HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
But I think Biden had just enough appeal to the suburban communities due to his more moderate approach on defunding the police than I think Bernie would have had - even though I don't think Bernie would have ever come out in support of such policy.
I think many pundits would agree, but I'm skeptical. This assumes that exurban and rural voters base their vote on concern for urban areas, when all other indications are that they absolutely loathe urban areas. They love when Trump calls Chicago worse than Mogadishu or when he claims NYC and Seattle are "outlaw jurisdictions" or whatever the hell he calls them. They worship the "troll the urbanites and elitists" candidate.

So if a random rural voter in Wisconsin was worried about unrest in Kenosha, I'm not clear why that would make them more apt to vote for the "cities suck and get what they deserve" candidate. Kenosha is a working class small Rust Belt city and those turned more Trump in 2020, IMO not because they were worried about urban America but because they're Trumpist to the core.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 11:34 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I think many pundits would agree, but I'm skeptical. This assumes that exurban and rural voters base their vote on concern for urban areas, when all other indications are that they absolutely loathe urban areas. They love when Trump calls Chicago worse than Mogadishu or when he claims NYC and Seattle are "outlaw jurisdictions" or whatever the hell he calls them. They worship the "troll the urbanites and elitists" candidate.

So if a random rural voter in Wisconsin was worried about unrest in Kenosha, I'm not clear why that would make them more apt to vote for the "cities suck and get what they deserve" candidate. Kenosha is a working class small Rust Belt city and those turned more Trump in 2020, IMO not because they were worried about urban America but because they're Trumpist to the core.
I think it plays into a narrative overall that fires up these voters, even if they're not convinced a roving gang of ANTIFA is going to make their way down Rural Route 9 to attack Bob's Bait Shop. But as I mentioned in another post (last on the last page), Trump is very good at scapegoating certain groups to fire up these more conservative white voters and I think it's a big reason why he has done better in rustbelt states than past Republicans.

Beyond that, at this point, we're not just talking rural voters anymore. I mentioned how Biden did either marginally, or significantly better than Hillary in suburban counties in these states - specifically focusing on Wisconsin and Pennsylvania. Trump absolutely attempted to align Biden with the Defund Police crowd and this threat that electing Democrats would continue to lead to chaos in the cities and maybe it would then spill over to the suburbs.

I don't think it was as effective with Biden as it would have been with Bernie because Biden had little association with the Black Lives Matter movement or a connection with the more progressive members of the House who were often used as lightning rods for Trump's attacks (The Squad, who were strong Bernie supporters). In fact, what's interesting is that in Ilhan Omar's district, Biden actually out-performed her by sixteen points - winning her district with 80% of the vote. Those margins matter. Everything at that point matters because we're talking extremely close races. Now, I get Biden won Minnesota relatively easy and it's not an exact comparison. But I think it does give insight into how Biden likely performed better among moderate voters than a Bernie would and unless Bernie can halt Trump's appeal to rural voters, while also equaling Biden's appeal to urban Black voters, those margins in suburban Philadelphia or suburban Detroit or suburban Milwaukee do start to matter.

If Bernie only does marginally worse than Biden did in suburban Philadelphia, maybe because Trump's rhetoric breaks through just enough due to Bernie's perceived left-wing politics, that's likely enough to lose him Pennsylvania.

What's interesting is that Biden won moderate voters 58-41 in Pennsylvania. That is a 17-point margin. In 2016, Hillary won this group but only 53-43.

So, not only did Trump do two-points worse among Moderate voters in 2020 in Pennsylvania, Biden did five-points better than Hillary did. In 2016, Moderates made up 40% of the electorate. In 2020, it was 42%.

That's the state right there. If Biden had done only ten-points better than Trump among this group, he almost certainly loses Pennsylvania.

Biden also did better among liberal voters than Hillary (91% to Hillary's 85%) and Trump did two-points better among conservative voters than he did in 2016 (but Biden did the exact same as Hillary).

I could be wrong but I don't know if Bernie equals those numbers - at least outside the liberal voters and considering Biden won Pennsylvania by 82,000 votes, I don't think it's absurd to say Bernie maybe loses the state similar to Hillary in 2016.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 11:48 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Kenosha is a working class small Rust Belt city and those turned more Trump in 2020, IMO not because they were worried about urban America but because they're Trumpist to the core.
Trump's margin over biden in kenosha county was only +3.2 (44,972 trump votes vs. 42,193 biden votes), so I don't think it's fair to characterize it as "Trumpist to the core".

It's a pretty damn purple county.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 29, 2020 at 12:14 AM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 12:16 AM

I ran the numbers to see who was the last Republican to win the New York metro area:

George H. W. Bush won the then-New York MSA over Dukakis in 1988 by a razor-thin margin of 49.55% (3,188,855) to 49.41% (3,179,587).

The 1988 election was so evenly matched between the city and suburbs that it would come down to what borders you use. (I was using the 1983 definition, which is only three counties off of the current definition.)

1984 wasn't close in the New York MSA though, as Reagan runs up the score in New Jersey and Long Island en route to a 54.4%-45.1% win.

(Coolidge was the last Republican to win New York City proper.)

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 12:27 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Trump's margin over biden in kenosha county was only +3.2 (44,972 trump votes vs. 42,193 biden votes), so I don't think it's fair to characterize it as "Trumpist to the core".

And as I pointed out, it was the only suburban Milwaukee County where Trump did better than he did in 2016. I don't think that's a coincidence. Hillary barely lost this county in 2016 by something like .3 points. It's also a county Obama carried in his two election wins.

So, I agree. Definitely not a Trumpist County to the core, especially when the City of Kenosha itself is 10% Black.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

Kenosha has traditionally been really heavily politically divided between the very Democratic city of Kenosha, and the hard-right suburbs.

Kenosha actually did shift about 3% toward Trump this election though - even though most of eastern Wisconsin shifted leftward - so I think it's possible the protests had some effect locally.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 12:40 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

Kenosha actually did shift about 3% toward Trump this election though - even though most of eastern Wisconsin shifted leftward - so I think it's possible the protests had some effect locally.
oh, i'm not disagreeing with that.

i was just pushing back against the characterization of kenosha being "Trumpist to the core".

it's a very purple county, and the protests there could've certainly moved a small percentage of votes locally.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 29, 2020 at 1:55 AM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 2:51 AM

Here are the currently over 1M MSAs that have been blue since at least Bill Clinton (using the 1980s definitions, so Cleveland/Akron, Los Angeles/Inland Empire, and San Francisco/San Jose are all combined).

Last went Republican in 1972 (Nixon over McGovern):
Buffalo
Cleveland/Akron
Minneapolis/St. Paul (thanks, Mondale)
Washington, DC (1980 was very close)

Last went Republican in 1980 (Reagan over Carter):
San Francisco-San Jose

Last went Republican in 1984 (Reagan over Mondale):
Boston
Chicago (1988 was very close)
Hartford
Milwaukee (several points bluer in '88 than Chicago)
Portland, OR
Providence
Seattle

Last went Republican in 1988 (Bush over Dukakis):
Detroit
Los Angeles
Memphis
Miami
New York
Philadelphia
(St. Louis would be here but Trump won the MSA in 2016)
Tucson

The split between Buffalo and Cleveland staying blue throughout the 80s versus Detroit going Reagan-Bush is surprising.

Checking the 2003 definitions, Atlanta and New Orleans MSAs last went Republican in 2004, while Denver MSA last went Republican in 2000 -- by 288 votes!

Last edited by ChiSoxRox; Nov 29, 2020 at 3:57 AM. Reason: Memphis

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 3:43 AM

Fascinating. I know Michigan actually voted D in 1968, while Illinois voted R (UAW?)

Also Boston I guess was the only major metro that voted for McGovern, since Massachusetts was the only state he carried. And yet Reagan won Mass. twice. It would be interesting to know why.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Fascinating. I know Michigan actually voted D in 1968, while Illinois voted R (UAW?)

Also Boston I guess was the only major metro that voted for McGovern, since Massachusetts was the only state he carried. And yet Reagan won Mass. twice. It would be interesting to know why.
Reagan resonated much more in the suburbs than Nixon. McGovern took Essex, Norfolk, and Worcester counties; Reagan won all three both times.

Even in blue counties, Reagan narrowed the score. Middlesex County (Cambridge up to Lowell and Lawrence) gave McGovern a large cushion (76,279 votes and 12.3% point lead), whereas Reagan kept his losses in Middlesex to within 2% each time.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 4:01 AM

Perhaps the Ted Kennedy primary challenge to Carter played a role as well and John Anderson cut into some of the D vote. Then Reagan was massively popular in '84 so he won all but one state.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Perhaps the Ted Kennedy primary challenge to Carter played a role as well and John Anderson cut into some of the D vote. Then Reagan was massively popular in '84 so he won all but one state.
Definitely.

Per Wiki, "Anderson proved very popular with liberal and moderate voters in New England who viewed Reagan as too far to the right and with normally leaning Democratic voters who were dissatisfied with the policies of the Carter Administration. New England overall would prove to be Anderson's strongest region in the nation, with all 6 New England states giving double-digit percentages to Anderson."

Last edited by ChiSoxRox; Nov 29, 2020 at 5:13 AM. Reason: Addendum was a reach

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 4:56 AM
They all float down here

Anderson absolutely cost Carter Massachusetts in 1980. Reagan won by about 4,000 votes. Anderson took home 382,000 votes.

It was likely the same in New York and Maine. Not that it matters any, though lol because Carter got worked all over.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 5:37 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I don't really see the evidence that Trump's law and order message was successful. If anything the evidence suggests that it was out of touch. The "Democrats want to defund police" narrative was pushed by Republicans and aimed directly at white suburban moderates. Since that message did not result in an increase of support in the suburbs, it was categorically a failure, even if people want to spin it otherwise. I'm also not even that convinced that it actually cost Democrats down ballot races that they would've otherwise won (Max Rose was always going to lose).

I guess you could argue that Trump would've done even worse in the suburbs in the absence of the civil unrest, but that just means he never had any path to re-election.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 9:08 PM

Trump's hold on Appalachia is such a contrast with how the region rejected Saint Reagan, even in the 1984 landslide. Here is the 1984 county map:

Seattle, Los Angeles, and Miami are all Republican sweeps -- but the then 5 county Pittsburgh MSA is a Mondale sweep!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRox View Post
Trump's hold on Appalachia is such a contrast with how the region rejected Saint Reagan, even in the 1984 landslide. Here is the 1984 county map:

Seattle, Los Angeles, and Miami are all Republican sweeps -- but the then 5 county Pittsburgh MSA is a Mondale sweep!
Coal and Steel labor unions

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 11:03 PM
They all float down here

West Virginia was about as much of a lock for Democrats as any state at its height of partisan politics. Yeah, Reagan won it in 1984 but he only won it by eleven points. It's a lot but compare that to Trump's margins today (he defeated Biden there by nearly 40 points) and it's amazing how dramatic that state was lost for the Democrats.

Hell, Dukakis, the out of touch Northeastern Liberal, won the state in 1988, despite losing literally every state that surrounds West Virginia (Pennsylvania, Ohio, Virginia and Kentucky).

In 1996, Clinton won West Virginia by 15 points. Four years later, Bush took it by about six-points and it's never come close to going Democratic again. Just remarkable how quickly it shifted between the end of Clinton's second term and Al Gore's candidacy. Of course, the economy saw its biggest shift in technology in the 1990s and that left places like West Virginia behind, which created an overall resentment that lasts today.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 11:12 PM

Reaganism was stronger in the booming suburbs of the New South and weaker in the rural South and Appalachia where there were more ancestral Democrats.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 11:14 PM

It was really after 1994 midterms, or 1996 presidential election, that rural whites swung hard to the GOP.

When Bill Clinton won GA he was weaker in the Atlanta suburbs and ran stronger in the rural areas.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 11:28 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
It was really after 1994 midterms, or 1996 presidential election, that rural whites swung hard to the GOP.

When Bill Clinton won GA he was weaker in the Atlanta suburbs and ran stronger in the rural areas.
Yes. The 1994 midterms are likely a defining moment in the later 20th Century political paradigm. Rural Democrats were completely decimated in that election and many of those districts haven't come close to going Democratic again.

Clinton was able to hold just enough of the coalition together for his reelection but the Democrats have not been able to come close to replicating success in rural America since.

Just compare the county maps from 1988 (an election Democrats lost by a fairly comfortable margin), 2004 (an election Kerry barely lost) and 2016 (another election the Democrats barely lost):

1988:

2004:

2016:

The Democrats have seen huge gains in suburban counties, specifically in the NE and the South (Virginia, now Georgia), as well as gains in the Southwest but they have absolutely been erased from contention in the rural South and Midwest of the country.

No better example of the Midwest evaporation than the area around the border of Iowa/Wisconsin/Minnesota/Illinois.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions