HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 3:30 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan ryan View Post
Has anything replaced Topshop/Topman yet? Seemed like a thriving fast fashion chain, was surprised to see them bail on the US. I have a few nice things from them.
I was always confused by Topshop/Topman. It always felt like someone tried to combine H&M and Barney's. There'd be some really cheap, stylish stuff, but then high-priced stuff, with not much in between. I can't be the only person who felt confused by them. I also do have a few nice things from them, too, but I just didn't understand it.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 4:22 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post

Nice density, but if they could somehow make it look less cheap and less 2019 they would be doing the neighborhood a real favor for the future.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan ryan View Post
Idk, it's kind of fun. Do you really think the store will fail?

Our first priority should be the Burberry store.
Agreed there.

The Crate and Barrell store is garish and the proportions are bad. Its clunky and mall like and I didnt like it when it opened and still don't. Some here like it. Different strokes..

But in a classic and cultured city having 'The World's Largest Starbucks'? That's for other places imo.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 6:21 PM

While I would like to see most of the non-landmarked buildings on Michigan Ave eventually replaced with beautiful high-rises, I am not opposed to corporate brands reinventing themselves with new concepts and testing them in our city. Chicago USED TO BE a (the) center of innovation in this country. A more extravagant Starbucks by itself is not going to change that image, but these new concepts/structures/retail + dining experiences (McDonalds in River North, the MacBook shaped Apple Store on the river or the Starbucks version of Willy Wonka on Mich. Ave are a start.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
While I would like to see most of the non-landmarked buildings on Michigan Ave eventually replaced with beautiful high-rises, I am not opposed to corporate brands reinventing themselves with new concepts and testing them in our city. Chicago USED TO BE a (the) center of innovation in this country. A more extravagant Starbucks by itself is not going to change that image, but these new concepts/structures/retail + dining experiences (McDonalds in River North, the MacBook shaped Apple Store on the river or the Starbucks version of Willy Wonka on Mich. Ave are a start.
Your point is totally valid. However I personally prefer when its Chicago ideas and companies. McDonalds gets a pass. But I don't like the Apple Store at all. I'll visit the Starbucks in December when I'm in town next and try to reserve judgement until then.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 6:59 PM
TL;DR

^ The Starbucks Roastery is very tastefully done, with legitimately good pastries, pizza, and experimental/advanced coffee drinks, and good architecture. I don't think it's any more hokey than Eataly, for example.

The "world's largest" claim gets a lot of press, but that really misses the point entirely IMO.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
I was at the opening of the first SBUX Reserve in Shanghai. It was a total gimmicky retail experience then and I'm sure two years later it's even worse. The interior design was top notch. The offerings went well beyond what a typical Starbucks offers. The production floor and educational vignettes were cool, you could point your phone at things and it would explain the process. At the end of the day however I was completely aware I was in a giant retail commercial, like a rain forest cafe for adults, and the whole thing stank of a misguided attempt to stay relevant in fading consumerist era we are moving away from not towards. It seemed far more relevant in China than the States. Maybe I'm just getting old and a bit of a curmudgeon but at the end of the day who wants to drink coffee with a thousand tourists? It's the antithesis of coffee culture. These food halls on the other hand are very European in concept and I think going to be ultimately successful. This could have made a great food hall / market.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 10:23 PM
urbanpln

Eataly has a kinda food hall vibe, and I totally agree this would have made a great food hall concept. Michigan Avenue seems to be diversifying. There are more eat/drink options than it was 5-10 years ago.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 11:05 PM

Sears Redevelopment from Above

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc2 View Post
Sears Redevelopment from Above

This makes me so happy.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 4:05 AM
BANNED

^It is so great. A tremendous improvement.

But can someone please tell me what more we’ll be seeing for the $500 million investment? I know there’s an observation deck component.. I am just secretly holding out hope they reclad the tower like was once planned. Just imagine that new smoke glass and shiny black millions going all the way up!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 4:39 AM
Small but Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post

But can someone please tell me what more we’ll be seeing for the $500 million investment? I know there’s an observation deck component.. I am just secretly holding out hope they reclad the tower like was once planned. Just imagine that new smoke glass and shiny black millions going all the way up!
Wait a second. Didn't you just call out skysoar for arguing the same thing, just on a different building? Not to call you out but. . . . I got to. Anyway, why don't we just call it a day and leave the cladding alone?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 2:15 PM

Quote:

WTF no, the Sears needs no updating or "improvement" aside from the base.

The $500 million is likely mostly stuff you will never see like HVAC, electrical, and plumbing upgrades. What do you think a new electrical service costs for a building of this scale? How many thousands of tons of AC does this building require? That ain't cheap. I'm looking at a $1.5 million bill to install an RTU and trunk lines (no distribution even) for a 80,000 SF building. Now multiply that by like 50+ times to get a cost for Sears...

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0 View Post
I was at the opening of the first SBUX Reserve in Shanghai. It was a total gimmicky retail experience then and I'm sure two years later it's even worse. The interior design was top notch. The offerings went well beyond what a typical Starbucks offers. The production floor and educational vignettes were cool, you could point your phone at things and it would explain the process. At the end of the day however I was completely aware I was in a giant retail commercial, like a rain forest cafe for adults, and the whole thing stank of a misguided attempt to stay relevant in fading consumerist era we are moving away from not towards. It seemed far more relevant in China than the States. Maybe I'm just getting old and a bit of a curmudgeon but at the end of the day who wants to drink coffee with a thousand tourists? It's the antithesis of coffee culture. These food halls on the other hand are very European in concept and I think going to be ultimately successful. This could have made a great food hall / market.
If they had plopped this thing in the West Loop I might be inclined to agree with some of this criticism but they didn't. It's on Michigan where a gimmicky retail experience is more appropriate IMO. I have only been to the NYC Roastery so far (will go to Chicago's when I'm back next week) but I have to agree with the comparison to Eataly based on what I've seen. The products were quality and the store design itself was top damn notch. My not easily impressed husband was along who has been deep in the retail world with a higher end company for many years was blown away by the design.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
WTF no, the Sears needs no updating or "improvement" aside from the base.

The $500 million is likely mostly stuff you will never see like HVAC, electrical, and plumbing upgrades. What do you think a new electrical service costs for a building of this scale? How many thousands of tons of AC does this building require? That ain't cheap. I'm looking at a $1.5 million bill to install an RTU and trunk lines (no distribution even) for a 80,000 SF building. Now multiply that by like 50+ times to get a cost for Sears...
To say nothing about the elevator systems overhaul, which had to be its own massive capital investment.

I've been walking around the interior of the new podium, watching as they add new furniture and light fixtures, surprised at each newly opened area. They're doing an amazing job, and the vendors that are already opened are slammed during lunch.

Plus, the 33rd floor amenity floor, which is 4-ish years old, is amazing. They've done a superb job with this icon.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 3:04 PM
tilted & shifted

North Michigan Avenue is aglow for the holidays but some stores are more ‘meh’ than magnificent

By Blair Kamin
Chicago Tribune

When it comes to architecture, some of the flagship stores on Chicago’s Magnificent Mile are a lot less magnificent than others.

Apple and the new Starbucks Reserve Roastery Chicago — thumbs up! Disney and Burberry — a poke in the eye.

With the Mag Mile stretch of North Michigan Avenue about to be packed with holiday shoppers, the time is right to separate the good designs from the flops among the Mag Mile’s flagships.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/colum...p3VqAzGX4MgTEc

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 9:00 PM

I think the only bad thing here is poorly done updates on the Mag mile or lack thereof. Disney store should be 3 floors and be an experience. 600 North and Chicago Place were considered good buildings in the 90’s. Slightly garish exaggeration in their details, but not clumsy. It’s just the tenant build-outs made them worse.

Burberry’s facade has survived a few Chicago winters and stood up well. That has to earn some points.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 11:26 PM

I thought I remember seeing somwhere that the entire. sears elevator system overhaul was somewhere in the 90 million ballpark. I might have misread that awile back

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 3:32 AM

I like the Burberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
is the Burberry that bad?...its fairly new and thought added a bit of excitment to the mag mile... Tear down the intertercontinetal north tower (this was proposed awhile back to be replaced by 850ft tower)
People don't like the Burberry building? How could you dislike that? And how could you dislike the new Starbucks?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 7:00 PM

Quote:

Besides the base and the amenities therein the remainder went to upgrades to the HVAC system, the plumbing, and the new elevator system (new generators, control equipment (now using a destination dispatch system), and refreshed cabins. There's no plan to do anything to the exterior cladding of the tower.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development