HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
that's a good sign when the other big markets (Toronto, Vancouver, and even Calgary) are trending downwards.
I think you'll see BC start to rebound as the team is starting to come together and it looks like the sale is finally imminent. Not worried about Calgary, and Toronto, who knows, thank God they have the money behind them.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
To my eyes the crowds in Montreal look noticeably bigger than they were in the last couple of seasons
Looked good to me vs Calgary

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 3:32 PM

Quote:
To my eyes the crowds in Montreal look noticeably bigger than they were in the last couple of seasons... which is funny given that the announced attendance numbers aren't much different than before. The crowds also appear to be much louder and more engaged with the game, which isn't surprising given that the team is way better this season than anything they've seen in recent years. I agree with thurmas, they can probably do away with the tarps.

Khari Jones is such a likeable guy, I always loved him as Bomber QB and I will adopt the Als as my playoff team as the Bombers continue to head for an inevitable first round flameout...
Waiting for the inevitable Sportsnet's Arash Madani poop on the Als/CFL in 3..2..1...

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Waiting for the inevitable Sportsnet's Arash Madani poop on the Als/CFL in 3..2..1...
Pfft, as if his opinion mattered...

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 3:54 PM

Quote:
provided he can squeeze into a bathroom stall to actually poop on the cfl as he has gotten so damn fat!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
provided he can squeeze into a bathroom stall to actually poop on the cfl as he has gotten so damn fat!
All those crustless cucumber sandwiches at the Tennis tour free smorgs eventually have an effect!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 4:40 PM

Quote:
All those crustless cucumber sandwiches at the Tennis tour free smorgs eventually have an effect!
It can't be the free chicken at a Toronto NFL pressbox, that's only the dream. Dream the impossible dream

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Pfft, as if his opinion mattered...
There's a reason why he is known as Trash, called out twice for his bias by the CFL PR guy (an unprecedented thing) and then his own colleague Bob McCown told him on the air he didn't have to tow the company line.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Looked good to me vs Calgary

I was at the game, in there somewhere. Very enthusiastic crowd. It wasn’t a full house but man it does get loud 11 rows from field level with almost 19,000 fans.
The 13th man definitely contributed to the Als victory.
I enjoyed the atmosphere. Lots of music and stuff going on to keep fans engaged. Similar to my experience at Mosaic in Regina. I hope other CFL cities like Toronto and Vancouver are giving the same experience.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 3:19 AM

I think I've come to terms with this Bomber season not ending the way I thought it was going to....

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 2:37 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Jim Popp has been fired as Argos GM.
Understandable move, but the timing is a little weird, no?

UPDATE - Seems Pinball Clemons is taking the job.

Last edited by Horus; Oct 8, 2019 at 3:04 PM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 3:08 PM

The writing was on the wall, firing him now lets them move on with things and start laying the groundwork for next year.

So who's next in the line of fire? I can think of one certain Winnipeg Blue Bombers head coach who might be a candidate... can anyone guess who I'm thinking of?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 3:18 PM

Well, that didn't take long. Argos hire Pinball Clemons as GM.

I honestly wonder how much more they can ask of that man... he has delivered for the Argos as a player, as a coach, as president, now they want him to be GM? At some point the Argos need to find someone else and give poor Pinball a break... he's been carrying the load for the Argos for over 30 years now.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 3:18 PM

Argos are a tire fire. If I were them go hard to land Mike O'Shea as coach try and sign Arbuckle as QB in free agency and do what the eskimos did with free tickets for children to get families into the stadium and sell the upper deck seats for $5 bucks to fill up the stadium to generate some buzz and make it look better on tv.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 3:19 PM

^ Argos can have O'Shea as far as I'm concerned. Just get him out of Winnipeg.

As far as marketing goes, this season is a writeoff. Even discounted tickets won't work for them. Frankly at this point you'd have to be out of your gourd to spend money on Argos tickets. I mean fair enough if you have season tickets you've already paid for, but yeesh, I'd imagine going to watch a local high school team would probably be more entertaining than the Argonauts.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 3:27 PM

to be fair the argos have not had a really good REGULAR SEASON in many many years the 2012 and 2017 grey cups were flukey teams that no one saw coming so it was unable to generate real fan interest over a long span of time.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 3:28 PM

Quote:
^ Argos can have O'Shea as far as I'm concerned. Just get him out of Winnipeg.

As far as marketing goes, this season is a writeoff. Even discounted tickets won't work for them. Frankly at this point you'd have to be out of your gourd to spend money on Argos tickets. I mean fair enough if you have season tickets you've already paid for, but yeesh, I'd imagine going to watch a local high school team would probably be more entertaining than the Argonauts.
I agree Bombers should make Lapo head coach as his wife is a Manitoban and his kid goes to school here its a natural fit.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 3:41 PM

O'Shea's contract is up after this season, the Bombers would have to be nuts to renew him with his craptastic record. I think he'd make a good pick for Argos HC, though.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Well, that didn't take long. Argos hire Pinball Clemons as GM.

I honestly wonder how much more they can ask of that man... he has delivered for the Argos as a player, as a coach, as president, now they want him to be GM? At some point the Argos need to find someone else and give poor Pinball a break... he's been carrying the load for the Argos for over 30 years now.
I read that John Murphy (previously with the Riders and Stamps) will be doing a lot of the heavy lifting in the GM shop while Pinball focuses on getting the Argos back to some semblance of respectability.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 4:04 PM

^ That's a pretty good combination, IMO. Murphy seems like a good hire and having him paired with Pinball should pay dividends for the Argonauts.

I am surprised by what a rough ride Popp has had these past few years. I mean, losing Calvillo in Montreal and Ray in Toronto didn't help, but the Argos are just such a basketcase this season... I didn't expect it to come to that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada