in the west end. Furthermore, what if a train derails and damages a bridge support? With a single structure that takes out the crossing for a long time. Having separate northbound and southbound bridges at 18th Street would increase the chances of keeping at least two lanes open while a short-term accident is cleared or long-term while the "other" structure is repaired. The scary thing is that if there are problems at 26th, 18th and 1st Streets, the next rail and river crossings are at Highway 110 to the east and at Kemnay to the west.

One thing my son and I will miss is the building the the iconic "Home of the Wheat Kings" sign...

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 1:36 PM

^ Now that I think about it, I recall some mention of an AT bridge to replace the 8th Street Bridge... is that still in the works? That would at least provide people in the area north of the tracks with some type of direct connection to downtown. Or is that no longer a concern for people in that area?

And since you mentioned it, it's too bad that the Kullberg's warehouse is coming down. It provides a nice visual anchor to the downtown area. It would have been nice to see it redeveloped.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 2:35 PM

Quote:
The 8th Street bridge was not only deficient structurally, but also technically. The difference in elevation between the peak of the bridge and Pacific Avenue was dramatic and the turns between the bridge and Pacific ultra-sharp. Modern firetrucks could not use it, even disregarding the load limits. While there was some talk of rebuilding it a few blocks east with a better interface with downtown, that talk has long since fallen by the wayside.

My concern about what appears to be a single structure new 18th Street bridge deals with fire trucks as well. The main firehall has been moved to the floodplain north of the CP Mainline. Most of the city is to the south of the tracks. Suppose, as often happens, a train is blocking the grade level crossing at 26th Street. Hopefully nothing is blocking the 18th Street bridge if there is a fire in the west end. Furthermore, what if a train derails and damages a bridge support? With a single structure that takes out the crossing for a long time. Having separate northbound and southbound bridges at 18th Street would increase the chances of keeping at least two lanes open while a short-term accident is cleared or long-term while the "other" structure is repaired. The scary thing is that if there are problems at 26th, 18th and 1st Streets, the next rail and river crossings are at Highway 110 to the east and at Kemnay to the west.

One thing my son and I will miss is the building the the iconic "Home of the Wheat Kings" sign...
Not trying to be rude. But that seems like a pretty extreme scenario. The bridge could potentially remain standing and in service much like other damaged bridges.

Brandon only has one fire hall and it's on the outskirts of town?

There is also another crossing that was being installed at 34th street, which would fall under the same fate of train blockage.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 2:52 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Now that I think about it, I recall some mention of an AT bridge to replace the 8th Street Bridge... is that still in the works? That would at least provide people in the area north of the tracks with some type of direct connection to downtown. Or is that no longer a concern for people in that area?
The plan is still for an 8th St active transportation bridge. The issue is there is the same amount of funding for that bridge as there is for the active transportation bridges at the UofM/St Vital and McFayden Park/Assiniboine bridges here in Winnipeg.

It would likely get a bit of a nod considering the recently removed bridge and its now lost connections. Likely a couple of years out.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Not trying to be rude. But that seems like a pretty extreme scenario. The bridge could potentially remain standing and in service much like other damaged bridges.

Brandon only has one fire hall and it's on the outskirts of town?

There is also another crossing that was being installed at 34th street, which would fall under the same fate of train blockage.
The fire hall is fairly central but it's across the tracks from the majority of the city. It's not likely that it would be cut off from the rest of the city but it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility... imagine a scenario where an eastbound freight derails and hits a bridge pier at 18th Street, while blocking the 26th Street crossing. If something happens in Brandon's West End, that's a very long detour. If the 1st Street Bridge happened to be out of commission for some reason, then it basically involves a highway detour way outside the city. But then I suppose that even if the fire hall was south of the tracks, it would be the northern part that would be compromised... moral of the story is that Brandon needs either a second fire hall, or more bridges.

Incidentally Brandon's fire hall is architecturally the nicest one in Manitoba that I've ever seen, at least among newer (post WWII) builds. A Cibinel design.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 4:06 PM

I guess I meant that the majority of Brandon's population and buildings are south of the river. It just seems highly improbably that all 3 (eventually 4) of the crossings would blocked at one time.

Brandon actually spent money on their fire hall design. It's nothing super spectacular. But looks great. Most of the new ones in Winnipeg are crappy off the shelf, pre-designed, buildings. I think the only one that got an special treatment is the one on Portage.

My other question is what speed are the trains travelling though Brandon. Likely not fast through the yard. The piers are designed to handle some type of train impact. Obviously if there was a full blown derailment there with a big fire, that would be another story. But most of the derailments at slow speeds aren't very big.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 4:44 PM

^ The likelihood of having several crossings blocked at once is remote, but you do have to plan for the possibility... after all, it could happen. It probably wouldn't be a dramatic situation like a runaway train blasting into the bridge at 150 km/h and exploding or anything like that, but more like a slow moving train derailing and bumping into a pier, causing just enough damage to close the bridge for a couple of days while inspections and repairs are carried out (kind of like what has happened to the Arlington Bridge a few times over the years).

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 5:05 PM

That would be the most likely scenario. Depending upon how things are set-up, they may install crash walls along the piers to minimize impacts. They are required when the piers are within a certain distance of the nearest track.

The diagrams don't actually show how or if the bridge is connected together. It just shows some kind of line between the two travelled directions. Maybe they are on separate substructures.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 7:09 PM
What could go wrong?

I'm pretty sure it is a twin bridge structure.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 7:43 PM

https://news.gov.mb.ca/news/?archive=&item=49779

The write-up says a new 4-lane bridge. So who knows.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 8:25 PM

The grade level crossing at 34th Street was tied into this condo development:

https://www.riversidelifestyleestates.ca/

First building currently scheduled for Spring 2022 occupancy.

The City of Brandon wanted a crossing added at 34th Street as McDonald is the only way in or out of that area by road. One accident and emergency vehicles cannot access the area.

Biff, any idea on the 34th Street crossing?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 2:32 PM
What could go wrong?

I'm not in Brandon very often, but it is my impression that it should be under construction already...or starting soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan