HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 2:00 AM

Many, many floors tutorial.

This is my tutorial on how to add many, many floors to a skyscraper that may have a somewhat awkward shape. I recently added 205 floors to one of my skyscrapers. In this tutorial I will show you how to save a boat load of time when it comes to not only adding bulk quantities of floors, but also adding textures.

First let's start by making a shape. I chose an awkward shape to demonstrate how flexible these floors can be.

Next up, we will make a very large square that exceeds the width and length of the skyscraper. Notice that I made this piece about two feet thick. This thickness will be the thickness of the finished floor, so you can input any thickness you want or need.

You can't see it in my Kerky render, but I decided to create some construction lines from which to site my pillars. You don't need to put all the floors in at the same time, so you could gradually put in a dozen floors at a time with different pillar setups if you choose. Pillars can be swapped out for any other support depending upon what you want.

One important thing to consider is that the height of these pillars will represent the amount of space between floors.

Because the glass I have coated the building with is reflective (and thus hard to see unless I cluttered the model with something to reflect against), I have moved to an un-rendered view to show texture. Now is a good time to add textures to at least the floors and optionally the tower itself.

Before moving on, select the floor and make it a component. After that, do the same thing to the tower.

Using construction lines to accurately place the floor, put the floor component directly into the skyscraper, ensuring that the pillars are located were they would provide the most support and be the most aesthetically pleasing.

Using the move command, one can hold control to copy floor components and move them up to make the actual floors with the desired space (defined by the pillars) between each floor. The very top floor can be right clicked and made unique so you can go in and delete the pillars of just that specific component instead of editing all of the floors. This way nothing juts out of the top of the skyscraper.

Select everything. Right click>explode to make all the components return to being regular models. Do not de-select. Everything should still be selected. Right click>intersect>intersect with model.

DON'T PANIC.

Your computer might freeze up for a minute because intersecting geometry can be pretty intense for some reason. Take your hands off the keyboard and let it just sit there until it either finishes intersecting or crashes. I only learned about this when I was building my 205 story, 8 sided giant and left it alone after it froze up to go eat food, only to return thirty minutes later to discover that it had done the job. Hopefully it works, but the important thing is patience.

Hopefully you have made it to this point. Delete all the extra floor space. Texture in thesides of the floors, depending on the size and complexity of the shape, putting textures on the sides might be the most tedious thing.

Start adding additional details like doors and rooving. Using this intersecting method, one could also add thickness to the walls of the skyscraper beforehand. Try different things and tell me what you think.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 8:59 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Anyone try Sketchup 7.1 yet?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 9:36 PM

just updated today to 7.1 so
along with that I deleted all my sketchup
and kerky files....so I have a clean slate
with 7.1 which I havnt used yet.Hoping
that it dosnt crash as much as I seemed
to have less problems with sketchup 6.
Sketchup 7 resulted in more bug splats for
me......theres no harm in updating to 7.1
and maybe having a cold can of cider.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 2:56 AM

Has anyone tried my tutorial? Is it making sense?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 8:20 AM

I'm using SU 7.1 and have been about a week without any problems. I also upgraded to the new Kerkythea exporter yesterday and that seems very good as well.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 2:12 AM
Total Egghead

Thank you - ever so much, Krases for this helpful tutorial.

--It did work for me-- Sort of like doing boolean, hmm, just learned something. I'm glad I came back.

I'll definitely bookmark this tip. ;-)

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 9:59 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Krases's tutorial is good. What happens when you want to create 1000 floors though, will you copy and paste 1000 times, taking you forever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foun10Head-X View Post
Hey, I second that. I'd be interested too since I been doing it the complex way myself.

And thank you, Krases for your response.

I may post an image of what I did later on in the week.

I'm having a devil of a time trying to use malec's method of typing the "*70" to a component, still can't work rings around that. Is it copy, then ctrl then the *70? I'm stumped...

Oh well, it's good to learn.
There is no CTRL and *70 at the same time. If you read the first turorial here you'll see that first of all, you copy one floor and move the copy on top. Once you have the two floors stacked on top of each other as you want, DO NOT click on anything. Now type *70 and press enter. This will repeat what you last did but 70 times.

There's a tutorial somewhere on the sketchup website showing a quick way of creating lots of pillars or something using something similar but using / instead of *. Here if you have a pillar, copy and paste one a certain distance away, then type /X, you will get X-1 copies between the two. Here X is any number so say you type /10, you will get 9 extra copies.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 4:46 PM
Total Egghead

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
There is no CTRL and *70 at the same time. If you read the first turorial here you'll see that first of all, you copy one floor and move the copy on top. Once you have the two floors stacked on top of each other as you want, DO NOT click on anything. Now type *70 and press enter. This will repeat what you last did but 70 times.

There's a tutorial somewhere on the sketchup website showing a quick way of creating lots of pillars or something using something similar but using / instead of *. Here if you have a pillar, copy and paste one a certain distance away, then type /X, you will get X-1 copies between the two. Here X is any number so say you type /10, you will get 9 extra copies.
Thanks, malec, I got that down pat. I appreciate it.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 12:14 AM

So I am looking into a new computer(likely a laptop), I dont use SU as much as I used to but I am considering that when I look, I was wondering If something like This would run SU pretty good?

This is what I am currnetly running,Compaq presario 6000 from 2001

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 2:08 AM

na... get an macbook, greatest thing ever.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 9:49 PM
HERO

this will most definiatley be a newb question. but im looking to starting a sketchup city. i now have the terrain on which i am going to build the city and was wondering how to get a screen shot of it from sketch to a thread i will start on here. is this what kerkythea or whatever is for? sorry for the lame question.. but i need to figure it out lol

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 12:38 AM
Charismatic Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plompy Lfeata View Post
this will most definiatley be a newb question. but im looking to starting a sketchup city. i now have the terrain on which i am going to build the city and was wondering how to get a screen shot of it from sketch to a thread i will start on here. is this what kerkythea or whatever is for? sorry for the lame question.. but i need to figure it out lol
lrn2google

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plompy Lfeata View Post
Kerkythea is for making your models really nice looking and for adding light. It allows you to save pictures after each render and you can then upload those pictures to a imagehost like photobucket, imageshack or any other imagehost.

They you would post the image here using the linking code you get from your imagehost.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 6:49 AM
HERO

Quote:
Kerkythea is for making your models really nice looking and for adding light. It allows you to save pictures after each render and you can then upload those pictures to a imagehost like photobucket, imageshack or any other imagehost.

They you would post the image here using the linking code you get from your imagehost.
thank you, this is more what i was asking anyway, about getting the affects on here and stuff, appreciate it

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 7:17 PM

Just a question when someone does a 3D building on Google Earth like say the Seattle Space Needle do they do that free hand on Google Sketchup? or use some kind of model how is that done exactly?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 1:01 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Most of the complicated structures are made my google.

There's two possibilities
a) workers made these models and place them into the system
b) a special software creates these models & places them in the system

i think (a) is more likely since these buildings look better than most of the ones that are made with option (b)

Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 3:53 PM

Yeah i've been thinking about trying to make some buildings with Sketchup but i'm not an architect and not a very good drawer unless it's something I can trace lol

Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 7:49 PM

Please first can you tell me that what is google sketchup??? I don't know about it...

Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 8:21 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopDownLite View Post
Please first can you tell me that what is google sketchup??? I don't know about it...
Google SKetchup is a software(Yes it's free) that you can create buildings(single or complex like a city) or objects.It's also VERY easy to understand.

Hope this helps.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 8:23 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopDownLite View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Anyone try Sketchup 7.1 yet?
Is it good?????

BTW I can't find it.All I can find is Sketchup 7(which I have)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup