HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 8:35 PM
passion for patterns

Arrow Old Austin Malls and Shopping Centers

I am trying to remember which stores operated where and for how long, especially grocery stores. To make things even more complicated, some existing stores moved across the street or across the highway. Some of this has happened while I moved away, but most of it seems to have taken place in the 1980's.

AppleTree
! There used to be an AppleTree at perhaps the most unsuccessful suburban power center north of the river, North Fork Plaza. For over 20 years now, I can't recall a time when it was more than half occupied. It used to have an AppleTree, Michael's, etc. back when "Travis Square" was across the street - this is now Lakeline Plaza; it was demolished in the early 90's in order to make way for the mall and interchange. It had a K-mart which sat roughly where the back end of Best Buy is now. The HEB (which sits approximately where the Applebee's is) moved down to Lake Creek, replacing the former Phar-Mor. What was in this building BEFORE Phar-Mor? The Anderson Mill shopping center was built in the early to mid 70's, meaning that there surely had to be something before Phar-Mor.

What were the other AppleTree locations in town? I think they were all former Safeways. There was a Safeway at Balcones Woods and 183 which is now a PetsMart.

Skaggs Alpha Beta, how long were they in Austin for? I used to shop at the location at Anderson Mill and 183, and I now own skaggsalphabeta.com (ironically), but I wasn't aware of any other stores in town that were Skaggs. My guess is the Stassney and Manchaca Albertsons was once a Skaggs, since it was identical in design to the Anderson Mill one. What chain operated these before Skaggs, or was Skaggs here in the 70's?

Which grocery stores were Tom Thumbs or Tom Thumb-Pages? I know Spicewood Springs and 183 was one, which became Albertson's, then got a very unkind remodel into an HEB.

Are there any other chains I am missing? Did we ever have Handy Andys or any other brands I'm not aware of? I recall seeing Winn-Dixie ads on TV, and I know that there was or is a Winn-Dixie in Waco off of I-35. Was the "Winn's" chain related to Winn-Dixie? There was one of these across from the Tom Thumb-Page on Spicewood Springs and 183 as well.

Who built the original "Doric column" style supermarkets, which are visible on Wm Cannon and Manchaca, as well as Rundberg and Lamar?

And... are there any H-E-B's whose buildings were abandoned and repurposed? They have a weird legacy of either destroying the building altogether or remodeling but remaining on the land. What are the oldest H-E-B's in town? My guess is Koenig and Burnet. Are the Sam Bass Road and Riverside H-E-B's still in their original, ugly form? I know that the equally hideous Wm. Cannon and South First one is.

The only H-E-B I can think that 'jumped locations" was the Far West location; it used to be in the shopping center that faces Far West (I vaguely, vaguely remember the old white lettered H.E.B. logo from my young young days) and now it's back behind that same shopping center, closer to North Hills.)

Okay, your turn. Oh, also, the BEST products department store on 290 is now a Virginia "College"! We should venture into where all the Service Merchandises were.

Does anyone have any pictures of pre-facelift Westgate Mall?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 8:54 PM

The most famous AppleTree was the on Lake Austin Blvd. at Exposition, where the neighborhood fought to keep a big oak tree that was in the middle of the property. The result was that the store was built around the tree, it being located in a open roofed-glass encased atrium!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 8:56 PM
Meh

As I mentioned on your Flickr page, there used to be a Skaggs-Apha-Beta in South Austin. It was located on Stassney Lane at Manchaca Road. When Skaggs was bought out by Albertsons, the store changed names to the latter. I forget the exact year, but Albertsons later built a new store down the street at Stassney and & I-35. The old store set vacant for about 2 years. It was then purchased by ACC and was intended to be turned into their new South Austin campus. The building began to have mold problems though, and was demolished. ACC built a new 4-story building on the site with a 5-story parking garage just to the north of it. I have no idea what business occupied the building before Skaggs did. That was our grocery store for years since it was almost within sight of our house. The Albertsons store at Stassney and I-35 has since closed, and there is now a Fiesta there. The Albertsons store at William Cannon and Westgate Blvd, which they had renovated pretty extensively in 1999, also closed of course as Albertsons pulled out of Austin. That building is still vacant.

Also on Stassney Lane & South First, there used to be a Safeway in that shopping center. My dad worked there during the 70s. That building set vacant for at least a decade. Time Warner now has their South Austin operations in the building.

The HEB at South First & William Cannon was previously a Fiesta. Fiesta moved in sometime between 1992 and 1995. I remember because the building had previously been some kind of bulk grocery store years before, but then set vacant for years. I was going to Bedichek Middle School across the street when Fiesta moved in. It didn't get much business apparently and had some theft issues, so it closed. HEB moved in sometime in the late 90s. By the way, it's the smallest HEB in the Austin area. They only have one set of isles and a limited selection of stuff, and it closes at midnight.

The old Hobby Lobby store at William Cannon and Manchaca Road closed a few years ago. Before Hobby Lobby, the building was a Safeway, then an Appletree. Just a month or so ago Newflower opened a new grocery store there.

There used to be an Appletree at Manchaca Road & Ben White. It's a Randalls now, but I think it opened originally as a Safeway. That location has been pretty steady for grocery stores since it was built in the 70s. The building went through an extensive renovation job earlier this decade.

I'll try and think of some more and maybe ask my mom about some others.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 8:58 PM

What was that grocery store where Saks is now? I always liked that store when I lived in that area.

On edit: Simon David, that's what it was. I think it was owned by Tom Thumb?

Last edited by priller; Apr 29, 2009 at 10:10 PM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 9:01 PM
Meh

Yes, there were some Handy Andy's. My dad also worked at one of those.

Winn's. I think Winn's was a different store from Winn Dixie. There used to be a Winn's in the shopping center at Stassney & South First. They closed in the late 90s. I've never known of a Wynn Dixie in the Austin area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter
Who built the original "Doric column" style supermarkets, which are visible on Wm Cannon and Manchaca, as well as Rundberg and Lamar?
I mentioned it above, but I'm pretty sure that building at Wm Cannon/Manchaca opened as a Safeway. It's now a Newflower grocery store and is quite busy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter
And... are there any H-E-B's whose buildings were abandoned and repurposed?
HEB used to have a store at Wm Cannon and Westgate. They built their new store at Wm Cannon & Brodie in 1999 and closed the older store. Then Albertsons renovated the building and moved in that year. Of course Albertsons moved out of Austin, so the building is vacant now.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 9:31 PM

Oak Hill had a Tom Thumb. Albertson's bought it out just as the same time HEB was just starting to serve the Oak Hill area.

I don't know if Winn-Dixie and Winn's were the same thing but there were two Winn's that I remember as a kid; one in Oak Hill in the old Albertson's shopping center and the other at the Oltorf-Congress shopping center, were Radio Shack is now.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 10:05 PM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post

I mentioned it above, but I'm pretty sure that building at Wm Cannon/Manchaca opened as a Safeway. It's now a Newflower grocery store and is quite busy.
This is near my office; I have been to newflower twice and it's decent, but kind of limited in some regards. They don't have very good deli/lunch offerings, but some of their produce/meat prices are decent.

I wonder what supermarkets were once in/near downtown...

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 1:42 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
This is near my office; I have been to newflower twice and it's decent, but kind of limited in some regards. They don't have very good deli/lunch offerings, but some of their produce/meat prices are decent.
I still haven't been in there even though it's pretty much in my neighborhood.

The first HEB in Austin is the one at Oltorf and Congress. Last year they had a 50th anniversary "celebration". I think they said that they had actually had a smaller "tester" grocery store in town before then, but the store at Oltorf and Congress was their first purpose built permanent store.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priller View Post
Simon David was the "specialty" Tom Thumb much like the Central Market/HEB relationship. I used to shop at the one at Abrams & Skillman in Dallas when I lived there. After Tom Thumb was bought by Randall's they pretty much watered down the concept and after being bought by Safeway they pretty much killed it.

When Skaggs (drug) opened up in OKC in the mid to late 70's they were paired with Alberstons (grocery/Idaho), when I worked there in high school they swapped with Alpha Beta as the grocery partner (California). Then they went through ownership and name changes in the early 90's. It was just Skaggs for awhile, then Jewel-Osco, then just Jewel and finally Albertson's.

I know my sister liked Kroger when she lived in Little Rock and I occasionally went there in Dallas, I never understood why they didn't try harder down here. It seemed there were just a few scattered around Dallas. They all over in some markets under many different names, in Denver they operate under King Soopers.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priller View Post
What was that grocery store where Saks is now? I always liked that store when I lived in that area.

That used to be my grocery store, when I lived in some apartments at the arboretum in the early 90's... I recall it as a Tom Thumb, not a Simon David (although it was a very nice Tom Thumb, like a Randall's Flagship). Great store, had the whole 2-level thing and the first place I can remember where they had an in-store sushi counter. It was also a polling place, so I'd go there to vote.. probably voted for Ann Richards in that store..

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 5:31 AM

Quote:
The only H-E-B I can think that 'jumped locations" was the Far West location; it used to be in the shopping center that faces Far West (I vaguely, vaguely remember the old white lettered H.E.B. logo from my young young days) and now it's back behind that same shopping center, closer to North Hills.)
And the US post office jumped locations from Chimney Corners & Far West to that old HEB location... I think the old HEB location was pretty much abandoned looking until the post office took over (although the other parts of that strip center were still open). Now the old Chimney Corners location is optometrists offices, I think. Even though the post office is no longer on that street, I think it's still called the Chimney Corners branch... and it always seems like the slowest, longest wait post office in town. Maybe they do that on purpose to help the cafe next door (Kneaded Pleasures).

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 6:07 AM

There was another Apple Tree at Lamar & Oltorf where the Office Depot is now. It was formerly a Safeway.

Quote:
Which grocery stores were Tom Thumbs or Tom Thumb-Pages?
There was another Tom Thumb at Riverside and Pleasant Valley. I used to shop there between Fall 1987 and Spring 1989. I think it was later an Albertson's

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 3:12 PM
passion for patterns

The Tom Thumb on Riverside, was that what became the Albertsons (which is probably abandoned now)?

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 3:07 AM

There were two Handy Andy stores on Burnet road and on S Lamar.
HEB has been in Austin longer than 50 years. The oldest one I recall was on W 12th near West Ave. I think the building is still there. Another was on San Jacinto and 14th. One on Guadalupe and 39th (the Rooster Andrews building).
These were all of the old design not a modern supermarket. Later there was one in Capitol Plaza.

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 3:42 AM
Austinite

Quick answer to a few of the questions above:

The Phar Mor at the Anderson Mill shopping center was originally a Woolco department store, which closed in 1982. A few years later it became a Value Club warehouse store (a la Sam's/Costco). That lasted 2 or 3 years. Phar Mor opened in 1989 and closed in 1992; HEB moved from the Travis Square location in 1994; 12 years prior, the Travis Square HEB relocated from the same Anderson Mill shopping center (former Beall's, now 24 Hour Fitness). Don't say you can never go home again...

There were fleeting plans of HEB relocating back to 620/183 as an HEB-Plus. This would have been part of the Northfork Shopping center redevelopment. It could still happen but not right now. And oh yeah, totally agree about Northfork...perhaps the ugliest of suburban shopping centers I've ever seen.

Winn's was an old 5 & Dime store. There were several locations around Austin. The one I frequented as a little kid was at 183 and Spicewood Springs (also once home to a Safeway, Weiners and a Revco pharmacy).

There were a few Winn Dixie grocery stores ringing the Austin metro area. The closest I remember was in Georgetown. Up until 5-10 years ago, there were several in the Waco-Temple-Killeen area.

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 3:55 AM
Austinite

As my mind permits, I'll add to the list. My mind just churned up a few more stores:

Woolco had at one time 4 locations around Austin:

-Anderson Mill (referenced above), 183 and Lake Creek Parkway
-Anderson Square - Lamar and 183 @ Anderson Lane (later a Mervyn's and now Hobby Lobby)
-Westgate Mall - later became a Wilson's and a Service Merchandise/Solo Serve department store combo.
-William Cannon - I believe it was located where the Academy is now.

Kroger used to have a few stores in the Austin area. One was located on Burnet Road, just north of Anderson, and on Ben White at South 1st. Interestingly, both later became Ross department stores with a Showbiz Pizza adjacent. The Krogers closed probably 30 years ago. Kroger also had a store in San Marcos as recently as the late 80s.

Store Chains in Austin that are now defunct:
-Solo Serve (several locations)
-Service Merchandise (Westgate Mall and adjacent to Highland Mall)
-Montgomery Ward (Barton Creek Mall and Capital Plaza)
-TG&Y - scattered around town. The one I vaguely remember was in Round Rock (where a Conn's is now).
-Phar-Mor - several around town, including said Anderson Mill location, Parmer and Mopac (now a Roomstore), Hancock Center (roughly where HEB is now) and William Cannon at I35 (also a former Woolco location)

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 10:58 AM

My list

Ok let’s see what I can remember.
1. There was a Phar-Mor in Hancock Center
2. G.C. Murphy’s in Hancock Center
3. HEB was on Guadalupe and 39th but closed because it was too small – This is where Rooster Andrews had his store.
4. HEB had a store on the south side of Capital Plaza
5. Bealls was once in Hancock Center
6. Bealls was once in Capital Plaza
7. There was a Gibson’s on Burnet Road at Green lawn Parkway
8. Spartan’s department store on Airport Blvd where the county offices are.
9. Safeway was on Airport Blvd next to Spartan’s
10. Safeway was on Burnet Road at Justin lane
11. Montgomery Ward in Capital Plaza
12. Montgomery Ward in Barton Creek
13. Montgomery Ward in Lake Line Mall (I think but this might be wrong)
14. Handy Andy grocery on Anderson Lane at Rockwood
15. Sage Department Store on Airport north of Highland Mall. Sage started out as a members only store but once the building was paid off it opened up to anyone.
16. Edison’s Jewelry on Anderson Lane between Burnet and Lamar (I think that is a Lacks furniture now)
17. Woolworth on Congress at sixth - site of a couple of famous civil rights sit-in at the lunch counter.
18. Scarborough’s (I know it’s not spelled correctly) Congress at Sixth south of Woolworth
19. Scarborough’s in Highland Mall
20. Sears, Penny’s and Wards all had stores on Congress until the 1960’s
21. Best Products on US 290 (Virginia College building)
22. Gulf Mart on Burnet Road at Anderson Lane
23. Gulf Mart on Burnet Road close to North Loop
24. There was an HEB on 12th street west of ACC Rio Grande Campus. This store closed back in the 60's or 70's and was the first site of ACC's auto repair school.
25. Newberry's on the north east corner of Capital Plaza.
26. There were a handfull of Rylander's Grocery stores that were bought out by Tom Thumb in the early 80's (I think). One was over off of Berkman between 290 and 51st, another was on Lamar at Koening with a third on Balcones at Koening.
27. Kiddy City was a toy store located on Burnet Road at Anderson Lane. There was another location on I-35 at 35th in the old Delwood Center.
There’s got to me many more…

Last edited by texastarkus; May 5, 2009 at 8:54 PM.

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastarkus View Post

Speaking of which, what about the whole Gateway/183 & Mopac area? I recall when I moved into Austin in the late 80's, Mopac & 183 was a signal light with a huge pile of dirt and land around it... the Arboretum was there up a 1/4 mile or so on 183, as were the Braker/183 shopping centers... but the highway intersection at Mopac and the directly adjacent shopping centers didn't exist.

I remember buying a futon at the Best Products which was in the new Gateway shopping center when it first opened... before the Best Buy was there. The Best Buy, if I recall correctly, first opened in the current Golfsmith location, near the ex-Home Depot. Then it moved to the Best Products location in Gateway. And as far as "former chain stores", the Circuit City (first in Austin) opened in the current Petco location at Great Hills & 183, then moved to the new shopping center just east of Gateway. It's final move to Arbor Walk (along with Home Depot) must have just lasted for a few months before they went out of business.

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 8:35 PM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
As my mind permits, I'll add to the list. My mind just churned up a few more stores:

Woolco had at one time 4 locations around Austin:

-Anderson Mill (referenced above), 183 and Lake Creek Parkway
-Anderson Square - Lamar and 183 @ Anderson Lane (later a Mervyn's and now Hobby Lobby)
-Westgate Mall - later became a Wilson's and a Service Merchandise/Solo Serve department store combo.
-William Cannon - I believe it was located where the Academy is now.

Kroger used to have a few stores in the Austin area. One was located on Burnet Road, just north of Anderson, and on Ben White at South 1st. Interestingly, both later became Ross department stores with a Showbiz Pizza adjacent. The Krogers closed probably 30 years ago. Kroger also had a store in San Marcos as recently as the late 80s.

Store Chains in Austin that are now defunct:
-Solo Serve (several locations)
-Service Merchandise (Westgate Mall and adjacent to Highland Mall)
-Montgomery Ward (Barton Creek Mall and Capital Plaza)
-TG&Y - scattered around town. The one I vaguely remember was in Round Rock (where a Conn's is now).
-Phar-Mor - several around town, including said Anderson Mill location, Parmer and Mopac (now a Roomstore), Hancock Center (roughly where HEB is now) and William Cannon at I35 (also a former Woolco location)
I forgot about TG&Y (I don't remember the ones in Austin but when I lived in Virginia there was one.)

Montgomery Ward, of course, I forgot that that turned into a Target at Capital Plaza. I remember loving Capital Plaza so much as a kid because it had the only Toys R Us on the north side at the time.

Does anyone have pictures of the old Westgate Mall? I went to a Star Trek convention there during its swan song years (early-mid 90's) but remember it having a fairly funky exterior design.

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 8:38 PM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastarkus View Post
1. There was a Phar-Mor in Hancock Center
2. G.C. Murphy’s in Hancock Center
3. HEB was on Guadalupe and 39th but closed because it was too small – This is where Rooster Andrews had his store.
4. HEB had a store on the south side of Capital Plaza
5. Bealls was once in Hancock Center
6. Bealls was once in Capital Plaza
7. There was a Gibson’s on Burnet Road at Green lawn Parkway
8. Spartan’s department store on Airport Blvd where the county offices are.
9. Safeway was on Airport Blvd next to Spartan’s
10. Safeway was on Burnet Road at Justin lane
11. Montgomery Ward in Capital Plaza
12. Montgomery Ward in Barton Creek
13. Montgomery Ward in Lake Line Mall (I think but this might be wrong)
14. Handy Andy grocery on Anderson Lane at Rockwood
15. Sage Department Store on Airport north of Highland Mall. Sage started out as a members only store but once the building was paid off it opened up to anyone.
16. Edison’s Jewelry on Anderson Lane between Burnet and Lamar (I think that is a Lacks furniture now)
17. Woolworth on Congress at sixth - site of a couple of famous civil rights sit-in at the lunch counter.
18. Scarborough’s (I know it’s not spelled correctly) Congress at Sixth south of Woolworth
19. Scarborough’s in Highland Mall
20. Sears, Penny’s and Wards all had stores on Congress until the 1960’s
22. Gulf Mart on Burnet Road at Anderson Lane
23. Gulf Mart on Burnet Road close to North Loop
24. There was an HEB on 12th street west of ACC Rio Grande Campus. This store closed back in the 60's or 70's and was the first site of ACC's auto repair school.
Wow, what an exhaustive list! I don't remember Gulf Mart - what is it?
And Gibson's as in the Oklahoma chain that still exists?

It was before my time, but Joske's was bought out by either Dillard's or Foley's, right?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin