HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 2:50 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
Part of that might be the challenges of the Phase 1. Things that come to my mine about Ottawa's new LRT is:
the problems running in snow,
The sinkhole at Rideau Centre,
The derailments over lack of maintenance,
Etc.

At no time do I think of how transformative it is and will be, unless I look at what they are doing and where it goes.
Part of the reason it’s easy to not think about that is that it won’t really be transforming much. Outside of the downtown and then the bit just east of Lincoln Fields, it’s most just one rapid transit system replacing an already existing rapid transit system. And one that takes a cheap route avoiding the actually populated parts of the city whenever possible.

Which was, honestly, acceptable for BRT since your bus would go along the transitway then pop out to serve your neighbourhood. But is annoying with LRT where you often have two transfers to get anywhere if you aren’t going downtown.

The city could have good BRT and a good quality core light metro, but, instead, they decided to ruin the BRT with an awkward tram pretending to be a metro running through farmland just so they could have more rail, but then less actual rapid transit.

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Add that to the list we hear about instead of how good the line(s) are and will be.
Certain given some time they will figure out how to make it all work.

During the first year or two there were problems with Skytrain in Vancouver. A few years later everyone forgot they even happened.

Perhaps some day Ottawa will also come along to not having drivers.

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Part of the reason it’s easy to not think about that is that it won’t really be transforming much. Outside of the downtown and then the bit just east of Lincoln Fields, it’s most just one rapid transit system replacing an already existing rapid transit system. And one that takes a cheap route avoiding the actually populated parts of the city whenever possible.

Which was, honestly, acceptable for BRT since your bus would go along the transitway then pop out to serve your neighbourhood. But is annoying with LRT where you often have two transfers to get anywhere if you aren’t going downtown.

The city could have good BRT and a good quality core light metro, but, instead, they decided to ruin the BRT with an awkward tram pretending to be a metro running through farmland just so they could have more rail, but then less actual rapid transit.
A lot of the sections of Phase 2 actually are new rapid transit including a number of infill stations, extensions of the Trillium line, a new section of RT along Byron east of Lincoln Fields and no more mixed operations on highways or streets.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Part of that might be the challenges of the Phase 1. Things that come to my mine about Ottawa's new LRT is:
the problems running in snow,
The sinkhole at Rideau Centre,
The derailments over lack of maintenance,
Etc.

At no time do I think of how transformative it is and will be, unless I look at what they are doing and where it goes.
The media only reports when things go bad. You never hear anything when things go well.

The issue in snow was during the testing phase when they left a train parked on the line and tried to move it after a snow storm, without clearing the snow first. The train excelled in snow storms last winter, which is even more obvious when contrasting to the poor performance of cars and buses in those same snow storms.

The sink hole caused major delays to the line's construction, and lawsuits relating to this, directly or not (the builder has accepted responsibility for the sinkhole, but is suing the City for delay related non-payments).

Derailments were egregious at the time however, maintenance and performance seem have taken a turn for the better over the last 6 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
At this point it is clear they should have picked the same technology as Vancouver Expor and Millenium line but some low floor tram sales rep was just extremely skilled. Now it is to late late. Ottawa will just have to learn how to make due.
Vancouver's Skytrain is infamously terrible in any minor snow event, which is not a huge deal on the west coast, but would be disastrous in Ottawa. That said, high-floor light-rail like Edmonton and Calgary, or REM technology would have been far superior to our low-floor trams, granted.

The reason Ottawa went with low-floor trams are two fold; at the time, they were planning on surface running rail in some areas, and the City had an obsession with "light-rail" since they build the original O-Train called "lrt" (though it never was) and planned the first north-south line, and could not fathom any other technology.

For better or worse, Ottawa is not the only City that has fallen into the low-floor tram acting like a subway trap. It's a trend. A dumb trend, but a trend none-the-less. Hoping the REM and Ontario Line change this going forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamincan View Post
A lot of the sections of Phase 2 actually are new rapid transit including a number of infill stations, extensions of the Trillium line, a new section of RT along Byron east of Lincoln Fields and no more mixed operations on highways or streets.
Precisely. And at this point, the majority of stations, current or phase 2, have TOD projects u/c or proposed. These would never have materialized had it not been for the conversion.

Upgrading the old Transitway was needed due to the congested central Transitway. we could have built a $1B tunnel (about double the cost of the rail tunnel for buses), but that would not have done all that much for overall capacity.

At the time, the conversion to rail made sense. It may even make sense to extend to Kanata and Barrhaven, but maybe not quite as deep into those suburbs as proposed. At this point, I think we should place more focus on rapid transit to serve dense urban areas where transit could be an option at all times instead of the commuter focused system Stage 3 will bring.

As casper nearly ever city has had challenges with new systems or new rolling stocks (looking at you, Toronto Rocket and Montreal Azure), but once things get rolling and become more reliable, those challenges are forgotten.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post

Vancouver's Skytrain is infamously terrible in any minor snow event, which is not a huge deal on the west coast, but would be disastrous in Ottawa. That said, high-floor light-rail like Edmonton and Calgary, or REM technology would have been far superior to our low-floor trams, granted.
It is technology that was originally designed for Toronto and manufactured in North Bay. You would think they understand out east.

That said, by getting away from having drivers that frees up resoruces to sand with spray bottles full of de-ice that can be sprayed on the doors during extreme conditions such as snow fall.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 7:50 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
For better or worse, Ottawa is not the only City that has fallen into the low-floor tram acting like a subway trap. It's a trend. A dumb trend, but a trend none-the-less. Hoping the REM and Ontario Line change this going forward.
I agree J.OT. I was hoping the delays in the Calgary Green Line would make them reconsider the low-floor decision but it appears we’re locked into that
I was disappointed Edmonton went low-flor, street-running tram on their new Valley Line as well.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 10:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
It is technology that was originally designed for Toronto and manufactured in North Bay. You would think they understand out east.

That said, by getting away from having drivers that frees up resoruces to sand with spray bottles full of de-ice that can be sprayed on the doors during extreme conditions such as snow fall.
Wrong Bay.

They are made in Thunder Bay.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Wrong Bay.

They are made in Thunder Bay.
Yes. I miss typed that. Thunder Bay it is.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 2:20 PM
Community Guy

Very, very nearly there... only 1.5yrs late.

TAS on SRC
https://edmonton.skyrisecities.com/f...2#post-1826360

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 2:48 PM

1.5 years. Better than the Eglington Crosstown.

Better do it late, but right, than rushing to completion.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 3:33 PM

From Ben Crooks on Twitter. Progress on Moodie Yards October 2021 vs May 2022:

https://twitter.com/BenCYOW/status/1...C--feB1rwqAAAA

Moodie Yards at the western end of the line will be a light maintenance and storage facility serving Line 1 and 3 storing up to 24 trains, supporting the main storage, maintenance and control yard at Belfast in the east end.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 1:44 AM
Community Guy

Any day now... right??? July you say... August you say... Sept?

CplKlinger on SRC
https://edmonton.skyrisecities.com/f...24534/page-223

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 8:52 PM

New renderings of New Orchard (first three) and Sherbourne (last two). These stations will be new, open air stations along the Byron Linear Tramway Park tunnel. They are brand new stations serving a long standing gap in service between Dominion (soon to be Kitchi Sibi) and Lincoln Fields.

And the tunnel construction, they've started laying the actual running tunnel segments:

Old Posted Jun 12, 2022, 4:57 PM

Nice pics guys.

Speaking of the Eglinton crosstown, will it open this year? Or will it be delayed again?

Does anyone know how the REM in Montreal is coming along? Will the south shore portion be open this year as scheduled?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
Nice pics guys.

Speaking of the Eglinton crosstown, will it open this year? Or will it be delayed again?

Does anyone know how the REM in Montreal is coming along? Will the south shore portion be open this year as scheduled?
Yup, should open on South Shore December 1st. Source:
https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...e-inauguration

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
Nice pics guys.

Officially opening of the Crosstown is still by end of year, but I suspect it'll be delayed to early 2023.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Yup, should open on South Shore December 1st. Source:
https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...e-inauguration
Thats good to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Officially opening of the Crosstown is still by end of year, but I suspect it'll be delayed to early 2023.
Hopefully things will open on schedule.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 8:54 PM
Community Guy

The Churchill Connector hoarding is down. This is where the UG portion of the Capital/Metro lines meet up with the at-grade SE Valley-Line and should be our busiest station by far.

(used with permission)

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
The Churchill Connector hoarding is down. This is where the UG portion of the Capital/Metro lines meet up with the at-grade SE Valley-Line and should be our busiest station by far.

(used with permission)
They could have used this whole time to update the total station.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 9:30 PM
Community Guy

Makes too much sense.

There was a plan to renovate Churchill and update HVAC, life safety and remove the unnecessary equipment rooms, but it did not receive funding.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada