HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 4:29 PM

it is taller than both by at least 30 feet i think so it will look good next to those two buildings, which still look good to me after 30 years...squat but nice looking still

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX-DUDE-MAN View Post
Nice! It's surprising that 28 floors only produces 316 feet.... But I know this is a residential building that's why.. Just wish this thing were taller.. Will it even be taller than the surrounding AZ Center buildings? Like APS building?
Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
it is taller than both by at least 30 feet i think so it will look good next to those two buildings, which still look good to me after 30 years...squat but nice looking still
The One and Two Arizona Center buildings are 240 and 260 feet respectively. That would make Palmtower 56-76 feet taller, so it should be noticeable, but also wish it was a little taller!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 9:54 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
The One and Two Arizona Center buildings are 240 and 260 feet respectively. That would make Palmtower 56-76 feet taller, so it should be noticeable, but also wish it was a little taller!
I've always questioned the listed heights of AZ Center's towers. Are we absolutely sure they are 240' and 260'? I wasn't here when they were built, so I don't have any numbers on them. But they look taller than that to me. Derby is 239' and One AZ Center (shorter tower) looks much taller than Derby when viewing from a distance.

Does anyone have any of the original documents from when they were proposed or built?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
I may be mistaken but wasn't Palmtower originally proposed at 32 floors?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 9:17 PM

Just an observation, Palm is really starting to get some height. More impressive from the street level than the webcams. The elevator core is about 1 floor above what appears to be a completed garage portion. So maybe around the 9th or 10th-ish floor.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2023, 12:35 AM

Looking west from Van Buren and 7th St

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 3:52 AM

A few photos of Palm today

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 6:21 PM

Palm Towers height was 10 stories on Dec. 1st. So 1.5 months later its at 15. With 15 floors to go it will likely be topped out by May.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 4:52 PM

That amenity deck on the 6th floor looks pretty cool. It will be north facing and guarded by the tower so I wonder how much sun it will get? Maybe that's the point

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiEncanto View Post
That amenity deck on the 6th floor looks pretty cool. It will be north facing and guarded by the tower so I wonder how much sun it will get? Maybe that's the point
Could be. During the summer, some pools with direct southern or western exposure get too warm to really cool down in.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiEncanto View Post
Outdoor spaces here are usable year round if they are shaded.Throw in some heaters for chilly winter evenings and its no problem.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_daniel View Post
Outdoor spaces here are usable year round if they are shaded.Throw in some heaters for chilly winter evenings and its no problem.
I cannot stand when people argue that the weather here is somehow too atrocious for walkable cities or outdoor amenities. By any measure more of our year is usable for outdoor activities than almost anywhere other than Sothern California or certain tropical places (excluding rain of course)

A few years ago, even the NYT did a study about cities with nice days which was between 65-85 without rain and Phoenix was ranked like number 6 in the country. If places like London which is chilly rain most of the year or better yet Minniapolis and Chicago with freezing temps for 5 months can be walkable why cant we?

it's just complete nonsense. Because its really hot for a few months between noon and 5 pm?

I only get more annoyed when A bunch of people move to Gilbert or Glendal and never come Downtown or to Tempe and talk about how there is no city vibe

Its like moving to Staten island and complaining that you thought NYC was urban. Its just dumb

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 4:47 PM

Palm Tower on a flight in

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 5:14 PM

Lord, Chase Field looks like a giant piece of fungus from the air...really hope they demolish that or seriously retrofit it someday...looks awful...bloated and unsightly and totally out of scale to the dimensions of the skyline. But I digress...Palm Court tower will look make a decent impact!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Lord, Chase Field looks like a giant piece of fungus from the air...really hope they demolish that or seriously retrofit it someday...looks awful...bloated and unsightly and totally out of scale to the dimensions of the skyline. But I digress...Palm Court tower will look make a decent impact!
I think the Suns arena remodel is the way. Far less expensive and yet the results are very satisfactory. Plus we keep them downtown. The Dbacks have 81 home games per year which is a nice steady draw for downtown during the slower summer season, plus a handful of other events like the bowl game. I think the stadium looks worse than it needs to right now because of the ongoing dispute between the team and the owner (the County). I bet $100m could modernize it and make it something we're proud of.

There has been talk of the Dbacks creating a 'theme park district' where they could essentially add a new sales tax on to everything they do inside the district that could be used to sell bonds against. Those bonds could be used to build out other projects like a tower on the north side, additions to the superstructure, or even possibly something more grand on the current old south convention hall (if the city wants to play ball). It's all pretty aspirational I think but they have a funding mechanism at least. Something like the Braves did where there's multiuse going on. I think I saw an idea where they add multifam on the north side sorta where the gym is now but with rooftop viewing of the games through the windows.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 5:48 PM

Quote:
For what it's worth I was fairly zoomed in and you only get a few seconds of the skyline in view to snag a photo, it looks smaller in real life but can't disagree that I hope for a nice remodel. Not sure that they would focus on the exterior much to be honest but maybe... here is one less zoomed in and without Chase in the view.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 5:52 PM

^ personally, just want to see less of a massing on roof...maybe getting rid of retractable element and just putting like slat blind element to regulate sunlight? do we really need an open air element? a flat roof and remodeled exterior would do wonders...just too damn big and a very of-a-time (late 90's) color scheme/materials is the problem.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 1:13 AM

Arizona Center Sign with Red Letters

You would think Arizona Center would poney up and pay a sign company to come out and put new red plex faces on those letters that say ARIZONA CENTER on that south elevation of that office building. Heelllooooo the Super Bowl festivities will be here in a few weeks can you please do something with those tacky looking broken faced letters. Not that expensive of a fix.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 5:13 PM

Palmtower will be one of the nicest looking high-rises in Phoenix. Love the all-glass design and no stucco like most.

On Dec 1. the project was at 10 floors, now at 18. So at 4 floors per month should be topped out by end of May!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
Palmtower will be one of the nicest looking high-rises in Phoenix. Love the all-glass design and no stucco like most.

On Dec 1. the project was at 10 floors, now at 18. So at 4 floors per month should be topped out by end of May!
It's funny how time changes perspective. When this was proposed 5 years ago, it felt very aspirational. That design? In Arizona Center? I remember a conversation with another developer who scoffed the project and guessed it wouldn't get built. And yet in 2023 it feels perfectly reasonable.

As we've said several times, we can only hope this project helps resurrect AZ Center. The list of retail and restaurants there seems to get smaller each year. Seems like it would be perfect for a smaller grocery now perhaps on the second floor.

I'll be honest, I had no idea it had a new venue called Drunk Shakespeare which looks pretty fun https://www.drunkshakespeare.com/welcome. It appears to be on the second floor above the old Hooters.

Does anyone know if Snell has been replaced yet?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest