HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 1:00 PM
Watching & Waiting

And just look at all those smart comments from people on the CBC website!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 3:53 PM

Am I hearing correctly when I report that these are not supposed to have luggage racks? If so, why? It makes no sense to have a commuter-only bus route to the airport. If MT thinks they have trouble with their stroller policy now, just wait until they try to enforce a no-luggage policy on this route.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 6:51 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by something_witty View Post
And just look at all those smart comments from people on the CBC website!
Only the most intelligent people post on the CBC website, they are always in favour of progress. (Note massive sarcasm here.)

Seriously, the cbc comments are either by crazy anti-progress people or by those who just don't like public spending. Usually neither of these two groups contribute to the taxes that actually pay for these services. Ironic? The comment on the placement of the airport clearly came with little knowledge of HRM and surrounding areas.

Finally, this project will ensure that there is at least a public option. The comment on lack of capacity is the stupidest thing I have ever read... I would say this bus route will grow over time, given that logically most people don't have a car and a taxi is about 10x more expensive. But logic isn't (usually) used by those posting on the CBC comment sections.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 6:53 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Am I hearing correctly when I report that these are not supposed to have luggage racks? If so, why? It makes no sense to have a commuter-only bus route to the airport. If MT thinks they have trouble with their stroller policy now, just wait until they try to enforce a no-luggage policy on this route.
I think its not "no luggage" just no racks for luggage. In europe I took the metro and buses to every airport... most of them had no luggage racks.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 9:52 PM

Quote:
CBC news: Halifax @ 6:00 reported there would be overhead luggage racks.

It seems they are expecting a lot of airport employees to fill these buses. The airport has trouble getting workers for minimum wage retail jobs and airport ground (luggage) handlers due to lack of public transit. A lot of people who work minimum wage do not have a car.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 10:08 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Overhead luggage racks on a bus sound like a bad idea. Most airport buses I've seen have racks where some seats would be.

Anyway, at least this is happening finally.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 11:17 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Overhead luggage racks on a bus sound like a bad idea. Most airport buses I've seen have racks where some seats would be.

Anyway, at least this is happening finally.
Yes this would be better - like airport shuttle buses that I have been on. Have shelves with ground level for large suitcases and elevated racks for smaller suitcases.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Yes this would be better - like airport shuttle buses that I have been on. Have shelves with ground level for large suitcases and elevated racks for smaller suitcases.
That's probably what they meant, the report was not specific about the racks.

Something like this I'm guessing.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 12:51 AM

If they go with that kind of racking (which is quite common for airprort shuttles) AND if MT imposes its usual handicap access policy to allow space for wheelchairs, each bus will be able to handle about 4 passengers...

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 2:47 AM

Quote:
If they go with that kind of racking (which is quite common for airprort shuttles) AND if MT imposes its usual handicap access policy to allow space for wheelchairs, each bus will be able to handle about 4 passengers...
I'll remember not to bring my wheelchair then, and use crutches instead.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
If these buses are intended to serve an airport, I suppose they might as well be accessorized to handle air travelers. Even handicapped ones.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
If these buses are intended to serve an airport, I suppose they might as well be accessorized to handle air travelers. Even handicapped ones.
The new 300 BRT here in Calgary is nothing more than an standard bus. As far as I know, there are no special luggage racks. It's not even the articulated buses we typically see on the BRT routes - it's just one of the brand new 'new flyer' buses, in CT colours.

Btw - today would've been the day to be out plane spotting if you liked wide bodied aircraft. Apparently there were a lot of issues in Toronto today and Air Canada had cancelled at least one YYZ-YHZ flight (Toronto - Halifax), but for some reason has deployed at least 3 767-300ERs, when normally only one make the trip each way.

The second flight out of Toronto this morning was a 767 (arriving in Halifax around 11; returning to Toronto at noon); then the 767 from London and then one left Toronto around 1pm and went back to Toronto around 6pm. So it was a busy day.

There is also a Condor 767-300ER with winglets sitting on the tarmac for it's flight to Frankfurt tomorrow night (which you can see with the airport webcam).

Today's AC scheduled harkens back to the good old days when I was still in university and they had two 767 flights a day to Toronto. They were so nice to fly on too. When I come home in September, I have them all the way - Calgary to Toronto and then Toronto to Halifax! Such comfy planes!

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 9:04 PM

From CBC online...

What Air Canada doth taketh away, Porter bringeth back...

Porter Airlines establishes Halifax crew base
Planning 40 new hires
Porter Airlines has opened a crew base in Halifax and plans on hiring 40 new employees, including flight attendants and pilots.

The new crew base is the first outside Porter's headquarters at Toronto's Billy Bishop airport and the move will double the airline's current workforce in Halifax to 80 people.

It currently has customer service, ground handling and maintenance crews in the city.

Porter said it is opening the new base, which is expected to create operation and economic efficiencies, because of company growth.

The Halifax crew will be mainly responsible for routes that include Halifax, Moncton, N.B., St. John's, N.L., Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto.

Story link.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2011, 3:49 AM

Now if they'd just put in a lounge. Even a small one. The one in Toronto is great.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2011, 11:04 PM

Judging from the webcam view, Stanfield's years-long, phased-in runway reconstruction is finished. There are still some illuminated barriers at the perimeter of de-icing pads 1 and 2, but I can't see any construction equipment, and all the visible (as opposed to that which is off-camera) blue taxiway lighting is lit up.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 4:39 PM

September 15, 2011
From HIAA website

Source

Halifax Stanfield Worth Billions to Nova Scotia Economy
$1.25 Billion Economic Impact in 2010

Halifax, N.S. – Halifax Stanfield International Airport (HSIA) has contributed almost $12 billion to the Nova Scotia economy from 2000 to 2010. In 2000, the airport was transferred from the federal Government to the locally-controlled Halifax International Airport Authority (HIAA).

“Together, our airport partners have a tremendous impact on Halifax and the province as an economic generator and growth enabler,” says Tom Ruth, President & CEO, HIAA. “Over the last decade, the airport has played a huge role as a significant contributor to the Nova Scotia economy,” he says. “In the 10 years that the Airport Authority has been operating HSIA, the total impact of the airport on our community has risen by $753 million – or three quarters of a billion dollars – including new construction and air tourism impacts.”

As well, since 2000, the airport community employees have contributed $527.4 million in personal income tax to the province of Nova Scotia and $197.6 million in retail sales tax, while total employment at the airport has grown by 12.4 per cent from 11,000 in 2000 to 12,365 jobs in 2010.

An economic impact study, conducted by Chris Lowe Planning and Management Group, states that since operational transfer of the airport from the federal government in 2000, HIAA and airport tenants have contributed over $425 million in renovation and new construction impacts, generating some 6,610 full-time equivalent (FTE) construction-related jobs and $267 million in wages and salaries. These projects represent over 70 per cent of airport-related capital improvements in Atlantic Canada.

The study, released today, notes that Halifax Stanfield was worth $1.25 billion to the Nova Scotia economy in 2010, up from $1.22 billion in 2009.

The study confirms the HSIA community – made up of airlines, aerospace, air freight firms, the Airport Authority, retailers, restaurants, and other companies supporting the air transportation industry – is a major economic, fiscal and employment generator for the Halifax Region and Nova Scotia.

In 2010, direct employment created by the airport was 5,400 full-time equivalent (FTE) jobs. Major employers at Halifax Stanfield include IMP Group, Air Canada, and Jazz who together employ 2,148 FTE staff or almost 40 per cent of the airport’s workforce.

“Air travellers are a significant component of the province’s tourism industry,” says Ruth.

Visitors by air represent about 28 per cent of all tourists to Nova Scotia, and they stay longer and spend more than tourists who arrive by other modes of travel. In 2010, they generated an estimated $620 million in revenue or 34 per cent of the province’s estimated $1.82 billion total tourism revenues.

In 2010, airport community employees paid $58.6 million in personal income tax and generated $24.0 million to the province in retail sales tax.

Highlights of the 2010 Economic Impact Study

Total Provincial Benefit as a result of Airport activity:
- $1.249 billion in gross output is generated by airlines, air freight firms, retailers and other companies involved directly and indirectly in the air transportation industry ($1.224 billion in 2009)
- $425 million (since 2000) in renovation and new construction impacts
- The major tourism gateway to Nova Scotia

Wages and Salaries:
$488.7 million in total salaries and wages
o $213.4 million direct (airport-related activity)
o $117.4 million indirect (generated in a sector that supplies raw materials associated with direct economic activity)
o $157.9 million induced (generated by individuals employed in direct or indirect sectors)

Fiscal Impact:
- Airport community employees pay $58.6 million in personal income tax to the Province of Nova Scotia
- Airport community employees generate $24.0 million in retail sales tax

Employment (full-time equivalent):
- 12,365 jobs are attributable directly and indirectly to the Airport, which accounts for 2.7 per cent of employment in Nova Scotia
o 5,400 direct
o 2,970 indirect
o 3,995 induced

Full report here: http://www.hiaa.ca/images/pdf_files/...ort%202010.pdf

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 9:13 PM

To be completed by 2013:
  • Re-doing departures domestic & international (except USA) south end area of terminal building to make terminal uniform from end to end
  • New Runway Extension from 8,800 ft to 10,500 ft NOW UNDER CONSTUCTION
  • New one-way terminal Roadway (Bell Boulevard) to loop back to Highway 102
  • New Hotel at terminal (Le Groupe Germain)
  • New Hotel off-site (Marriott Courtyard)
  • New Loading Bridges
  • Metro Transit Bus Service
  • 2nd Starbucks on main level, New Chickenburger outlet
  • Other additional improvements

Heard on the radio today the runway extension is underway and landing lights on long runway will be out of commission at one end for awhile.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2011, 10:28 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
To be completed by 2013:
  • Re-doing departures domestic & international (except USA) south end area of terminal building to make terminal uniform from end to end
  • New Runway Extension from 8,800 ft to 10,500 ft NOW UNDER CONSTUCTION
  • New one-way terminal Roadway (Bell Boulevard) to loop back to Highway 102
  • New Hotel at terminal (Le Groupe Germain)
  • New Hotel off-site (Marriott Courtyard)
  • New Loading Bridges
  • Metro Transit Bus Service
  • 2nd Starbucks on main level, New Chickenburger outlet
  • Other additional improvements

Heard on the radio today the runway extension is underway and landing lights on long runway will be out of commission at one end for awhile.
Great news. Are there any renderings of the terminal renovations - so the terminal exterior will be re-clad to make it uniform?

I would like to see pictures of the runway extension construction.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
so the terminal exterior will be re-clad to make it uniform?
Redeveloped with glass like the rest of the terminal I understand.

Here is a list of food and beverage at the terminal from HIAA website.
http://www.hiaa.ca/default.asp?mn=70.1.235.246

Airport Square - Main Level (Pre-Security)
Burger King (5am-9:30pm) - have it your way and enjoy the fire-grilled taste the brand is famous for.

The Chickenburger - Coming Soon!

Maritime Ale House (6:30am-9:30pm) - casual dining atmosphere with full bar and meal menu.

Tim Hortons (24 hours) - coffee, doughnut and light fare institution in Canada - you’ve always got time for Tim Hortons.

Domestic Arrivals
Starbucks - Coming Soon!

Domestic/International Departures Level (Post-Security)
Legends Nova Scotia Lounge (6:30am-last flight) - offering a variety of liquor, wine, and draught and bottled beer, as well as menu selections.

Beaches Bar and Café (5am-9pm) - Licensed bar with full service menu.

Brisket Deli (5am-9pm Monday-Friday, 7am-7pm Saturday and Sunday) - enjoy fresh sandwiches, salads, soups and chowder for carry out and carry on.

Starbucks (5am-9pm) - enjoy high quality coffee and legendary service.

Tim Hortons (5am-9pm) - coffee, doughnut and light fare institution in Canada - you’ve always got time for Tim Hortons.

Booster Juice (6am - 9pm) - fresh squeezed nutritional juices, as well as a full line of hot grilled wraps, panini, breakfast and vegetarian options.

And, there are a variety of vending machines throughout the terminal building.

U.S. Departures (Post-Security)
Spirit of the Maritimes (5am-last flight) - full service, licensed casual dining.

Also there is the Bell Boulevard Tim Hortons (24 Hours)

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 5:29 PM

Air Canada has updated their Christmas schedule for us displaced maritimers wanting to come home for the Christmas season.

Air Canada has added flight AC1604 (Calgary to Halifax with a 1.5 hour stop in Toronto) as a Boeing 767-300. This flight will operate from December 17th to December 24th departing YYC at 12:55pm and arriving at YHZ at 11:55pm.

The additional flight westbound will be AC1605 (Halifax to Calgary with a 1.5 hour stop in Toronto) which will start up on December 17th and will fly out of YHZ at 7am until December 27th, when the flight time will change to departing at 17:05 and arriving into YYC at 22:12. I am on both flights, I arrive on the 21st and leave on new years day.

For all you plane spotters that want to have a look at some bigger jets; there will be an extra 767 coming in through the holidays. Although I'm surprised the route doesn't continue onto St. John's like it did last year. But AC added an extra red eye flight out of here in YYC at 1am, that stops in Toronto and continues onto YYT as a 767 as well. Last year, 1605 did a real milk run (YYC-YYZ-YHZ-YYT). But it ended up being a loop because then the plane would leave YYT early morning, back to YYZ, then back to YYC to begin the loop again. I can't imagine they were making a lot of $ on the leg from YYT to YYZ - but I know when I took the extra flight last year it was pretty full getting in here at Calgary.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure