HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

View Poll Results: Railway Station
Citi Station 7 43.75%
Johnson Station 9 56.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 10:21 PM
World Machine

One could say that this is essentially a seasonal part of the forum. The thing is that those who carried it a couple years ago are in a position now where their main responsibilities and obligations are not limited to the school year. That can sure be said about me; short of posting here I haven’t touched sketch-up in months simply because I have either not the time or feel guilty that I should be doing something more constructive.

May – August seems to be the primetime (if there is such a thing) for this part of the forum.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 11:42 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
One could say that this is essentially a seasonal part of the forum. The thing is that those who carried it a couple years ago are in a position now where their main responsibilities and obligations are not limited to the school year. That can sure be said about me; short of posting here I haven’t touched sketch-up in months simply because I have either not the time or feel guilty that I should be doing something more constructive.

May – August seems to be the primetime (if there is such a thing) for this part of the forum.
And christmas if it counts...........

We need all the old fourmers again.....

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 8:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota74 View Post
so m.k i dont understand why
you dont have sketch up...?
yeah T74, i have it, but in other Laptop i can't use it now, those reasons:

1- it is downloaded in the other laptop still packed again, after move, furniture is not totally done to unpack it again.

2- i am using in meanwhile my wife's one, much smaller and less capacity. I don't even know if she allows me to download much here and i don't want to heat her one.

3- I tried using SU, but found for something much more difficult than other 3D Modellers, like Catia and others modelling splines, intersections, forms and free form surfaces. Other problems with texture and materials. I would like to apply chrome in all exterior surfaces of my towers projects, but SU is too rudimentary for that comparing to others. Forms are more difficult to shape as well.

4- I have 2 big projects in my mind i could do in my contest, but at home i can't develop them...

5- After losing Editor position, i am carefull here, in my participation.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 8:36 PM
World Machine

The prime forumers who made up the fall 06’ – summer 08’ sketch-up peak include:

Patrick, foxmbtr, CGII, Boris2k7, Boiseairport, Mocholate, Dac150, Austin55, Alekso01, rbowk, verticalextropy, Peter, FlyerFan118, Tanster, mikeR and treras93

Others who stopped by here and there include:

Tasco47, Exodus, DanE008, Mr.D, rural, wtncffts, Dear Leader VI, cur_sed, texcolo, Coldrsx and FREKI

What was great about that stretch was that every one of those forumers mentioned had at least one active city which would receive updates on a near daily basis. Everyone was familiar with every city and everyone. You were pretty much guaranteed discussions and updates every few minutes (especially during summer 07’). It was certainly cool.

Like I pointed out, pretty much everyone but a few of those mentioned above actively visit this part of the forum, let alone the forum as a whole. Most have fallen off the face of the Earth. The only ones who still stop by from the ‘boom period’ include me, Aleks, Austin55 and occasionally Mo and Patrick.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 11:06 PM

What happended to Peter? He hasn't logged on since last year, won't answer his emails and hasn't done anything on 3d warehouse.

One thing I liked was that there was maybe 2 pages of threads, and when a new one was started it was a big deal, and now it happens daily.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 11:13 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin55 View Post
What happended to Peter?
I remember him popping up briefly a while ago to give a few posts but I haven’t heard from him since (yeah, that was definitely a year ago). He was a good contributor and made some great cities. Otahita was one of my favorite cities to follow at the time, and it had a great storyline.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 12:46 AM

Quote:
The prime forumers who made up the fall 06’ – summer 08’ sketch-up peak include:

Patrick, foxmbtr, CGII, Boris2k7, Boiseairport, Mocholate, Dac150, Austin55, Alekso01, rbowk, verticalextropy, Peter, FlyerFan118, Tanster, mikeR and treras93

Others who stopped by here and there include:

Tasco47, Exodus, DanE008, Mr.D, rural, wtncffts, Dear Leader VI, cur_sed, texcolo, Coldrsx and FREKI

What was great about that stretch was that every one of those forumers mentioned had at least one active city which would receive updates on a near daily basis. Everyone was familiar with every city and everyone. You were pretty much guaranteed discussions and updates every few minutes (especially during summer 07’). It was certainly cool.

Like I pointed out, pretty much everyone but a few of those mentioned above actively visit this part of the forum, let alone the forum as a whole. Most have fallen off the face of the Earth. The only ones who still stop by from the ‘boom period’ include me, Aleks, Austin55 and occasionally Mo and Patrick.
I completely agree.

Thanks for including me this forum has really been a second home to me even though I might not post too often.

Something strange happened to me: I remember doing a model of a Hotel, one of my first entries, if not the first serious entry, and I believe it's been, for me, down the slope design-wise. I did get better SU skills, but I still couldn't come up with something that actually convinces me the way that Fairwinds Hotel did.

On your "wasting time". I feel similarly, but consider that everybody that is productive and purposeful, needs a time off, preferably a cumulative activity, that kind of bonsais for his mind, his long term ambitions.

This is a great SHORT essay regarding stamp collecting that fits our situation perfectly

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 3:33 AM

I just had a cool idea for a competition. Rather simple actually.

http://www.re-burbia.com/2009/08/04/...epair-toolkit/

Scroll down to the project gallery. I think it would be cool to go on google maps, select a classic example of regular suburban sprawl and repair it.

Eh?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 6:52 PM
World Machine

That makes a lot of sense and seems very apparent given that people started moving off of cities and into individual projects. They kept the hobby but transformed it into something of a different course. Then after that it all started disappearing. I agree, my interest in this will always be strong, but I’ve developed many other interests in a short time that in many ways over shadow this (definitely for the better).

I can’t say I will ever go back to playing around with sketch-up as much as I used to, but I will definitely toy around with it again.

That’s just it though; many of the fourmers that I’ve mentioned in my post above have definitely moved on to ‘better’ (in a maturity sense) things. I certainly have, and it’s great.

Point is for those newcomers here who are waiting for the old timers to awaken, I wouldn’t hold your breath. Those days are definitely over, so it’s up to you what direction you want this part of the forum to go in.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 7:25 PM

Quote:
That makes a lot of sense
Yes, even though she was crazy, she also wrote about almost every subject with a clarity and viewpoint unparalleled at the time.

Quote:
Those days are definitely over, so it’s up to you what direction you want this part of the forum to go in.
Yes, they are. But when I joined the forum I wasn't thrilled by individual buildings, but by the actual cities all of you guys had going. There are plenty of forums where people posts their individual 3d creations, this was another thing.

As for me, I see it very long term, and I haven't actually finished a complete neighborhood of a city, so until I slowly reach that I'll keep modelling maybe a couple of hours a week.

Maybe SSP-R will be the answer.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 7:43 PM

My biggest reasons for quiting sketchup,

-slow movement, loading times.
At one point I could run trinity city entirely, now running a single block is troublesome, problems with white outs and z-flash from textures doing weird things also made working in sketchup extremely frustrating.

-The forum slowed
as is being disscussed

-Highschool and band
outside life, marching band practices 10 hours a week, football games on Friday till 11, compitions on Saturday with 15 hour schedules, constant homework, and what little free time I have is spent with freinds, or messing around on my "land".

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 8:15 PM

My biggest reasons for quiting sketchup,

-slow movement, loading times.
At one point I could run trinity city entirely, now running a single block is troublesome, problems with white outs and z-flash from textures doing weird things also made working in sketchup extremely frustrating.

-The forum slowed
as is being disscussed

-Highschool and band
outside life, marching band practices 10 hours a week, football games on Friday till 11, compitions on Saturday with 15 hour schedules, constant homework, and what little free time I have is spent with freinds, or messing around on my "land".

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 9:45 PM

Sketchup has also given me some problems. A minute ago I told sketchup to intersect roughly 300 floors I had made with my tower. It "whited out" for about fifteen minutes until it finished intersecting.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 10:35 PM

The white outs arreannooying, as are the gradients that occur on the textures or the z flashs on the right hand side of the menus when you open them up.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 12:01 AM

I even wonder if it is a lack of computer power that causes it or if its a limit on the software. I plan on upgrading my computer sometime in the next few months and I really want these limitations to go away.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 12:13 AM
Charismatic Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krases View Post
I even wonder if it is a lack of computer power that causes it or if its a limit on the software. I plan on upgrading my computer sometime in the next few months and I really want these limitations to go away.
Core i7 Also, Sketchup requires almost no graphics card interaction so you won't need to spend much money on that.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup