HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 28, 2011, 7:09 PM

Le Groupe Germain built a hotel here in Calgary - I'm neither here nor there on the design of the hotel (I think the wood finishing is horrible). They were also found guilty for work place violations that lead to a piece of sheet metal flying off their hotel during a wind storm and killing a 4 year old girl on 9 Avenue SE.

So long as the design of the hotel isn't like the one in Calgary - I'll be happy with it.

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 6:23 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post

Wow two more Hotels at the Airport! One at the terminal and a new Marriott Courtyard.
This is excellent news. The airport area has certainly come a long way... I'm hoping for some height with the hotels! 10 stories plus would be great.

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
I'm hoping for some height with the hotels! 10 stories plus would be great.

Whaaaat?!? Are you crazy, man? You can't make them 10 storeys. That's TOO TALL!!!! Airplanes will crash into them! Pilots won't be able to see the runway!!! Dangerous winds will be created that will keep airplanes from landing!!! All sorts of bad things will happen!! Oh, the humanity!!!

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 7:59 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Whaaaat?!? Are you crazy, man? You can't make them 10 storeys. That's TOO TALL!!!! Airplanes will crash into them! Pilots won't be able to see the runway!!! Dangerous winds will be created that will keep airplanes from landing!!! All sorts of bad things will happen!! Oh, the humanity!!!
And the children, don't forget how buildings taller than 3 stories destroy families.

But seriously, these bogus excuses will likely not come to fruition... I'm not aware of any NIMBYISM out there.

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
And the children, don't forget how buildings taller than 3 stories destroy families.

But seriously, these bogus excuses will likely not come to fruition... I'm not aware of any NIMBYISM out there.
But didn't you know that there are some heritage trees out there?
Seriously...the Heritage Trust will be all over this because of the trees.

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 9:15 PM
Honored Member

Hopefully they won't build the hotel structure and then tear it down, as with the last one at the same site (it was a different hospitality company though - Ketty, I think).

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Hopefully they won't build the hotel structure and then tear it down, as with the last one at the same site (it was a different hospitality company though - Ketty, I think).
The last gasp of Keddy. Always a crummy operator. Should never have been there in the first place.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 1:10 PM

New Air Canada route this winter starting in February:

Halifax (YHZ) to Providenciales, Turks And Caicos Islands (PLS) NEW 1 weekly service

You know the Island Nova Scotia wants to annex.

Plus:

Halifax (YHZ) to Orlando (MCO) - Increases from 2 weekly to 3 weekly

Source

It's our next closest island sun destination after Bermuda.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 1:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

One of you guys should really PM a Mod to have the name of this thread changed to something like "Halifax Stanfield International Airport Developments

I have had luck with Tony. He usually helps out within a couple of days.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
One of you guys should really PM a Mod to have the name of this thread changed to something like "Halifax Stanfield International Airport Developments

I have had luck with Tony. He usually helps out within a couple of days.
Done.

Thanks MonctonRad for getting the NBL thread changed as well.

It's funny though that the airport was constructed 50 years ago and the thread name airport construction is still appropriate because the airport is still under construction.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 2:02 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
It's funny though that the airport was constructed 50 years ago and the thread name airport construction is still appropriate because the airport is still under construction.
That's a good thing! It wasn't under construction it wouldn't be growing. And certainly almost every major airport that I have been in in the last 10 years has had significant construction going on even though many were first constructed decades ago... JFK, LHR, YYZ, SFO, CDG...

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 10:21 PM

I agree, and when these projects below are done the airport will finally have the (uniform) look of a fully reconstructed and expanded terminal.

To be completed by 2013:
  • Re-doing departures domestic & international (except USA) south end area of terminal building to make terminal uniform from end to end
  • New Runway Extension from 8,800 ft to 10,500 ft
  • New one-way terminal Roadway (Bell Boulevard) to loop back to Highway 102
  • New Hotel at terminal (Le Groupe Germain)
  • New Hotel off-site (Marriott Courtyard)
  • New Loading Bridges
  • Metro Transit Bus Service
  • Other additional improvements

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 10:24 PM

Most airports are always under construction in some way...because most are growing. Except for places like Sydney (YQY), which is holding their own, but neither going up or down in passenger traffic.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 10:26 PM
Honored Member

I would really like to see pictures of the runway extension work. Is there anyone who is at the airport on a frequent basis? There is an airport webcam but it doesn't seem to be pointed in the right direction.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 1:43 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I would really like to see pictures of the runway extension work. Is there anyone who is at the airport on a frequent basis? There is an airport webcam but it doesn't seem to be pointed in the right direction.
Crap... I keep meaning to take a look (I have flown in/out 3 times in the last few weeks) but I forget everytime. I did notice that they were redoing at least one of the bibs down towards gate 24 or so.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 8:41 PM

Since I'm coming home in September, a friend of mine from the states wanted to come to Halifax to visit for my birthday (reason why I'm home). So I was helping him out by looking into airfare, since he lives in Philly.

It appears that for the summer, US Airways has increased the size of the last flight in from Philly and first flight back outbound in the morning to an E170 up until September 30. The route must be doing well. All other flights remain a CRJ.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 8:26 AM

I stand corrected. Apparently the first flight in from PHL and the last flight from PHL are E170's and the other flight is a CRJ. Looks like US Airways is doing good business on the route if they are already upgrading the aircraft for the peak season, about a year after launch!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 12:52 PM
Fizzix geek

yeah I have taken the evening flight from Philly in February and it was a full flight.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2011, 4:19 PM

US Airways will also be operating a non-stop DCA (Reagan National) – YHZ on Saturdays this summer and Delta is back with a ATL-YHZ non-stop again this year on summer Saturdays.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Halifax buying buses for airport run

CBC News Posted: Jul 21, 2011 7:42 AM AT Last Updated: Jul 21, 2011 7:42 AM AT

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...s-airport.html

Halifax Mayor Peter Kelly says there should be bus service to the airport starting next May.

Kelly announced this week that the municipality is buying nine buses for its run to Halifax Stanfield International Airport. The tender closes Aug. 11.
Yes, Finally!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure