Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 4:55 PM

thank god

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 4:56 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
lol^

this is great news for the city's much crapped on working class
Yeah, totally Rahm's fault. Just keep blaming him for such a complex, layered, multifactorial issue

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 4:58 PM
yes

Damn. And the violence won't ever be resolved since it has nothing to do with poverty, but culture. (Democrat who hates Trump, but also likes the truth more).

I read the local papers cover to cover almost daily, and each story about crime is about some degenerate who was insulted on social media, or who wanted to steal shoes, or who got into a road rage incident, or who got into some dumbass argument, who then decided to respond with murder. I'll support a tax increase, heck I'll donate $1,000 now, if the city rolls out a mandatory program and curriculum for acculturation and basic manners, not to mention some incentives not to produce bastard illegitimate children who go on to being future murder suspects or victims. If the city gave every female in town a check for $2,000 for every year she wasn't pregnant, the long-term payout would be HUGE in the amount of city services or police settlements saved 15+ years from now.

Like most Chicagoans, I am begrudgingly liberal. I have to be because the other side is a cult. But increasingly, our side is starting to deny basic statistics, facts, and social science if it offends people or political sensibilities.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 4:59 PM

HQ2 will likely be announced prior to elections. By then, a lot of pieces need to be in place that will ultimately be out of the mayor’s complete control. That’s why I’ve always felt Chicago is a great candidate. We’re a ready place to set up shop.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 5:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
lol^

LOL

That's funny. The working class do fine. The unemployed gang bangers are crapped on? They are not hirable when 1/3 of them do not even graduate HS.
They are destroying the city. Not the employers.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg-...still-drop-out

Greg Hinz On Politics

September 04, 2018 05:00 AM |UPDATED 5 hours ago

CPS graduation rate hits new high, but a third of black males still drop out

New figures released as the school year begins show solid, steady progress at getting Chicago young people to get a diploma. But the rate of improvement has slowed, with some far behind.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 5:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiphile View Post
Damn. And the violence won't ever be resolved since it has nothing to do with poverty, but culture. (Democrat who hates Trump, but also likes the truth more).

I read the local papers cover to cover almost daily, and each story about crime is about some degenerate who was insulted on social media, or who wanted to steal shoes, or who got into a road rage incident, or who got into some dumbass argument, who then decided to respond with murder. I'll support a tax increase, heck I'll donate $1,000 now, if the city rolls out a mandatory program and curriculum for acculturation and basic manners, not to mention some incentives not to produce bastard illegitimate children who go on to being future murder suspects or victims. If the city gave every female in town a check for $2,000 for every year she wasn't pregnant, the long-term payout would be HUGE in the amount of city services or police settlements saved 15+ years from now.

Like most Chicagoans, I am begrudgingly liberal. I have to be because the other side is a cult. But increasingly, our side is starting to deny basic statistics, facts, and social science if it offends people or political sensibilities.
Thank you.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 5:22 PM
Show me the blueprints

Why not?

He can't get the gangbangers to stop killing each other and innocent bystanders so you might as well hand off the baton to someone else to try and fail.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 5:25 PM

this plus khalil mack makes for a great 1-2 punch for the city of chicago, great news and convict van dyke!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 5:38 PM

Very surprised to see this. It may be a good thing. Daley was clearly in office too long. Unless something changes, I'll probably support Vallas. CTU hates him, which makes him very good in my eyes. I supported him back when he ran for governor and barely lost the primary to Blags.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Why not?

He can't get the gangbangers to stop killing each other and innocent bystanders so you might as well hand off the baton to someone else to try and fail.
We are done too. My wife was in the crossfire of a drive by in our front yard, fortunately not hit. The cops didnt even take a statement and dismissed it as basic road rage. Our taxes went up 70% since we bought this place and are going up again. They moved in more section 8 and more is planned. I never thought Id say it but Im out, we are on the market. We are leaving not because we dont like Chicago but because we as upper middle class tax mules are done footing the bill for ignorant wild animals and their political enablers to run wild in the streets, literally. Our street is filled with fast food bags. Our association has to employ someone 3 days a week to pick up litter and you wouldn't even know it 2 hours after hes done. The dope dealers are 24/7 and the cops do nothing. This city had a shot about 10 years ago but reverted to old tribal Chicago and why not, poverty is big business.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 5:44 PM

Quote:
lol^

Your opinions ceased any illusion of worth when you supported tearing down the Uptown Theatre.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 5:50 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Unless something changes, I'll probably support Vallas.
yeah, my immediate gut-reaction is to hop aboard the vallas train.

i like my politics as i like my medians: sensibly in the middle of the road.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 5:50 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
What does this mean? It’s kind of obvious. It means that people are responsible for their behavior. The Mayor is not at fault because a bunch of teen gangsters are shooting each other. And I’m tired of certain segments of the population always demanding that politicians be the ones to blame for this. It distracts these elected leaders from being able to do good work that actually might benefit everyone, from all sides of town, and all walks of life, who actually want to follow a path of self-betterment without being caught up in illegal activity. It distracts elected leaders from improving things that they actually have the power to change. I’m under no delusion that if my son goes out and starts doing drugs with other kids at school, that this is the school’s fault, or the Mayor of my city’s fault. I am tired of people wasting their energy blaming the wrong people for their problems, and probably making them not want to do their jobs any more (ie case in point—Rahm).

And enough with the false label of “racism” or “xenophobia” from people who will not allow a single person to make the point I made in the paragraph above—it’s what A LOT of people are thinking but are too scared to say because the point gets squashed among unfair labels like ones i above.
You say they are responsible for their own behavior, but your last post said they were responsible for their neighbor's behavior. Which is it?

Nobody labeled you anything, no need to play the victim. That you are so concerned about it might say more about your inner thoughts than labels that only you used.

The reality is that violence got worse during Rahm's tenure. Part of that is likely because of his decision to go heavy on overtime instead of hiring more officers in his first term. Part of it is completely out of his control. To imply that he is blameless, is essentially saying that our democratic process is a waste. If politicians can't impact anything, why have them?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0 View Post
We are done too. My wife was in the crossfire of a drive by in our front yard, fortunately not hit. The cops didnt even take a statement and dismissed it as basic road rage. Our taxes went up 70% since we bought this place and are going up again. They moved in more section 8 and more is planned. I never thought Id say it but Im out, we are on the market. We are leaving not because we dont like Chicago but because we as upper middle class tax mules are done footing the bill for ignorant wild animals and their political enablers to run wild in the streets, literally. Our street is filled with fast food bags. Our association has to employ someone 3 days a week to pick up litter and you wouldn't even know it 2 hours after hes done. The dope dealers are 24/7 and the cops do nothing. This city had a shot about 10 years ago but reverted to old tribal Chicago and why not, poverty is big business.
Um, did you not research your street before you moved in? I doubt it was Mayberry when you moved in.... but sounds like a war zone though. Will these details make it into the listing for your condo sale? Stainless Steel appliances and drive by shootings!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj View Post

The reality is that violence got worse during Rahm's tenure. Part of that is likely because of his decision to go heavy on overtime instead of hiring more officers in his first term. Part of it is completely out of his control. To imply that he is blameless, is essentially saying that our democratic process is a waste. If politicians can't impact anything, why have them?
In largest sense he's responsible because he is simply in office. I don't think he's done everything right on this front but he's generally at least tried. CPD brought a lot of this on themselves too with excessive force problems and pouted when it came out instead of doing their jobs or reforming. Also I usually find that a mayor's (of any city) power over city PD is often more theoretical than practical.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 6:06 PM
BANNED

Wow so now we're just letting people call poor or black folks "wild animals" on here. My heart goes out to anyone caught in the cycle of gun violence, but the answer is not racism. It's gun control. Mods, would you please remove this trash from the forum?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
Wow so now we're just letting people call poor or black folks "wild animals" on here. My heart goes out to anyone caught in the cycle of gun violence, but the answer is not racism. It's gun control. Mods, would you please remove this trash from the forum?
When its your wife in the cross fire and five year old playing on the ground floor inside you can judge me. They are out of control and until we discuss the behavioral problems ingrained in the culture of the projects nothing, NOTHING will change. We bought near north side after Cabrini came down, well Cabrini part 2 is well on its way back up. Peace out, it's Wilmette or possibly Coastal CA if the job change happens. We've paid enough in taxes and will probably lose a little bit but the culture, the open dealing thats not even attempted to be stopped, the lazy ass cops just waiting to get a pension, um no thanks. The decline is structural at this point.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
yeah, my immediate gut-reaction is to hop aboard the vallas train.

i like my politics as i like my medians: sensibly in the middle of the road.
Me too, especially at local levels. I could probably support a Bernie Sanders type in the House or Senate just to have that perspective there. I would never want that type running Chicago or being President though.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Mark's post didn't mention poor people or black poor people...... he was directing his attention to the criminals that were shooting in front of his residence......

I would be pretty frustrated too if that happened to myself.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 6:18 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Indeed, if the fucking rednecks could stop clinging on to their stupid guns, the US would be much safer (I realize it would take a while to actually get them off the streets, of course, but just because the solution takes a while doesn't mean it's not a solution). Gangs might still attack each other with knives or whatever but when's the last time anybody got injured or killed in the cross-fire of a knife fight?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest