HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
You make a good point, but I have to wonder if you'd feel the same if your mom died in your arms because some asshole who wasn't careful served your mom her salad.
This could happen literally every day of your life pre pandemic!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 11:57 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonDev View Post
Not sure if you'd consider them "retail", but are there any leads as to where sky zone may be moving to?
No word whatsoever.

I personally do not expect them to reopen (if at all) until after the pandemic is over.

Maybe next year.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 1:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Not really retail related, but in these times of COVID, we are starved for news, and this business will be opening in a retail CRU in the Plaza Boulevard Centre.

Apparently a new math tutoring service, Mathnasium, will be opening soon in the former Motherhood Maternity location on Plaza Blvd.

https://www.mathnasium.ca/moncton?ut...c__syqOS9ZkerI

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 3:43 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

This article in Retail-Insider indicates that there may be some more choppy waters ahead for CF Champlain:

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...tx-3W-eMGxTlJk

Groupe Dynamite out of Montreal has filed for creditor protection. They operate both Dynamite and Garage, which both have stores at the mall. The article also mentions that the owners of mens clothier Ernest have also filed for bankruptcy protection. They also are located at CF Champlain.

Groupe Dynamite intends to keep operating, and are only intending to rationalize their store count during restructuring, so one or both of their stores at CF Champlain may survive. The situation for Ernest is less certain. An issue here is that in all my visits to the mall since this store has opened, I have never seen a customer inside it. Garage on the other hand seems quite popular at CF Champlain. I think Dynamite does OK too.

Of the three, I think Ernest is at highest risk, and will likely close...........

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 4:55 AM

I noticed today in the old Seven C's building on Mountain Rd that there is an "Opening Soon" sign and "Mama Supermarket" up on the building.

I found their website. It looks like it's grocery leaning towards Asian tastes. You can buy online and have delivery.
https://mamama.ca/

Last edited by Colouratura; Sep 12, 2020 at 6:41 AM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 12:36 PM

The future doesn't look good for CF Champlain indeed, in the short or medium term anyway. Champlain needs to change their game plan and fast; they need to attract retailers that are still strong during this retail apocalypse; Winners, Dollarama or even local retailers, entertainment and food venues, all things CF shunned in the past, Champlain is no Yorkdale. The future is not in the jewelry, underwear and beauty industry, not in a mall setting anyway. The Champlain needs to reinvent itself, like yesterday.

We could use a second location of Winners in Moncton; Marshalls and Winners are both very busy at all times. A new Dieppe location would be welcome.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Sep 9, 2020 at 12:58 PM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 1:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
We could use a second location of Winners in Moncton; Marshalls and Winners are both very busy at all times. A new Dieppe location would be welcome.
I agree with you. With a CMA population of about 155,000, I think Moncton is large enough for two Marshall's and two Winners. There is also a fairly longstanding tradition of retailers in this market having separate locations for the west end and east end of the metropolitan area.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 1:40 PM

Since CF Champlain has been focusing on being a fashion mall for the last few years, they are getting hit hard by this retail apocalypse.

I agree with OUIR@random... Time for diversification. I'm an example of someone who went to the mall frequently years ago, but have no desire to go there now.

Opening up to a dollar store, Marshalls, or smaller local stores (I know, rent is high) should bring more people in there.

How about a sit down restaurant along the lines of Don Cherrys' again? It's a good chance to design one for social distancing.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrhardt View Post
Since CF Champlain has been focusing on being a fashion mall for the last few years, they are getting hit hard by this retail apocalypse.

I agree with OUIR@random... Time for diversification. I'm an example of someone who went to the mall frequently years ago, but have no desire to go there now.

Opening up to a dollar store, Marshalls, or smaller local stores (I know, rent is high) should bring more people in there.

How about a sit down restaurant along the lines of Don Cherrys' again? It's a good chance to design one for social distancing.
There's no doubt that Champlain Place needs to adjust to the changing retail landscape. It will be interesting to see how they respond. Another idea is to incorporate residential units into the mix, which is a trend in other locations. I'd have to think that apartments with direct access to the mall would be very popular, and diversify their sources of revenue.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 8:41 PM

So it appears that Fairweather (inside CF Champlain) is closed again. Apparently they haven't been paying rent, so security came in there and told the employees to finish up and to leave. They've changed the locks on them. So I think it's unknown right now if they will re-open again or not. I guess it depends on if head office pays CF the rent they're behind on.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1690...8588454040515/

UPDATE (Sept.11th, 2020): Apparently they've re-opened again. Head office and CF must of got things sorted out now.

Last edited by DyAm00394; Sep 11, 2020 at 3:18 PM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 6:08 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The new McDonald's on Granite Drive is apparently opening on September 14th.

This is McDonald's #10 for greater Moncton (if you include the two Walmart outlets).

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 12:52 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

A little good news for CF Champlain.

Just Cozy will soon be opening in the former Cazza Petites location. This has always been a seasonal pop-up in the pre-Christmas season, but before the retail shutdown at the beginning of the pandemic, there were rumours floating around that Just Cozy was considering a permanent location at CF Champlain. It will be interesting to see if this new store is another pop-up, or a permanent location.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
So it appears that Fairweather (inside CF Champlain) is closed again. Apparently they haven't been paying rent, so security came in there and told the employees to finish up and to leave. They've changed the locks on them. So I think it's unknown right now if they will re-open again or not. I guess it depends on if head office pays CF the rent they're behind on.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1690...8588454040515/

UPDATE: Apparently they've re-opened again. Head office and CF must of got things sorted out now.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 10:21 PM

Just Cozy is Now Open (at the former Cazza Petite spot) inside CF Champlain.

Photo is from Retail Talk & Share NB.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 2:06 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good news!!!

David's Tea is now profitable!

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/davi...ures-1.5114109

This might auger well for the continued future of the store at CF Champlain, the last David's Tea in Atlantic Canada.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
This article in Retail-Insider indicates that there may be some more choppy waters ahead for CF Champlain:

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...tx-3W-eMGxTlJk

Groupe Dynamite out of Montreal has filed for creditor protection. They operate both Dynamite and Garage, which both have stores at the mall. The article also mentions that the owners of mens clothier Ernest have also filed for bankruptcy protection. They also are located at CF Champlain.

Groupe Dynamite intends to keep operating, and are only intending to rationalize their store count during restructuring, so one or both of their stores at CF Champlain may survive. The situation for Ernest is less certain. An issue here is that in all my visits to the mall since this store has opened, I have never seen a customer inside it. Garage on the other hand seems quite popular at CF Champlain. I think Dynamite does OK too.

Of the three, I think Ernest is at highest risk, and will likely close...........
CF Champlain needs to rethink its "high end" approach, Ernest was ridiculously expensive (think $100+ for a single shirt) and right now that is not personally some where I'd be shopping (nor many people I know).
I agree that them taking out a 'sit down' restaurant with outside access was a huge mistake in their model and there may be some open spaces to rectify that in the near future.
I've been in the mall once in 2020, and that was only because I had a gift card I couldn't use anywhere else, otherwise I have no need to go there.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo1 View Post
CF Champlain needs to rethink its "high end" approach, Ernest was ridiculously expensive (think $100+ for a single shirt) and right now that is not personally some where I'd be shopping (nor many people I know).
I agree that them taking out a 'sit down' restaurant with outside access was a huge mistake in their model and there may be some open spaces to rectify that in the near future.
I've been in the mall once in 2020, and that was only because I had a gift card I couldn't use anywhere else, otherwise I have no need to go there.
Multiple malls all over Canada have been in the process of transforming themselves into mixed use developments. Residential towers are a common element in these redevelopments. There are some spectacular examples I've looked at in the Toronto & Vancouver areas. It would be obvious that Cadillac Fairview is aware of this trend of creating additional revenue streams. Will they rethink their Champlain Place business plan and do a redevelopment of the mall?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Multiple malls all over Canada have been in the process of transforming themselves into mixed use developments. Residential towers are a common element in these redevelopments. There are some spectacular examples I've looked at in the Toronto & Vancouver areas. It would be obvious that Cadillac Fairview is aware of this trend of creating additional revenue streams. Will they rethink their Champlain Place business plan and do a redevelopment of the mall?
CF for sure gets that, as many of their other properties across Canada have plans to add residential or have already done it. Whether that will happen with Champlain probably remains to be seen. We did have a discussion a while back on here about where on the property people thought would be good locations for a tower or 2.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
CF for sure gets that, as many of their other properties across Canada have plans to add residential or have already done it. Whether that will happen with Champlain probably remains to be seen. We did have a discussion a while back on here about where on the property people thought would be good locations for a tower or 2.
The apartment demand is very strong in the Moncton area, which I'm sure CF would also know. I think that units attached to the mall would be snapped up pretty quickly. Being able to get into the elevator, go down and walk into the mall would be very appealing to lots of people. I'd like to see it happen, it would be a really nice development project for the city. What location on the property would be best, I'm not sure.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 12:12 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
A really good example of this is the proposed and current transformation going on at Gloucester Centre in Ottawa. It's a pretty suburban mall with better parking lot amenities (Cineplex, Chapters) than mall amenities (a food court, Bulk Barn, and select clothing stores). A lot of this development is TOD (transito-oriented) thanks to the new Confederation Line LRT connecting to the mall, but it's an example of what suburban mall-residential can look like.

Being built currently:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post

Photo by me
April 26, 2020
Proposed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
1980 Ogilvie Rd | 94m | 30f | ProposedSite:

Renderings:

Ultimate use of lands:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces