HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 2:44 PM

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 2:52 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
I think Young is foreseeing the rapid decline/collapse of the league and is trying to pull it while he's still ahead
I don't think a company like Stelco would have jumped aboard a sinking ship. Kestenbaum seems to be the type who sees value that others miss.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I don't think a company like Stelco would have jumped aboard a sinking ship. Kestenbaum seems to be the type who sees value that others miss.
As does Doman in BC

Amar Doman on the B.C. Lions legacy brand, reaching a younger audience
Halford & Brough in the Morning
Mike Halford & Jason Brough Sportsnet 650 November 9 2021

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 3:09 PM

Quote:
I think the new betting legislation is gathering a fair amount of interest and combining with the revenue sharing initiative seems to be fueling renewed optimism.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 3:22 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
I think the new betting legislation is gathering a fair amount of interest and combining with the revenue sharing initiative seems to be fueling renewed optimism.
I think you're right about that.

Young has been owner for a long time now, since fall 2003. It wouldn't surprise me if he's tired of being the main guy at the top. And he's pretty much done everything that he hoped to accomplish from the outset; a championship is probably the only thing missing.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 3:27 PM

Quote:
I think you're right about that.

Young has been owner for a long time now, since fall 2003. It wouldn't surprise me if he's tired of being the main guy at the top. And he's pretty much done everything that he hoped to accomplish from the outset; a championship is probably the only thing missing.
He pretty much said what you said in his caretaker's update. He seemed pretty happy about it. I wonder if he will wait to pull the pin, though, at the next Hamilton Grey Cup.

The betting thing seems to be very quietly (to us) having some influence with insiders.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 4:28 PM

Sets transition from Young to a stable new owner in Stelco. I suspect Stampeders to be sold off this year.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 6:10 PM
Ham-burgher

Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ team bus appears in ‘The Simpsons’

https://3downnation.com/2022/01/03/w...-the-simpsons/

"The episode featured the Springfield Atoms football team dominating their opponents by a score of 42-3 when the visiting defence quits mid-game to “try their luck in the Canadian Football League.” ESPN NFL insider Adam Schefter appeared in the episode in a guest role, voicing himself."

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 6:14 PM
Community Guy

Hahaha that's awesome.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 8:45 PM

Former Ottawa Rough Rider Bob McKeown named to the Order of Canada
3Down Staff 3downnation.com December 30, 2021

Photo courtesy: Scott Grant / CFLPhotoArchive.com

Canadian Governor General Mary Simon announced 135 appointments to the prestigious Order of Canada on Wednesday and a former CFL all-star was among those honoured for their extrodinary contributions to the nation.

Robert Duff McKeown, known to all as Bob, was made a Member of the Order of Canada “for his excellence in investigative journalism for television,” but he first graced television screens in this country as a member of the Ottawa Rough Riders.

After graduating from Yale, McKeown spent five seasons from 1971 to 1975 with his hometown Riders. He played 70 games over that span and was named a CFL East All-Star at centre in 1974, one year after he helped Ottawa win the 61st Grey Cup.

The son of a journalist, McKeown began his career in media while still a player, delivering sports commentary on CBC radio in Ottawa three times per week. In 1981, he joined the CBC’s The Fifth Estate, a popular investigative journalism show, as a co-host. He left the program in 1990 to join NBC’s Dateline for eight years, before jumping to CBS News for five years after that.

McKeown returned to The Fifth Estate in November of 2002 after 13 years working south of the border and continues to be one of the most respected voices in Canadian journalism. Along the way he has covered everything from the 1987 Edmonton Oilers’ Stanley Cup run, to the 9/11 terrorist attacks, to being the first journalist to broadcast from the front lines during the Gulf War. In the process, he has won two Gemini Awards and two Emmy’s.

Nevertheless, McKeown has stayed connected to his CFL roots. He has served as an executive with Ottawa’s CFL alumni organization and been a Redblacks season ticket holder, but has also called the league to account for failing to do more to help current and former players suffering the aftermath of concussions.

In 2016, McKeown announced that he would be donating his brain to the Canadian Concussion Centre in order to learn more about the long-term effects of traumatic brain injuries in football.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 8:59 PM
It's Hammer Time

Having Alan Kestenbaum part of the ownership of the Ti-Cats will hopefully build a stable solid franchise for years.

Guys like Kestenbaum (his company is worth something like $1.5 billion), Bob Young, Scott Mitchell, and Jim Lawson have deep pockets.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 11:41 PM
Ham-burgher

https://3downnation.com/2022/01/04/s...he-tiger-cats/

One new nugget about this deal, in bold:
"Stelco Holdings Inc. has executed agreements with the current owners of the Hamilton Sports Group for the purchase of a 40 percent equity interest in the entities that own the Hamilton Tiger Cats and Forge FC, as well as the master lease of Tim Hortons Field."

We can probably say hello to Stelco Stadium or something like that once the Tim Hortons naming rights deal expires. Hopefully they don't go for a combo corporate name...

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 3:40 AM

Chris Jones hasn't said it outright but he wants a veteran starting QB and I wouldn't be surprised if he requires Mike Reilly. With new Lions ownership and the club having more resources to fill other roster spots if they dump Reillys massive contract. Also gives the Elks more credibility with fans and rebuild the fan base.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 9:57 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Chris Jones hasn't said it outright but he wants a veteran starting QB and I wouldn't be surprised if he requires Mike Reilly. With new Lions ownership and the club having more resources to fill other roster spots if they dump Reillys massive contract. Also gives the Elks more credibility with fans and rebuild the fan base.
I hope that happens, Reilly should've never left us in the first place. That was the start of the downward spiral to where we are today imo.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
I hope that happens, Reilly should've never left us in the first place. That was the start of the downward spiral to where we are today imo.
It's not the player's fault the team didn't fill his opening well enough.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
I think Young is foreseeing the rapid decline/collapse of the league and is trying to pull it while he's still ahead
No he isn't.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
No thanks. Mike's on the decline IMO.

I'd be all for the Elks going after Dane Evans.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
No thanks. Mike's on the decline IMO.

I'd be all for the Elks going after Dane Evans.
I'd put money on the Cats doing what it takes to keep Dane and letting Masoli go.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 7:05 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
I'd put money on the Cats doing what it takes to keep Dane and letting Masoli go.
I'd be surprised if they don't do that. Evans said he wants to test the market because he's got that opportunity for the first time in his career. But he (and the Ticats, likely) will know what kinds of offers will be out there before FA begins. Hamilton will give him a generous base salary and some juicy bonuses to stay, if that's what he wants to do.

I could see Edmonton going after Masoli. He spent a season there to start his CFL career (2012) though he remained on the IL.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 8:45 PM

As of now, looks like Arbuckle is our guy. He just restructured his contract with us.

Things could change but I think he is our starter. He got his bonus money with this restructuring so he may be easier to cut if we sign someone else.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada