HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 6:11 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Problem is, people like Madigan and Burke are so old, and this process seems to take so damn long, that will they ever do jail time?
Patrick Daley Thompson was convicted pretty fast after indictment, considering.

Of course, PDT was also way sloppier than Madigan or Burke, so it was an easier case for prosecutors to build... but I don't think they would indict Madigan if they didn't think they had a strong case.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 3:24 PM
devout Pizzatarian

looks like the new ward map might actually go to a referendum!

i love it, let the people decide!

Quote:
City Council’s Rules Committee chair to file for remap referendum
“We’re taking it to the voters and we’re gonna let the voters decide,” said Rules Committee Chair Michelle Harris. “Without 41 people making a decision to move forward, how do we avoid going to referendum? … We’re filing for a referendum because we need 41 votes.”

By Fran Spielman March 14, 2022 05:08 PM

With the City Council’s Black and Latino caucuses at loggerheads over new ward boundaries, the chairman of the Rules Committee is throwing in the towel on negotiations.

Ald. Michelle Harris (8th) on Tuesday plans to do what the Latino Caucus did in December: petition the city clerk’s office for a referendum on the Black Caucus’ version of a new ward map.

The map is backed by 33 alderpersons, eight short of the 41 needed to avoid a referendum. It was drawn for the Rules Committee and the Black Caucus by Mike Kasper, who spent decades as election law expert for now-deposed-and-indicted Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan.

“This means that the people of Chicago will decide reapportionment for the next decade-plus, which is not a bad thing,” Villegas said.

“We’ll win it because of the fact that our message is gonna be about fairness, transparency, no backroom deals. … Communities want to stay intact. People are tired of elected officials selecting their voters, instead of voters selecting their elected officials.
full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/city-ha...change-llinois

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 15, 2022 at 3:35 PM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 4:26 PM

Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 4:23 PM
BANNED

https://chicago.suntimes.com/city-ha...urism-promoter

City’s tourism promoter gets a new leader

After 25 years at the Chicago Architecture Center, Lynn Osmond will take over Choose Chicago as the agency prepares for a rebound in business and leisure travel.

By David Roeder March 16, 2022 09:23 AM

Lynn Osmond, who over 25 years increased the visibility and funding of the Chicago Architecture Center, will become the next president and CEO of the city’s tourism agency, officials said Wednesday.

Osmond was given a four-year contract to lead Choose Chicago, an organization battered by revenue losses and staff cuts during the pandemic. With business and leisure travel exhibiting pent-up demand, Osmond said she looks forward to marketing Chicago for its special assets from its lakefront and cultural institutions to its neighborhood restaurants and music clubs.

“This job is a natural segue for me because I’ve been selling Chicago throughout the world,” Osmond said. Her appointment starts May 9. “We really can brand Chicago as a very unique opportunity,” she said.

The agency dates from former Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s 2012 consolidation of the city’s convention bureau, which mostly promoted McCormick Place, with city government’s tourism programs.

Osmond said she looks forward to developing campaigns influenced by what Chicagoans say they love the most about the city. She said she favors “authentic tourism and exploration” that gets people to learn more about the city, citing as an example the architecture center’s Open House Chicago, a free festival that gets visitors inside notable buildings citywide.

..The selection, however, was made by a search committee of Choose Chicago’s board. ...

... Osmond’s “intimate knowledge of this city will ensure that we will continue to safely encourage and delight those who come to Chicago for work and play.” Gov. J.B Pritzker praised the appointment, saying “there’s no one better than Lynn to take the Windy City’s global reputation to new heights.”

Glenn Eden, the chair of Choose Chicago’s board, said Osmond’s background and deep industry connections will allow her to hit the ground running with “strong ninjas” on staff. Pre-pandemic, about 80 people worked for the organization. Eden said that number has declined to 32 but that it should reach 50.

The state Legislature has guaranteed Choose Chicago $16 million for each of the next two years to make up for shortfalls in the hotel tax, agency leaders said. With money from airport taxes and other sources, it has set an annual budget of $26 million for the next two years, still down about 20% from pre-pandemic levels.

Eden said precarious funding complicated the hiring of a CEO when the agency started its search last year. He said the search was extended and Osmond rose to the top of applicants as the board focused on candidates who “really, really know Chicago” and have connections with tourism leaders.

At the Chicago Architecture Center since 1996, Osmond oversaw a nearly fivefold increase in its annual patrons. The center opened riverfront exhibition space at 111 E. Wacker Drive with a scale model of downtown Chicago and programs that have made it a popular tourist attraction.

Choose Chicago is closely aligned with another public-private organization, World Business Chicago, whose focus is company relocations. But World Business Chicago also sells the city’s image and has started a campaign about how Chicago’s influence turns up elsewhere, such as New York and London. The “Chicago Not in Chicago” pitch has been scorned on social media by people who don’t get how talking about other locations is a good approach. Lightfoot has praised the campaign.

Eden, a public relations executive, and Osmond sidestepped a question about whether they like the campaign, developed without Choose Chicago’s input. “We support the message of Chicago as a world business innovator,” Eden said.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 5:09 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
looks like the new ward map might actually go to a referendum!

i love it, let the people decide!

full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/city-ha...change-llinois
I hate the rhetoric coming out of Black Caucus about their map. Complaining about the price tag of holding a referendum, as if democracy and proper representation isn't something worth spending money on.

I'd certainly rather spend money on that than a new police academy or a million other things the city spends money on.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 1:37 PM
The City

Delete

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 1:58 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKChaz View Post
Came across this related to federal spending:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/columni...s-federal-cash

How did this end up on the radar for an earmark to demolish instead of simply be sold? Is the city pushing to tear these down?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumers_Building
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century_Building_(Chicago)
I agree that razing those buildings would be absolutely tragic.

But (semi-related, since there isn't a thread for development/general discussions outside of Chicagoland), I thought this section of the article was also pretty sad, considering that folks downstate constantly complain about Chicagoland constantly getting the bulk of funding, when their own representatives are fucking them over (also, keep in mind that this is the same Mary Miller who quoted Hitler after the January 6th Insurrection):

"REP. MARY MILLER: ONLY ILLINOIS MEMBER SHUNNING DISTRICT DOLLARS

All 13 Illinois House Democrats requested projects. Four of the five Illinois House Republicans also asked for earmarks.

Freshman Rep. Mary Miller, R-Ill., is the only Illinois member to not apply for any earmarks. She joined her Freedom Caucus colleagues in objecting to the revival of earmarks. Once they became available, she didn’t apply for any.

That denied her district — based in southern Illinois — a lot of federal money for worthy projects.

Securing an earmark was not contingent on voting for the bill. A member could apply for earmarks last May, vote against the legislation a few days ago and still get federal project funding.

Miller is locked in a June GOP primary with Rep. Rodney Davis. Davis, among other earmarks, got $1 million for security screening improvements at Willard Airport in Champaign and $3 million for the city of Gillespie.

The omnibus legislation was divided into two votes. Davis and Miller voted against the part of the bill with much of the domestic spending and yes for the defense and Ukraine assistance portion. Both bills had earmarks in them."

Seriously??

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 12:18 PM
The City

^ That's because you think differently than those downstate rural folks (ie "knuckle dragging troglodytes", as some endearingly view them)

You want more federal dollars to build stuff, and then to use tax revenue to continue to maintain it. That is totally fine and understandable.

Some of those folks don't want federal dollars to build stuff, because it later means a) strings attached, and b) taxes & fees to help maintain it.

There is no right or wrong answer, there is only what voters want for their districts. Let Chicago get the money if Chicago wants it, I say

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 1:08 PM

Mary “Hitler was right” Miller is the representative who proves rural areas have well-reasoned positions?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 1:20 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
^ That's because you think differently than those downstate rural folks (ie "knuckle dragging troglodytes", as some endearingly view them)

You want more federal dollars to build stuff, and then to use tax revenue to continue to maintain it. That is totally fine and understandable.

Some of those folks don't want federal dollars to build stuff, because it later means a) strings attached, and b) taxes & fees to help maintain it.

There is no right or wrong answer, there is only what voters want for their districts. Let Chicago get the money if Chicago wants it, I say
Absolutely, but as an Illinoisian, I also care about what happens to other parts of the state, even small towns all the way south since we're all part of the same whole, and we all benefit as a state when areas outside of northern Illinois/Chicagoland get their fair share of federal funding.

Maybe you're right, maybe people downstate don't want federal dollars to build stuff, like you say. Maybe Mary Miller is a reflection of her constituents, which would be kind of sad. But I also think that many of those same constituents are not being told or perhaps don't understand what that federal money would be used for; who knows?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 1:23 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj1 View Post
Mary “Hitler was right” Miller is the representative who proves rural areas have well-reasoned positions?
Really never heard of this lady, but I Googled her Hitler quote and here is what she said:

Quote:
“If we win a few elections, we’re still going to be losing unless we win the hearts and minds of our children. This is the battle. Hitler was right on one thing. He said, ‘Whoever has the youth has the future,’”
Always dumb to quote Hitler.

Do you have something else to say about her ability to represent her rural, downstate constituents, are are you going to hang your hat on this one poorly chosen set of words?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 1:42 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Absolutely, but as an Illinoisian, I also care about what happens to other parts of the state, even small towns all the way south since we're all part of the same whole, and we all benefit as a state when areas outside of northern Illinois/Chicagoland get their fair share of federal funding.

Maybe you're right, maybe people downstate don't want federal dollars to build stuff, like you say. Maybe Mary Miller is a reflection of her constituents, which would be kind of sad. But I also think that many of those same constituents are not being told or perhaps don't understand what that federal money would be used for; who knows?
At some point there is a risk of being paternalistic, despite all good intentions.

You have a different set of views, and while you care about what happens elsewhere in Illinois there are many who look down their noses at them, calling them names and viewing them as less human. People living downstate know that they are looked at that way by many people living in Chicago, and perhaps they just don't trust that people from Chicago know "what's better for us than we do".

What I can say is that rural folks maybe just don't want too much infrastructure to maintain. May seem odd to people living in big cities, but that's just how it is and the people that they vote into office reflect those strange values.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Do you have something else to say about her ability to represent her rural, downstate constituents, are are you going to hang your hat on this one poorly chosen set of words?
I do, do you have anything besides reflexively defend people on your “team”?

That comment was obviously the most notable, especially when she doubled down. It wasn’t just poorly chosen words either, the undertone was “we should do what Hitler did and get the youth on our side.” It requires an odd worldview to lead you that conclusion and using Hitler as your north star.

There is plenty more when you get past the first Google results (or pay attention to state politics). Good places to start would be her stance on Myanmar, her stance on Ukraine (just a few weeks ago), and her stance on Jan. 6th. I look forward to a healthy discussion on her stances.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 5:40 PM
The City

Chicago getting its first Asian American female Alderman:

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news...-city-council/

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 12:49 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Chicago getting its first Asian American female Alderman:

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news...-city-council/
Bout fucking time!! Sad that it took this long, considering the City's rich pan-Asian cultural and population history.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2022, 1:58 PM
The City

Ald Raymond Lopez running for Mayor

Old Posted Apr 6, 2022, 4:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Ald Raymond Lopez running for Mayor
Thoughts??

Old Posted Apr 6, 2022, 10:15 PM
Plenary pleasures.

He looks like a dork

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 5:09 PM
not cleavefied

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
Thoughts??
No.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 9:05 PM
TL;DR

Lightfoot is in the weird place where progressives think she's a conservative, and conservatives think she's too progressive. Lopez will most certainly be running to the right of Lightfoot (tough on crime, lower taxes, fixing potholes/widening roads, anti-CTU, etc).

I don't see Chicagoans electing someone who appears on Fox News, but they might unless someone better jumps into the race. I'm worried that the actual talented people don't want to touch the mayoral race with a ten-foot pole. Mayor of Chicago has to be one of the toughest, most thankless jobs in US politics.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest