HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 2:39 PM

I was driving down Washington or Van Buren toward downtown a week or so ago and in the late afternoon sun the massing of those three buildings silhouetted against the western sky looked HUGE. The three buildings together from some perspectives really makes an impact in terms of massing.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 5:38 PM

Arizona Center

I know there is still one patch of open land on the northeast corner of the Arizona Center. I would expect that would be developed next.

At that point, I would assume that they begin to think about scrapping the shopping/mall portion completely and developing that land into more residential with some limited mixed use on the ground floor.

They've put in a hotel, they will soon have a full town of folks, but the retail space itself just seems to get emptier and emptier. Probably time to scrap it all together and replace it with something both useful and profitable.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
I know there is still one patch of open land on the northeast corner of the Arizona Center. I would expect that would be developed next.

At that point, I would assume that they begin to think about scrapping the shopping/mall portion completely and developing that land into more residential with some limited mixed use on the ground floor.

They've put in a hotel, they will soon have a full town of folks, but the retail space itself just seems to get emptier and emptier. Probably time to scrap it all together and replace it with something both useful and profitable.
Not to mention the existing AMC Theatre space. Last rumor I remember was that they were planning on reducing the number of screens...but that was years ago. It's been quiet on this front.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 6:58 PM
Skyriser

The northeast corner was sold to a land banker so I wouldn't expect any movement on that site for years. Selling the garage for $25 million to a parking garage operator suggests they will have many, many years before that note is due without any revenue from leasing and even think about walking away.

But whether it's this owner or the next, I don't expect them to raze a site they just put $25 million into rehabbing. The value of the two original towers greatly hinges on AZCenter's remaining amenities, and this company doesn't look like it does any new development on its own.

You'd think they'd put *some* money into rehabbing/downsizing/etc the AMC, which is probably the biggest reason why AZCenter is empty--that theatre is a horrific dump and brings in no spillover traffic.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 7:30 PM

I think I’ve said this before but that lifetime proposal at PV mall seems like the perfect fit to replace that movie theater at Arizona Center.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post

You'd think they'd put *some* money into rehabbing/downsizing/etc the AMC, which is probably the biggest reason why AZCenter is empty--that theatre is a horrific dump and brings in no spillover traffic.
I thought AMC had plans to remodel that theater but then COVID happened. I go to that theater all the time and yeah, it is very outdated. The inside screams early 2000's, the seats are gross. It definitely needs a remodel. I wish AMC would pull the trigger again and do it. I'd like an IMAX and those comfy red leather seats.

That being said, PalmTower is looking fantastic!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 12:54 AM

Retail at AZ Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Not to mention the existing AMC Theatre space. Last rumor I remember was that they were planning on reducing the number of screens...but that was years ago. It's been quiet on this front.
With all the apartments going up downtown including their own plus having an AC Marriott you would think they would get some higher end retail tenants in there or make it a restaurant entertainment mall including upgrading the theater and having several big league restaurants. We should know soon what their plan is after Palm Tower gets rollin.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 6:33 AM
Skyriser

They're not involved with PalmTower at all afaict, they sold the lot a long time ago.

Having checked .. the fact that their leasing brochure hasn't been updated in a year, there's been no new retail leasing activity, and their broker doesn't actually seem to do retail leasing is weird.

I wonder if they're trying to offload the retail portion to a more competent owner and have had difficulty.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 1:24 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
They're not involved with PalmTower at all afaict, they sold the lot a long time ago.

Having checked .. the fact that their leasing brochure hasn't been updated in a year, there's been no new retail leasing activity, and their broker doesn't actually seem to do retail leasing is weird.

I wonder if they're trying to offload the retail portion to a more competent owner and have had difficulty.
The current owner doesn't even seem to be trying. One of the few new food service tenants they lured, an acai bowl place, has closed. All that's left are Jersey Mike's, Bosa Donuts, Cold Stone Creamery, and the Omoide Japanese/Korean place. The longstanding flag and sports merchandise store is also gone.

Besides the four restaurants, I can think of only the AMC theater, a Bank of America virtual branch, and a nail salon that are still in the complex. If I worked for either the AC Marriott or the new Palmtower, I'd be embarrased to show prospective guests or tenants a nearly empty shell next door.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 9:36 PM

Looks like PALMtower will be topping out later this month with a scheduled completion date of March 2024

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 9:47 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Looks like PALMtower will be topping out later this month with a scheduled completion date of March 2024
I hate to say it, but it looks like it has already topped out. Went by today and they are completing the 29th floor. PALMTower is hardly any taller than APS. I've said this a few times over the years, but I think APS is much taller than it's published hieght of 260'. With it now side-by-side with PALMTower, I would estimate APS is about 290'ish (basing this off of PALM's roof height of 292').

Edit: I went back and looked at all my documents for PALMTower. The actual height to the top of the parapet is 292', not 317' (changed the title of this thread to reflect the correct height. This gives PALM a roof height of about 285'ish. So I would now estimate APS at about 280'. Still much more than the published height of 260'.

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; Jun 5, 2023 at 10:01 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
I hate to say it, but it looks like it has already topped out. Went by today and they are completing the 29th floor. PALMTower is hardly any taller than APS. I've said this a few times over the years, but I think APS is much taller than it's published hieght of 260'. With it now side-by-side with PALMTower, I would estimate APS is about 290'ish (basing this off of PALM's roof height of 292').
A pic from my bike ride over the I-10 & 10th St ped overpass:

Another one from the 3rd floor balcony of the Convention Center during Fan Fusion:

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 3:31 PM
Modulator

Thanks for the pics.

So it looks like 1 more floor to go then. Still won't be much taller than APS. This is not a gripe about PALMTower. Just that I think APS is taller than the published height.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 3:53 PM

Thanks for posting the new construction progress picture halicem. That last one with the basilica is great!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Thanks for the pics.

So it looks like 1 more floor to go then. Still won't be much taller than APS. This is not a gripe about PALMTower. Just that I think APS is taller than the published height.
The 3 look super close, especially at ground level. I think we'll see more separation, if any, when all the finishing touches are in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Thanks for posting the new construction progress picture halicem. That last one with the basilica is great!
You're welcome!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 11:26 PM

The renderings on this looked pretty weird to me, but this has come in looking really nice so far.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 6:06 PM

The rendering show Palm Tower being much taller,lol. Still probably going to be one of the best looking towers we have!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 8:10 PM
Skyriser

^ Palmtower has gone through a few iterations by now, the rendering you're probably looking at is its previous design.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 9:28 PM
Modulator

The Will Bruder design has always stayed the same floor count. The prelim report I have from 2018 shows 28 floors, the same as current floor count. It's either the renderings placed high emphasis on Palm or APS is simply taller than the published height. I myself think APS is taller than 260'. If you look at any long-distance view of Arizona Center, APS looks comparable to similar towers in height such as Adeline or Skye.

I actually sent in a record request a couple weeks ago so I could find out for sure. Unfortunately, the clerk responded that they don't have any records available dating back that far. They were able to provide me a few scanned documents (that were hand-written and barely readable). But I saw nothing regarding the tower heights.

Oh well. I tried

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 11:01 PM
Skyriser

https://phxurbanist.com/project-prof...m-court-tower/

has the version of the render dwarfing the existing towers. I don't know if it's been since shrunk or was just poorly scaled in the image itself.

The City shreds/shredded the plans after construction, as they're technically not city property anyways.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest