HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
This town has a dozen or so washed up humpty dumpty worshipers who hate downtown, hate any growth downtown, complain that a new highrise hurts walkability they actually hope for projects to fail downtown, and wish that downtown was like it was back in the 60's and even the 80's and I think some hang out at a coffee shop on Vista Ave probably because they hate downtown and would never to go a coffee shop there because they can't park in a parking lot and have to be urban and park in a garage or a metered spot----oh the horror. They are bitter people and will become even more irrelevant as Boise grows.
This is definitely true. I used to work downtown and customers would complain constantly about getting there and finding parking. They would always comment on how we should move to Meridian or somewhere in a strip mall where parking is easier and free. Silly thing was that our office was connected to a public parking garage that offered an hour for free!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 4:04 AM

It definitely annoys me when people use the made up excuse that since Boise's Mayor doesn't have an (R) in front of his name-he's out to get all of us by trying all he can to take away all of our rights, along with the city's small town look and feel. They say his want to improve our city’s transportation and atmosphere will ruin everything that Boise is about. Well, it’s the other way around. Not having any improvements upon public amenities such alternative transportation will hinder our ability as a whole to be able to cope with Boise’s population growth, and will make the streets downtown even louder with the increase in traffic, which in turn will create more of an unpleasant experience for pedestrians. That is no way to attract large out of state conventions. Who will bring much needed money into our city’s economy, and attract the attention of future developers. Heck, if you really want to see who’s trying to ruin the city’s charm look at the state legislature.It’s completely laughable! They’re so darn conservative that they don’t seem to give a damn about Idahoans, let alone the beautiful City of Boise that they occupy. It’s like, if Boise get’s any sort of amenity that their small town isn’t capable of having at the time they have to stomp their feet like little children, and demand that if they can’t have it, no one can! “Sigh” If only everybody were able to get along with each other and understand that Boise isn't the bad guy out of the bunch. All we're trying to do is improve upon what we already have so that we can succeed in the future and not hit another brick wall. And if we keep hitting those walls we will lose that ability to keep that certain unique charm that everyone out of the state talks about. I can only speak for myself, so I'll say this: all I want is for what's best for the City of Trees, and if that means adding more options for alternative Transportation along with increasing the density and growing tall so be it. Is that too much to ask for?
-End Rant

Last edited by Hawk; Mar 26, 2015 at 11:14 AM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 2:36 PM
not a cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo View Post
This is definitely true. I used to work downtown and customers would complain constantly about getting there and finding parking. They would always comment on how we should move to Meridian or somewhere in a strip mall where parking is easier and free. Silly thing was that our office was connected to a public parking garage that offered an hour for free!
To be fair, driving up 3 or 4 or 6 floors of a parking garage is kind of annoying just for a 1 hour lunch trip or visit to a bank or insurance agent. And then there's the stall widths. Man, I have a compact car and I can barely park in there, I don't know how people with full size F-250s do it. I've long maintained that stall widths should be widened. At least try an experiment with all of them (CCDC garages) for 1 year.

But I always tell people look at Boise Town Square. When I go there I walk just as much as I do trying to go somewhere downtown at lunch hour or on First Thursday. The complainers probably don't know downtown very well. I rarely have to walk more than 3 blocks any time of day when I visit any place in the CBD.

I don't worry about the parking complainers too much. It's a sign of success that finding parking downtown is an issue.

Last edited by boisecynic; Mar 26, 2015 at 2:49 PM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 5:17 PM
All man. Half nuts.

for those of you who don't get downtown much, the steel for the clearwater building is now above street level.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 6:59 PM
All man. Half nuts.

also, i just noticed today that the rebar for the Simplot HQ elevator shaft is now above street level...

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 8:37 PM
Closed account

Steel going up at City Center

3-26-2015

Here is a short VIDEO shot today:

http://youtu.be/x0lsSpyPQpg

Last edited by Architecture Buff; Mar 26, 2015 at 9:03 PM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 8:46 PM
Closed account

Gardner Hotel

If Gardner has 5 acres at 11th and Front maybe some condo and office towers will be built next to the hotel. With all of Simplot employees working across the street, some would love to live downtown and walk to work in a few short steps.

Last edited by Architecture Buff; Mar 26, 2015 at 9:10 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 1:32 AM
All man. Half nuts.

remember when the boise cascade building was purchased, there was a lot of buzz about the surface lots surrounding the property being converted into hotels and office space?

perhaps the owners will revive those plans. surface parking lots are gross, evil and wrong.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
remember when the boise cascade building was purchased, there was a lot of buzz about the surface lots surrounding the property being converted into hotels and office space?

perhaps the owners will revive those plans. surface parking lots are gross, evil and wrong.

The parking lot next to the US Bank branch was originally where the transit center was to be located. But Boise Cascade refused to sale the property to the city. Saying that they had plans for future expansion. I hope they will sooner rather then later build on those lots, or give them up to someone who will actually develop the area.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 5:04 AM
Let's Go Brandon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture Buff View Post
3-26-2015

Here is a short VIDEO shot today:

http://youtu.be/x0lsSpyPQpg
Anyone know when we'll see a tower crane go up and where it will be located?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el conquistador View Post
It should be this proposal and it's not even close. This maintains the old art-deco building that houses Watercooler and adds a really nice bit of height to that area.
I heartily agree! Not even close.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 4:03 PM

Top 20 Fastest-Growing Metro Areas In The U.S.

Boise is on the list!

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...and-golf-carts

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 5:18 PM

Thought I might cast my opinion of the two proposals as well; preserving part of the Watercooler building is an awesome endeavor on their part. That plus the added height just makes it a no-brainer for me. The other one definitely misses the mark.

Last edited by kidboise; Mar 27, 2015 at 5:19 PM. Reason: repetition :DDD

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 4:38 AM
Let's Go Brandon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakor21 View Post
Top 20 Fastest-Growing Metro Areas In The U.S.

Boise is on the list!

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...and-golf-carts
Meh. I have mixed feelings about the growth. I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm in no hurry to see the metro reach the 1 million mark. Part of what makes the Boise metro area such a wonderful place to live is that there aren't a million+ people living here.

On the other hand, if most of the growth were to occur within existing city boundaries instead of constantly spreading out (i.e. higher density and less sprawl), then growth would be a good thing.

Grow up, not out.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOI-IDA View Post
Meh. I have mixed feelings about the growth. I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm in no hurry to see the metro reach the 1 million mark. Part of what makes the Boise metro area such a wonderful place to live is that there aren't a million+ people living here.

On the other hand, if most of the growth were to occur within existing city boundaries instead of constantly spreading out (i.e. higher density and less sprawl), then growth would be a good thing.

Grow up, not out.
I was just talking with a gentlemen at a service counter the other day about this. As the majority are, he was from California and moved up here. I guess he loved it here but decided to pursue a position in Utah and moved his family to SLC for a year. He said they hated it so they jumped ship to come back to Boise. He mentioned even the 1 year he was gone and came back he felt like there was a traffic increase in the valley. So, what does he do next? He told me he invited some more family and friends that are coming up next week to stay and check out the valley.

Boise is great and the secret is out. Can it sustain it's presence as a wonderful city while bulging at the belt from growth? Only time will tell. The road infrastructure worries me the most. It's far from par.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 4:30 AM
Let's Go Brandon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo5Boise View Post
...As the majority are, he was from California and moved up here. I guess he loved it here...
My only complaint about Californians moving here is some of them thinking they can improve Idaho by making it more like California.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 6:06 PM
Closed account

City Center Tower Crane and Hotels

March 30,2015

City Center tower crane scheduled for May.

Here is a look at the two hotel building sites looking southwest. Inn at 500 Capitol just north of The Flicks (light colored building in middle left of photo), and the Broad and Capitol 10 story hotel at the Dunkley Music (dark brown building) site east of the Hampton Inn. Capitol and Myrtle will have three hotels across from each other.

Last edited by Architecture Buff; Mar 30, 2015 at 6:19 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post

I remember this too, it seemed to be a great development and they were going to turn one of the parking lots into a park if I remember correctly.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 11:18 PM

Construction to start on condos at 10th and Grove streets in Downtown Boise

Developers will break ground this Thursday, April 2 on a 26-unit condominium project at 10th and Grove streets in Downtown Boise.
Prospect Companies and Sawtooth Development are undertaking the $9.5 million One Nineteen project.. Homes will sell from the high $300,000s to the mid-$900,000s.
Boise’s CSHQA Architects designed the condos with two- and three-bedroom floor plans, 10-foot ceilings in most units and 18-foot ceilings in sixth-floor penthouse units. The condos will have decks.
The building is expected to be completed in spring 2016. Boise’s CSDI Construction Inc. will build it. The developers say the construction work will employ about 500 people.
Boise Mayor Dave Bieter will take part in the groundbreaking at 2 p.m. Thursday. Sales are being handled by Urban Concepts and Century 21 Magellan Realty.

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2015/0...#storylink=cpy

Rendering from: www.onenineteenboise.com/

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 2:52 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
Construction to start on condos at 10th and Grove streets in Downtown Boise

Developers will break ground this Thursday, April 2 on a 26-unit condominium project at 10th and Grove streets in Downtown Boise.
Prospect Companies and Sawtooth Development are undertaking the $9.5 million One Nineteen project.. Homes will sell from the high $300,000s to the mid-$900,000s.
Boise’s CSHQA Architects designed the condos with two- and three-bedroom floor plans, 10-foot ceilings in most units and 18-foot ceilings in sixth-floor penthouse units. The condos will have decks.
The building is expected to be completed in spring 2016. Boise’s CSDI Construction Inc. will build it. The developers say the construction work will employ about 500 people.
Boise Mayor Dave Bieter will take part in the groundbreaking at 2 p.m. Thursday. Sales are being handled by Urban Concepts and Century 21 Magellan Realty.

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2015/0...#storylink=cpy

Rendering from: www.onenineteenboise.com/

Sales office about finished on 10th near alley in office building they are remodeling.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West