HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Australia

Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 10:04 AM
A before E

Brisbane Bridge Question

Okay, lets see if anyone here can shed some light on this question, why isnt Brisbane the bridge city of Australia? One would think with the way the river winds through the city, that there would be bridges crossing it all up and down it, but instead there is a very limited number of bridges. My first guess would be that it must be a pain there if you ever have to cross the river because there is a good chance you would have to go out of your way to do it, but I could be totally wrong.

Anyone care to take a stab at this?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
why isnt Brisbane the bridge city of Australia? One would think with the way the river winds through the city, that there would be bridges crossing it all up and down it, but instead there is a very limited number of bridges.
The CBD is confined to the northern side of the river. Brisbane is a relatively young city, and has only started high rise construction in the '70s. The three major bridges served the city very well during that time.

Quote:
My first guess would be that it must be a pain there if you ever have to cross the river because there is a good chance you would have to go out of your way to do it, but I could be totally wrong.
The city has grown incrediablly quickly in the last 20 years. The river crossings reached their peak some time ago. The wonderful ferries help somewhat, and offer the most to tourists.

The Brisbane City Council is the largest council in the southern hemisphere - so has some serious dollars.

BCC, the State Government and private consortiums are building/ just finished:
  • $2B inner city road bridge at West End,
  • $1B inner city pedestrian bridge at North Quay,
  • $2B inner city bridge at Eagle St Pier,
  • $4.5B road tunnel under the river,
  • $4B bridge duplication out at the airport
  • $2B bus tunnel network under the CBD

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 5:30 PM
A before E

now that was the answer I was looking for, thank you. Actually knowing that it is a really young city development wise, that makes sense why there is so few bridges. It will be interesting to see what their bridge architecture is going to look like over the years because they are coming into it at such a modern and contemporary point.

Thank you for that.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
now that was the answer I was looking for, thank you.
No troubles.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 11:55 PM

I think BNE has quite a number of bridges crossing the river, especially near the CBD........... there are eight bridges within that bend of the CBD??

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Australia