HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Looks like the Wellington Street project that went though years of battles. Maybe the developer sold it once it was approved?
No, this is on Inglis, around the corner from the Wellington site.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 9:47 PM

The Urban Capital Twitter account had two posts on this. Their picture of the backyard puts it mid block on Wellington. Seems like they will "launch" in June, so probably presales and a model suite. Massing looks identical to the last Dino Capital proposal.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 10:13 PM

Huh, interesting. The massing is similar, but the actual design is leagues better than the Wellington project, IMO.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Huh, interesting. The massing is similar, but the actual design is leagues better than the Wellington project, IMO.
Yeah, this is a really great design. Far more appealing, both as an observer but likely also for actually condo buyers/renters.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
ANS reported tonight that the Dino Capital project was sold to Urban Capital; I think this one is the Wellington Street project.
There was an ad in this week's Coast or the Metro (can't find it anymore, must have recycled it) from Urban Capital advertising the building on Wellington. No prices though, don't remember if it implied they would be for sale or for rent.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNovaScotian View Post
https://www.killamproperties.com/apa...ns/garden-park
http://www.vicsuites.com/units.asp?PageID=2
http://universalproperties.ca/living/peninsula-place/

Most new builds in the area are in that range already. I currently pay $1000 for a one bedroom on South Park and the building is 30 + years old.

Ugh, that depresses me. I bought a fairly big house in the burbs a few years ago, and my mortgage + property taxes aren't much more than that. However, heating, maintenance and other bills drive the costs up much higher, and THE WORK. I also hate leaving it empty when I travel (and I want to travel a lot more!)

I keep thinking about going back to an apartment or condo on the peninsula and trading the space for more money for travel. But when I hear those prices and compare to the space I have, my yard, no one immediately on the other side of my walls, etc., I just can't imagine doing it even though I know in my rational mind that I'd have a lot more cash.

I do feel now that a big house in the burbs isn't really the best choice for a single person, despite all the pro-ownership arguments that get thrown at us. But now that I have it, it's hard to let it go.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
District 7 & 8 Planning Advisory Committee will be discussing the proposal next week;

http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/D78P...5d78pac911.pdf

I'm still on the fence about this proposal. The height seems excessive for a side street but the design has definitely improved over the last year.

I hope it goes through. I think the step-down design deals with the height issue quite nicely, and that neighbourhood is already a mix of single homes and mid-to-high-rise buildings anyway.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2016, 8:58 PM

Urban Capital has taken over the project and it will now be condos.

http://www.gorsebrookcondos.com/

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 12:29 AM

I really like this design.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 1:52 AM
Halifax Promoter!

Yes, this is really nice.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 12:23 PM

I hope there isn't continuing neighbourhood uproar. I understood the furor originally, given the flagrant zoning violation, but the height has been cut in half from the original proposal, and it's a hell of a lot better-looking all around. It's ideal for a location like this. (Even though as I understand it the zoning permits only three storeys.)

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 2:47 PM

I posted this on my facebook and it created a good discussion and in the end Waye Mason chimed in saying that he had met with Urban Capital, and the residents who were upset and everyone seems to be ok with this new iteration, good quality materials and the change from rental to condo.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 4:39 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I posted this on my facebook and it created a good discussion and in the end Waye Mason chimed in saying that he had met with Urban Capital, and the residents who were upset and everyone seems to be ok with this new iteration, good quality materials and the change from rental to condo.
Yeah I held back in commenting on that FB thread about the rental to condo part. As a homeowner who just last night went out to tell a bunch of yahoo students who are renting a house nearby to quiet down, I totally get it. It is however a sometimes dangerous path to go down. On the surface it is likely fine, but underlying it (at least for some) is a paternal tone that insinuates that people who own are somehow "better people". I get that there is an aspect of truth where people who own are often more invested long term in the health of the neighbourhood, but equating condo=good and renters=bad neighbours makes me a bit uncomfortable.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
Yeah I held back in commenting on that FB thread about the rental to condo part. As a homeowner who just last night went out to tell a bunch of yahoo students who are renting a house nearby to quiet down, I totally get it. It is however a sometimes dangerous path to go down. On the surface it is likely fine, but underlying it (at least for some) is a paternal tone that insinuates that people who own are somehow "better people". I get that there is an aspect of truth where people who own are often more invested long term in the health of the neighbourhood, but equating condo=good and renters=bad neighbours makes me a bit uncomfortable.
I can't comment on whether there's a perception of anybody being "better people", but I have noticed that in general condo buildings seem to be "better buildings" with more attention and expense devoted to material quality, overall design and such. This alone would probably tend to have a more positive affect on the neighborhood, not to mention property values.

Plus, owners (through condo fees) have more say over upkeep of the building and the property than renters do, thus eliminating the potential for a situation where a landlord will let things slide because they are bringing in the same amount of rent whether they maintain the property or not.

I can see where existing residents of the neighborhood would find this to be a more desirable situation.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 11:12 PM

I'm a homeowner too, but only after 15 years of renting. Living in a heavily rental neighbourhood doesn't bother me at all. I don't think the issue in the South End is the predominance of renters, so much as the predominance of undergrads.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
I know what you mean. I don't like the subtext of the situation that implies renters are bad people, however I am happy that a resolution was found that made all parties happy.

Rental buildings can be just as nice or nicer than condo's, it just depends on the developer/owner. Take Dexel/Paramount for example. I'm sure most people would be happy to have them as neighbours.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 11:56 PM

This is going before District 7 & 8 PAC next week for discussion. Site plans are available below;

http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/D78P...19987-Memo.pdf

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 1:41 AM

It appears as though a showroom has been set up in the building on the left for this one.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 4:22 AM

Hey guys,

I am taking this as an opportunity to post my first message. I am currently on a condo hunt and visited the showroom. Project seems to be very high quality but they are asking almost DT Toronto prices. 600-something sqft 1 bedroom + den facing the park is 379k + 36k for parking. I would rather buy Roy at this point.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 6:09 PM

The discrepancy between home prices and condo prices on the peninsula seems strangely small. 379k plus 36k is 415k, for a one-bedroom apartment. In Toronto, where even a fixer-upper of a house will cost double that or more, sure. But in Halifax, 415k can get you a very decent house on the peninsula.

If they're able to sell units at these prices, good for them, but I don't get it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth