HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 12:18 PM

Nothing transit wise will get done until this mayor is out of office. His ideas regarding transit have been in the Stoneage since day one. Even this proposal is dead in the water because it can't go anywhere without state cooperation because it would require dedicated lanes and the state does not allow that otherwise it is just another bus line stuck in traffic.

I have seen the BRT they have here, and those lines are right behind the regular bus lines stuck in the same traffic everyone else is stuck in. Buses here are a joke.

There is no dedicated funding system for any kind of mass transit system and Nashville is the largest city without a dedicated funding system in place.

Until the State & Nashville smoke a peace pipe with some kind of wacky weed in it to calm their nerves, nothing will ever happen to give Nashville a viable working solution.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 1:28 AM

Eleven N

There's so much constantly going on that it's hard to keep up, and this dropped out of nowhere this morning.

A three-tower announcement for a narrow sliver of land behind the Eleven North apartments on the north end of The Gulch. 47, 29, & 28 floors amongst them.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 7:45 PM

At this point, Nashville is in the top 5 for highrise construction in the U.S. as of right now! The UrbanPlanet development map is amazing to see.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altoic View Post
At this point, Nashville is in the top 5 for highrise construction in the U.S. as of right now! The UrbanPlanet development map is amazing to see.
Who are the other 4?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2023, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
Who are the other 4?
I can only think of three seeing comparable growth: NYC, Miami, Austin.

But based on population Nashville would have to be #1.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2023, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
I can only think of three seeing comparable growth: NYC, Miami, Austin.

But based on population Nashville would have to be #1.
I would also clump either Atlanta or Chicago as both have a large sum of U/C projects.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2023, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altoic View Post
I would also clump either Atlanta or Chicago as both have a large sum of U/C projects.
I think I would stick with Nashville, Miami and Austin as being the only US cities undergoing *transformational* booms.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2023, 3:45 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
...But based on population Nashville would have to be #1.
Huh?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2023, 3:46 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
I think I would stick with Nashville, Miami and Austin as being the only US cities undergoing *transformational* booms.
I agree. However, several of the NYC projects are truly "transforming" its skyline.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2023, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Huh?
That is a fair assessment considering the Metro population is only 2 million, the smallest of any of those cities on the list. The city population is a little over 700K and that is almost the entire county considering it is a Metro Gov. There are a few hold outs in the county that are not included in the Metro such as Belle Meade Berry Hill, & Goodlettsville.

The Metro area takes in a huge land area too of 7484 square miles. That is one of the larger MSA's in the country just to get to 2 million people.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvilleron View Post
We have a mayoral election in August with a dozen candidates right now. None of them have come out with a strong plan yet for mass transit yet. They are all trying tell everyone what they think the people want to hear and that is to stop the growth in a nutshell. Fifty % of the candidates are wack jobs and the others are pretty good people.

The problem is and they all know this is they cannot tell a developer they cannot build by rights what the property allows them to build. That is what the average person in Nashville seems to be upset about is all of the "high-rise" projects being built and the mayor cannot do squat about that. These candidates are calling it uncontrolled growth and a lot of it is taking place downtown in in the center of one of the candidate's districts and he has been a proponent of the growth.

Again, the main theme I am hearing is too much growth and too much homelessness, and housing cost. A little is being said about transit but no plan is out there. They are all in fear as to how much it will cost because it will take a huge tax increase and a few of the people are running on a tax reduction platform that will not work. The only way to fix housing cost and homelessness is through more construction. The state has mandated that affordable housing cannot be legislated into any housing projects by any form of law. The state has also mandated that state hwys. cannot be used as dedicated lanes for mass transit either. Since all of the main roads coming into the city center are state roads, mass transit is going to be a hard fix until the state is on board. TDOT is not going to allocate any funds for mass transit in Nashville or for that matter any major road construction s funds have to be evenly divided between the 3 grand divisions of the state and not where they are needed.

We have boneheads running our state!
They're saving the taxpayers money. Most excellent. Glad they're saying no to choo choo trains.

Last edited by cecilism; Jun 21, 2023 at 1:13 AM. Reason: error

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilism View Post
They're saving the taxpayers money. Most excellent. Glad they're saying no to choo choo trains.
Are you joking?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 2:09 AM

Based on the last debacle it’s Nashvillians, not politicians, who need to be convinced.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 6:04 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
Are you joking?
If only. He likes to pretend that trains are obsolete by claiming they are somehow outdated technology, even though the automobiles he wants to force everyone into using (because 'freedom' of course) is basically just a horse and buggy with a combustion engine.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 12:31 PM

Nashvillians really need to get onboard with including a rail system in as part of their mass transit system. Busing is not going to be sufficient long term. The longer Nashville waits to establish a rail commuter system the more expensive it will be and it will get harder to get communities to buy into it as the density keeps growing and more and more people argue the "not in my neighborhood" mentality. And, opposite of that, "the stops aren't on my street" mentality.

I live in the DC, Maryland, Virginia (DMV) metro area. While the Metro System here is poorly managed, I will say that without the Metro System, the area would be far worse than what it is in terms of traffic. This becomes apparent when just one of the Metro lines are down for either maintenance or some other reason. The trickle down impact to road traffic to include buses is felt all across the region. The DMV's Metro System is underutilized, but it is still a great benefit to the area. Pre-pandemic, the Metro System in the DMV averaged 626,000 riders per day. The Metro Bus System averaged 350,000 riders per day. That's just under a 1,000,000 riders using public transportation daily. Trust me when I say, if they did not, traffic in the DMV would be far worse than what it is and it is bad. Also, the Metro System has tie-ins with commuter "choo choo" trains that come into the DMV from distances as far away as Richmond, VA which is over 100 miles away and people who commute from parts of Delaware, Pennsylvania and West VA. There are also car-pool lots located near Metro Stations so car-poolers can drive to a Metro Station, park and use Metro to reduce the number of car poolers riding all the way into DC and other nearby areas like Alexandria, Arlington, Crystal City, Pentagon City, Bethesda, Silver Spring, etc.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 3:59 PM

The rendering for the pedestrian/bike bridge over the Cumberland to the Oracle campus has been released. No word on the cost of the bridge.

Also, some renderings and massing diagrams have been released for the Tishman Speyer projects at 133 KVB. Both buildings will be 49 stories tall with one at 574' and the other at 512' with the project being a mixed-use with hotel, retail, condo, apartments. Images courtesy of Nashville's MDHA. Hastings is the only architect known at this point.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 1:20 AM

Leftfield question ...

I heard a debate on 104 today about a host calling Clarksville an "extended suburb" of Nashville. South Clarksville is 25 miles to Whites Creek - more CSA than MSA. /jmo

However, the Clarksville MSA is approaching 350k which would help the region (on paper).

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 4:51 AM

It's not wrong, really. The amount of traffic between the two is pretty heavy, especially for almost exclusively 2 lanes each way on I-24.

I know of quite a few Army officers and senior enlisted that live in Nashville and commute to Ft. Campbell because the lifestyle and proximity to amenities they desire outweighs the crappy commute.

I'm honestly surprised that Clarksville isn't included in the CSA with Nashville.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 5:24 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresooner View Post
It's not wrong, really. The amount of traffic between the two is pretty heavy, especially for almost exclusively 2 lanes each way on I-24.

I know of quite a few Army officers and senior enlisted that live in Nashville and commute to Ft. Campbell because the lifestyle and proximity to amenities they desire outweighs the crappy commute.

I'm honestly surprised that Clarksville isn't included in the CSA with Nashville.
Yeah, I mean, presumably it's not part of the CSA because it doesn't meet the commuter threshold... but freakin' HOW is that possible? Even when I lived there many many years ago I knew quite a few people who commuted back and forth between the two. How is it not past the threshold in 2023?

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 5:52 AM

Any update on Ritz Nashville?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations