HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 6:53 PM

[Stoney Creek] Amica at Stoney Creek | ? | 5fl & 2fl | Complete

Developer plans seniors’ home on Stoney Creek Dairy site

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...medium=twitter

A Hamilton developer is hoping to transform one of the city’s most beloved ice cream shops into a home for seniors.

The city’s planning committee is dealing with a proposal Tuesday to transform the now-closed Stoney Creek Dairy manufacturing plant into a five-storey, 200-unit seniors and assisted-living home. Staff are recommending the proposal.

The store remains open.

Sergio Manchia, the project’s planner, said the project will include an ice cream shop at street level. The development proposal also includes plans to remediate the land, which was contaminated during the dairy’s functional years.

The Stoney Creek Dairy was founded in 1929 by George Dawson. The dairy bar was opened in 1942.

It closed in 2010 after being purchased by Montreal-based Creme Glacee Lambert. At the time, Georges Gaucher, president of Creme Glacee Lambert, said several factors, like high taxes and electricity bills, combined to make the Stoney Creek ice-cream plant uncompetitive.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 10:41 PM

Last edited by thomax; Feb 8, 2014 at 10:09 PM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 7:03 PM

Stoney Creek Dairy moving to Bay st.?

Saw a sign out front of the dairy today. I just got a quick look at it as we were driving by, but it looks like it said that the dairy is moving downtown to Bay st., and the Stoney Creek store is closing.

Last edited by thomax; Feb 8, 2014 at 10:11 PM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 7:53 PM

Missed this when it first appeared. For a second, I thought Sushi Star was seriously stepping up its game.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 6:59 PM

The sign out front of the Stoney Creek Dairy:

"AS OF SEPT 3 MOVING TO: 325 BAY ST HAMILTON"

Last edited by thomax; Feb 8, 2014 at 10:12 PM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 7:35 PM
It's Hammer Time

That address is where Hutch's is at Bayfront.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 11:45 PM

Hutch's already serves Stoney Creek ice cream. I wonder if anything is actually being moved?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
Hutch's already serves Stoney Creek ice cream. I wonder if anything is actually being moved?
Maybe the entire dairy will be moved (the original house part) like what they did with the Grandview (Nash-Jackson House) being moved to battlefield park when the Arbour Creek nursing home was built. As much as I'd hate to see the Stoney Creek Dairy be picked up and moved to the other side of the city, I would much rather see that happen then see it get torn down so the new seniors home can be built and then have a small addition get built on the side of hutches for a new Stoney Creek Dairy.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 6:11 PM

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 3:02 AM

Last edited by thomax; Feb 4, 2013 at 10:12 PM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 10:16 PM

Demolition of the dairy started on Friday, February 1

Source

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 12:30 AM

I'm sad to see it go, but hopefully it will be replaced by bigger & better things.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 4:50 AM

Last edited by thomax; Feb 8, 2014 at 10:13 PM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 7:18 PM

Here is a picture I just took now from Dawson Avenue. (I didn't resize the photo so everyone can get a close up look)

Source: My Photo

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 5:49 AM

Last edited by thomax; Jun 24, 2013 at 9:47 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 10:54 PM

Photo Update

From today...

Source: My Photos

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 2:53 PM

Hamilton approves ERASE grant to Stoney Creek Dairy developers
(Stoney Creek News, Kevin Werner, Feb 22 2013)

The future development of the former Stoney Creek Dairy property will begin with an environmental clean up. Hamilton councillors approved a staff recommendation providing the property owners of 135-137 King Street East, and 42 Passmore with an ERASE Redevelopment grant of up to $853,000. Politicians will vote on the motion at the Feb. 27 council meeting.

Under the grant provision, the city will provide the owners up to 80 per cent of the increase in municipality taxes on the property. The city will begin collecting the taxes in the ninth year. The city will retain about 20 per cent of the municipal tax increment, or about $27,353.59 a year for ten years.

A phase two environmental site assessment was conducted on the 1.03 hectare property between September 2011 and February 2012 by a consultant hired by the developers, revealing about 9,900 tonnes of soil will have to be removed and disposed. Bore hole testing found soil with metals are consistent with a former underground storage tank buried in the ground. In addition, polyaromatic hydrocarbons and heavy metals were found in two separate areas of the property, and benzene was located in groundwater on the northeast side of the site, stated the city’s report to the government issues committee. The removal and disposal of the soil is estimated to coast about $853,000.

Last July, councillors agreed to an Official Plan and zoning bylaw amendments on the property allowing for a 93-square-meter restaurant, and 300-square-meters of office space.The developers have stated previously they may have a dairy bar in homage to the former Stoney Creek Dairy, located on the ground floor level of the facility. In addition, on the Passmore property, owned by Alex Kepecs, councillors approved a $20 million, five-storey, 129-unit retirement facility with eight townhouse units. The Passmore property doesn’t need any environmental remediation. The King Street property is owned by three individuals, Bernard Dejonge, Marinus Dejonge Jr. and Loren Goldstein.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 6:52 PM

Photo Update

From today...

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
Hamilton approves ERASE grant to Stoney Creek Dairy developers
(Stoney Creek News, Kevin Werner, Feb 22 2013)

The future development of the former Stoney Creek Dairy property will begin with an environmental clean up. Hamilton councillors approved a staff recommendation providing the property owners of 135-137 King Street East, and 42 Passmore with an ERASE Redevelopment grant of up to $853,000. Politicians will vote on the motion at the Feb. 27 council meeting.

Under the grant provision, the city will provide the owners up to 80 per cent of the increase in municipality taxes on the property. The city will begin collecting the taxes in the ninth year. The city will retain about 20 per cent of the municipal tax increment, or about $27,353.59 a year for ten years.

A phase two environmental site assessment was conducted on the 1.03 hectare property between September 2011 and February 2012 by a consultant hired by the developers, revealing about 9,900 tonnes of soil will have to be removed and disposed. Bore hole testing found soil with metals are consistent with a former underground storage tank buried in the ground. In addition, polyaromatic hydrocarbons and heavy metals were found in two separate areas of the property, and benzene was located in groundwater on the northeast side of the site, stated the city’s report to the government issues committee. The removal and disposal of the soil is estimated to coast about $853,000.

Last July, councillors agreed to an Official Plan and zoning bylaw amendments on the property allowing for a 93-square-meter restaurant, and 300-square-meters of office space.The developers have stated previously they may have a dairy bar in homage to the former Stoney Creek Dairy, located on the ground floor level of the facility. In addition, on the Passmore property, owned by Alex Kepecs, councillors approved a $20 million, five-storey, 129-unit retirement facility with eight townhouse units. The Passmore property doesn’t need any environmental remediation. The King Street property is owned by three individuals, Bernard Dejonge, Marinus Dejonge Jr. and Loren Goldstein.
I've driven by about 10 times today, and it looks like they are already done with the clean up. The whole site is leveled out with what looks like fresh soil.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 11:59 PM

Photo Update

Photos taken today by me:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs