HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 3:48 PM

Interesting to note that when YHZ opened in 1960, there was just Trans-Canada (Air Canada) and Maritime Central Airways serving the airport……the latter with one flight a day operating YYG-YTN (New Glasgow)-YHZ & return.

European service was a TCA Super Constellation to Prestwick and Heathrow.

Here's a TCA Timetable from 1960 and an MCA Timetable from 1963.

http://timetableimages.com/ttimages/complete/tc60/

http://timetableimages.com/ttimages/complete/mr63/

Eastern Provincial took over from MCA in 1963 but it was in June 1969 when EPA got their first ‘737 before Air Canada had any competition and only between YHZ and YUL.

CP was finally awarded a route between YYZ and YHZ in June 1980 but EPA lobbied Ottawa and they were awarded that route instead.

CP finally reached YHZ with a route from YUL in Spring 1981 and the Amsterdam service began in December 1981.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 5:29 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghYHZ View Post
Interesting to note that when YHZ opened in 1960, there was just Trans-Canada (Air Canada) and Maritime Central Airways serving the airport……the latter with one flight a day operating YYG-YTN (New Glasgow)-YHZ & return.

European service was a TCA Super Constellation to Prestwick and Heathrow.

Here's a TCA Timetable from 1960 and an MCA Timetable from 1963.

http://timetableimages.com/ttimages/complete/tc60/

http://timetableimages.com/ttimages/complete/mr63/

Eastern Provincial took over from MCA in 1963 but it was in June 1969 when EPA got their first ‘737 before Air Canada had any competition and only between YHZ and YUL.

CP was finally awarded a route between YYZ and YHZ in June 1980 but EPA lobbied Ottawa and they were awarded that route instead.

CP finally reached YHZ with a route from YUL in Spring 1981 and the Amsterdam service began in December 1981.
These are great images - people who like nostalgia should have a look at these links.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 9:04 PM

........And the first US airline with scheduled service at YHZ I believe was Bar Harbor Airlines operating as "Eastern Express" beginning in 1986 with a BOS-PWM-YHZ flight.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 9:55 PM

I looked at every page of that TCA schedule and still cannot tell what flights used YHZ or where they went to/came from. What a confusing schedule!! I guess back then you really needed a travel agent.

I was able to see that you could fly from Halifax to New Glasgow on MCA for the princely sum of $8 back then.

Interesting that TCA was already using the "Air Canada" name in 1960. I didn't know that.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I looked at every page of that TCA schedule and still cannot tell what flights used YHZ or where they went to/came from. What a confusing schedule!! I guess back then you really needed a travel agent.
Back then, you read an airline timetables like a railroad timetable......something people were probably more familiar with.

This page for example:

http://timetableimages.com/ttimages/...60/tc60-03.jpg

Top left, westbound, read down......in the seventh column over......“V” Viscount Flight 421 departed Halifax at 700am, Moncton at 805am, Saint John at 9am, Fredericton at 950 and arrived in Montreal at 1030am.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 11:01 PM

I regularly check Airliners.net, they have a good search engine for airplane photos. The following are a few couple photos of the Concorde in Halifax.

Source

Source

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 11:11 PM
Honored Member

The Concorde certainly is a sleek aircraft, although it looks small in comparison to a 747.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 1:09 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Found this on youtube about YHZ.
Wow! I had forgotten the Air Nova lines.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Wow! I had forgotten the Air Nova lines.
Part of what became Jazz. I remember one of my favorite trips to the Airport was back when I was in Boy Scouts; I was a volunteer leader for a cub troop and I arrange a tour. This was back when they'd let you out into the secure area where the gates were and we got to go onboard a Jazz (then Air Nova) Dash 8. The kids loved it; they just kept pressing the buttons like crazy and then they were allowed to stand on the tarmac watching the planes go by and we got to go up in the tower. Can't do that anymore...

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 12:35 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghYHZ View Post
........And a couple more pages from the 1960 Brochure:

Love the picture of the then brand new 1st ever escalator in NS (which was only replaced last year I think it was). Very cool pics.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 1:34 PM

Quote:

I was able to see that you could fly from Halifax to New Glasgow on MCA for the princely sum of $8 back then.

Interesting that TCA was already using the "Air Canada" name in 1960. I didn't know that.
Ironically, when the new HIA opening, you had to drive halfway to New Glasgow to fly there..

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 9:48 PM

Back in the ‘60s it was a Sunday afternoon thing to load us kids into the car and head out to YHZ to watch the planes…….and I always had my Kodak Instamatic along!

Here’s the view from the open observation deck and garden/patio area where there was only a 3’ high fence separating you from the ramp……and the whine of a Viscount’s Rolls-Royce Dart Turboprops and the smell of the kerosene from those new DC-9s!

YHZ is one of those enthusiast friendly airports still around in post 9-11. That open patio area was roughly located when the raised seating area is now, near the front of the Maritime Ale House and directly below the Observation Deck on the 3rd floor……and all the times I’m parked over along Old Guysborough Road adjacent to 05/23, I don’t think I’ve even been given a second glance by the passing Mounties or Airport Security.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Ironically, when the new HIA opening, you had to drive halfway to New Glasgow to fly there..
Yes it was a long drive when you consider the old airport was in Shearwater just across the harbour.

To reach the new airport, a two lane highway was constructed. (eventually to be part of #102) It met the existing Highway #2 at a T Intersection near the Inn on the Lake and again at another T Intersection near the Big-Stop in Enfield.

And it did take awhile to get to the airport as you left Halifax and drove out through Bedford and Waverly on old Highway #2 or followed #18 from Dartmouth along the Shubenacadie Canal. Even the airport road at the top of the hill was just a T Intersection with a flashing light.....there was no interchange.

Last edited by ghYHZ; Mar 15, 2011 at 10:46 PM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 11:41 PM

It always seemed to me to be a very poor location choice. I don't know what criteria they used but even now it seems much too far away from the city. Back then they probably could have found plenty of suitable land in Sackville or Waverly.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 1:55 PM

Quote:
It always seemed to me to be a very poor location choice. I don't know what criteria they used but even now it seems much too far away from the city. Back then they probably could have found plenty of suitable land in Sackville or Waverly.
I on the other hand think it’s a very good location and the original planners be given credit for things they took into consideration back in the ‘50s when the site was selected. It is located far enough away from built-up areas where noise curfews are not required along with plenty of room for expansion…..things now plaguing other major airports though we are starting to see encroachments here too.

I also remember reading that the site selection took weather and fog into consideration and this site at a high elevation, would be far less susceptible than Shearwater or other closer in locations.

The Airport Access Road eventually became part of the 102 Freeway giving easy access to all parts of the province. (YHZ is not just HRM’s airport) And using the 118, the airport is now closer to downtown than the original route via Bedford. I can reach YHZ just as fast as or faster than say someone going out to Pearson from downtown Toronto.

Last edited by ghYHZ; Mar 16, 2011 at 2:08 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 2:19 PM

ANS was reporting today that the airport is looking at opening a Chickenburger.

Last edited by Jonovision; Mar 25, 2011 at 8:36 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 3:10 PM

Opening in Chickenburger, or opening a Chickenburger?

'Cause, I know that would cut down the commute, but the parking lot is already a little crowded. Where would they park the 737s?

...Sorry, had to.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 8:35 PM

Hahahahah, ooops. My bad. Edited

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 12:55 AM

March 30, 2011

Air Cargo Jumps in 2010
Multi-Tenant Cargo Facility Contributes to Growth

http://www.hiaa.ca/default.asp?id=19....1.262.291.656

Halifax, N.S. – Halifax Stanfield International Airport processed 28,450 metric tonnes of cargo in 2010 – up 5.7 per cent over 2009.

This increase was due in large part, to the opening of the airport’s new multi-tenant cargo facility. In June 2010, Gateway Facilities ULC, together with Halifax International Airport Authority (HIAA), officially opened a $15 million, 40,000 square foot world-class cargo facility, featuring 7,000 square feet of climate controlled space.

“For a client in the seafood business, the ability to ship their high-value products directly to Europe, just hours out of the water, is a tremendous competitive advantage,” explains Jerry Staples, HIAA Vice President, Marketing and Business Development. “And now with the largest refrigerated space with direct airside access north of Miami, we are working to bring international cargo carriers to Halifax Stanfield.”

Cargo traffic is forecast to increase seven per cent in 2011.

“Our air cargo business is a team effort,” says Staples. “From the many cargo and integrated carriers who operate here at Halifax Stanfield to the many importers and exporters who use our airlines and facilities to ship products by air worldwide, we’re all looking forward to accelerated growth,” he says.

HIAA is in the planning stages to extend its main runway which will enhance cargo operations. “Extending the runway from 8,800 to more than 10,000 feet will mean we will be able to handle larger, wide-bodied and heavy aircraft, “ says Staples. “It also means many of these carriers will be able to operate throughout the year, even during inclement weather.”

The sister airport agreement that was signed between HIAA and Incheon International Airport in South Korea is also expected to boost new cargo business through Halifax. Incheon is one of the largest, most progressive airports in the world and ranks second globally in air cargo traffic. This agreement was signed in October, 2010 and the two airports will continue to work together to develop the air transport network between North East Asia and North America.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
ANS was reporting today that the airport is looking at opening a Chickenburger.
Found this on Reality-check.ca:
http://www.reality-check.ca/threads/...r-to-setup-YHZ

Quote:
Chickenburger to setup @ YHZ
CHICKENBURGER FLIES
TO STANFIELD INTERNATIONAL
By Amanda Fraser

Mickey MacDonald is one wishbone away from signing his first Chickenburger franchisee at the Halifax Stanfield International Airport.~

MacDonald, who has owned the iconic Bedford eatery since 2007, is close to a deal with HMS Host, the master food and beverage concessionaire at HIAA.

U.S.-based HMS operates most restaurant outlets in the airport, with the exception of Booster Juice and Tim Hortons. Most new developments go through the company.

MacDonald says an airport-based Chickenbuger is a "huge win."

"Everybody goes through the airport. The branding - that's what's it's all about at the end of the day, marketing and branding," he said.

There's a lot riding on this little chick, he said.

"The first one is the one we're really going to learn from. If we can learn and we can deliver, the quality and the service the Chickenburger has come to be known for, we can't fail. But if we fail in any of those things, it will be finished," he said.

MacDonald is also in the throes of negotiations with another franchisee, with whom he met yesterday, for a location in Downtown Halifax. But it won't be in his Queen Street spot.

He demolished a two-storey structure at 1470-74 Queen in 2009, and had said construction of the second location - which he intended to own corporately - could commence this year (see allnovascotia 2011-03-09).

"The Queen Street one has kind of gone to the back burner because of all the work we're doing at Mills, we've got the Daily Grind open now. We've got a lot of irons in the fire," he said.

He declined to disclose franchise fees.

"This is our first one. We haven't really nailed down a figure," he said.

His son Colin has been developing procedure and operations manuals for the franchise.

Peter Spurway, vp corporate communications and concession development at HIAA, has been promoting the arrivals and departures areas of the airport for new ventures.

He says HIAA was keen to broaden its product, and to have a Halifax brand represented at the airport.

His wife Nancy suggested the Chickenburger, so he contacted MacDonald, connected him to HMS Host, and got the ball rolling.

Spurway says he hopes to have everything finalized within the next month, and have the Chickenburger open in August or September.

He is also negotiating with HMS to add a Starbucks Coffee to the pre-security area.

Typically, tenants provide HIAA with a minimum annual guarantee, and HIAA gets a percentage of sales above that guarantee.

Food, beverage and retail services bring in revenue of about $6 million to HIAA, which served 3.5 million passengers in 2010.

Airport eateries all over the country have seen business increase since airlines started charging for food on domestic flights.

The Chicken Burger will replace Brisket Deli, which was also run by HMS Host.
Wow that looks like we could have four chicken burgers in the near future. One at the airport, two downtown and the original in bedford.

Also good to hear they trying to open a 2nd Starbucks in the pre-security area.

Last edited by q12; Apr 3, 2011 at 3:02 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure